First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Madoka Magica and why I don't like it as much as everyone else.
9654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 4/17/14 , edited 4/17/14
The following will contain spoilers for those who haven't seen Madoka Magica (TV series, not the movies)! If you haven't seen it or simply don't care then read ahead. Also, if the disagreeing opinion of a stranger bothers you, save yourself some anger and turn away.

Before I start I should say that I don't dislike Madoka Magica, infact it was a fun ride, and the reason I feel the way I do about it may be because I'm a moron, that the show is 3deep5me, but regardless I wanted to voice a thought that often crosses my mind:

Is Madoka Magica really as good as people believe it to be? When people say why they find it so compelling, so often do I hear the same answer; that it's because it added a dark twist to what would otherwise be more of a light and fluffy genre. Problem is that's the only reason I ever hear as to why it's actually good, and I can't help but feel like many people underwent the thought process of 'Magical girls -> Surprisingly Dark-> Therefore Different -> Amazing'. While watching it I couldn't help but feel a lot of what I was seeing had been done before. Time travel, the death of a main character, essentially selling your soul, making a wish, characters suffering break downs. There wasn't much else different that made me think 'Holy Shit, that makes this anime of the year!' at all. Now obviously an anime doesn't have to be different to make it good, and Madoka was good in its execution for the most part, but that 'for the most part' brings me onto my next major problem:

Mami

She obviously gets the guillotine (so to speak) pretty early on, and I found that while it showed the viewer the whole 'holy shit, I did NOT see that coming' shaboodle, it still struck me as something that happened too early. I found it frustrating during the duration of the show, that this character which neither the protagonists, nor the viewers had any time to get attached to was being grieved over by said protagonists, and it felt forced and awkwardly unnatural to me. We'd seen her for what; 2 or 3 episodes? I mean, I get why they'd be shocked about her death, they're young girls who are experiencing a lot of supernatural shit at once, but they act like they'd known her for years. I feel if they wanted to pull that card they should have done a 24 episode show spanning 2 seasons as opposed to one.

Why do I write this now? Because I reached the final straw when I saw a comment someone made, not on this site, about the new anime WIXOSS (and for those who don't like the anime I'm calling dibs on the WEAKSAUCE pun). This commenter essentially said: at first they thought it would be along the lines of how Madoka handled things, but is now, by the third episode 'annoying' because Madoka surprised everyone by taking a few episodes to hit that dark turning point with Mami, while WIXOSS showed it would be dark from the get-go. To that I thought 'bullshit', because a show leading you into thinking it's the opposite of what it really is alone doesn't make it good. Maybe there are other reasons people so dearly treasure it, but I think it's because the 'it was a dark twist' thing is so easy to pull up when explaining why someone should give it a shot, that no other reasons are brought up, or at least I haven't seen any. I think my problem is less about how many people find it good, and more about how they find it utterly phenomenal, which I find is going a bit too far.

I'd also prefer if we can keep this civil and not go fullmetal elitist. I'm not looking for a fight or to hurt anyone's feelings, I'm just looking for other reasons people like the show outside of 'it's dark'. If you absolutely have to say something you think will irk me please also leave out 'no offence'. I know it sounds cocky but the second you say 'no offence' it's clear you want to say some really offensive shit and use that as a get out of jail free card.
39068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Online
Posted 4/17/14
Before reading, will any of these spoilers be for the third movie, or just the TV series?
9654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 4/17/14

Insomnist wrote:

Before reading, will any of these spoilers be for the third movie, or just the TV series?


Just the TV series. This topic is entirely about the TV series alone based on its own merit.
19014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alderaan
Online
Posted 4/17/14
I agree, I thought Madoka was good, but I didn't think it was like hall of fame great. Part of that though is because I saw Bokurano first.

