First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Hollywood Should Never Adapt Any Anime/Manga
98396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
Japanese live action is bad too dude.
13101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
Who cares if they get made? I know you might feel you have to watch them, but you don't really. Maybe one day it might throw up a gem and it will all be worth it - though even then it'd probably have its fair amount of critics because it hasn't been 100% loyal in its adaptation!

I have a feeling if they made one the vast majority of this forum had no problems with, it would be an absolute flop in terms of box-office success. You don't care about that, but obviously Hollywood does.
8275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/1/14
i heard something about a live action Ninja Scroll... say it aint so...
8275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/1/14

Sacae89 wrote:

Japanese live action is bad too dude.


this is also true lawl
28334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/2/14 , edited 5/2/14
I think a good trade off between popularity and quality of adaptation might be found. There's lots of anime that's already perfect for a movie adaptation if they were willing to throw in enough resources. Death Note is a mind game thriller - how would that not work? I think they could make it into a wonderful movie that would be popular with western audiences as well if they used for example the ending from the Japanese live action movies (rather than the manga one, which dragged the story a bit too long for a single movie). Sure, it wouldn't be 100% faithful movie, but it would be good, if I want to see the original story I always have the manga and the anime after all.
Fullmetal Alchemist is a trilogy waiting to happen. Bleach would work very well too, and could be moved to an American setting without any major shocks (at least as far as the normal world goes. Shinigami are really from all kinds of ethnicities and with all kinds of different looks so it doesn't matter too much). They did Gravity, they could do Planetes. They did Pacific Rim, they could do Evangelion, or better, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Baccano and Durarara are in fact so INSPIRED by Hollywood movies they could be just lifted from their current media and turned into movies instantly.

I think the biggest issue is a cultural one: big execs don't see Japanese anime as something that can be "popular". That's because big movie execs are usually stupid. They just go by rules of thumb and never consider things from a broader perspective. Superheroes "couldn't be popular" either - except turns out they CAN, and now Robert Downey Jr. is millions of fangirls' wet dream and even friggin' Guardians of the Galaxy are getting a movie. Girl heroes didn't work as protagonists of action stories - except OH SORRY I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ALL THAT CASH FLOWING INTO THE HUNGER GAMES' FRANCHISE. And so on. If someone will do one good anime movie, with high production values, the dam will be broken and anime will be plundered for new plots. Such is the hunger of Hollywood for new inspirations (always better to adapt something that already has a fanbase than, God forbid, try doing something original). They swept the superhero comics. They swept the YA novel market. As soon as someone will show that "it can be done", cinemas will be flooded with anime inspired movies as well.
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/2/14
okay, thanks for sharing your opinion.

1838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/2/14
Ok.. Reading these comments is hilarious but seriously why can't Anime just stay Anime? I don't wanna watch live action or whatever hollywood is doing cuz it's always the same crap! What makes anime unique in the first place in my opinion is that it's animated. Get it? Anime/Animated
Posted 5/2/14 , edited 5/2/14
couldn't get worse than the DBZ movie right? *shivers*
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 5/2/14 , edited 5/2/14
Well the good part about hollywood adapting animes is that it will reach out to a much larger audience. I might be reaching, but it is possible it could bring in more anime fans, which would also lead to higher budget for animation studios, thus making animes even better.

Of course if all the live action movies turn out bad it would have the complete opposite effect. I think the upcoming adaption of "all you need is kill" could turn out to be a little above decent, so lets cross our fingers guys.
588 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/2/14
So many weeaboos on this post
11918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 5/2/14
I agree but for a slightly different reason...
It is worse than just ethnocentric, to want to Americanize an anime but to have the attitude, as Hollywood clearly does- that they need to make live action films out of anime, as if live action film is somehow more "real" and therefore anime is only ever relegated to a secondary role as "just cartoons"-waiting to become a "real movie".
Why dufaq do we need a live action Akira, or a live action Cowboy Bebop? For WHAT AUDIENCE?!? They are so ignorant, like it doesn't calculate in their skull, these greedy bastards, that the anime audience wants ANIME.
And the live actor movie audience probably does not get anime!!!111 So spend upwards of 10 million bucks making a ridiculously complicated movie for an audience that enjoys the animated medium... because what we really want is live action movies !? WTF.
They could take a hint and make an actual decent traditionally animated movie for a change- instead of this Pixar crap. But no. They want to give us Keanu Reeves as Spike Spiegel- the last actor in the world who is anything like Spike Spiegel.
1645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Rochester, MN
Offline
Posted 5/2/14 , edited 5/2/14

