First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Godzilla in anime!?
62812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/14 , edited 5/16/14

DethAssass1n wrote:
I don't think a Godzilla anime would really work. Godzilla movies aren't really known for having good plots, but for having badass monsters fight each other. I don't think you would really get the same sense of wonder in an anime that you get in some of the films. Also, I just watched the new Godzilla movie and it was amazing! I loved how it built up to the action instead of just constant non-stop action with absolutely no plot.



"Baka!"
25145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
Honestly id imagine a Godzilla anime would be like an episode of Power Rangers
28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/14

DethAssass1n wrote:

I don't think a Godzilla anime would really work. Godzilla movies aren't really known for having good plots, but for having badass monsters fight each other. I don't think you would really get the same sense of wonder in an anime that you get in some of the films. Also, I just watched the new Godzilla movie and it was amazing! I loved how it built up to the action instead of just constant non-stop action with absolutely no plot.


Uh. That is only half true. There are quite a few Godzilla movies that are more plot oriented than you are giving them credit for. Sure, most are not, but there are at least close to ten movies that are. Especially the original.
3412 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/17/14

DethAssass1n wrote:

I don't think a Godzilla anime would really work. Godzilla movies aren't really known for having good plots, but for having badass monsters fight each other. I don't think you would really get the same sense of wonder in an anime that you get in some of the films. Also, I just watched the new Godzilla movie and it was amazing! I loved how it built up to the action instead of just constant non-stop action with absolutely no plot.


Agree on the movie rocking
Disagree on the Anime not working.
Godzilla 1954, Godzilla vs Mothra, Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla vs the Smog Monster, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla 1985 Godzilla vs Biollante, GMK etc. all had awesome plots and some of them could have been good movies even without the monsters, which made them great.

The 80s and 90s films all have manga that resemble anime anyway: http://tohokingdom.com/comics/manga/gvsmg2_shog_alt.html

I'm using that as an example because it gives a translated run down of some of the changes between comic or film to one of them. It is not a complete manga or even manga chapter but uses certain pages for educational purposes only for a product not sold in the US. Some of those get plot intensive and brutal at times to evoke the same sense of wonder without you realizing the scale at the movies.

The problem is the toho execs refuse to allow a Godzilla anime. They wanted live action or bust. American cartoons have been allowed but unlike with Gotengo and Super Atragon they put an all out ban on their kaiju getting animated in Japan. Yu could see it when they had their shows like Godzilla and his monster friends in 94 that theyd rather use toys than animate something that clearly needed to be animated. Manda in Naruto comes straight from Godzilla films so I guess maybe the new owner of Toho lifted that ban when they finished making Godzilla films 10 years ago.
21073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
I saw the Godzilla movie in IMAX 3D last night and it was amazing. If production started on an anime version of THAT movie, I'd consume that like cheap eatables.
10205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The MOOOON
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/17/14
62812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
10205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The MOOOON
Offline
Posted 5/17/14

thanks for fixing but comes out broken anyways for me. Guess i'm ment to post broken things.
3186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Classy San Diego
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
anybody that likes old godzilla movies used to watch way too much power rangers when younger.... You seriously can't find anything more crappily made?
28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/17/14

tezuka2k14 wrote:

anybody that likes old godzilla movies used to watch way too much power rangers when younger.... You seriously can't find anything more crappily made?


Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about, but that is fine. It is your opinion. :/
3186 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Classy San Diego
Offline
Posted 5/17/14

Orga777 wrote:


tezuka2k14 wrote:

anybody that likes old godzilla movies used to watch way too much power rangers when younger.... You seriously can't find anything more crappily made?


Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about, but that is fine. It is your opinion. :/


well, IMO the best part about them is when they put on those crappily made suits and start slapping each other around, same as in the power rangers

3412 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/17/14

tezuka2k14 wrote:

well, IMO the best part about them is when they put on those crappily made suits and start slapping each other around, same as in the power rangers



Crappily made suits? Yeah, no. Of course, that depends on the movie. However, you are not helping your case about not knowing what you are talking about. :/
291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / San Pierro
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
I would actually watch a mindless Godzilla anime where it's just non-stop fighting like the Power Rangers, I would watch it but never re-watch it. A Godzilla anime that I would love is a series similar to Gojira and Godzilla 2014, where it's more about the humans trying to live in a world where Godzilla is either a huge douche and destroys everything, or if Toho allows it since they are pretty stingy with their rights, Godzilla going about kicking kaiju ass.
698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 6/1/14
You would have thought Godzilla would have been done in anime a while ago but remember these companies overseas are short sighted.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.