First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Is God real?
16093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:


michaeldeska wrote:



read this
http://www.bethinking.org/does-science-disprove-god/has-science-disproved-religion


you need to stop reading sites with hidden agenda and propaganda such as that one.


Firstly, I don't know any scientists who claim, "All dogs have four legs"... we all know there are genetic mutations that can cause dogs to be born with 3 or even 5 legs. Just like not all humans are born with 23 pairs of chromosome.

Secondly, the only absolute in science is known as a "law", which is mostly found in physics and mathematics, not in Biological science.
Such as Newton's Law of motion, which can be applied anywhere in the universe.


And even then, scientists have admitted/speculated that the law of physics might not apply to objects like a Black Hole.


your not seeing the point in any of what you just read, read it again.
52465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Riding sound waves
Offline
Posted 4/20/14
When I die, if I meet a supreme being of any kind, I will have about a billion questions to ask. Until then, I don't know.
33214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Bed
Offline
Posted 4/20/14
Don't know, but I doubt it. I do know that I'm not going to waste my life, time, and money devoting myself to someone who may not even exist when I can be devoting that to the people that really matter: friends, and family.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/21/14
Will this debate ever end or not? God, I don't know!
23208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 4/21/14
I don't think that's a question I or anyone else can answer at this point in time. Although I do think that all the gods people worship aren't real, there's hundreds of them and they're each like the cultures that thought them up. So I don't believe in God/a god but I do think it's possible that there is one, however I if there is I'm certain it's not any of the gods that people have worshipped.
8233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/21/14
I take a look at the state of the world and I could never bring myself to believe in a god. Now if a god did exist, I would probably have nothing but hate for him.
9415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 4/22/14
I believe in God. Many people say that it's His fault this world is all messed up but in reality it's because of the disicions humans make. He gave us free will, so he can't force people to do the right thing. There are a lot of things that can corrupt us in this world but it's up to us if we let it affect us. Sorry if you don't agree. These are my beliefs. :3
11497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

Pandapple7 wrote:

I believe in God. Many people say that it's His fault this world is all messed up


Who? Why would people who believe in god simultaneously claim god is responsible for the worlds ills? "Hey, I believe in you, but I really dislike you"? Is this a common view among those who believe in god? Really?


but in reality it's because of the disicions humans make.


True, but also a lot of things operate beyond human decisions. Earthquakes, drought, fire, storms, diseases, etc. You can't really blame those on human decisions. I blame them on natural phenomenon... things like plate tectonics. I believe these natural phenomenon comply with the laws of physics. That is what I believe. I do not believe in a god, but if I did, I suppose I would have to believe *god* the creator is responsible for why Earth has so many earthquakes, because god wanted its crust to be broken up in plates, compared to a planet like Mars.

... I do not believe humans are responsible for plate tectonics. I do not believe humans were around when plate tectonics on the earth formed.

But what do you believe?

Is all the 'bad' in the world thanks to human decisions? Or is some god responsible? Or is it neither, just natural phenomenon?

I think your apparent issue is that because you cannot attribute bad things to god, you must attribute them to humans. But humans *cannot* be responsible for things like earthquakes unless you believe that which is demonstrably false.

I am not sure you have ever thought very much about your belief, but I suppose I could be wrong. I do not believe a god is responsible for earthquakes, because I do not believe a god created the earth. Nor do I believe humans could *possibly* be responsible for earthquakes because they are formed via rather simple mechanisms underground having nothing to do with humans.

So I suppose I should say, you have told me what you believe, but I still do not actually *know* what you believe. You have not communicated anything other than "I believe".
10649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Universe, Mil...
Offline
Posted 4/23/14
I don't believe God exists. But who am I to say he does or doesn't exist? I have no real proof he doesn't exist, just like no one has any real proof that he DOES exist. If God does not exist, I'll be happy that I was right and that I lived my life to the fullest without religion dragging me down into a pool of fear and regret. If God does exist, he'll be just about ready to send me to hell when I'll start singing "FIGHT THE POWER!" at the top of my lungs as I drop down into the depths of Satan's realm, with middle fingers raised in defiance, waiting to be eternally BBQ'd.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

Pandapple7 wrote:

I believe in God. Many people say that it's His fault this world is all messed up but in reality it's because of the disicions humans make. He gave us free will, so he can't force people to do the right thing. There are a lot of things that can corrupt us in this world but it's up to us if we let it affect us. Sorry if you don't agree. These are my beliefs. :3


But God could've prevented that from happening. So it IS his fault.
Assuming that he actually exists, of course...
9415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14

SilvaZoldyck wrote:
Who? Why would people who believe in god simultaneously claim god is responsible for the worlds ills? "Hey, I believe in you, but I really dislike you"? Is this a common view among those who believe in god? Really?

