First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Madoka Magica and why I don't like it as much as everyone else.
18045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/17/14 , edited 4/18/14
I don't even know how Madoka can be considered "dark" in the anime world.

It's not dark. To those people I say, LOL , here's a copy of Blood C and Higurashi, knock yourself out you pussy.
But it's a "deep" show they say? Here's Ergo Proxy and Casshern sins. go blow up your brain.

Anyway, I think one of the reasons people liked it that I didn't read you list was the art style. The witch world they would go into or whatever was pretty unique and cool. The show looked pretty good in general.

I agree that it wasn't really anything special. I wasn't really that blown away. Mami dying was a shock but I didn't really care about her all too much. Obviously there was that cool little twist with that time girl at the end.

Nothing new, but it wasn't a horrible show either.
xxJing 
20199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Alderaan
Offline
Posted 4/17/14
One thing about this series though I suppose that personally did not move me was that I could not empathize with any of the girls. They essentially brought their troubles upon themselves. They essentially screwed up which ends up with Homura having to time travel countless times trying to fix their shit, and eventually she's unable to and Madoka becomes basically a band-aid for the problem. Scratch that, I empathize with Homura, the rest deserved what they got.
42662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / KS, USA
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
But PMMM is such a light hearted romantic series. How could you possibly not like it?
Le_Dom 
6582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Quebec, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
To reply to the OP, the reason why Madoka worked was because it was a very effective deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. Now, unlike what people who (somehow) loved school days or merely defend it seem to believe: A deconstruction isn't just to take a premise and making it more dark and violent. Rather, it's to take an established trope and pulling a more realistic twist on it; what were to happen if it happened in real life. I could say why the argument that School Days is a deconstruction of the harem genre bullocks, but that would be getting too off topic.

On the topic of Madoka, however, the deconstructive aspect comes from the idea that to gain something, another must be given in return (so if I make a wish, not only is it granted, but I also get magical powers? Sounds like an awesome deal). Then comes Mami's death, which was meant to show the dangers that would logically come with being a magical girl. Other factors would play in, like how the artstyle provided a nice contrast, the OST was fantastically composed or that many thought the writing was legitimately great.

But the main point is, when one watches a deconstruction of a genre that he/she is unfamiliar with, the effect might be lost

10138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/14 , edited 4/18/14

Le_Dom wrote:

To reply to the OP, the reason why Madoka worked was because it was a very effective deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. Now, unlike what people who (somehow) loved school days or merely defend it seem to believe: A deconstruction isn't just to take a premise and making it more dark and violent. Rather, it's to take an established trope and pulling a more realistic twist on it; what were to happen if it happened in real life. I could say why the argument that School Days is a deconstruction of the harem genre bullocks, but that would be getting too off topic.

On the topic of Madoka, however, the deconstructive aspect comes from the idea that to gain something, another must be given in return (so if I make a wish, not only is it granted, but I also get magical powers? Sounds like an awesome deal). Then comes Mami's death, which was meant to show the dangers that would logically come with being a magical girl. Other factors would play in, like how the artstyle provided a nice contrast, the OST was fantastically composed or that many thought the writing was legitimately great.

But the main point is, when one watches a deconstruction of a genre that he/she is unfamiliar with, the effect might be lost



Interesting. You see, when I watched it I didn't feel like it was what would happen were it to occur in real life at all. Maybe the fact I'm a guy and the main character's were girls makes it hard to see it through their eyes for a start, but I felt it was too fantasy-orientated to ever look at through the eyes of being remotely real life. Not only that, but I didn't really find the character's relatable, and the fact that some of them made a wish even when they knew what crap they were in for early on in the series with Mami's death meant they were practically asking for it. As for her death, yes it showed that dangers would come with being a magical girl, but I always assume,no matter what I'm watching, that the second you take up something that will involve fighting, there will be danger there, so maybe that's why it had way less of an impact on me. I get that also receiving magical powers 'sounds like an awesome deal', but they learn so very early on that that isn't the case, and again I tie that into how I think if they wanted to give that more impact the show should've been longer. Though I will agree that the OST and art style was particularly good.
137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


Le_Dom wrote:

To reply to the OP, the reason why Madoka worked was because it was a very effective deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. Now, unlike what people who (somehow) loved school days or merely defend it seem to believe: A deconstruction isn't just to take a premise and making it more dark and violent. Rather, it's to take an established trope and pulling a more realistic twist on it; what were to happen if it happened in real life. I could say why the argument that School Days is a deconstruction of the harem genre bullocks, but that would be getting too off topic.

