First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
FCC New Rules For The Internet Will Kill The Internet We Know
37343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/20/14
The FCC will propose new rules that will change the Internet as we know it for the worse. This is the worst possible thing that can happen. I'm shocked that Crunchyroll hasn't made mention of this at all. It affects the very core of their business. The streaming of content online.

If you go to the Electronic Frontier Foundation's web page. You'll learn more details of what can happen. You'll also learn of what you can do to speak out when the time comes. We seriously need to speak out to the FCC and to Congress when that time comes. This will be our only chance, our last chance to be able to do something about it.

Check out EFF's web page: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/prepare-take-action-defend-net-neutrality-heres-how-fcc-makes-its-rules

UPDATE:

Here is the latest on the issue. EFF has prepaired links to help the general public reach their Congress person and to say your say. Congress has great influence over what the FCC will do when they draw up their new Rules, so this is another thing you can do to fight to defend Net Neutrality.

Go to this link: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/what-do-you-want-your-representatives-ask-chairman-wheeler-about-net-neutrality
13317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / UK, Hampshire
Offline
Posted 5/13/14
American's we leave this in your hands in till it comes to us that it will, then we fight back.

Now i agree stomp down the FCC.
17761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 5/13/14
you sound supprised.
Posted 5/13/14
The large companies who this plan is largely in favor of have actually stepped up and helped to force Wheeler to revise his plan. It isn't going to be as bad as the original plan and there is hope that even more pressure can force it to become something everyone can be happy with. Reading through the list of companies who oppose him and even seeing his own fellow FCC commissioners say it isn't right is really amazing in my opinion. You don't always get a chance to see so many tech giants come together so completely on an issue.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303627504579556200630931292
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 5/13/14
Will this affect the UK?
Posted 5/13/14
104049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/13/14
The zero rule of the Internet. DON'T FUCK WITH THE INTERNET.

37343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 5/13/14


Verizon succeeded in getting Net Neutrality thrown out the window in a huge Supreme Court case, because the Internet is not governed by Common Carrier Rules. So now the FCC is looking to apply Common Carrier Rules to the Internet. I don't know what effect Common Carrier Rules will have on the Internet, but I can only guess that if ATT, ComCast, Verizon, etc don't want it, then it probably means that I DO WANT IT.

I sent an email to ask EFF that question. I hope they'll look into it and give us an idea of what they think.
85263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 5/13/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Will this affect the UK?


It will affect everyone around the world. Once it is legal to charge for fast lanes everyone will be pushed into slow lanes freeing up bandwidth on the ISPs which means they can handle more customers and have less strain to worry about. Then they also charge to upgrade to a fast lane so going to Google for example would be 10 times or more than that faster than say Bing. ISP will keep offering an even faster lane for companies so they will keep outbidding each other to stay relevant.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/13/14

Khaltazar wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Will this affect the UK?


It will affect everyone around the world. Once it is legal to charge for fast lanes everyone will be pushed into slow lanes freeing up bandwidth on the ISPs which means they can handle more customers and have less strain to worry about. Then they also charge to upgrade to a fast lane so going to Google for example would be 10 times or more than that faster than say Bing. ISP will keep offering an even faster lane for companies so they will keep outbidding each other to stay relevant.


So what does that mean? That we have to pay even more to use the internet?
17761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/13/14
yeah, sadly america is pretty much the leader of the world.
if it happens here, then its more likely to happen some where else.
crap like this is why i dont read the news.
justices goes to him who can hire the biggest law firm.
and the jury is a perversion of what it was suppose to be. you cant even say the words 'jury nullifaction' in the court room anymore.

edit: i better quit this thread. its pissing me off on an other wise good day.

peace out and chicken grease!
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/13/14

DeadlyOats wrote:



Verizon succeeded in getting Net Neutrality thrown out the window in a huge Supreme Court case, because the Internet is not governed by Common Carrier Rules. So now the FCC is looking to apply Common Carrier Rules to the Internet. I don't know what effect Common Carrier Rules will have on the Internet, but I can only guess that if ATT, ComCast, Verizon, etc don't want it, then it probably means that I DO WANT IT.

I sent an email to ask EFF that question. I hope they'll look into it and give us an idea of what they think.


