First  Prev  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people hate harem anime so much?
15054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 2/25/17 , edited 2/25/17

LavenderMintRose wrote:

Yeah, ^ this.

Harem genre isn't a story, really. Dating sim games basically just have an excuse plot to get a bunch of hot character designs and voice actors on the screen.

Anime adaptations of these generally feel like a waste of time because of this, but there are exceptions - /kamigami-no-asobi


At least when they are in game form, not all the guys fall for the guy/girl. I guess it's hard to adapt that in the anime but there are ways if they're creative. People are just too lazy to try finding them


Quaternion wrote:

I'll just opine here... specifically, what got to me was the harem overriding the plot. I honestly felt that shows like Chrome Shelled Regios and Total Eclipse could have been legitimately good, and from the first few episodes, you're like "yes, this should be interesting." Then the harem stuff kicks into full gear, and when there's a choice between plot and harem stuff... they focus on the harem stuff.

It's just so disappointing to see the wasted potential: they actually do come up with interesting scenarios, but 9/10 times, they go "let's focus on the flirting/tsundering/whatever, the fight to save humanity stuff isn't that big a deal." >.<

(*tsundering you saw it here first!)


Exactly! They could have been done better but they instead focus on the harem fanservice than the story.
81 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/25/17

tsuruhami wrote:

Beside Bakemonogatari, is there any harem that have great story at the same level as Death Note, Attack Titan or FMA though? (I don't count Steins;Gate as harem because not every single female character fall in love the protagonist)


While I agree that harem anime are generally incredibly bland, comparing them to titles like Death Note, AoT or FMA is something of a false equivalence in my opinion. These kind of plots would be hard to really make work as a harem at all (particularly DN, with the plot essentially being Light vs. L). I'd be more inclined to compare them to slice of life anime in general. In slice of life, it's pretty much essential to have good character design, with the inherent lack of a progressing "plotline" (imagine K-On if all the girls had less personality than their instruments... *shudders*). It kinda irks me that these slice of life anime often seem to work somewhat well, whereas harem anime just... don't. It shouldn't be that way round.
174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 2/25/17

Noerdic wrote:


tsuruhami wrote:

Beside Bakemonogatari, is there any harem that have great story at the same level as Death Note, Attack Titan or FMA though? (I don't count Steins;Gate as harem because not every single female character fall in love the protagonist)


While I agree that harem anime are generally incredibly bland, comparing them to titles like Death Note, AoT or FMA is something of a false equivalence in my opinion. These kind of plots would be hard to really make work as a harem at all (particularly DN, with the plot essentially being Light vs. L). I'd be more inclined to compare them to slice of life anime in general. In slice of life, it's pretty much essential to have good character design, with the inherent lack of a progressing "plotline" (imagine K-On if all the girls had less personality than their instruments... *shudders*). It kinda irks me that these slice of life anime often seem to work somewhat well, whereas harem anime just... don't. It shouldn't be that way round.


Maybe it's because slice of life tend to have all female/male (Kinmoza, New Game! Etc etc) cast or a gender equal ensemble (Hyouka). I don't think I can like Kinmoza or K-On if the girls spend their time fighting over one guy instead being friendly to each other. Someone even suggested like this: How to improve harem anime : remove the guy.
34835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/25/17

tsuruhami wrote:

1. No CONCLUSION. Dude, please choose either one girl or date all of them. Or dump all of them. Please. I need a clear conclusion.

2. Too many (dumb) misunderstanding.

Beside Bakemonogatari, is there any harem that have great story at the same level as Death Note, Attack Titan or FMA though? (I don't count Steins;Gate as harem because not every single female character fall in love the protagonist)


Don't think any of those shows have good stories but Shuffle and We Without Wings are really good. And are both conclusive.
174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 2/25/17

dwilson2000 wrote:


tsuruhami wrote:

1. No CONCLUSION. Dude, please choose either one girl or date all of them. Or dump all of them. Please. I need a clear conclusion.

2. Too many (dumb) misunderstanding.

Beside Bakemonogatari, is there any harem that have great story at the same level as Death Note, Attack Titan or FMA though? (I don't count Steins;Gate as harem because not every single female character fall in love the protagonist)


Don't think any of those shows have good stories but Shuffle and We Without Wings are really good. And are both conclusive.


Thank you! It seems that there's yandere on Shuffle? I blame Yuno from Mirai Nikki for make me liking yandere.
81 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/25/17

tsuruhami wrote:

Maybe it's because slice of life tend to have all female/male (Kinmoza, New Game! Etc etc) cast or a gender equal ensemble (Hyouka). I don't think I can like Kinmoza or K-On if the girls spend their time fighting over one guy instead being friendly to each other. Someone even suggested like this: How to improve harem anime : remove the guy.


Honestly, I don't feel it's the gender balance that's the issue here, it's just the writers and their own incompetence. It's not necessary for a harem anime to spend every waking moment on the "harem" aspect. There needs to be a balance of elements for anything to work. I mean, even if you're going to insist on all girls being in love with the guy as your definition of "harem" (which, to be fair, is not far off the definition I'd use), it's perfectly possible for said girls to get along, at least civilly, most of the time. This would be necessary, in my opinion, for the anime to work. The issue is that harem anime writers can't seem to avoid the "love n-gons" that they develop.