On the topic of Madoka, however, the deconstructive aspect comes from the idea that to gain something, another must be given in return (so if I make a wish, not only is it granted, but I also get magical powers? Sounds like an awesome deal). Then comes Mami's death, which was meant to show the dangers that would logically come with being a magical girl. Other factors would play in, like how the artstyle provided a nice contrast, the OST was fantastically composed or that many thought the writing was legitimately great.

But the main point is, when one watches a deconstruction of a genre that he/she is unfamiliar with, the effect might be lost



Interesting. You see, when I watched it I didn't feel like it was what would happen were it to occur in real life at all. Maybe the fact I'm a guy and the main character's were girls makes it hard to see it through their eyes for a start, but I felt it was too fantasy-orientated to ever look at through the eyes of being remotely real life. Not only that, but I didn't really find the character's relatable, and the fact that some of them made a wish even when they knew what crap they were in for early on in the series with Mami's death meant they were practically asking for it. As for her death, yes it showed that dangers would come with being a magical girl, but I always assume,no matter what I'm watching, that the second you take up something that will involve fighting, there will be danger there, so maybe that's why it had way less of an impact on me. I get that also receiving magical powers 'sounds like an awesome deal', but they learn so very early on that that isn't the case, and again I tie that into how I think if they wanted to give that more impact the show should've been longer. Though I will agree that the OST and art style was particularly good.


I'm not sure if making the show longer would have increased the shows overall impact...

I agree that it would have made Mami's death a bigger deal but at the same time the rest of the series pacing would have to be slower. While this would allow for character development it would also likely involve filler episodes where it does not feel like anything was accomplished.
10138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / England
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

Backflip_2003 wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


Le_Dom wrote:

To reply to the OP, the reason why Madoka worked was because it was a very effective deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre. Now, unlike what people who (somehow) loved school days or merely defend it seem to believe: A deconstruction isn't just to take a premise and making it more dark and violent. Rather, it's to take an established trope and pulling a more realistic twist on it; what were to happen if it happened in real life. I could say why the argument that School Days is a deconstruction of the harem genre bullocks, but that would be getting too off topic.

On the topic of Madoka, however, the deconstructive aspect comes from the idea that to gain something, another must be given in return (so if I make a wish, not only is it granted, but I also get magical powers? Sounds like an awesome deal). Then comes Mami's death, which was meant to show the dangers that would logically come with being a magical girl. Other factors would play in, like how the artstyle provided a nice contrast, the OST was fantastically composed or that many thought the writing was legitimately great.

But the main point is, when one watches a deconstruction of a genre that he/she is unfamiliar with, the effect might be lost



Interesting. You see, when I watched it I didn't feel like it was what would happen were it to occur in real life at all. Maybe the fact I'm a guy and the main character's were girls makes it hard to see it through their eyes for a start, but I felt it was too fantasy-orientated to ever look at through the eyes of being remotely real life. Not only that, but I didn't really find the character's relatable, and the fact that some of them made a wish even when they knew what crap they were in for early on in the series with Mami's death meant they were practically asking for it. As for her death, yes it showed that dangers would come with being a magical girl, but I always assume,no matter what I'm watching, that the second you take up something that will involve fighting, there will be danger there, so maybe that's why it had way less of an impact on me. I get that also receiving magical powers 'sounds like an awesome deal', but they learn so very early on that that isn't the case, and again I tie that into how I think if they wanted to give that more impact the show should've been longer. Though I will agree that the OST and art style was particularly good.


I'm not sure if making the show longer would have increased the shows overall impact...

I agree that it would have made Mami's death a bigger deal but at the same time the rest of the series pacing would have to be slower. While this would allow for character development it would also likely involve filler episodes where it does not feel like anything was accomplished.


Indeed, that could be true. In that sense I guess it was going to be hit and miss with me in one way or another.
10561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

While watching it I couldn't help but feel a lot of what I was seeing had been done before. Time travel, the death of a main character, essentially selling your soul, making a wish, characters suffering break downs. There wasn't much else different that made me think 'Holy Shit, that makes this anime of the year!' at all.

I feel if they wanted to pull that card they should have done a 24 episode show spanning 2 seasons as opposed to one.


1. Madoka does those things better than most. It's not that the show is dark that makes it unique, although that is a factor, it's that unlike most dark shows like Elfen Lied that try and fail to disturb, Madoka does disturb the viewer. Clannad has romance in it, something MANY anime have, but it arguably does it the best above all others.

