First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Let's face it. We got one thing... Mine is
36051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/29/14
I enjoy anime, but I don't necessarily love anime. Every so often I take a peek to see whats on or what seems to be interesting but it just seems the 1000 monkeys on the japanese typewriters seem to be hashing out all the works. I can't blame anyone though. It's always a safer bet to hope for a cult hit with Light Novel Based Animes. Toradora ILY.

But I can't stand it that when I return to my highschool after 5 years for a wedding of two close friends who met at the anime club the newer members don't even know what Ranma 1/2 or Rurouni Kenshin is. They're like "Wuts dat? A Moosical?" I feel Classics have been glossed over by today's high art standards. Amazing works with less detail like Onepunch Man or even some Korean Manwha/online Comics would definitely be choice material for an animated medium. I'm not throwing out any unnecessary punches here, I've been really surprised by some animes I would have never taken a second glance at (Free Swim) or even noticed if I hadn't accidentally clicked it. (Log Horizon)

So that's my beef with anime. What's your guys'?
17771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 4/29/14
when idiot writers have charicters do a complete 180 for no reason at all.
makes me rage like nothing else.
case in point: last exile: fam the silver wing blah blah blah.
when the long lost sister suddenly show up and want to kill her long lost imouto.
72907 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 4/29/14
Much of it pandering to the lowest common denominator...Or something like that.
72907 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 4/29/14
Not saying MY TASTE is anything special, by the way..
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 4/29/14 , edited 4/29/14



Acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki let audiences know how he really feels about the anime industry in a recent television interview. According to the recent retiree, anime suffers because industry staff is made up of otaku who "don't spend time watching real people" and are "humans who can't stand looking at other humans."

Miyazaki explained that animating people can only be done by those who spend time observing others, something he feels the industry lacks because it's "full of otaku."

Miyazaki is not known for biting his tongue
. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-30/miyazaki/the-problem-with-the-anime-industry-is-it-full-of-otaku

For people who don't understand what it's talking about... Basically it's saying how HAYAO MIYAZAKI knows the anime industry is falling apart because all the otakus in the business are only putting content THEY like. Which means the animes are ONLY going to attract otakus. And remember kids, being an otaku isn't a good thing... it's looked down upon in Japan.

I want to see great anime that makes me want more but all I see coming out of anime industries is a bunch of crap that I have no interest in.
36051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/29/14

Dropplet wrote:




Acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki let audiences know how he really feels about the anime industry in a recent television interview. According to the recent retiree, anime suffers because industry staff is made up of otaku who "don't spend time watching real people" and are "humans who can't stand looking at other humans."

Miyazaki explained that animating people can only be done by those who spend time observing others, something he feels the industry lacks because it's "full of otaku."

Miyazaki is not known for biting his tongue
. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-30/miyazaki/the-problem-with-the-anime-industry-is-it-full-of-otaku

For people who don't understand what it's talking about... Basically it's saying how HAYAO MIYAZAKI knows the anime industry is falling apart because all the otakus in the business are only putting content THEY like. Which means the animes are ONLY going to attract otakus. And remember kids, being an otaku isn't a good thing... it's looked down upon in Japan.

I want to see great anime that makes me want more but all I see coming out of anime industries is a bunch of crap that I have no interest in.


I really do like this explanation. It's exactly how I feel things are going with Anime. I The shows are too far-fetched and unrealistic. I can't connect with any characters because they're just unrealistic or just boring. And this Incest fetish fad that was going on. That garbage needs to end before they start to have a population boom.
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 4/29/14

mcslave wrote:


Dropplet wrote:




Acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki let audiences know how he really feels about the anime industry in a recent television interview. According to the recent retiree, anime suffers because industry staff is made up of otaku who "don't spend time watching real people" and are "humans who can't stand looking at other humans."

Miyazaki explained that animating people can only be done by those who spend time observing others, something he feels the industry lacks because it's "full of otaku."

