First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Do you like preaching in Anime
2528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / America
Offline
Posted 4/20/14
In some anime like Machine-Doll Kizutsukanai, the anime try to delve into the conflict such as murder in about every arc/story. I dropped this anime at about episode 6. From what I watched, this protagonist is always preaching about his ideas onto others with yelling. This seems to be the case with other anime of today. The type of anime I have concern is the quickness of delving into drama. The protagonist is going about his business until he finds something he doesn't like, fights them, pressing his ideas onto others. The conflict ultimately ending in 1-4 episodes and 3 days or even less than 24 hours within the story.

A huge problem I have with some anime is the "straw-man" argument, which is setting up an argument and using just proving that is wrong.

Characters in anime do bring about other perspectives. If they are any opinions that the protagonist dislike, Then he/she screams why the other person is wrong and he/she is right.

Does the amount of preaching affect how you like anime series


16931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/14 , edited 4/20/14
Considering most of the time protags shove their ideas into other people's brain is when they are trying to stop a bad guy from doing bad things. I don't see any problems with it.

I mean if I have a power to stop some crazy criminal with a crazy mind/idealogy, you can bet that I will definitely try to stop it, and maybe try to reform them. Laws are basically government's way of shoving their idealogy onto us.
Posted 4/20/14
This topic just reminded me of all the Lelouch x Kururugi shouting of ages past.

I don't mind it if it is consistent. There are plenty of shows about the power of friendship. If there is some dark mage that is sacrificing his followers to cast a cone of death - I wouldn't mind the main character yelling about it is wrong to use your friends in such ways. I couldn't think of a specific example, or rather didn't want to spoil anything, but I think my point should get across. Those stories I am referencing are thematically about friendship and though people can argue yelling about the importance of treating comrades nice is overdoing it - I don't really mind. I'd love if main characters only showed subtle hints of what they feel, but because "those shows" I'm referencing are mostly targeted at young people I don't mind them going "this is the point!" Better than leading it up to a kid's imagination to determine if sacrificing your allies is right or not.
xxJing 
37209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 4/20/14 , edited 4/20/14
I honestly don't like preaching.

Seriously, instead of saying :

"That is the worst idea."

You should say:

"Do you really think that is the best idea?"


That is preaching in a sense I suppose, but the only thing I really preach is independence. Thinking for yourself. Never telling a person what to do directly, but showing them why one choice may be better than another. I really like animes that do that. Animes where instead of "I am right. You are wrong." the theme is , "If you are right, then I am happy being wrong."

Don't Preach, Persuade.

There is one exception. I actually really like the preaching this guy does, it is just hilarious.


Remember children, love thy neighbor. Unless they are a heathen or monster.
1585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/14 , edited 4/20/14
That's why I stopped watching Shonens. I used to think they sounded pretty cool when they gave their speech while beating up a bad guy. Now they just sound arrogant, idealistic, and childish to me.

I also hate polar opposite characters who are always whining and questioning themselves, hesitating to do anything.

I guess I've fallen somewhere in the middle of the road for characters who do what they need to do without always having to rationalize or explain what they're doing. They do what they feel is right but accept that it might not always be right in the eyes of others. It's pretty rare to find characters like that but they do exist.
xxJing 
37209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 4/20/14 , edited 4/20/14

essex1 wrote:

That's why I stopped watching Shonens. I used to think they sounded pretty cool when they gave their speech while beating up a bad guy. Now they just sound arrogant, idealistic, and childish to me.

I also hate polar opposite characters who are always whining and questioning themselves, hesitating to do anything.

I guess I've fallen somewhere in the middle of the road for characters who do what they need to do without always having to rationalize or explain what they're doing. They do what they feel is right but accept that it might not always be right in the eyes of others. It's pretty rare to find characters like that but they do exist.


Hunter x Hunter and One Piece aren't all that preachy. In Hunter x Hunter the characters are mercenaries more or less, in One Piece they are pirates (anarchists). They follow that mindset through to the end. They do what they want, because they want to do it. Oda even had Luffy say explicitly many times "I am not a hero. Heroes are required to share."

Actually I think the preachiest those two shows get is, "You hurt my friends and I will hurt you." that is about it.

