First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Does Hunter X Hunter Deserve To Be In The Conversation Of All Time Greatest Anime?
98396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14
^ W00t Gintama - the arrow up fails if I end up on next page like this -_-
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

Lemontitties wrote:

iblessall wrote:
You'd have to be blind not to see the sheer mastery of craft (in the writing, creation and production of this show), and the length of time Hunter x Hunter has been this good is mind-boggling.

That is clearly all subjective and is nothing more than an opinion. Let's not be a fanboy now.

To some degree, you're right, it is subjective.

To some degree, you're wrong. I'm assuming you've watched the episode, and if you have, you know the effect it creates. The reality of the matter is that you don't wind up with a product like this show by accident. The effects the show is able to produce are directly related to the craft behind them.

Judge things by their results. If the episode had fallen flat, it would not be because everyone subjectively didn't like it; it would have been because there was a failure in the construction of the episode.
17270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

Sacae89 wrote:

^ W00t Gintama - the arrow up fails if I end up on next page like this -_-


You did.. xD

-------------------------------------

Oh Well...

Hunter x Hunter is an awesome anime! But i find the Chimera Ant Act a little boring.
40325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14

Lemontitties wrote:


iblessall wrote:



You'd have to be blind not to see the sheer mastery of craft (in the writing, creation and production of this show), and the length of time Hunter x Hunter has been this good is mind-boggling.


That is clearly all subjective and is nothing more than an opinion. Let's not be a fanboy now.


Exactly, that's why i always reject people saying, "This is the greatest of all-time".
No, it's the greatest anime for YOU.
Just like when i see people claiming this for PMMM; it sorta kills me inside little by little. Purely subjective.

36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/23/14
Yeah I think Steins;Gate, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Monogatari are some of the best anime series of all time. But it's subjective because a lot of people don't like dialogue heavy stories with time travel as much as me
25145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 4/23/14
It most definitely may be one of the best . Maybe even better than an anime like DBZ?(writing/story curbstomps DBZ)
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

iblessall wrote:

To some degree, you're right, it is subjective.

To some degree, you're wrong. I'm assuming you've watched the episode, and if you have, you know the effect it creates. The reality of the matter is that you don't wind up with a product like this show by accident. The effects the show is able to produce are directly related to the craft behind them.

Judge things by their results. If the episode had fallen flat, it would not be because everyone subjectively didn't like it; it would have been because there was a failure in the construction of the episode.



iblessall wrote:



You'd have to be blind not to see the sheer mastery of craft (in the writing, creation and production of this show), and the length of time Hunter x Hunter has been this good is mind-boggling.


Everyone's tastes are different. Yes, I have watched the latest episode and thought it was well done. Does that mean other people are blind for not seeing it the same way we do? No, as a matter of fact, that's not how it works. This is clearly all opinionated and nothing more. I'm not wrong. You just seem to think that if people can't see the "mastery craft", then that just automatically makes them blind which just simply isn't true.
98396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

NaruRoxas wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:

^ W00t Gintama - the arrow up fails if I end up on next page like this -_-


You did.. xD

-------------------------------------

Oh Well...

Hunter x Hunter is an awesome anime! But i find the Chimera Ant Act a little boring.


This, btw, is why I say long running anime shouldn't get the title here.

There are too many bundles of boring or lacking arcs.

The greatest anime of all time needs to be good throughout.
52889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14

GoldTStar wrote:

Exactly, that's why i always reject people saying, "This is the greatest of all-time".
No, it's the greatest anime for YOU.
Just like when i see people claiming this for PMMM; it sorta kills me inside little by little. Purely subjective.



This is Basically my reply to the OP. Possibly one of, if not in the top 3, highly executed shounen series I have been able to witness (a High list at that), so of course it deserves a top spot, but remotely calling anything the greatest is one of the most ignorant statements to ever utter and diminishes the existence of subjectivity.

HxH is magnificent, each arc has been compounding upon each other and further to make the series phenomenal, but please do not start attaching that horrible be phrase of "best/greatest/ show ever" (Basically reducing the show to "gave me the biggest anime boner ever") next to it, it only opens doors to bashing its fandom which entirely pisses me off as I am a part of it.
40325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14


Yes, this is basically how i feel as well. It has grown into such an impressive show and has some of the best episode i have seen in my entire life of anime watching. It's execution, it's narration, the tension, the dialogue, it is unmatched to many of the shows i have seen. All of this is purely my opinion and i wouldn't force others to think that way, but for me...oh boy, does this show do wonders. It's already my 3rd favorite show of all-time but if it keeps going like this...

38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14

Lemontitties wrote:
Everyone's tastes are different. Yes, I have watched the latest episode and thought it was well done. Does that mean other people are blind for not seeing it the same way we do? No, as a matter of fact, that's not how it works. This is clearly all opinionated and nothing more. I'm not wrong. You just seem to think that if people can't see the "mastery craft", then that just automatically makes them blind which just simply isn't true.

Oookay, first off, you seem to be pretty fixated on this "blind" thing, so let me clear that up. That was hyperbole, I thought obviously, to make my point.

