First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Unlicensed gems?
11679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
First off, thanks to anyone who participated in the other thread I made concerning combo packs. So why is it that an anime like Hyouka, which seems to sell quite well in Japan, doesn't get picked up by an American US licensor? And Dennou Coil, which gets an Australian release, yet none for US? And what about Haruhi? Sure Bandai picked it up but they closed down their anime/manga distribution a long time ago, yet Sentai was able to pick up their other titles too? There's also Symphogear which Funimation picked up, but sadly nothing's been done with that so far other than streamed the first season AFAIK.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 4/18/14
Not... sure what the question is? Is there even one here?

Are we suppose to be asking what unlicensed shows we know of? Are we just generally complaining here? I can't quite tell.
11679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

Stonewolfe wrote:

Not... sure what the question is? Is there even one here?

Are we suppose to be asking what unlicensed shows we know of? Are we just generally complaining here? I can't quite tell.


Sorry if I worded out the question wrong (I got a lil impatient went my tablet went retard on me). Basically, why does anyone have an idea why circumstances end up like these? Why does Dennou Coil get released in Australia yet not for US too? Why hasn't anyone picked up Hyouka despite how well-received it is in terms of sales in Japan AFAIC? And Funimation not doing much with Symphogear?... Though the last one likely has to do with the license they acquired. These are pretty much just inquiries I've had, but not meant for complaint.
104115 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 4/18/14
Money.

Many questions that life throws at you can be answered by money.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 4/18/14 , edited 4/18/14

Student_Zero wrote:


Sorry if I worded out the question wrong (I got a lil impatient went my tablet went retard on me). Basically, why does anyone have an idea why circumstances end up like these? Why does Dennou Coil get released in Australia yet not for US too? Why hasn't anyone picked up Hyouka despite how well-received it is in terms of sales in Japan AFAIC? And Funimation not doing much with Symphogear?... Though the last one likely has to do with the license they acquired. These are pretty much just inquiries I've had, but not meant for complaint.



Well I don't know the particulars, mainly since I have no connection what so ever to the business... so anything I say is a guess or my own intuition.

Mostly it comes down to licensing and what the companies in Japan want to do with them. No matter how much we want it here in the states, if the the Japanese company doesn't want to sell anything out of Japan, it won't see us (short of Fansubs but we don't need to go there). After that, it's whether the companies here (or any where else really) want to buy said anime, if it comes out of Japan.

Popularity rarely has anything to do with grabbing simulcasts I think, since other than basing it off Manga sales, a simulcast is new, won't know if it does well or not until after it is done. So popularity is only going to base it for getting a catalog title. This of course goes back to what the company in Japan wants to do. If they don't want to do anything with it, it won't move.

So for FUNi title there... well this could be a few things I think... License from Japan only allows them to do a certain amount with it. Their plate could be full of other stuff to do (despite what we think/want they do have only a certain amount of staff that can do things after all), it could of sold bad for them and they decided to drop it there. Who really knows other than the execs behind FUNi.

TL;DR -


AnimeKami wrote:

Money.

Many questions that life throws at you can be answered by money.


11679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/14

Stonewolfe wrote:



Well I don't know the particulars, mainly since I have no connection what so ever to the business... so anything I say is a guess or my own intuition.

Mostly it comes down to licensing and what the companies in Japan want to do with them. No matter how much we want it here in the states, if the the Japanese company doesn't want to sell anything out of Japan, it won't see us (short of Fansubs but we don't need to go there). After that, it's whether the companies here (or any where else really) want to buy said anime, if it comes out of Japan.

Popularity rarely has anything to do with grabbing simulcasts I think, since other than basing it off Manga sales, a simulcast is new, won't know if it does well or not until after it is done. So popularity is only going to base it for getting a catalog title. This of course goes back to what the company in Japan wants to do. If they don't want to do anything with it, it won't move.

So for FUNi title there... well this could be a few things I think... License from Japan only allows them to do a certain amount with it. Their plate could be full of other stuff to do (despite what we think/want they do have only a certain amount of staff that can do things after all), it could of sold bad for them and they decided to drop it there. Who really knows other than the execs behind FUNi.

TL;DR -


AnimeKami wrote:

Money.

Many questions that life throws at you can be answered by money.



That makes sense. Sucks, but oh well. Thanks.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/19/14

Student_Zero wrote:

Why does Dennou Coil get released in Australia yet not for US too? Why hasn't anyone picked up Hyouka despite how well-received it is in terms of sales in Japan AFAIC? And Funimation not doing much with Symphogear?...

My understanding is that Dennou Coil was difficult to license, and it is somewhat of a mystery/miracle how Siren pulled it off. The situation could be similar to the apparent situation concerning Funimation being unable to license the second half of the D.Gray-man series.


Symphogear was originally a NicoNico.com license that Funimation inherited via their Funico joint venture with Nico Nico.

