First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Dubbed anime: Views and opinions
37559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/14

Shrapnel893 wrote:


Dubnoman wrote:

There are some very bad dubs out there, for sure.

I found this official Singapore dub of One Piece recently. So bad.

Youtube video. Less than 50 seconds. Check out how bad the Singapore dub is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVgO6GKCZF4


I liked it. This one is even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qylk_uscg



It isn't just the bad dub that makes it goofy (and amusing!). It is the odd music playing in the scene and the guy in the mirror saying "Dude!" a few times. Altogether, it...just makes it goofy.
5793 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 4/27/14

Dubnoman wrote:

There are some very bad dubs out there, for sure.

I found this official Singapore dub of One Piece recently. So bad.

Youtube video. Less than 50 seconds. Check out how bad the Singapore dub is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVgO6GKCZF4


INSTINCT! haha
25237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/14
Generally, I prefer dubbed over sub. It just seems better hearing it in my own language than Japenese. However, I also tend to prefer whatever I hear first, so for example Fairy Tail, since I watched it so long in sub, the dub sounds weird to me. I'm not saying the dub is bad, it's just different, and that makes it harder for me to enjoy. There are also some anime where either the dub falls flat, or the sub does it so much better that I'd prefer watching the sub even though I started with the dub.

So...to answer your question, yes, I'd prefer Crunchyroll to have more dubbed anime. Currently it's pretty hard to find legal sources for dubbed anime for a lot of shows, at least not without paying a subscription for it. I know some people only want to watch subbed, which is great if that's what they enjoy, but I'd prefer the option of dub as well.
105913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/27/14

yngvarr wrote:

There is something funny I noticed while watching a Funimation DVD. I decided to put the English audio track and the English subtitles on at the same time. They didn't really match at all. You'd think the person who was doing the subs would be using the same script the voice actors are...

The dub sometimes has to change what is said to match the lips flaps better as well as the length of time the person is speaking. If this wasn't done, the result would be more like a bad kung fu flick. In contrast, the subtitle script doesn't have those limitations.

I expect if you pay close attention to scenes where the speaker's mouth isn't visible, you would find more agreement between the dub vocal track and the subtitles.

6607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


yngvarr wrote:

There is something funny I noticed while watching a Funimation DVD. I decided to put the English audio track and the English subtitles on at the same time. They didn't really match at all. You'd think the person who was doing the subs would be using the same script the voice actors are...

The dub sometimes has to change what is said to match the lips flaps better as well as the length of time the person is speaking. If this wasn't done, the result would be more like a bad kung fu flick. In contrast, the subtitle script doesn't have those limitations.

I expect if you pay close attention to scenes where the speaker's mouth isn't visible, you would find more agreement between the dub vocal track and the subtitles.



Also, some parts the subtitle translation are too awkward or don't make sense when actually speaking English.
1838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/14
Dub? No just.. no
11678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/14 , edited 4/28/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


yngvarr wrote:

There is something funny I noticed while watching a Funimation DVD. I decided to put the English audio track and the English subtitles on at the same time. They didn't really match at all. You'd think the person who was doing the subs would be using the same script the voice actors are...

The dub sometimes has to change what is said to match the lips flaps better as well as the length of time the person is speaking. If this wasn't done, the result would be more like a bad kung fu flick. In contrast, the subtitle script doesn't have those limitations.

I expect if you pay close attention to scenes where the speaker's mouth isn't visible, you would find more agreement between the dub vocal track and the subtitles.



Subtitle translators also tend to opt for a more direct translation, while people in charge of dub dialogue have to consider things like appropriate dialect, word choice, etc. based on the character's personality and the tone of the show. It's really not just as simple as taking the sub dialogue and slapping it onto the dub - even with very well-done subtitles it'd end badly.

Personally, I prefer dubs. Not across the board, obviously, they vary in quality just like anything, but a dub doesn't even have to be amazing for me to prefer it over the Japanese, just not terrible. Nothing against the Japanese voices, of course, but it's just pleasing to the ear to hear it spoken in my native language. Unless I devote a lot of time to properly learning Japanese, I'll never be able to enjoy the acting to the extent I could with English.