KingKaio wrote:

Why dufaq do we need a live action Akira, or a live action Cowboy Bebop? For WHAT AUDIENCE?!? They are so ignorant, like it doesn't calculate in their skull, these greedy bastards, that the anime audience wants ANIME.

I disagree with this. If it were a live action adaptation that was quality work, I won't hesitate to watch it. The only thing that turns me away from Hollywood's adaptation of a lot of anime (actually, not just anime but also other Asian movies) is that they try to Americanize it too much, watering the content down to appeal to a much larger audience.
11918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 5/2/14

DaKromwell wrote:

I disagree with this. If it were a live action adaptation that was quality work, I won't hesitate to watch it. The only thing that turns me away from Hollywood's adaptation of a lot of anime (actually, not just anime but also other Asian movies) is that they try to Americanize it too much, watering the content down to appeal to a much larger audience.


Here's my problem- the only reason you claim to not like Hollywood's adaptation is because 'Americanizing"; but using Cowboy Bebop as an example; what about it specifically is so very Japanese that it can't be adapted to a live movie?
My reason for not wanting a live movie is that it suggests live movie is 'stepping up' from anime (I don't know why any anime fan would disagree with this sentiment, unless they have no particular love of anime over any other media)
I don't see what needed to be improved upon in Bebop to make it into live action. Why not just another animated movie?
Akira is a different animal- the whole reason it was amazing was BECAUSE it was amazing animation. Akira took the medium and made it dance in ways we've never seen before or since. Animation is the reason it's cool. So live action movie makes no sense- it's just Hollywood CEOs going after generation X manchildren and making every comic hero-that-nobody-cared-about into movies, they've run out of ideas now they want to screw with our anime. There's no need to inject culture into it, because 99.9% of the American anime viewers claiming they understand Japan do not.
17777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 5/2/14
most anime should stay anime. the media just does not transfer well.
even if its japan.
1645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Rochester, MN
Offline
Posted 5/2/14

KingKaio wrote:
Here's my problem- the only reason you claim to not like Hollywood's adaptation is because 'Americanizing"; but using Cowboy Bebop as an example; what about it specifically is so very Japanese that it can't be adapted to a live movie?

You misunderstand. Americanizing is putting a wholly American spin on anything. You are right, the only thing Japanese (at least, from what I can tell) about Cowboy Bebop was the language in which it was spoken. But that doesn't mean that Hollywood could not replace certain themes that are easily identifiable as being Cowboy Bebop with American identities. Maybe, instead of them being Space Bounty hunters, they could very well end up as Texan Rangers.


KingKaio wrote:
My reason for not wanting a live movie is that it suggests live movie is 'stepping up' from anime. I don't see what needed to be improved upon in Bebop to make it into live action. Why not just another animated movie?

Stepping up from anime? Adaptations are just what they are, adaptations. It is a portraying of a genre of some form of art into another. Why do you think that an anime being adapted into a live action necessarily is being improved upon? Let me use a different analogy. So many music artists do "cover" songs of other artists that have come before them. Do you think that their aim was to "improve upon" the original song? Or merely interpret it in a different light?


KingKaio wrote:
(I don't know why any anime fan would disagree with this sentiment, unless they have no particular love of anime over any other media)

So, kinda like how PS4 users hate XBONE and vice versa? That's sounding very close-minded. Unfortunately for me, if its a film done well enough and in such a way that does not take away from the adapted anime, then, like I've said, I wouldn't hesitate watching it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.