And for as much as people want to claim total subjectivity over everything, that's just not how it works. There are fundamental techniques that work for human people when they engage with a piece of media; it's why archetypes exist. There will always be subjectivity of degree, i.e. how well something worked for a particular person, but to claim total subjectivity is to claim that the craft of producing media is a totally arbitrary construction. I'm sure this will get some flak, but the slippery slope to that assumption is that the narratives crafted in works like Shakespeare are no better than the narratives crafted in works like Twilight are no better than narratives crafted in pornography.

Is it my subjective opinion that Hunter x Hunter is a superbly crafted, masterfully written, directed, acted and produced piece of art? Yes.

But, to telescope things out, it comes down to if you believe there can be objective truth in the universe. If you do, then you will believe that there is a perfection of the craft of storytelling, the visual medium and anime that (only theoretically) can be achieved. If not, then I think you force yourself into believing that all standards are arbitrary and without meaning. With an objective truth the subjectivity is always in degree, which is just fine by me.

So, I guess I have to backtrack a bit on my initial paragraph. It is not my prerogative to tell people that they have to believe in a universal truth, so if they want to take the path of total subjectivity, it would be wrong of me to tell them otherwise.

However, that's not a path I'm willing to take, because to through all guidelines, rules and standards out the window is, to me, to invalidate the very nature of art. I think art exists to affect the human person, and I don't think that happens in a world which where everything is totally arbitrary.

I could argue a bit more for my belief in an objective truth in this path (btw, if you're thinking, "Oh no, a religious fanatic," I can do this without bringing in any religion at all, so no worries), but I think I'll stop for now.
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14

iblessall wrote:

Oookay, first off, you seem to be pretty fixated on this "blind" thing, so let me clear that up. That was hyperbole, I thought obviously, to make my point.

And for as much as people want to claim total subjectivity over everything, that's just not how it works. There are fundamental techniques that work for human people when they engage with a piece of media; it's why archetypes exist. There will always be subjectivity of degree, i.e. how well something worked for a particular person, but to claim total subjectivity is to claim that the craft of producing media is a totally arbitrary construction. I'm sure this will get some flak, but the slippery slope to that assumption is that the narratives crafted in works like Shakespeare are no better than the narratives crafted in works like Twilight are no better than narratives crafted in pornography.

Is it my subjective opinion that Hunter x Hunter is a superbly crafted, masterfully written, directed, acted and produced piece of art? Yes.

But, to telescope things out, it comes down to if you believe there can be objective truth in the universe. If you do, then you will believe that there is a perfection of the craft of storytelling, the visual medium and anime that (only theoretically) can be achieved. If not, then I think you force yourself into believing that all standards are arbitrary and without meaning. With an objective truth the subjectivity is always in degree, which is just fine by me.

So, I guess I have to backtrack a bit on my initial paragraph. It is not my prerogative to tell people that they have to believe in a universal truth, so if they want to take the path of total subjectivity, it would be wrong of me to tell them otherwise.

However, that's not a path I'm willing to take, because to through all guidelines, rules and standards out the window is, to me, to invalidate the very nature of art. I think art exists to affect the human person, and I don't think that happens in a world which where everything is totally arbitrary.

I could argue a bit more for my belief in an objective truth in this path (btw, if you're thinking, "Oh no, a religious fanatic," I can do this without bringing in any religion at all, so no worries), but I think I'll stop for now.


I appreciate you writing me lovely paragraphs, but I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Don't be going telling people that they are blind if they can't see the same way you do. I don't care if it was a "hyperbole" or not. People can take that the wrong way. Hell, that honestly didn't even look exaggerated to me. You seemed to be pretty serious about your opinion.
35794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / My Chair, OH
Offline
Posted 4/23/14
I don't think you can ever decide the greatest anime of all time. Now I do believe that hunter x hunter should be watched by any fans of the action genre. If they think it is their personal greatest anime of all time then so be it.

Personally, this is easily up there for me (I can't really rank them). I can say that it has passed my previous shounen favorite Reborn! and that was up there. I think though that if the Gon x Pitou fight is any better than the King x Netero fight, then this show will become my favorite.

As a final note I'd like to say that I really hope they actually stop the anime at the point the manga has stopped at currently. I think that if they caught up to the manga and followed it (like most current shounen anime) it would really tarnish this anime in my mind. Fillers and limited pacing would definitely not fit with the greatness that Madhouse has been producing.
38909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/14

Lemontitties wrote:
I appreciate you writing me lovely paragraphs, but I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Don't be going telling people that they are blind if they can't see the same way you do. I don't care if it was a "hyperbole" or not. People can take that the wrong way. Hell, that honestly didn't even look exaggerated to me. You seemed to be pretty serious about your opinion.

Oh, okay. Sorry.

I thought that you wanted a discussion, not just to tell me off.
24273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/14 , edited 4/23/14
As a pretty big fan I would vote no actually. Anime that are usually penned by a team of writers seem to have a more engaging story than manga adaptations in my opinion. Psycho Pass, Cowboy Bebop and Now and Then, Here and There are what come to mind. It's very good. One of the best manga adaptations there. Miles better than One Piece, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach and so on.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.