Elite members of the Funimation will note that the series has some unique attributes in that is only available via the website (not the Roku or mobile apps), and still has commercials.

There was also the point that even though Funimation didn't license the second series (little surprise, since up until Puchimas 2, no series simulcast that had no home video release saw its sequel simulcast), but neither did CR. Speculation is that the music licensing was possibly the issue.

Given that similar speculation applied to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but CR finally managed to pull it off, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the third time around will be the charm for Symphogear and CR will at least be able to snag what Funimation doesn't have.


Honestly, there can be small but quite durable road blocks to the licensing of some titles. I a mention in an article at ANN earlier this year about a certain title that couldn't be licensed, due to a falling out between the two persons that controlled the rights, and neither wanted to see the other profit from it.

71056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 4/19/14
No idea. Hyouka is a big one, but I'd also add Black★Rock Shooter. The UK has it. I'm very jealous.
24760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/19/14
The same arguments can be made about video games and why tons of games from Japan never get licensed overseas (and vice-versa).
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/19/14 , edited 4/19/14
Edit: YozaQuar is another unlicensed gem.


TheAncientOne wrote:
...
Symphogear was originally a NicoNico.com license that Funimation inherited via their Funico joint venture with Nico Nico.

Elite members of the Funimation will note that the series has some unique attributes in that is only available via the website (not the Roku or mobile apps), and still has commercials.

There was also the point that even though Funimation didn't license the second series (little surprise, since up until Puchimas 2, no series simulcast that had no home video release saw its sequel simulcast), but neither did CR. Speculation is that the music licensing was possibly the issue.

Given that similar speculation applied to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but CR finally managed to pull it off, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the third time around will be the charm for Symphogear and CR will at least be able to snag what Funimation doesn't have.

Honestly, there can be small but quite durable road blocks to the licensing of some titles. I a mention in an article at ANN earlier this year about a certain title that couldn't be licensed, due to a falling out between the two persons that controlled the rights, and neither wanted to see the other profit from it.
Yeah, Symphogear season 1 is odd on Funimation as it doesn't have an Elite feed at all so it is SD, ads all the time. Must be due to the Nico Nico deal. Too bad as it truly is an unlicensed gem. Would love for Crunchyroll to get all 3 seasons this summer.

Really? Personality clashes that hard? Not good....

RX-0Unicorn wrote:

The same arguments can be made about video games and why tons of games from Japan never get licensed overseas (and vice-versa).
Video games are very different. They are not broadcast so there is no broadcaster rights involved. Most game companies don't actually want their Japanese games sold overseas so it isn't even like they'd consider a western release to be a cause for lost sales. The prices for games are the same so it isn't like they'd be worried about reverse importation of super cheap Sentai and Funimation Blurays either.

For games I think it comes down to expense for the most part. Localization of software is expensive and test intensive. It is much more expensive to do quality control on a game with branching plots than a show which is linear. Unless you are sure you will sell enough copies to pay for localization it isn't worth it. You would need to sell thousands of copies just to break even which is why can be a no brainer for a big hit which is expected to sell hundreds of thousands of copies.

But games can also get tangled up into the rest of the rights around a franchise. If Funimation or Sentai has the rights to a show, they may also have the rights to all merchandise and that can include games. So non-anime related games may find it easier.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/19/14

Insomnist wrote:

No idea. Hyouka is a big one, but I'd also add Black★Rock Shooter. The UK has it. I'm very jealous.

The US had Black★Rock Shooter for a brief time. NicoNico.jp simulcast it worldwide, and NicoNico.com finally got it near the end of the run. As I recall, it wasn't long after it finished there that they rolled up their anime operation. (Checking my MAL list, I see I finished it on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, so apparently they had it until at least then).

32462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Online
Posted 4/19/14
Yeah, as others have said, there could be any number of reasons why some shows never make it to the USA. The studio could want to much money. Someone involved at a high level might not want it distributed in the USA. There could be legal issues which prevent US distribution (thank you so much Harmony Gold, you low down dirty @#&^%#).

But, never give up hope. Ben-To, a hilarious spoof of fighting anime, got distribution through Funimation years after it was released in Japan.
9681 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Online
Posted 4/23/14
Gosick: Bandai had it in their grasp but internal problems caused it to lose it. I hope someone picks it up. About the two-fifths finished with the series.

Bartender: Mature anime for a mature audience. Any liquor lovers will like this series about a 'bartender' who conjures up drinks for customers out of their tales.
Posted 4/23/14
there really not that great to start with and it's really all about monet, what is new?
15230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/23/14
Hyouka is indeed a really good example of this. One that also bugs me a lot is Higurashi. I'm pretty sure there is no legal way to get this in region 1, though you can get it in Australia. I want my Higurashi dvd collection!
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.