First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
So why are people proud to call themselves Otaku?
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/26/14

hinhata wrote:

I'm serious. I am a huge anime fan but people saying proudly that they are a otaku but the meaning of Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc). It confuses me. Anyone care to explain? Yeah I pretty much fit that description except for the no love life thing but I wouldn't flaunt it.


I stay at home all the time and have no social life, needless to mention, don't have a love life either, and I am proud of that. Problem?
My reason being, I am happier staying at home 24/7 than when I used to actually communicate with others. Reality sucks.
62790 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/14

TsunLemon wrote:
I stay at home all the time and have no social life, needless to mention, don't have a love life either, and I am proud of that. Problem?
My reason being, I am happier staying at home 24/7 than when I used to actually communicate with others. Reality sucks.

Anime is part of reality too! Don't say it sucks!
50983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 4/26/14
misplaced cultural appropriation
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/27/14

bathroom64 wrote:


TsunLemon wrote:
I stay at home all the time and have no social life, needless to mention, don't have a love life either, and I am proud of that. Problem?
My reason being, I am happier staying at home 24/7 than when I used to actually communicate with others. Reality sucks.

Anime is part of reality too! Don't say it sucks!


First time someone's countered with that one. XD
Indeed it kinda is, but despite knowing that, I still consider Anime it's own separate reality. It just seems so cruel to throw to Anime to put it in together with our reality. T^T
11702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/14 , edited 4/27/14
I to some degree lump anime in with reality since at the end of the day, I acknowledge that it was made by real people and am grateful for it. I also like the community backing. If we had something like Akihabara/Comiket nearby, I'd find myself going out to buy doujin works and hanging out.

hinhata wrote:

Yeah because whenever iv'e seen them describe Otakus it's a chubby smelly and only watches hentai types but maybe iv'e just been seeing it wrong.


If you were a Japanese, I can explain to you what a noob/fuck is and you still wouldn't get the full humor/wit/derogatory meanings that natives who have lived the term rather than learn it understand. Most people would feed a dumbed-down definition to a foreigner to make sure he/she doesn't do it wrong. Actually, feeding the definition still means things are going to be lost. One has to be sure by experiencing it in various contexts. Foreigners might think noob/fuck is pure evil and should never be used but that's obviously false to insiders.

Actually, since context>definitions, this is why "otaku" is redefined in the West.
11916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 4/27/14
Just because you've read something on the internet (written by someone considered In The Know) that the meaning of a word is "negative" in another country does not mean you understand it any further. The word Otaku in American culture has different connotations than in Japan. We're in America, some of us Canada, the UK, and a few in Europe so what words we adopted (over 20 years ago) to describe an affinity to anime has evolved to be something people are proud of. That's why people say it. Otaku culture in the west developed in a completely different way under completely different circumstances than in Japan. Westerners are the recipients of a popularized genre imported from another country- (where it might be something they really want to be rid of) so meaning in one culture became something different than meaning in another.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/27/14
Forget Otakus. Is calling yourself a weeaboo something to be proud of?!
Posted 4/27/14
People will always want something to rally around and people love labels. There is no better way to define your interests then to have a label to assign yourself. Personally I don't like that word Otaku, it has a definite negative connotation to it.
552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/14 , edited 4/27/14
No offense, but I hate these kind of question.

It's like exactly like why do people like to be call themselves blacks, white, KKK, nazi, and etc..

Anyways, people just want to show that they're proud of their anime.
50983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 4/27/14 , edited 4/27/14

lianghong1 wrote:

No offense, but I hate these kind of question.

It's like exactly like why do people like to be call themselves blacks, white, KKK, nazi, and etc..

Anyways, people just want to show that they're proud of their anime.


Misusing a foreign term through ignorance isn't great though.

Western use of 'otaku' is exactly like those urban legends of getting a kanji tattoo that ends up saying something obscene.
6109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/14
I think the word should be banned outside of Japan.
Just my opinion though..
15030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Tennessee
Offline
Posted 4/27/14
I think the reason is that (in the West) people who don't know what the hell they're talking about have come to believe that Otaku means one is a sage/expert on certain aspects of anime. Most of us know, however, that there is a strong, negative connotation associated with the term in Japanese culture. You can be proud to be Otaku without flaunting it. Not a great label to have, socially.
50983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 4/27/14

bizzyliz398 wrote:

I think the reason is that (in the West) people who don't know what the hell they're talking about have come to believe that Otaku means one is a sage/expert on certain aspects of anime. Most of us know, however, that there is a strong, negative connotation associated with the term in Japanese culture. You can be proud to be Otaku without flaunting it. Not a great label to have, socially.


Funny thing is that internally Otaku have very bad self-image. Even in geek-pop-culture in japan they tend to be protrayed as disgusting fat slobs with poor vision and hygeine. (With the occasional hot fantasy-girl)

15030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Tennessee
Offline
Posted 4/27/14
I think we see eye to eye on this topic. Misplaced cultural appropriation, indeed.
10205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The MOOOON
Offline
Posted 4/27/14
dafaq is a weebooo iv'e herd it but never understood it lol
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.