First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Clichés in Anime
15826 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

dwadewade wrote:

The cliche I always notice are those river bank scenes. It always seems like the exact same river bank lol.


That too. We should have a scene where there's these two characters talking romantic and important things on the river bank, then the camera pans back and we find out the bank is FULL of other couples from other anime talking equally romantic and important things .

28448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/30/14 , edited 4/30/14

Lykradonai wrote:

Instead of listing, I'll combine it into a story! In this case, a harem.

1. The Main Character (MC) is woken up by his imouto because he's late for school.
2. MC runs out of the house with bread in his mouth and bumps into a girl on a corner.
3. She falls over showing him her shimapan.
4. She covers herself, calls him a pervert, and smacks him. It makes an echoing sound and the camera pans to the sky.
5. He gets to school, sitting in that same seat (Right hand side, next to window, second to back) and his best friend, who is the comic relief character of the show sits right beside him, and his childhood friend sits behind him.
6. "Today, class, I'd like to welcome our new transfer student."
7. *mysterious pan of the girl he bumped into, as it is accompanied by those "ohh" noises people in anime make, while he best friend says how hot she is*
8. She sees the MC and smacks him again.
9. She leans forward and scolds him, and her inhumanly large breasts hang in his face, making him get a nosebleed.
10. Time passes, and he learns that she is a warrior from another dimension/an alien from another planet/a youkai/something else
11. The "plot" slowly progresses as random girls of generic anime tropes fall in love with the bland, wimpy protagonist. Most of which end up with him accidentally falling on their breasts.
12. Invasion of generically evil warriors/aliens/whatever
13. MC suddenly gets stronger for some reason having to do with love and friendship and saves the main girl
14. "It's not like a like you or anything, b-baka!"
15. *Open end where nothing at all gets solved romantically*

The End


That number 6. I always end up saying the line before the teacher even gets to it.
Probably the biggest cliche. Happens in Harem, Comedies, Slice of Lifes, Tragedies, Action, and pretty much any Anime that has atleast some classtime in it.
2580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Chillaxin' somewh...
Offline
Posted 4/30/14
To everyone that has mentioned the "back-corner-near-the-window" cliche, it's actually pretty simple as to why that is.
It's because the animators are too lazy to animate the rest of the students in every single class episode. Solution? Put the main character in the one area where you would see the least students, and that would be the back corner.
I will say I have seen one or two anime in which the main character has been in the center, but that usually means the rest of the students around them are not really detailed.
Of course there are exceptions, but that is the answer to this very common cliche.
15826 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/14 , edited 4/30/14

Wyvernaa wrote:

To everyone that has mentioned the "back-corner-near-the-window" cliche, it's actually pretty simple as to why that is.
It's because the animators are too lazy to animate the rest of the students in every single class episode. Solution? Put the main character in the one area where you would see the least students, and that would be the back corner.
I will say I have seen one or two anime in which the main character has been in the center, but that usually means the rest of the students around them are not really detailed.
Of course there are exceptions, but that is the answer to this very common cliche.


Yup. I can't help but think of how Watamote first played the trope straight (with Tomoko being genre-savvy enough to realize she WAS sitting in the typical "protagonist seat") and then subverted it by moving her in the middle of the classroom (to her great discontent) .

Another reason for putting the protagonist on that position is that in this way he can see stuff happen from the window. For example, that's how Light Yagami saw the Death Note fall on the ground. It's pretty common for most shows where the protagonist has to be ready to "go to the bathroom/infirmary" at a moment's notice to fight off aliens/monsters/whatever.

6416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 4/30/14


I seriously have the biggest smile across my mouth right now. Thank you.

But where are the unrealistic boob jiggles?!
90664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

Fanimusmaximus wrote:

I seriously have the biggest smile across my mouth right now. Thank you.

But where are the unrealistic boob jiggles?!


*.gif link*
29848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Free World Jail
Online
Posted 4/30/14
Pantsu service is best service.
23501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/30/14



I know right! The girls never eat their own cooking either. It's as if the girl knows she can't cook yet plays it off as if she does know how to. The poor guy is dying and she obviously doesn't really care. Too bad the guy can't tell her that her cooking is terrible because he'll feel her wrath if he does.