Miyazaki is not known for biting his tongue
. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-30/miyazaki/the-problem-with-the-anime-industry-is-it-full-of-otaku

For people who don't understand what it's talking about... Basically it's saying how HAYAO MIYAZAKI knows the anime industry is falling apart because all the otakus in the business are only putting content THEY like. Which means the animes are ONLY going to attract otakus. And remember kids, being an otaku isn't a good thing... it's looked down upon in Japan.

I want to see great anime that makes me want more but all I see coming out of anime industries is a bunch of crap that I have no interest in.


I really do like this explanation. It's exactly how I feel things are going with Anime. I The shows are too far-fetched and unrealistic. I can't connect with any characters because they're just unrealistic or just boring. And this Incest fetish fad that was going on. That garbage needs to end before they start to have a population boom.


This is why people in the real world think anime is gross and is some kind of fetish. We have those 12 year old looking high school girls who jump around in miniskirts acting all cute all the time. Anime is going down the toilet for me because I really can't find anything.... Attack on Titan was the last anime I really got into with in the last couple YEARS. I want real writers who make great stories rather than Otaku fanboys and their OCs jumping around with their annoyingly big boobs and mini mini skirts.
15230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/29/14




That is a neat quote you found. Food for thought. In the meantime, try something like natsuyuki rendezvous or golden time. Those are much more based in reality/ real people's reactions than a lot of others. I hear Space Brothers is like that too, but I haven't seen it.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 4/29/14 , edited 4/29/14
It's a generation thing. They'll get older and a new generation will pop in and be interested to something else.

This is like at&t u verse commercial where the 8yr old kid complains that the 4 yr old kid and his friends got it easy that they can watch where ever-- from the living room to their bed room to the backyard with ease. And, the 8 yr old kid added that back in the day if he wanted to watch outside he needed to carry the big ass tv.

18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 4/29/14 , edited 4/29/14
There's always someone in the generation that would be interested beyond what the mainstream is being offered.

We can't force people to like what we like. We can inform them or make them aware of the old times or keep things available to them to discover [e.g., by hosting a tribute, hosting archives,].
37909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Córdoba, Argentina
Offline
Posted 4/29/14 , edited 4/29/14

Dropplet wrote:


mcslave wrote:


Dropplet wrote:




Acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki let audiences know how he really feels about the anime industry in a recent television interview. According to the recent retiree, anime suffers because industry staff is made up of otaku who "don't spend time watching real people" and are "humans who can't stand looking at other humans."

Miyazaki explained that animating people can only be done by those who spend time observing others, something he feels the industry lacks because it's "full of otaku."

Miyazaki is not known for biting his tongue
. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-30/miyazaki/the-problem-with-the-anime-industry-is-it-full-of-otaku

For people who don't understand what it's talking about... Basically it's saying how HAYAO MIYAZAKI knows the anime industry is falling apart because all the otakus in the business are only putting content THEY like. Which means the animes are ONLY going to attract otakus. And remember kids, being an otaku isn't a good thing... it's looked down upon in Japan.

I want to see great anime that makes me want more but all I see coming out of anime industries is a bunch of crap that I have no interest in.


I really do like this explanation. It's exactly how I feel things are going with Anime. I The shows are too far-fetched and unrealistic. I can't connect with any characters because they're just unrealistic or just boring. And this Incest fetish fad that was going on. That garbage needs to end before they start to have a population boom.


This is why people in the real world think anime is gross and is some kind of fetish. We have those 12 year old looking high school girls who jump around in miniskirts acting all cute all the time. Anime is going down the toilet for me because I really can't find anything.... Attack on Titan was the last anime I really got into with in the last couple YEARS. I want real writers who make great stories rather than Otaku fanboys and their OCs jumping around with their annoyingly big boobs and mini mini skirts.


Hayao Miyazaki's explanation is BS for me. Maybe it's because I've never liked Ghibli movies...

You can find good anime these days, the problem is that just moeblob and ecchi is popular right now and everyone tends to think that's all the anime you can find.