Tl;dr: Harem writers, learn to write things other than ecchi, flirting and tsundere antics. Plot and character development are nice things.
14217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 2/25/17
I think a lot of people have the mentality of fan service = ignore everything auto bad. Also many harems come form vns which go through each character's route, so an all inclusive anime is going to merge all that together making it feel like nothing concludes. Also I think if you mix the formula up too much people just stop calling it a harem.

Like take Dragon maid for example if all you did was keep the anime line for line scene for scene and change Kobayashi to a guy... all of the sudden it has tons of harem cliches... A lot more parts would feel fan servicey and less people would like it lol. You stop asking who are they going to fall for because it is two girls... It is partly because of the fans.

Basically it just has a negative stigma. So when you make a harem people tend to say X and Y about them.
174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 2/25/17

Noerdic wrote:


tsuruhami wrote:

Maybe it's because slice of life tend to have all female/male (Kinmoza, New Game! Etc etc) cast or a gender equal ensemble (Hyouka). I don't think I can like Kinmoza or K-On if the girls spend their time fighting over one guy instead being friendly to each other. Someone even suggested like this: How to improve harem anime : remove the guy.


Honestly, I don't feel it's the gender balance that's the issue here, it's just the writers and their own incompetence. It's not necessary for a harem anime to spend every waking moment on the "harem" aspect. There needs to be a balance of elements for anything to work. I mean, even if you're going to insist on all girls being in love with the guy as your definition of "harem" (which, to be fair, is not far off the definition I'd use), it's perfectly possible for said girls to get along, at least civilly, most of the time. This would be necessary, in my opinion, for the anime to work. The issue is that harem anime writers can't seem to avoid the "love n-gons" that they develop.

Tl;dr: Harem writers, learn to write things other than ecchi, flirting and tsundere antics. Plot and character development are nice things.


You're right. Maybe that's why I like Gokukoku no Brynhildr. The mystery and action is ok. The girls are best friends and ready to die for each other.
I think one of my biggest pet peeve with battle-action-harem is the strong independent women became damsel-in-distress that need to be rescued by the hero. But to be fair it all applied to non-harem too.
llunga 
3372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Mᴇᴡɴɪ
Offline
Posted 2/26/17


Maybe it annoys them.
34835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/26/17

tsuruhami wrote:


dwilson2000 wrote:


tsuruhami wrote:

1. No CONCLUSION. Dude, please choose either one girl or date all of them. Or dump all of them. Please. I need a clear conclusion.

2. Too many (dumb) misunderstanding.

Beside Bakemonogatari, is there any harem that have great story at the same level as Death Note, Attack Titan or FMA though? (I don't count Steins;Gate as harem because not every single female character fall in love the protagonist)


Don't think any of those shows have good stories but Shuffle and We Without Wings are really good. And are both conclusive.


Thank you! It seems that there's yandere on Shuffle? I blame Yuno from Mirai Nikki for make me liking yandere.


Yes, there is a yandere.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M
Offline
Posted 2/26/17

ShogunRay wrote:

I understand they're goofy shows usually and dont make much sense sometimes but people literally loathe them. Their usual argument is that there is no plot but why would you expect some deep layered plot about a show that has girls with huge boobs in little outfits. my only issue with harems is the dumb unrealistic main characters. what man no matter what age or how shy would be able to have three girls mushing their boobs in his face and saying "no no stop " before running away .


I don't think it's so much that they hate them as they would like to see some variation in stead of the same plot over and over. which is a problem with to many of them. That said I can remember guys in high school who were like that that, as soon as a girl talked to them they spazzed.

17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / O
Offline
Posted 2/26/17
As in all things entertainment many are good in small doses but having a full diet of it gets boring. Regardless of 'harems' HS anime in general can only be watched so much and that makes up a pretty big chunk of the available titles.

Like every other genre everywhere the majority of anime likely just isnt very good or memorable. Networks have time slots to fill. They will go for low price and high ratings every time if they can get away with it. And of course low price means you arent going to get the best staff. When a formula works the bosses are loathe to change it. Its rare indeed to find low price, high ratings, and talented staff all in one. Anime has its fair share of "The Love Boat".
25418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/26/17 , edited 2/26/17

Beowulf1961 wrote:

I don't think it's so much that they hate them as they would like to see some variation in stead of the same plot over and over. which is a problem with to many of them. That said I can remember guys in high school who were like that that, as soon as a girl talked to them they spazzed.



Not far off. I used to watch harems, I did and still like some harems. The problem is that 7-8/10 of every damn harem made seems like they are written with a copy pasted template they pulled off the internet on "how to write a battle harem".

Black/brown/white haired protag, 3+ girls all of archetypal personalities that like said protag romantically for no particular reason (that quite often live with or near him), arbitrary reason for them to engage in combat against *insert antagonistic entity here*, extra points if protag has reasons to do ecchi things to them (don't get me started on the sex act power up hentai novels getting non hentai adaptations recently).

Problem is this genre is a quick sell :/
174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 2/27/17 , edited 2/27/17
Others have said why they hate harem.

But it's not true that "people" hate harem anime. Many straight guys like harem. If you go to reddit or male dominated website you can see they like Monster Musume, Bakemonogatari, High School DxD etc etc. But, how many men will enjoy Monster Musume or Bakemonogatari if it's reverse or yaoi harem even though the plot is still the same?
63584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/17

dwilson2000 wrote:

Yes, there is a bad adaptation.

fixed.
First  Prev  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.