6360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

TheGordianNot wrote:


Wyvernaa wrote:

To everyone that has mentioned the "back-corner-near-the-window" cliche, it's actually pretty simple as to why that is.
It's because the animators are too lazy to animate the rest of the students in every single class episode. Solution? Put the main character in the one area where you would see the least students, and that would be the back corner.
I will say I have seen one or two anime in which the main character has been in the center, but that usually means the rest of the students around them are not really detailed.
Of course there are exceptions, but that is the answer to this very common cliche.


Yup. I can't help but think of how Watamote first played the trope straight (with Tomoko being genre-savvy enough to realize she WAS sitting in the typical "protagonist seat") and then subverted it by moving her in the middle of the classroom (to her great discontent) .

Another reason for putting the protagonist on that position is that in this way he can see stuff happen from the window. For example, that's how Light Yagami saw the Death Note fall on the ground. It's pretty common for most shows where the protagonist has to be ready to "go to the bathroom/infirmary" at a moment's notice to fight off aliens/monsters/whatever.



One more thing: It's an easy visual shorthand to establish your main character as standoffish / a lone wolf / someone with no friends.
6416 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

AnimeKami wrote:


Fanimusmaximus wrote:

I seriously have the biggest smile across my mouth right now. Thank you.

But where are the unrealistic boob jiggles?!


*.gif link*


I was expecting more but that'll do.
1631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

Lykradonai wrote:

Instead of listing, I'll combine it into a story! In this case, a harem.

1. The Main Character (MC) is woken up by his imouto because he's late for school.
2. MC runs out of the house with bread in his mouth and bumps into a girl on a corner.
3. She falls over showing him her shimapan.
4. She covers herself, calls him a pervert, and smacks him. It makes an echoing sound and the camera pans to the sky.
5. He gets to school, sitting in that same seat (Right hand side, next to window, second to back) and his best friend, who is the comic relief character of the show sits right beside him, and his childhood friend sits behind him.
6. "Today, class, I'd like to welcome our new transfer student."
7. *mysterious pan of the girl he bumped into, as it is accompanied by those "ohh" noises people in anime make, while he best friend says how hot she is*
8. She sees the MC and smacks him again.
9. She leans forward and scolds him, and her inhumanly large breasts hang in his face, making him get a nosebleed.
10. Time passes, and he learns that she is a warrior from another dimension/an alien from another planet/a youkai/something else
11. The "plot" slowly progresses as random girls of generic anime tropes fall in love with the bland, wimpy protagonist. Most of which end up with him accidentally falling on their breasts.
12. Invasion of generically evil warriors/aliens/whatever
13. MC suddenly gets stronger for some reason having to do with love and friendship and saves the main girl
14. "It's not like a like you or anything, b-baka!"
15. *Open end where nothing at all gets solved romantically*

The End



Holy shit this is the most amazing thing I've read. I pictured everything in my mind too lol. Anyways yeah fuck cliches
41081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

aeb0717 wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:
...why would 15-16 years old people be stupid enough to pick up broken pieces of china?


The bigger questions are why they can't manage to do so without hurting themselves, and why the china is unusually sharp enough to slice at the faintest pressure. Even scalpels don't do that.


imma nerd out here, and say that freshly broken rocks can be hundred of time sharper than a scalpel.

speaking of which when blunt objects are sharper than a blade.

can't find the image that i was looking for but this'll do.



also, really like how this thread is coming along. love the memo story lines.
23501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/30/14


This is so true that it's pretty sad and funny.
41081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

qualeshia3 wrote:




I know right! The girls never eat their own cooking either. It's as if the girl knows she can't cook yet plays it off as if she does know how to. The poor guy is dying and she obviously doesn't really care. Too bad the guy can't tell her that her cooking is terrible because he'll feel her wrath if he does.




the failed cooks are my favorite cliche, always adds a nice atmosphere in my opinion. and when they do feel the wrath it is still awesome.
38651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 4/30/14
The one thing that really irks me is when a main character always has an overused saying or when a particular situation comes around they'll go on this big motivated speech. It's ok some times, but when it happens every time I just want to shoot the character in the face lol.

Example:


First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.