Anyway, It's just a trend, it'll change sometime...
Posted 4/29/14
To reply to the original post -
You can't forcibly convince people of greatness. If someone did that in an academic setting about their own grades and how smart they are then they'd get their ass kicked. If something is truly a classic then people will discover and view it. I admit I long knew 90% of everything sucked before I knew of Sturgeon's law. Anime, games, whatever! Most is bad, but there is no reason to act high and mighty and look down on those that enjoy other things than you.

So yes, my beef with anime are prick like anime fans. They are the type that ruin private conversations that they ease drop on and invite themselves in to discuss some random title.

604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 4/29/14
I don't have any beef with anime, I just enjoy it although I do take breaks from anime as long as a week so I don't get sick of watching it.
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/29/14 , edited 4/29/14


Different times, different things. I started off on English dubbed DBZ myself, you know, back on Toonami when it aired. As well as one of the Gundams. I got off anime for a bit as I grew, but as I became more introverted and spent more time indoors and on the computer, I found anime again. I started watching it, haven't stopped. Sometimes I'll take breaks or go for long periods without watching, but I always come back.

The point is, don't get on them for not knowing. Instead, point them out. I know how grateful I am to people who point out some of those older, or perhaps just lesser known, anime that are fantastic. Chances are, if they are decent people, they'll thank you for it.

Ultimately, be open, and try to teach other people to be open, and at least try it before they knock it. That's what I do, every time I try an anime, or a book, or a game, or anything that seems like I might not like. Sure, sometimes you won't like it. But isn't it great when you find that one that you just adore?

An example, that new Secret Life of Walter Mitty movie, off the book. I read a diagnosis of the book, didn't seem interesting as the protagonist was the usual for the author who wrote it, weak willed and easily bullied by women. Milquetoast. Doesn't even change according to the diagnosis. Dies that way too. Without any change. Plus, the movie just didn't look like my kind of film. So I wasn't so eager when I wanted to spend time with my sister, go see a movie with her, and she picks that movie. This one movie I had virtually no interested in.

I freaking loved it.

So, remember. Expectations are meant to be defied, and you'll never know what you'll like.


Also, if you're curious why I went on that tirade and wrote all that? I have a ton of energy to waste, and I figured that might be a good thing for you to keep in mind should you ever need to convince anyone you know of trying new things.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 4/30/14 , edited 4/30/14
Well, the most common thing that people hate on the community: haters.
Including people that hate on something just because it has a loli in it, and fellow lolicon that hate on one because it lacks lolis, without even giving the series a try.
There are a fair amount of Anime out there that people will surely enjoy despite it not including the things you love.
In my case, first 3 Anime that pop into my head being Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou, Senran Kagura, High School DxD. Full male main cast and Oppai Anime? My two biggest no's when it comes to what I watch, yet found these, among others, extremely enjoyable.


mcslave wrote:

I enjoy anime, but I don't necessarily love anime. Every so often I take a peek to see whats on or what seems to be interesting but it just seems the 1000 monkeys on the japanese typewriters seem to be hashing out all the works. I can't blame anyone though. It's always a safer bet to hope for a cult hit with Light Novel Based Animes. Toradora ILY.

But I can't stand it that when I return to my highschool after 5 years for a wedding of two close friends who met at the anime club the newer members don't even know what Ranma 1/2 or Rurouni Kenshin is. They're like "Wuts dat? A Moosical?" I feel Classics have been glossed over by today's high art standards. Amazing works with less detail like Onepunch Man or even some Korean Manwha/online Comics would definitely be choice material for an animated medium. I'm not throwing out any unnecessary punches here, I've been really surprised by some animes I would have never taken a second glance at (Free Swim) or even noticed if I hadn't accidentally clicked it. (Log Horizon)

So that's my beef with anime. What's your guys'?


While I have certainly heard of Ranma and RK, have never given them a try. I don't know why I find it hard to get used to old (90's) Anime. Guess I started watching Anime too late. The sadness. Planning on doing so one day, but never work up the motivation to do so. Need someone to enlighten me on their greatness I guess.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.