First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
AP Season is here!
17960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

Aokidanza wrote:


The teachers of course won't know what's on the exam, but they should know the general layout and have an inkling of the kinds of questions that will be asked, since they should have access to tests from years prior. Did you take a mock exam for APUSH? Those are quite helpful.
/quote]

I took one and I bought a couple review books and did the practice tests in those and I did pretty well.
23932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
AP Micro this upcoming thursday. I suck at graphs, GG me.
14002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
Last year I tried taking the APUSH test after only taking a regular online us history class the summer before. So it was almost a whole year between the time I took the class and took the test. Safe to say I got a 2. lol
20 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
Dat AP Statistics = Easysauce
36388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 5/10/14 , edited 5/10/14

Bushido_Dragon wrote:

It was several years ago now, but I took Physics B, BC Calculus, Spanish, and Chemistry and got a 5 in all of them. I didn't think the exams themselves were that bad (though at my school all science APs were basically two-year classes (one year of intro, then one year of AP), which helped). The only frustrating part was that I had one on my birthday both years I took them (and the year before that I had SATs).


Besides you, where the hell are the STEM people who take or have taken AP Physics C (not the easy algebraic alternative known as B), or AP Calculus BC or hell even AB. Also why isn't anyone taking foreign language APs like Spanish or Chinese? Everyone is talking about silly APUSH and Art History lol. Most colleges don't accept that liberal arts stuff as credit I don't know why you only just take that stuff.

Glad to see at least a few people here are taking stat tho, also someone actually self-studied for AP Compsci...lol damn. But still, more of you should be considering calc, bio, chem, foreign language and physics C :P. (I won't actually recommend AP Compsci unless you really want to know something about programming in hs, the fact that the course relies on Java hinders its applicability to college and rl considerably, but if you want to learn about some programming paradigms I say go for it)
14002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

Jsybird2532 wrote:


Bushido_Dragon wrote:

It was several years ago now, but I took Physics B, BC Calculus, Spanish, and Chemistry and got a 5 in all of them. I didn't think the exams themselves were that bad (though at my school all science APs were basically two-year classes (one year of intro, then one year of AP), which helped). The only frustrating part was that I had one on my birthday both years I took them (and the year before that I had SATs).


Besides you, where the hell are the STEM people who take or have taken AP Physics C (not the easy algebraic alternative known as B), or AP Calculus BC or hell even AB.


Just took AP Calculus BC last Wednesday and am taking AP Physics C: Mechanics on Monday. Think I did pretty good on the Calc test, definitely a 4 maybe a 5. I had to basically teach myself AB because I went straight to the BC class in school. As for the Physics C test, I have a good shot at a 4, but no chance at a 5. Not enough study. I plan to retake both classes in college so it doesn't really matter what I get...
36388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

Farmer5 wrote:


Jsybird2532 wrote:


Bushido_Dragon wrote:

It was several years ago now, but I took Physics B, BC Calculus, Spanish, and Chemistry and got a 5 in all of them. I didn't think the exams themselves were that bad (though at my school all science APs were basically two-year classes (one year of intro, then one year of AP), which helped). The only frustrating part was that I had one on my birthday both years I took them (and the year before that I had SATs).


Besides you, where the hell are the STEM people who take or have taken AP Physics C (not the easy algebraic alternative known as B), or AP Calculus BC or hell even AB.


Just took AP Calculus BC last Wednesday and am taking AP Physics C: Mechanics on Monday. Think I did pretty good on the Calc test, definitely a 4 maybe a 5. I had to basically teach myself AB because I went straight to the BC class in school. As for the Physics C test, I have a good shot at a 4, but no chance at a 5. Not enough study. I plan to retake both classes in college so it doesn't really matter what I get...


Meh you might be surprised with your result in mechanics. You can get a horrible score and still get a 5...pssst this is also why you should've considered e&m, alot of people take it as an afterthought after mech and therefore it's curved even more. You can get a 5 on that exam with a 40% lol. Too late for that at this point unfortunately tho :(.

Also you might reconsider retaking classes when you see your college bill...but yet again idk what scholarships you got or if you're going to an in-state public school or not lol.
16837 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / IL
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

Jsybird2532 wrote:


Bushido_Dragon wrote:

It was several years ago now, but I took Physics B, BC Calculus, Spanish, and Chemistry and got a 5 in all of them. I didn't think the exams themselves were that bad (though at my school all science APs were basically two-year classes (one year of intro, then one year of AP), which helped). The only frustrating part was that I had one on my birthday both years I took them (and the year before that I had SATs).


