First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply What are your personal opinions on the holiday know as Mothers Day?
20225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14
Let me know if a thread like this one exist.
Thanks a bunches.

_________________________________________________________________________________

The holiday is on May 11 which is a Sunday. Explain everything else in great detail.

Bonus Questions:

1. Is there a foreign version of the holiday in other countries?

2. Have you ever gotten your mother something for Mothers Day?

3. Is there any point in having such a holiday?

4. Are you a mother yourself? Have your children ever given you something special on that day?


Enjoy!
Posted 5/5/14
hallmark holidays. you should love your mom everyday, if she is worth it. there can be some bad parents (mothers/fathers day) that do not deserve any recognition.

2248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Salt Lake City, Utah
Offline
Posted 5/5/14
I think that there are too many holidays that specify on certain people for holidays. Like Father's Day, Children's Day, Valentines Day, White Day, Black Day, etc. Why can't we just combine all these kinds of holidays into one where we just give gifts to those we love.

Bonus Answers

1. There are different versions, but it's changed a bit in the asian countries to celebrate both parents in general.

2. I've gotten my mother a pedicure, and manicure for mothers day with dinner with the rest of the family.

3. I think there is a point if you just combine father's and mother's day, so it's a simpler way to say thank you.

4. No/No
20225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14

shimmer_ wrote:

hallmark holidays. you should love your mom everyday, if she is worth it. there can be some bad parents (mothers/fathers day) that do not deserve any recognition.



True. Not everyone is lucky enough to have loving and caring parents who wouldn't do harm to their children.
13116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/14 , edited 5/5/14
I think it's a great holiday. Mothers are hard-working and caring people (generally speaking), and they deserve to have a day especially for them. At the same time, I believe we should be showing our mothers and wives that same sort of love and gratitude year round.
I give my mother presents each year when I can, but sometimes I miss because I am pretty poor. I got my wife a nice necklace from our 19 month old son this year.
Guess what? Moms are so great that they don't even care if you can't afford a gift!
tl;dr
THERE IS A POINT!
20225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14

TheChowster wrote:

I think that there are too many holidays that specify on certain people for holidays. Like Father's Day, Children's Day, Valentines Day, White Day, Black Day, etc. Why can't we just combine all these kinds of holidays into one where we just give gifts to those we love.

Bonus Answers

1. There are different versions, but it's changed a bit in the asian countries to celebrate both parents in general.

2. I've gotten my mother a pedicure, and manicure for mothers day with dinner with the rest of the family.

3. I think there is a point if you just combine father's and mother's day, so it's a simpler way to say thank you.

4. No/No



Parent's Day for number 3.
Posted 5/5/14 , edited 5/5/14

qualeshia3 wrote:


shimmer_ wrote:

hallmark holidays. you should love your mom everyday, if she is worth it. there can be some bad parents (mothers/fathers day) that do not deserve any recognition.



True. Not everyone is lucky enough to have loving and caring parents who wouldn't do harm to their children.


never meant i was one of them

it really isn't necessary, the only holidays there should be are national (which commemorate an important event or honor an important person/group) and new years. i love tgiving and xmas as much as the next person but they are not necessary. i'd put them over mothers/fathers/valentines any day though.
20225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14

davideus23 wrote:

I think it's a great holiday. Mothers are hard-working and caring people (generally speaking), and they deserve to have a day especially for them. At the same time, I believe we should be showing our mothers and wives that same sort of love and gratitude year round.
I give my mother presents each year when I can, but sometimes I miss because I am pretty poor. I got my wife a nice necklace from our 19 month old son this year.
Guess what? Moms are so great that they don't even care if you can't afford a gift!
tl;dr
THERE IS A POINT!



I decided to make my mother a card for Mother's Day rather than buying cards. Those Hallmark cards seem so fake when I want to give her a card that comes from the heart.

20225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14



No. I wasn't trying to accuse you of being one of those people. I'm sorry for that.
13116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/5/14

qualeshia3 wrote:


davideus23 wrote:

I think it's a great holiday. Mothers are hard-working and caring people (generally speaking), and they deserve to have a day especially for them. At the same time, I believe we should be showing our mothers and wives that same sort of love and gratitude year round.
I give my mother presents each year when I can, but sometimes I miss because I am pretty poor. I got my wife a nice necklace from our 19 month old son this year.
Guess what? Moms are so great that they don't even care if you can't afford a gift!
tl;dr
THERE IS A POINT!



I decided to make my mother a card for Mother's Day rather than buying cards. Those Hallmark cards seem so fake when I want to give her a card that comes from the heart.



That's a great idea. I am a firm believer that gifts from the heart mean more than anything you can put a price tag on.
20225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14


I do that with birthday cards as well.
5327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Alaska, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14
1. Is there a foreign version of the holiday in other countries?

Whether it be mothers day or any other type or parental holiday, there's some version of it in other countries.

2. Have you ever gotten your mother something for Mothers Day?

Hell yes I have, and continue to do so, I get my mother a piece of Swarovski crystal every year, it's her favorite stuff in the world.

3. Is there any point in having such a holiday?

You bet there is. Your mother carried you with her for at least nine months, dealing with sickness, pains, and movement restrictions just for you come to this world, and afterwards, she carried you around fed you and kept you healthy as you grew up. If that doesn't seem to provide a point I believe you need to have your head checked.

4. Are you a mother yourself? Have your children ever given you something special on that day?

I am not a mother, nor am I married/have a girlfriend or a child.
26565 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 5/5/14

qualeshia3 wrote:

Let me know if a thread like this one exist.
Thanks a bunches.

_________________________________________________________________________________

The holiday is on May 11 which is a Sunday. Explain everything else in great detail.

Bonus Questions:

1. Is there a foreign version of the holiday in other countries?

2. Have you ever gotten your mother something for Mothers Day?

3. Is there any point in having such a holiday?

4. Are you a mother yourself? Have your children ever given you something special on that day?


Enjoy!


1. Too stupid to know.

2. Nope. Maybe a flower that I picked up from a random bush as a kid, but never gotten her anything that took away time from my day.

3. I personally pay it no mind, but the same goes to my birthday, christmas, and any other holiday. If it's just to say thanks to them, then sure, but I see no reason for the whole family to get together and be loud over it. I hate loud and crowded places, even if everyone involved is family (or maybe especially if they're family).

4. Nope, I'm a guy, and only interested in 2D girls. Even if I was a girl, and by some miraculous chance I was into the 3D, I would definitely be into girls so wouldn't have kids then either unless there were different laws in the universe that allows girls to have kids together.
13280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Seattle, WA, USA
Online
Posted 5/5/14
Find it really dumb to be honest, just like Valentine's Day. They are just made up holidays to make us spend more money.

Instead, why don't we just do things for each other year round instead of needing to celebrate a fake holiday?
20225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/5/14

Glorianos wrote:

Find it really dumb to be honest, just like Valentine's Day. They are just made up holidays to make us spend more money.

Instead, why don't we just do things for each other year round instead of needing to celebrate a fake holiday?



Aside from that, how do you feel about your mother though?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.