First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
The unacceptable excuse..
19972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/14


I see.

Posted 4/18/14


Not sure if you saw it. Page 2, I gave an example...
9522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fort Myer
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
Well if you're operating the AT4 weapon system and have no idea what you're doing its probably best you just stand there and let the instructor know you have no idea what you're doing. Things could get messy if you just go about doing things yourself.
19972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/14 , edited 4/18/14

demongurrl13 wrote:



Not sure if you saw it. Page 2, I gave an example...


I just read it and my conclusion about you was right: you seem like a caring teacher and one that actually gives a dang. Are you intimidating to the students or do you ask them what they don't understand in a kind tone?
Posted 4/18/14

LightningChocobo wrote:

I just read it and my conclusion about you was right: you seem like a caring teacher and one that actually gives a dang. Are you intimidating to the students or do you ask them what they don't understand in a kind tone?


Why, thank you. I certainly do my best to make sure they are learning. I would like to think that I'm not intimidating. I mean, I try to be as nice and patient with them as I possibly can. I do understand where some of the reluctance might be coming from though. I teach adults, most of them old enough to be my parents. I assume sometimes it's quite embarrassing to have to constantly ask help from someone much younger than them. There are some who wait until after class to ask me their questions though so I always stay after class in case anyone needed to talk to me.
19972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

demongurrl13 wrote:


LightningChocobo wrote:

I just read it and my conclusion about you was right: you seem like a caring teacher and one that actually gives a dang. Are you intimidating to the students or do you ask them what they don't understand in a kind tone?


Why, thank you. I certainly do my best to make sure they are learning. I would like to think that I'm not intimidating. I mean, I try to be as nice and patient with them as I possibly can. I do understand where some of the reluctance might be coming from though. I teach adults, most of them old enough to be my parents. I assume sometimes it's quite embarrassing to have to constantly ask help from someone much younger than them. There are some who wait until after class to ask me their questions though so I always stay after class in case anyone needed to talk to me.


Oh, I see. Seeing how you teach people older than you I can tell where their reluctance comes from. However, I believe (just my opinion) that part of being an adult is throwing away the stupid conception of pride and knowing you don't know everything and that you can learn something valuable from anyone - regardless of age. In believing that, the excuse of "I don't know" and trying to preserve their adult pride doesn't work for me. It especially isn't acceptable when you are the one in position to be teaching them in the first place. So I agree with you: the "I don't know" excuse just doesn't cut it - especially when you have a caring teacher. They're lucky to have you, considering a lot of teachers worry more about their paycheck at the end of the day than worrying about the material taught during the day. Kudos to you for teaching. No matter what anyone says (like that one guy), teachers like you are very important to society.
22344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / IL
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
Plenty of co-workers have done it. It's surprising how much work people will do to get out of working--and then collect money for it at the end of the week. I want to smack them all in the mouth until their teeth fall out.
78672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Northeast
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

demongurrl13 wrote:

I rephrased it that way because that IS what your statement is saying.


Actually, it isn't, hence your phrasing it as a leading question. I'm not sure I believe your profession anyways at this point. Either way, carry on.
78672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Northeast
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

LightningChocobo wrote:Teachers irrelevant?


This is a strawman argument, where you put words in other people's mouths and haughtily declare your own answers. Please use the quote facility.
19972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

isisprince wrote:


LightningChocobo wrote:Teachers irrelevant?


This is a strawman argument, where you put words in other people's mouths and haughtily declare your own answers. Please use the quote facility.


Do you consider teachers irrelevant?
Posted 4/18/14 , edited 4/18/14


isisprince wrote:

Actually, it isn't, hence your phrasing it as a leading question. I'm not sure I believe your profession anyways at this point. Either way, carry on.


How is it not what you're saying? If teachers are not needed for learning "Ever," as you once said, what are they for? Please, do enlighten me. What exactly are you saying? What use is there for teachers if people don't need them?



LightningChocobo wrote:

Oh, I see. Seeing how you teach people older than you I can tell where their reluctance comes from. However, I believe (just my opinion) that part of being an adult is throwing away the stupid conception of pride and knowing you don't know everything and that you can learn something valuable from anyone - regardless of age. In believing that, the excuse of "I don't know" and trying to preserve their adult pride doesn't work for me. It especially isn't acceptable when you are the one in position to be teaching them in the first place. So I agree with you: the "I don't know" excuse just doesn't cut it - especially when you have a caring teacher. They're lucky to have you, considering a lot of teachers worry more about their paycheck at the end of the day than worrying about the material taught during the day. Kudos to you for teaching. No matter what anyone says (like that one guy), teachers like you are very important to society.


Thank you. I appreciate that you recognize the work I do.
78672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Northeast
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

LightningChocobo wrote:


isisprince wrote:


LightningChocobo wrote:Teachers irrelevant?


This is a strawman argument, where you put words in other people's mouths and haughtily declare your own answers. Please use the quote facility.


Do you consider teachers irrelevant?


No, I do not. And that's a great way to converse with someone. Ask them the question without leading it. It avoids all of the communication problems.
78672 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Northeast
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

demongurrl13 wrote:
How is it not what you're saying? If teachers are not needed for learning "Ever," as you once said, what are they for? Please, do enlighten me. What exactly are you saying? What use is there for teachers if people don't need them?


Please check the following English statements/fragments:
"So you think teachers are irrelevant?"
"Teachers are useless?"
"So you are saying teachers are worthless. /facepalm"
" Do you think teachers are needed?"

Be honest with yourself when you read these and choose which one you think is the best way at sincerely communicating with someone else.

To answer your question, you do not need a teacher to learn something. That's a fact. It just is. There are many ways to learn things, including books, YouTube, and natural discovery.

What are teachers for? Hopefully, learning enablement, but more often than not, certification. The entire public school system and college are all about testing this and that. SATs, IQ tests, high school diploma, any kind of certification, it's all about test taking and teachers function as a proctor. So yes, teacher's teach and you can learn from them, but you are not helpless at learning without them.

I didn't cover my postings in disclaimers about the validity of your profession because I didn't think I needed to, but would you feel better if I said teachers can be a valuable part of the learning process?
19972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/14


Okay, I am starting to see your point of view: you don't consider teachers 'unimportant'. You appreciate them as an added source to help people learn. However, you consider self-teaching to be more useful. Correct?
11725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
I do that all the time in class and I did well enough to get into an elite school anyways. I'm happy with learning things by myself at my own pace rather than being prompted to do things. I balance this out by voluntarily answering when the class is being questioned whenever I feel like it.

If anyone doesn't like the fact that I do this then come at me bro(jk I love u guys). Seriously though, I end up doing a lot of thinking in the end, just when I feel comfortable with doing it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.