Besides you, where the hell are the STEM people who take or have taken AP Physics C (not the easy algebraic alternative known as B), or AP Calculus BC or hell even AB.


Well being a Junior AP Physics C isn't available this year but I already have my schedule for next year and I'm set to take AP Physics C and AP Calculus AB. Next year I think my school isn't allowing juniors to take AP Physics B anymore. From what I have heard it seems like Physics C is doing a lot of the same, just with more calculus involved. I don't know if you would know because I wouldn't think you have taken both courses l but I would be interested in knowing more about the differences if it's anymore than a lack of calculus.
14002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

Jsybird2532 wrote:

Meh you might be surprised with your result in mechanics. You can get a horrible score and still get a 5...pssst this is also why you should've considered e&m, alot of people take it as an afterthought after mech and therefore it's curved even more. You can get a 5 on that exam with a 40% lol. Too late for that at this point unfortunately tho :(.

Also you might reconsider retaking classes when you see your college bill...but yet again idk what scholarships you got or if you're going to an in-state public school or not lol.


Yeah I hear that about e&m. My class didn't cover e&m at all, so I was planning on doing a self study, but I got really busy during the Spring and just never looked at it again. Oh well...

As for tuition, I guess it'll cost a bit more, but I'm gonna major in engineering so I want to make sure I understand all the basics before getting into the hard stuff. I actually might not retake Calculus since I feel good about that, but definitely Physics because even a good score on AP can have BS written all over it lol
14002 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 5/10/14

pongo903 wrote:

Well being a Junior AP Physics C isn't available this year but I already have my schedule for next year and I'm set to take AP Physics C and AP Calculus AB. Next year I think my school isn't allowing juniors to take AP Physics B anymore. From what I have heard it seems like Physics C is doing a lot of the same, just with more calculus involved. I don't know if you would know because I wouldn't think you have taken both courses l but I would be interested in knowing more about the differences if it's anymore than a lack of calculus.


From what I understand, Physics B covers is more broad, and is basically algebra and Pre-calculus based. While Physics C is less broad, but goes more into what it covers and is Calculus based.

For example, going to College Board and looking at the AP Physics course objectives, Physics B covers a whole topic, Fluid Dynamics, that Physics C doesn't even cover. But looking at other topics like Kinematics and Gravitation, Physics C goes into a lot more detail and covers things like rotational kinematics and angular momentum that Physics B doesn't even cover.

On a side note, my school is also getting rid of Physics B and will only do regular physics or Physics C.
36388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 5/10/14 , edited 5/10/14

Farmer5 wrote:


pongo903 wrote:

Well being a Junior AP Physics C isn't available this year but I already have my schedule for next year and I'm set to take AP Physics C and AP Calculus AB. Next year I think my school isn't allowing juniors to take AP Physics B anymore. From what I have heard it seems like Physics C is doing a lot of the same, just with more calculus involved. I don't know if you would know because I wouldn't think you have taken both courses l but I would be interested in knowing more about the differences if it's anymore than a lack of calculus.


From what I understand, Physics B covers is more broad, and is basically algebra and Pre-calculus based. While Physics C is less broad, but goes more into what it covers and is Calculus based.

For example, going to College Board and looking at the AP Physics course objectives, Physics B covers a whole topic, Fluid Dynamics, that Physics C doesn't even cover. But looking at other topics like Kinematics and Gravitation, Physics C goes into a lot more detail and covers things like rotational kinematics and angular momentum that Physics B doesn't even cover.

On a side note, my school is also getting rid of Physics B and will only do regular physics or Physics C.


There's a reason both of your schools are getting rid of AP Phys B...collegeboard is getting rid of it after this year and replacing it with two separate exams, Physics 1 and Physics 2. This makes the useless algebraic physics course only more useless given it is now designed to take alot more time to complete. If you're going into STEM, literally every school is going to expect you to learn a calculus-based approach to physics (and rightfully so, considering that's what people actually use and was basically how classical physics is defined).

After I took physics C and got a 5 in both mech and e&m after I only had to take a course in fluid mechanics and another in waves and quantum mechanics, both half-semester for my math major (these courses were basically the stuff AP B would've covered). I also elected to take a course in theoretical mechanics (where we basically played around with Lagrange and Hamiltonian models of various problems for a semester) for an upper level calculus requirement after that. Never looked back at mech or e&m...