Bokurano does depression, sacrifice, and betrayal with middle schoolers much better than Madoka does. Plus it has a wider range of characters with a wider range of problems, so there is just about something everyone can relate to. Finally, the ending of Madoka leaves me saying "Okay... so what was the point?" while the ending of Bokurano left me going "F*** NO! BULLS***!" Yeah I didn't like the ending to Bokurano, you could even say I hated it. But not because it was written badly, but more because it was a bad ending that was written very well. Anyway after watching the big ball depression that was Bokurano, everything in Madoka just seemed like child's play to me.

I believe that there are three main attributes that make Madoka so popular 1. Cute Girls 2. Plot Twist 3. Shock Factor. However Cute Girls really don't affect my opinion of an anime, and the shock factor really wasn't quite that shocking for me. So pretty much the plot twist is what got me, I was not expecting a dark toned magical girl show, although even that has been done before if you watch enough hentai.
61404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 4/17/14
Not every show is for everyone. You don't like it and that's perfectly fine. Everybody gets something different from a show. And just so you know, I did read your post. I can see why you feel that way but you make way too many assumptions about the reasons why people like MM.

Honestly, I'm burnt out from all the "why I don't like X" or "everything X did wrong" or "how X should have ended" crap. It's gotten extremely old. So, no offense, but I don't want to argue about why or why not a show is great.
9654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 4/17/14

deadpanditto wrote:

Not every show is for everyone. You don't like it and that's perfectly fine. Everybody gets something different from a show. And just so you know, I did read your post. I can see why you feel that way but you make way too many assumptions about the reasons why people like MM.

Honestly, I'm burnt out from all the "why I don't like X" or "everything X did wrong" or "how X should have ended" crap. It's gotten extremely old. So, no offense, but I don't want to argue about why or why not a show is great.


No offence, but if you don't want to argue about that and are so burnt out from it all, why did you come here, read it all and then bother to post? I understand I have different opinions, I just want to know what others people have besides 'it was unexpectedly dark'. Nothing wrong with seeking more knowledge.
28386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S
Offline
Posted 4/17/14
And so it begins *intertwine fingers*
61404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 4/17/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:

Not every show is for everyone. You don't like it and that's perfectly fine. Everybody gets something different from a show. And just so you know, I did read your post. I can see why you feel that way but you make way too many assumptions about the reasons why people like MM.

Honestly, I'm burnt out from all the "why I don't like X" or "everything X did wrong" or "how X should have ended" crap. It's gotten extremely old. So, no offense, but I don't want to argue about why or why not a show is great.


No offence, but if you don't want to argue about that and are so burnt out from it all, why did you come here, read it all and then bother to post? I understand I have different opinions, I just want to know what others people have besides 'it was unexpectedly dark'. Nothing wrong with seeking more knowledge.


Probably for the same reason you felt the need to post "Why I don't like MM...". If it was WIXOSS that annoyed you then why not talk about that and your issues there. It seems pointless and attention seeking to create a thread like this, but then again, I know that's overly pessimistic of me.
9654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 4/17/14 , edited 4/17/14

deadpanditto wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


deadpanditto wrote:

Not every show is for everyone. You don't like it and that's perfectly fine. Everybody gets something different from a show. And just so you know, I did read your post. I can see why you feel that way but you make way too many assumptions about the reasons why people like MM.

Honestly, I'm burnt out from all the "why I don't like X" or "everything X did wrong" or "how X should have ended" crap. It's gotten extremely old. So, no offense, but I don't want to argue about why or why not a show is great.


No offence, but if you don't want to argue about that and are so burnt out from it all, why did you come here, read it all and then bother to post? I understand I have different opinions, I just want to know what others people have besides 'it was unexpectedly dark'. Nothing wrong with seeking more knowledge.


Probably for the same reason you felt the need to post "Why I don't like MM...". If it was WIXOSS that annoyed you then why not talk about that and your issues there. It seems pointless and attention seeking to create a thread like this, but then again, I know that's overly pessimistic of me.


