First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
How much would you pay for virtual reality gaming?
Sogno- 
45682 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
wouldn't pay a dime
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
For me, it really depends of how it works. Is it a treadmill design and goggles, or glasses that project image so your setting is the real world? Also, the games for it are important. If they are anything based on the real world, I see no reason to not just to it in the really world.
What interest me most about virtual reality are the things you can't do in real life. Fighting a medieval battle or shooting down enemies without actually dying sounds pretty interesting. Virtual reality isn't only for gaming, so I bet it will take off fast, and once any patents end, it will start to become cheaper.
The problem is what it's called: Virtual reality gaming. This means that gaming of software actually would become our reality. This, based on how the syste work, makes me wonder if I would buy it or not. So the answer to this form is I don't know.
61329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
To me it's not very exciting and a bandwagon I'd probably never hop on. VR like in .hack (and every other .hack clone since) is very interesting and what I would consider to be actual VR, something that could tap into your brain to make a seamless transition between the physical and virtual world. Right now VR seems more like a gimmick much like 3D tv, which happens to give me a splitting headache and doesn't work for my eyes.

I could see something like Oculus being quite tiring to wear, I'm not willing to strap on goggles to in the end still be using a controller, I'd rather save the money and use my TV. I do however see something like Oculus having uses outside of the gaming industry.

But for gaming? Unless we're talking about .hack style VR, I really won't spend a dime on it.

And about the current generation, Oculus, I guess it is a step up from this...


You still look like just as big of a douche while using it...


Or in Google's case...
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
ONE KLONDIKE BAR

OR

AIR
19036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

nanikore2 wrote:



Firstly, I may have misunderstood your original comment when I mentioned "disregarding VR." It felt as if you were encouraging the OP and others not to spend their time with VR, and instead rely primarily on the physical world. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Once again, I'm not saying that cities (especially the examples you gave) don't offer cheap and accessible entertainment - they certainly do. Also, my disagreement was not that places like Tokyo, Taipei, and San Francisco don't offer cheap and accessible entertainment - they do. I was disagreeing with your claim that [VR offering an inexpensive alternative to expensive real-world activities] is "totally untrue." To ease the misunderstanding, I've abbreviated the portion I am referring to:


nanikore2 wrote:


monsoon300 wrote:
VR is an inexpensive alternative to some of the more expensive real-world activities that certain individuals wish to experience... it allows access to expensive activities and experiences to individuals without the means to obtain them in the physical realm.


That's only true for people living way out in the boonies.

For places like the big San Francisco Bay Area and some east or Southeast Asian cities like Taipei or Tokyo that's just totally untrue.


For further clarity, my claim (once again) was not that the world does not have inexpensive and accessible things to do, nor do I claim that VR (or any virtual experience) should fully replace the physical world. I agree that everyone should interact with and engage in (to some degree) activities in the "real-world." However, I don't think the physical world should always be the first choice, nor should it take precedence over VR just because it offers cheap and sometimes free entertainment. The type of entertainment to be gained from VR offers many things that the physical world simply can't in an inexpensive and accessible way (take fantasy games, for instance).



27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 5/10/14 , edited 5/10/14

monsoon300 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:



Firstly, I may have misunderstood your original comment when I mentioned "disregarding VR." It felt as if you were encouraging the OP and others not to spend their time with VR, and instead rely primarily on the physical world. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Once again, I'm not saying that cities (especially the examples you gave) don't offer cheap and accessible entertainment - they certainly do. Also, my disagreement was not that places like Tokyo, Taipei, and San Francisco don't offer cheap and accessible entertainment - they do. I was disagreeing with your claim that [VR offering an inexpensive alternative to expensive real-world activities] is "totally untrue." To ease the misunderstanding, I've abbreviated the portion I am referring to:


nanikore2 wrote:


monsoon300 wrote:
VR is an inexpensive alternative to some of the more expensive real-world activities that certain individuals wish to experience... it allows access to expensive activities and experiences to individuals without the means to obtain them in the physical realm.


That's only true for people living way out in the boonies.