Btw...calc AB and BC differ only in the extent of the material, AB is basically first semester calc while BC is first and second, nothing wrong with either I'd just take the one you can best handle based on your ability to absorb math and your workload.
16837 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / IL
Offline
Posted 5/10/14 , edited 5/10/14

Jsybird2532 wrote:


Farmer5 wrote:


pongo903 wrote:

Well being a Junior AP Physics C isn't available this year but I already have my schedule for next year and I'm set to take AP Physics C and AP Calculus AB. Next year I think my school isn't allowing juniors to take AP Physics B anymore. From what I have heard it seems like Physics C is doing a lot of the same, just with more calculus involved. I don't know if you would know because I wouldn't think you have taken both courses l but I would be interested in knowing more about the differences if it's anymore than a lack of calculus.


From what I understand, Physics B covers is more broad, and is basically algebra and Pre-calculus based. While Physics C is less broad, but goes more into what it covers and is Calculus based.

For example, going to College Board and looking at the AP Physics course objectives, Physics B covers a whole topic, Fluid Dynamics, that Physics C doesn't even cover. But looking at other topics like Kinematics and Gravitation, Physics C goes into a lot more detail and covers things like rotational kinematics and angular momentum that Physics B doesn't even cover.

On a side note, my school is also getting rid of Physics B and will only do regular physics or Physics C.


There's a reason both of your schools are getting rid of AP Phys B...collegeboard is getting rid of it after this year and replacing it with two separate exams, Physics 1 and Physics 2. This makes the useless algebraic physics course only more useless given it is now designed to take alot more time to complete. If you're going into STEM, literally every school is going to expect you to learn a calculus-based approach to physics (and rightfully so, considering that's what people actually use and was basically how classical physics is defined).


Ya, I remember hearing about how it's being called Physics 1 and 2 now. The way my school is doing it is Physics B is being split up into 1 and 2 so Juniors can take regular, honors, or 1. Then seniors can then either take 2 or C for physics. The way my teacher explained it was this way Physics B doesn't take a period and half anymore, but now it seems like C will just be all the more tough for new students if they want to take it only getting half of Physics B.


76801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 5/10/14
Good Luck, AP Students! Gambatte!
36388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 5/11/14 , edited 5/11/14

pongo903 wrote:

Ya, I remember hearing about how it's being called Physics 1 and 2 now. The way my school is doing it is Physics B is being split up into 1 and 2 so Juniors can take regular, honors, or 1. Then seniors can then either take 2 or C for physics. The way my teacher explained it was this way Physics B doesn't take a period and half anymore, but now it seems like C will just be all the more tough for new students if they want to take it only getting half of Physics B.


If you really believe that theory that people should take B before C (which I thoroughly refute after taking an honors level Physics class, followed by Physics C the following year 7 years ago in hs. After that experience, I feel taking a deep algebraic approach to physics before a calculus approach will only confuse and hinder you...making you want to look at the stuff the "easy way" you already learned last year) it actually would be easier as you would learn less material that doesn't apply to the course.

I quote collegeboard (click the orange link in the quote area for a link to the page):


collegeboard wrote

AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based is the equivalent to a first-semester college course in algebra-based physics. The course covers Newtonian mechanics (including rotational dynamics and angular momentum); work, energy, and power; and mechanical waves and sound. It will also introduce electric circuits.


The only thing in AP Phys 2 that isn't mentioned there is electromagnetic forces, which is covered in Phys 2 as mentioned later on that page--but circuitry (the part of E&M that is actually somewhat difficult to understand/extremely different from the kind of stuff you do in mechanics) is in Phys 1...so yeah. If you really want to take algebra physics before calculus, they're only getting rid of the fluff this way.
39482 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / University of Tex...
Offline
Posted 5/11/14 , edited 5/11/14
When I was a senior, I took the AP German exam. I knew I wouldn't do well (the last two years I was in German, 3 and 4, the class was combined with a lower level class and we did nothing), but I didn't realize how bad I'd do. The multiple choice included a lot of listening comprehension (which I had nearly zero practice with) so I did bad there. Then came the essays. They provided many sheets of blank paper, but I only filled about a quarter of one. Thinking the worst was over, I moved into the conversation portion. We were required to have a conversation with tape and record it. I'm not sure what was said, but it sounded like their car broke down and they were asking for help. I had no clue how to respond. The tape I turned in had more laughter recorded than German speech.

Needless to say, I got a 1.

Edit: I should mention, however, I managed to get 5 hours of German credit from a placement exam in college. I guess that high school German wasn't a complete waste.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.