And I do mean "acting". Someone else in this thread said that they feel like the Japanese voice acting just is the character while the dub sounds like acting, but I have a feeling that's just because they don't know Japanese. Acting is acting in every language - if that makes any sense. I just appreciate listening to the nuances of the voices. I also like the fan community for dub voice acting. I know seiyuu have that too, but although I kinda hate to admit it, with a few exceptions I can't really identify the Japanese voices in anime very well beyond what character archetype they fit into.

To be honest, though, I don't really see the point in putting more dubs on Crunchyroll. I can always watch dubbed anime on Netflix or Hulu or Funimation (or illegally). That's just not the niche that Crunchyroll fills.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 4/28/14
To me it sounds like most of the english dubbers don't act, they just stand infront of the mic and read a script.
All of the jp VAs actually act when they talk to the mic.
Eng dub sounds like the VAs just wants to get it over with and go home.
105913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 4/28/14

Des85 wrote:

To me it sounds like most of the english dubbers don't act, they just stand infront of the mic and read a script.
All of the jp VAs actually act when they talk to the mic.
Eng dub sounds like the VAs just wants to get it over with and go home.

For those that don't understand Japanese, I have to wonder how much of this is a case of believing something is better, so you perceive it to be.

After all, if one doesn't understand the language, they can judge only the tone and cadence. The person you think is putting on great performance could actually be overacting (something not difficult to detect in a dub). Likewise, a performance one might interpret as subtle might in fact be phoned in (again, something not difficult to discern in a dub).

1938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Bolton, England
Offline
Posted 4/28/14
I prefer dub simply because I like being lazy and not having to read. Can also mean I can browse another tab for a minute or so without having to pause.
4125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/28/14

TheAncientOne wrote:

For those that don't understand Japanese, I have to wonder how much of this is a case of believing something is better, so you perceive it to be.

After all, if one doesn't understand the language, they can judge only the tone and cadence. The person you think is putting on great performance could actually be overacting (something not difficult to detect in a dub). Likewise, a performance one might interpret as subtle might in fact be phoned in (again, something not difficult to discern in a dub).



I absolutely agree with this. People who cannot understand Japanese have very little standing when making comparisons between the original and dubbed versions of anime. Though, I'm sure some translations are bad enough that you can tell the dubbed version is a little sub-par.

But, for me I don't usually have a preference between subbed or dubbed. Sometimes I'm watching a subbed video and I realize that the few seconds I take to read the subtitles is taking away from my ability to appreciate some of the animation. That's the only bad part about subbed versions in my opinion. Of course, that probably would be solved if I learned Japanese. The bad part about dubbed versions though is that they can sometimes dilute the original feel of the subbed version. I can usually put up with that, but the worst part about is that it's extremely hard to find a dubbed video that isn't grainy and of poor quality. So, I usually watch subbed versions.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 4/28/14

TheAncientOne wrote:

For those that don't understand Japanese, I have to wonder how much of this is a case of believing something is better, so you perceive it to be.

After all, if one doesn't understand the language, they can judge only the tone and cadence. The person you think is putting on great performance could actually be overacting (something not difficult to detect in a dub). Likewise, a performance one might interpret as subtle might in fact be phoned in (again, something not difficult to discern in a dub).



Oh I can detect overacting in japanese too.
9312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 4/28/14

Muur wrote:

I prefer dub simply because I like being lazy and not having to read. Can also mean I can browse another tab for a minute or so without having to pause.


And people told me it was stupid having to look at the subs all the time because then I would miss out on the animation :P
Though I barelly look at the subs these days.
80202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 4/28/14
I prefer subs.

But to comment on dubs on CR, in general, you won't find them here. The simple fact of the matter is that dubbed shows are created by companies that have licensed the show for localization in their area(s). So, after investing in both the license and the cost of dubbing, they generally aren't going to allow a competitor to make money off their property by sub-licensing the streaming rights to CR. And that's assuming they even legally have that option based on the contract they've made with the property owners in Japan.
9277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 4/28/14
I just dislike dubs in general. IMO it kills a huge part of a character and I also think japanese sounds much cooler :3
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.