For places like the big San Francisco Bay Area and some east or Southeast Asian cities like Taipei or Tokyo that's just totally untrue.


For further clarity, my claim (once again) was not that the world does not have inexpensive and accessible things to do, nor do I claim that VR (or any virtual experience) should fully replace the physical world. I agree that everyone should interact with and engage in (to some degree) activities in the "real-world." However, I don't think the physical world should always be the first choice, nor should it take precedence over VR just because it offers cheap and sometimes free entertainment. The type of entertainment to be gained from VR offers many things that the physical world simply can't in an inexpensive and accessible way (take fantasy games, for instance).





Too much stuff to delete using an iPad... I'll just leave it since it's a short thread...

"Totally untrue" refers to those 3 cities... The statement was pretty clear. "Out in the boonies" meant places that definitely aren't cities, which I could imagine the boredom ( some people could still manage to self-amuse, but of course not everyone is so resourceful)

There is also another type of cheap"VR" that has 100% fidelity... Books. There's a reason that there are always people complaining about a movie adaptation of a novel no matter how good it gets... The one in their brains is the 100% true version.

Well, if you say that real world shouldn't take precedence, then it's with the understanding that VR shouldn't either...

If you look at much of the sci-fi stories about VR, you would see that the vast majority composes not of utopic messages but of dystopic warnings. There is a good reason for that. As an engineer that designs computer chips for a living I also see that dependence on these isn't really a good thing. Companies think about profit and selling first and foremost, and not whether anything they make is actually "for the good of humanity". This is not a jaded statement but the realty. I design these stuff because well, I'm being paid to do so... ( I do CAD work just as Shiro from LH does, and we both wear glasses from that stupid screen we have to stare at all day lol...)
jetah 
71777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
CastAR is ~180$
Omni is ~500$

so it isn't that much. the problem will be getting developers to support these upcoming peripherals.
second problem is getting gamers out of their comfy chairs.
19036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

nanikore2 wrote:
"Totally untrue" refers to those 3 cities... The statement was pretty clear.


I understand the statement was made in reference only to those cities, and certainly excluded "the boonies." Still, I think the principle applies in large cities too. Once again, my claim is not that there isn't anything to do (especially in these cities). Simply that VR still provides an inexpensive alternative to some activities, especially expensive activities, or those which are inaccessible. In other words, it provides access to a different type of activity than that which is readily available and accessible - no matter where you are in the world (i.e. there is always something that you can't easily experience, that VR could allow in a more convenient and inexpensive way (in some cases accessible)).



nanikore2 wrote:
There is also another type of cheap"VR" that has 100% fidelity... Books. There's a reason that there are always people complaining about a movie adaptation of a novel no matter how good it gets... The one in their brains is the 100% true version.


Book are a good experience, but they are a very different type of experience than that of a digital immersion system. It provides a different stimulus than the physical world or VR.



nanikore2 wrote:
Well, if you say that real world shouldn't take precedence, then it's with the understanding that VR shouldn't either...


Agreed. The choice between VR and "real world" should be determined on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the individual's preferences, physical capability, physical health/needs/balance (e.g. if the individual is lacking vitamin D, an activity in the sun (probably in the real world) would generally be preferred to an activity in a dark room), etc.



nanikore2 wrote:
If you look at much of the sci-fi stories about VR, you would see that the vast majority composes not of utopic messages but of dystopic warnings. There is a good reason for that. As an engineer that designs computer chips for a living I also see that dependence on these isn't really a good thing. Companies think about profit and selling first and foremost, and not whether anything they make is actually "for the good of humanity". This is not a jaded statement but the realty. I design these stuff because well, I'm being paid to do so... ( I do CAD work just as Shiro from LH does, and we both wear glasses from that stupid screen we have to stare at all day lol...)


As a software designer, I completely understand and agree. It is amazing what shortcuts get approved, and how many security protocols get overlooked. You're right - development of any commercial product is and will be about profits; quality will be a secondary or tertiary objective, which primarily serves to increase profit margin. As such, it will be a while before a quality VR system is made available, but even intermediate systems have some of the benefits mentioned in our conversation thus far.