Sorry. I should've worded it differently. I didn't mean christians beleive that it's God's fault the world is all messed up.I meant that some people who don't believe in God assume it's his fault because some might say, " If he's God & can do anything he wants, why can't he stop people from dying in such cruel ways or stop world hunger, etc ? " Sometimes it's b/c people make the wrong decisions. Ex: What if that person who died in a cruel way sold drugs in the past? People are straving to death? Maybe it's b/c of the many self-centered greedy people in the world.

SilvaZoldyck wrote:
But what do you believe? Is all the 'bad' in the world thanks to human decisions? Or is some god responsible? Or is it neither, just natural phenomenon?

No. I don't believe it's human's fault that earthquakes, tsunamis, etc happens. lol That's natural phenomena. But there was a story in the bible where God destroyed a city b/c the people there were so corrupted by sin. (City of Sodom and Gomorrah). So all the "bad " in the world can be a combination of all those things.

Syndicaidramon wrote:
But God could've prevented that from happening. So it IS his fault.

What is that ? Choosing between right & wrong ?



3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

Pandapple7
What is that ? Choosing between right & wrong ?


No. Evil. Bad things. God could've prevented bad decisionmaking and evil from existing.
But he didn't. Therefore, at the end of the day, it's all his fault. EVERYTHING is God's fault.
16093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

Syndicaidramon wrote:


Pandapple7
What is that ? Choosing between right & wrong ?


No. Evil. Bad things. God could've prevented bad decisionmaking and evil from existing.
But he didn't. Therefore, at the end of the day, it's all his fault. EVERYTHING is God's fault.


what would you be if you could not think and make your own decisions?you would not be considered a life form but more of a robot. god gave you free will, the ability to think on your own and solve problems he gave you life. god has already given use a chance against evil, he has given use a way to be cleansed of sin. yet because god gave use free will then their will be people who choose not to believe in him, there will be people who will do evil things on their own free will because it makes them feel good or they believe they are the only one who is right about what he is doing, justifying his actions into being something weak and pathetic and turning it into a fantasy of his. so i ask again, if god created us without free will what would we be?
4391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United Nations, W...
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14

Therefore, at the end of the day, it's all his fault. EVERYTHING is God's fault.


*Ahem*. Pardon for the intrusion on this heated discussion, but do you believe in God but blame everyone on him? You can't blame something you don't believe exists.

In answer to your question/rant, (my two cents anyway) according to the Bible (yeah, yeah go ahead and bash it I've heard it all before) the world WAS perfect. But, because he wanted praise/admiration for making such a great world, he created people. Being told, "You're awesome", by a bunch of robots isn't satisfying. So, he gave us free will. What did the first humans do with that free will? They f***** up. If some bad existed in a perfect world, the world could no longer be perfect. Thus Tsunamis/Disease/Poisons and shit.

This is all I'm going to add because I don't like discussions on religion, strongly grounded ideals such as those almost are never discussed peacefully.
11497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/24/14

Pandapple7 wrote:


SilvaZoldyck wrote:
Who? Why would people who believe in god simultaneously claim god is responsible for the worlds ills? "Hey, I believe in you, but I really dislike you"? Is this a common view among those who believe in god? Really?

Sorry. I should've worded it differently. I didn't mean christians beleive that it's God's fault the world is all messed up.I meant that some people who don't believe in God assume it's his fault


Again, people who don't believe in god do *not* assume it is god's fault, rather, they assume that some things are just the results of natural processes. Since they don't consider natural processes to be created by a god, since they do not believe in a god, they *cannot* assume it is god's fault.


because some might say, " If he's God & can do anything he wants, why can't he stop people from dying in such cruel ways or stop world hunger, etc ? " Sometimes it's b/c people make the wrong decisions.


I think a better question is "why did god create a planet for humans to live on that allows earthquakes?" Plate tectonics *didn't* need to exist, instead of a few big volcanoes (like on Mars) we get tons and tons of small ones and earthquakes that cause massive damage and loss of life.

Notice this line of questioning is intended to look at how you build your understanding of the world from a fundamental level. How do you think things actually work? If 'god' created the natural world, then isn't it the inevitable conclusion that god created plate tectonics? Is god then responsible for earthquakes, since he created a planet designed to have many?

When you say things are 'natural phenomenon' and that god is responsible for creating the universe, you appear to be stating that god is responsible for natural phenomenon... like earthquakes.

The alternative might be something like, "god doesn't exist, thus nothing is responsible for earthquakes beyond the natural state of the universe."
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.