From another article I read, but understood very little, it seems as though if they are reclassified as a telecommunications service they would be subject to changes the government wants such as rates and terms and conditions. It also said that if it isn't reclassified then it would be possible for broadband companies to create the same paid "fast lanes" that other companies have an issue with.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about this kind of stuff though so I honestly don't know what the real pros and cons of reclassification are but at the moment it seems like it could possibly be good to reclassify it except that I don't really like the government gaining even more control over things.


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


Khaltazar wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

Will this affect the UK?


It will affect everyone around the world. Once it is legal to charge for fast lanes everyone will be pushed into slow lanes freeing up bandwidth on the ISPs which means they can handle more customers and have less strain to worry about. Then they also charge to upgrade to a fast lane so going to Google for example would be 10 times or more than that faster than say Bing. ISP will keep offering an even faster lane for companies so they will keep outbidding each other to stay relevant.


So what does that mean? That we have to pay even more to use the internet?


Basically. Take Netflix as an example. Say right now you pay $8 a month to watch as many movies as you want. Now they can't stream the movies as well because they are being slowed down. They have to pay to increase their ability to stream the movie and since they don't want to eat that cost they will then have to bump up the monthly payment. That's my understanding of it all anyway.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/13/14



Basically. Take Netflix as an example. Say right now you pay $8 a month to watch as many movies as you want. Now they can't stream the movies as well because they are being slowed down. They have to pay to increase their ability to stream the movie and since they don't want to eat that cost they will then have to bump up the monthly payment. That's my understanding of it all anyway.


What a load of shit. So now we have to pay for broadband AND the internet as well? I already get 1 megabyte a second as it is, without the problem being made even worse.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Online
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/13/14

DeadlyOats wrote:



Verizon succeeded in getting Net Neutrality thrown out the window in a huge Supreme Court case, because the Internet is not governed by Common Carrier Rules. So now the FCC is looking to apply Common Carrier Rules to the Internet. I don't know what effect Common Carrier Rules will have on the Internet, but I can only guess that if ATT, ComCast, Verizon, etc don't want it, then it probably means that I DO WANT IT.

I sent an email to ask EFF that question. I hope they'll look into it and give us an idea of what they think.


Yes, we need the FCC to reclassify them... and their threats are null as they already have misused funding that was supposed to be used for upgrades. They will refuse to upgrade until major competition overlaps them in all the local zones.

We already pay for the bandwidth... now they want websites/services to pay for the bandwidth as well or they will withhold the bandwidth we ALREADY PAID FOR. These charges are also going to see its way back to us as Nexflix is already affected and is going to have a $2 price increase (for new members- at first)

Essentially we will end up paying for the bandwidth, the services, AND the bandwidth from those services.

From the government involvement angle... they are already involved by licensing out the public infrastructure rights in such a way that limits competition... there is legislation in places popping up in an attempt to stop Google Fiber from spreading. They don't want competition...

After Net Neutrality and 'fast lanes' their next order of business is applying the data cap pricing model to home internet connections.
Posted 5/13/14 , edited 5/13/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:




Basically. Take Netflix as an example. Say right now you pay $8 a month to watch as many movies as you want. Now they can't stream the movies as well because they are being slowed down. They have to pay to increase their ability to stream the movie and since they don't want to eat that cost they will then have to bump up the monthly payment. That's my understanding of it all anyway.


What a load of shit. So now we have to pay for broadband AND the internet as well? I already get 1 megabyte a second as it is, without the problem being made even worse.


Yea, it's definitely not good which is why a lot of companies are fighting it. The good news is that the FCC chairman, Wheeler, is actually listening and revising his plans. That's the only good thing I can say about the guy. To be honest I don't think he should be given authority over such issues since he is clearly biased since he was a lobbyist for the same cable and wireless companies that stand to profit from these "fast lanes". That's just the way it always seems to be though.


GreatLordBalzak wrote:

From the government involvement angle... they are already involved by licensing out the public infrastructure rights in such a way that limits competition... there is legislation in places popping up in an attempt to stop Google Fiber from spreading. They don't want competition...

After Net Neutrality and 'fast lanes' their next order of business is applying the data cap pricing model to home internet connections.


I think I would seriously consider murder if it helped bring Google Fiber to my area.

...I love my Google Overlords.

(Bolded part) What do you mean by that exactly?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.