2. The reason the show is so good is because of it's length. Madoka does in 12 episodes, what other shows do in 24. In just twelve episodes it's able to properly develop all the characters (giving us backstory, motivations, and change in their personalities), add multiple awesome and clever twists, and give us a satisfying ending. I feel that 24 episodes would be too long and would drag out the story unnecessarily. Unlike Angel Beats! where it needed 20+ episodes to develop everything, Madoka is able to accomplish everything it needed to in only 12 episodes.
10561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 4/18/14 , edited 4/18/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

While watching it I couldn't help but feel a lot of what I was seeing had been done before. Time travel, the death of a main character, essentially selling your soul, making a wish, characters suffering break downs. There wasn't much else different that made me think 'Holy Shit, that makes this anime of the year!' at all/

I feel if they wanted to pull that card they should have done a 24 episode show spanning 2 seasons as opposed to one.


1. Madoka does those things better than most. It's not that the show is dark that makes it unique, although that is a factor, it's that unlike most dark shows like Elfen Lied that try and fail to disturb, Madoka does disturb the viewer. Clannad has romance in it, something MANY anime have, but it arguably does it the best above all others. It's the same for Madoka.

2. The reason the show is so good is because of it's length. Madoka does in 12 episodes, what other shows do in 24. In just twelve episodes it's able to properly develop all the characters (giving us backstory, motivations, and change in their personalities), add multiple awesome and clever twists, and give us a satisfying ending. I feel that 24 episodes would be too long and would drag out the story unnecessarily. Unlike Angel Beats! where it needed 20+ episodes to develop everything, Madoka is able to accomplish everything it needed to in only 12 episodes.

11199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
I think the reason I liked it so much was because of the various plot twists and because of how well it deconstructed the genre. The characters were also great, and the witches worlds were really interestingly done.
34079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / 'murica
Offline
Posted 4/18/14 , edited 4/18/14
I came in here thinking 'dis gun b gud, sum narutard bein a faget', but OP makes a good point.

The show's just really solid in all areas. Animation, storytelling, camerawork, etc. In these times of crap anime after crap anime, it just stands out. And it's short. You can't beat that. Super easy to get someone into a show if it's short.

edit-grammar
Also Insomnist hit the nail on the head over on page 2.
16419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

xxJing wrote:

One thing about this series though I suppose that personally did not move me was that I could not empathize with any of the girls. They essentially brought their troubles upon themselves. They essentially screwed up which ends up with Homura having to time travel countless times trying to fix their shit, and eventually she's unable to and Madoka becomes basically a band-aid for the problem. Scratch that, I empathize with Homura, the rest deserved what they got.


Ive had this thread open for a looong while now but just haven't been in the proper mood to answer. This post sums up Madokas primary weakness. Characters all serve their roles and functions in Madoka Magica, but little more.

On one hand, the world and themes along with the visual style is nothing shy of brilliant. They're in an awesome world filled with dark bullshit, complete with larger than life magical girls fighting absurdly powerful and visually striking villianesses of vagueness.

Storywise the show tells it good. Setting up parrallels and plots and stuff.

But the characters are just that. Characters. No extra life or fluff behind them. Mimimimi plays Qui gon jin to Madoka's Obi wan and they keep to those roles.

While one would say SAO and AoT are visually impressive, Madoka is more of a stimulating experience.

The vibrant world of mysteries and magical girls along with the Wish granting and villians simply makes it interesting on a unique level.

Madoka Magica sets up something great and interesting without taking it too far. The story ends with Madoka...but not the world it set up.

I don't consider it a dark or light world, but it is a heavy one. Things happen, and not good things. Some characters die and others succeed, its just how it goes here. It makes the deaths seem fair yet cruel.

Like how people consider Dark Souls games hard and easy. They set rules and don't give comprimises. Mistakes happen even when they could be avoided. Just takes a few tries to get it right, and lets hope you do it right before you turn hollow.
1519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
It wasn't a terrific show. Maybe it was because I was spoilered way before I started, but I actually got bored through the middle of Madoka Magica. It was Sayaka weeping and Madoka weeping, and here's Kyouko! She doesn't explain anything. I officially do not care about any of these middle school girls. But I did enjoy it, and by the 10th or 11th episode, I really liked it but...it wasn't the best show ever.

I don't really have a problem with that though. I took it as Madoka Magica having a wide appeal because of that shock factor. I know people like it, but no one's been singing praises about it, or claiming that it's the best thing ever. No one has said it was flawless.
I don't like Frozen, because it was okay at best, but people won't stop talking about how /good/ it is, but as far as I've seen, that doesn't happen with Madoka. People will say how much they love it, and I will still see a magical girl at every excuse they have to put the costume on, but they don't talk about how revolutionary or perfectly done it was, or how it's now Shaft's poster child anime. They don't praise it past what it is.
7656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
Its been too long since I've seen it but I remember thinking that it was pretty good...thats about it. Nothing great or ground breaking but enjoyable.
4494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / qt 3.14
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
It's good. I'd go so far as to say it's really good.

But yeah, it's somewhat overrated.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.