27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

monsoon300 wrote:

As a software designer, I completely understand and agree. It is amazing what shortcuts get approved, and how many security protocols get overlooked. You're right - development of any commercial product is and will be about profits; quality will be a secondary or tertiary objective, which primarily serves to increase profit margin. As such, it will be a while before a quality VR system is made available, but even intermediate systems have some of the benefits mentioned in our conversation thus far.



In a funny way, the more you know about these things the less you trust them... In a twisted way, the "unintentional transparency" from NSA made everyone more paranoid; This transparency made everyone trust them less lol! Maybe that's one reason governments don't want people to know much hahaha

To keep to the topic of how much I'm willing to pay, I suppose I'm willing to pay a bit of my privacy... All these apps requiring me to do Facebook logins already do that. I'm just not too nuts about the possibility of Facebook chaining people to logins to VR sessions as part of their master plan after taking over Occulus. Yuck.

However, I'm not too sure about the kind of risks that was shown in gits:stand alone complex or apple seed deux ex machina where we get brain hacks and outright high jacking and brain washing... Computers are one thing, but something hooked onto the brain had better be 1000000% secure and 1000000000000% fault tolerant. I don't see myself betting my life on it.
Posted 5/10/14 , edited 5/10/14

nanikore2 wrote:


tretatum wrote:

So being bored on Wikipedia I came across some pages on VR stuff and realized how it could become possible in the near future. The main problem to have a completely virtual reality experience would be the high amount of likely kinda expensive equipment required for such a thing, meaning kinda hard to mass produce for consumers. To get to the point, for a real virtual reality gaming system what would you be willing pay. Granted it probably wouldn't be SAO, before anyone brings it up. More likely an omnidirectional treadmill combined with a HUD and other stuff. What are your thoughts?


I think people need to realize something.

The real world is so huge with so many things to see that there isn't enough time to see it all.

please, see the real world.

I'm taking time from my Hawaii vacation to type this on a crappy touch iPad keyboard, so ya better appreciate this message and go out... There are stuff in your local home town too, look harder.

Real world, 100% real!


While I appreciate your warning, you would be incorrect to interpret my interest in the subject as a some form of me not wanting to see the real world. I live a pretty active life and do so by choice. However, I do think it is kind of an interesting concept, from both a personal and business perspective and was curious if they might be a market for such a thing. As far as seeing the real world goes, not everybody does have the opportunity to enjoy a nice Hawaii vacation like you, and not everyone is interested in it. The world is a huge place full of plenty of things and people, so of course there will be some people who are interested in seeing those other things, trying to understand other cultures, and the great outdoors, and some that aren't.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 5/11/14

tretatum wrote:

While I appreciate your warning, you would be incorrect to interpret my interest in the subject as a some form of me not wanting to see the real world. I live a pretty active life and do so by choice. However, I do think it is kind of an interesting concept, from both a personal and business perspective and was curious if they might be a market for such a thing. As far as seeing the real world goes, not everybody does have the opportunity to enjoy a nice Hawaii vacation like you, and not everyone is interested in it. The world is a huge place full of plenty of things and people, so of course there will be some people who are interested in seeing those other things, trying to understand other cultures, and the great outdoors, and some that aren't.


Awesome. You'll most probably live a happier, healthier and longer life than a couch tater head, or someone who just takes vacations. I understand it's a personal choice.

As for personal and business perspective on the thing, you'd probably already have a good guess on what I think of the Facebook Occulus deal by my earlier comments in the thread...
13781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/11/14
I would spend a good amount of money. Of course, if it is at the level SAO is at, I would spend a very large sum. It would be very interesting to try.
20834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Space/Time
Offline
Posted 5/12/14
If it's a top notch system such as the one in Sword Art Online, and it actually feels realistic enough to make you think that you are in a different world, I would hands down pay over $6000 (Only If it's the absolutely best).

Anything that is average, I would pay about $2000 or less.
One Punch Mod
85857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/21/15
Closed because OP nuked.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.