First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Hollywood Should Never Adapt Any Anime/Manga
15180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Alhambra, CA
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

tehstud wrote:

Why should the actor's ethnicity matter?

But I agree, most american adaptations of anime/manga suck, but it doesn't mean they should be banned lol.


Errr... to portray the characters better and a better feel for the viewers? In my opinion, the character being played should fit the actor/actress.
216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/30/14
I think Hollywood could make a decent adaption of an anime/manga. It would depend on the budget and who is working on it.
15180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Alhambra, CA
Offline
Posted 4/30/14

PsychoGamer8229 wrote:


thomascgty wrote:

Hollywood should be banned from doing it not only adapting Anime/Manga to live version but also on other areas. Anyone seen the movies that they have been producing for the past years? Especially with those characters that involved a specific Ethnic background.

Dragon Ball is bad to the point where I thought Son Goku is Son Gohan all throughout the film. 47Ronin has (WTF!) Keanu Reeves as the Kai. DoA is pretty much a soft porn. And... there are more...


For example, the Last Airbender. It was confirmed by the creators of the show that it takes place in an Asian world. You see, the Air Nomads are supposed to be Tibetan, the Northern and Southern water tribes are Inuit, the Earth Kingdom are Chinese, and the Fire Nation are Japanese. Yet in the film, they had the main characters as white and the Fire Nation as dark skinned. Originally, they wanted Jesse McCartney to be Zuko but he had scheduling conflicts. This means that originally the whole cast was going to be white.


The problem with Hollywood and America (in general) is that you have to be politically correct. You can't even make a something without including people of other races. Otherwise, you'll be called racist.
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 4/30/14
there is a reason why anime is anime and hollywood is hollywood.

anything beyond action movies are really costly to make and the support would be low. i mean if you watch superman animation, there are plenty of awesome things such as aerial battles.

but think about doing that with real life people, it would be cheasy to no end.

anime has a badass theme, and movies have a "james bond theme to it."

anime has no boundries to what it can do. for anime to be good and raise money would take alot of writers to redesign the show.

i am not against it though. most asian adaptations aren't all that great either, its just that they fall withing expectation of the style of show. such as you would expect koreans to make shows a certain way and indians to make it another, in comparison to american shows.
1314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
To be fair Japan makes enough terrible live adaptations of anime and manga without the US adding to the pile.
11678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 5/1/14

Irybell wrote:

To be fair Japan makes enough terrible live daptations of anime and manga without the US adding to the pile.


This is really what was bothering me more than suggesting that Hollywood movies might suck. I think a Hollywood anime movie would at this point still end up very whitewashed and not very good, but like. Suggesting that every Japanese live action adaptation is automatically good because it's Japanese is ludicrous. I watched the first Death Note movie.
17434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
I would like to see a ban for Hollywood, Korea, and half of Japan from making live-action adaptions of manga and anime, starting with Korea, then Hollywood, then back to Korea, then the knuckleheads in Japan that do the really terrible adaptions of manga.
1314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 5/1/14

sporkaganza wrote:


Irybell wrote:

To be fair Japan makes enough terrible live daptations of anime and manga without the US adding to the pile.


This is really what was bothering me more than suggesting that Hollywood movies might suck. I think a Hollywood anime movie would at this point still end up very whitewashed and not very good, but like. Suggesting that every Japanese live action adaptation is automatically good because it's Japanese is ludicrous. I watched the first Death Note movie.


Just be thankful you didn't see the third live action Death Note movie.
56952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
*ponders*

What if we got Bollywood to adapt anime / manga instead? I'd watch the Hell out of that.
11678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 5/1/14

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

*ponders*

What if we got Bollywood to adapt anime / manga instead? I'd watch the Hell out of that.


Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

(I'd watch the hell out of Bollywood Evangelion.)
Le_Dom 
16895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
If anything, American studios adapting animes into live action movies would be a sign that anime is getting more recognition in the west, outside of its niche community.

And even if they end up sucking, then hey: no one is forcing you to come out of your house to watch it. You would have the amazing option to pretend the film doesn't exist and NOT watch it. And who's to say more competent directors wouldn't learn from their predecessor mistakes?

And honestly, stop demonizing the very country you're from and then put Japan on a pedestral. Japan is NOT a perfect country either.
11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Online
Posted 5/1/14 , edited 5/1/14
I hate to wee on your bonfire put it's not just America being incapable to understand the godlike wonder that is Japan. Most countries that attempt to do something with film from a different country butcher it. Even something as simple as Transformers. With voices alone, I refuse to accept anyone else as Optimus who isn't Peter Cullen. It's not like we haven't seen Japan throw out American stereotypes and such before. To be honest, I think that anime and manga should stay away from live action full stop. Half the wonder is that it's fictional. Putting it in the realms of reality makes it impossible to pull off so many tropes that we see in anime, or assuming they do try to pull them off it would come across as stupid. It's not just Hollywood, it's most movie makers in general. Be it anime or videogames, most adaptations to real life end up being terrible with very few exceptions. As far as Hollywood is concerned, they're all right at action and splosions, but outside of that there's never often anything special.
Le_Dom 
16895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
On a similar note, I'd love to see Tarantino make a Baccano! movie.
56952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 5/1/14

sporkaganza wrote:
(I'd watch the hell out of Bollywood Evangelion.)


*cue Asuka and Shinji having a song-and-dance number about how they cannot stand each other*
79739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 5/1/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I hate to wee on your bonfire put it's not just America being incapable to understand the godlike wonder that is Japan. Most countries that attempt to do something with film from a different country butcher it. Even something as simple as Transformers. With voices alone, I refuse to accept anyone else as Optimus who isn't Peter Cullen. It's not like we haven't seen Japan throw out American stereotypes and such before. To be honest, I think that anime and manga should stay away from live action full stop. Half the wonder is that it's fictional. Putting it in the realms of reality makes it impossible to pull off so many tropes that we see in anime, or assuming they do try to pull them off it would come across as stupid. It's not just Hollywood, it's most movie makers in general. Be it anime or videogames, most adaptations to real life end up being terrible with very few exceptions.


Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. Adaptations are always a risky venture.

The real problem is that Hollywood is a business and they are going to always err on the side of whatever they think will make them more money. Whitewashing an anime adaptation? Of course they will, since they think that will appeal more to American audiences. When it comes down to it, they aren't adapting the show for the fans.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.