Although if you were to only watch one Shonen in your entire life. Watch Hunter x Hunter 2011 here on CR. Hands down, best shonen ever.
Posted 4/20/14
I find it hilarious.
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/20/14
more of the non preaching type.
24760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/20/14

confuser987 wrote:

Does the amount of preaching affect how you like anime series


Not really; I actually like it because it gives a character conviction. It's at that point that I honestly want characters who DO preach to fight and be willing to DIE for what they believe in.

As a mecha fan, the Gundam metaseries has some GREAT preacher characters who tend to give fairly moving (if not convincing) monologues as to why they are the way they are, and MOST are actually believable:

Examples:

Zeon Deikun (man who created Zeon and father of Cazval/fake Char and Sayla/Artesia)

Ghiren Zabi (famous for his "ZIEG ZEON!" speech after his brother Garma was killed; his father even compared him to Adolf Hitler after he gave his speech and Ghiren was honored at his "compliment").

Haman Khan/Kharn (mainly in ZZ Gundam)

Paptimus Scirocco (he sees the people of Earth as pitiful because they are weighed down by gravity and refuse to evolve into Newtypes)

Quattro Bajeena/Char Aznable (Zeta Gundam and Char's Counter-Attack he gives moving speeches about how it's humanities destiny to move into space, but also that humanity has desecrated its home (Earth) and MUST be forced into space in order to evolve to into Newtypes)

Rau Le Cruset (he hates humans (and coordinators) because of their warlike nature and love of conflict, so he wants everything and everyone destroyed by the flames of hate and hypocrisy)

Shin Asuka (No one apparently understands the pain of losing your entire family like Shin does, and he'll tell you over, and over, and over....)

Kira Yamato, Athrun Zala, Cagalli Athra, and Lacus Clyne (preaching about loyalty, friendship, war, and sacrifice)

Gyn Ghingnham (he's a warrior and fighting is all that matters)

Loran Cehack (he just wants the people of Earth and the Moonrace to get along peacefully without hatred and violence)

I'll stop for now, cuz' Gundam has dozens of preachy characters who actually DO fight it out and get shut up permanently.
The Wise Wizard
100963 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/20/14

confuser987 wrote:

Does the amount of preaching affect how you like anime series

I've only dropped two anime, and one of them (Arjuna) was because it simply seemed too preachy to me.

71058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/20/14 , edited 4/20/14
Stories are often vehicles for ideas; as long as the conflicts explore the pitfalls of those ideas, instead of just being propaganda where the writer creates a world where all his/her ideas are magically perfect, I'm usually fine with it.

I really do like shows that present you with situations but don't tell you the answers, though. Like Kino's Journey.
24760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/20/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


confuser987 wrote:

Does the amount of preaching affect how you like anime series

I've only dropped two anime, and one of them (Arjuna) was because it simply seemed too preachy to me.



I swear I thought I was the only one! I mean, Captain Planet was at least somewhat enjoyable compared to Arjuna...
4201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/14 , edited 4/20/14
I don't like it especially when it happens a lot. Watched Index S1... pretty much got annoyed by it. Didn't bother with S2. Touma = one of my most hated protags.
51985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 4/20/14 , edited 4/20/14
I like the contrast developing between 'preaching' and 'presenting ideas'.

The worst thing with anime preaching is that the ideas are usually utterly trite or kind of questionable.

Edit: IE the "Sometimes you have to fight for your ideals!!!"
1585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 4/20/14

xxJing wrote:


essex1 wrote:

That's why I stopped watching Shonens. I used to think they sounded pretty cool when they gave their speech while beating up a bad guy. Now they just sound arrogant, idealistic, and childish to me.

I also hate polar opposite characters who are always whining and questioning themselves, hesitating to do anything.

I guess I've fallen somewhere in the middle of the road for characters who do what they need to do without always having to rationalize or explain what they're doing. They do what they feel is right but accept that it might not always be right in the eyes of others. It's pretty rare to find characters like that but they do exist.


Hunter x Hunter and One Piece aren't all that preachy. In Hunter x Hunter the characters are mercenaries more or less, in One Piece they are pirates (anarchists). They follow that mindset through to the end. They do what they want, because they want to do it. Oda even had Luffy say explicitly many times "I am not a hero. Heroes are required to share."

Actually I think the preachiest those two shows get is, "You hurt my friends and I will hurt you." that is about it.

Although if you were to only watch one Shonen in your entire life. Watch Hunter x Hunter 2011 here on CR. Hands down, best shonen ever.


I dropped Hunter x Hunter 2011 after episode 1 =/. Maybe I'll get back into it like I did with a few other series this year.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.