I made this thread to seek more knowledge on something I'm interested in. YOU came here seeking knowledge on a topic you were clearly dead set against from the start and felt the need to post about how you weren't going to answer. That is infinitely more attention seeking. It wasn't WIXOSS that annoyed me, this is something which, as I stated, has annoyed me for a long time, it's just that comment which made me remember these thoughts and decide to post them. WIXOSS was only mentioned for the brief sake of a comparison. A forum is, by definition 'a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged'. This is in exactly the right place.
61404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 4/17/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I made this thread to seek more knowledge on something I'm interested in. YOU came here seeking knowledge on a topic you were clearly dead set against from the start and felt the need to post about how you weren't going to answer. That is infinitely more attention seeking. It wasn't WIXOSS that annoyed me, this is something which, as I stated, has annoyed me for a long time, it's just that comment which made me remember these thoughts and decide to post them. WIXOSS was only mentioned for the brief sake of a comparison.


Yeah, fair enough point. As I said, this fell into a theme of things that have really started to annoy me and I shouldn't pester you about it. Mea culpa.

Anyway, to make amends for not staying on topic. I will say this: I don't like MM solely because it is dark. Structurally, in terms of foreshadowing and story layout, it is an excellently told story. People might not like the story it tells, but how it is told is very well done.
133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 4/17/14


BLACKOUTMK2, It honestly seems like they were trying to troll you, just ignore them >.>
25390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 4/17/14
Out of every anime i have ever seen, Madoka is probably the most conflicting for me in terms of it's popularity and the concept of it being a excellent anime. I think it's good but there is no way in hell i think it's as good as others make it seem.

xxJing pretty much covered a good bit of my thoughts so...
9654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 4/17/14

deadpanditto wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I made this thread to seek more knowledge on something I'm interested in. YOU came here seeking knowledge on a topic you were clearly dead set against from the start and felt the need to post about how you weren't going to answer. That is infinitely more attention seeking. It wasn't WIXOSS that annoyed me, this is something which, as I stated, has annoyed me for a long time, it's just that comment which made me remember these thoughts and decide to post them. WIXOSS was only mentioned for the brief sake of a comparison.


Yeah, fair enough point. As I said, this fell into a theme of things that have really started to annoy me and I shouldn't pester you about it. Mea culpa.

Anyway, to make amends for not staying on topic. I will say this: I don't like MM solely because it is dark. Structurally, in terms of foreshadowing and story layout, it is an excellently told story. People might not like the story it tells, but how it is told is very well done.


And I appreciate the actual reply. I will agree that it is a well told story, and I did indeed enjoy the twist, it's just that I don't feel it's so incomprehensibly exceptional that it deserves the vast amount of praise that it gets. Then again, different opinions, as I understand, and you have my thanks for pitching in.
1009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/17/14
Honestly, Madoka wasn't even that dark, at least compared to other anime Urobuchi worked on (F/Z, Psycho-Pass).

That being said, I don't see why it is so liked either.
For me, Madoka is an 8/10 anime. It had a decent plot but the motives for the characters were weak to say the least (I.e. Sayaka being angsty for the guy she loves & Sakura giving up her life in order to die with the girl she was just fighting to the death a few episodes earlier)
9654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Online
Posted 4/17/14

TheGrandStrategist wrote:

Honestly, Madoka wasn't even that dark, at least compared to other anime Urobuchi worked on (F/Z, Psycho-Pass).

That being said, I don't see why it is so liked either.
For me, Madoka is an 8/10 anime. It had a decent plot but the motives for the characters were weak to say the least (I.e. Sayaka being angsty for the guy she loves & Sakura giving up her life in order to die with the girl she was just fighting to the death a few episodes earlier)


Definitely another thought I have pondered. It's dark, sure, but not so psychologically twisted, nor gut-wrenchingly gory as many other anime. It's rather tame as far as that goes. I think it's because it's only dark 'by cutesy magical girl' standards that it shocked everyone. Kind of like a 3 year old muttering the words 'damn' and 'hell'. They're not that bad where cursing is concerned, but the thought of it coming from a 3 year old's mouth makes it more shocking.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.