First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime Isn't Misogynistic.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
Anime is idealistic, and often told from a male perspective...its easy to see why misunderstandings arrive
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
If anyone thinks the way some women act in anime is realistic, then I'm sorry it's just not.

And clearly in the first post it is 'realistic' and there is nothing wrong with it.

So this thread is just trying to say its okay. Therefore I'll just stay out of it.
70034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14
I think people use misogyny when they mean some form of objectification. That said:

You're thinking of characters like real people. You can't do that if you want to understand these arguments, you have to look at them as arranged factors in an arranged situation partaking in arranged occurrences in the control of the author.

The criticism isn't "This character is acting unladylike", it's "This character is being used in a way that reinforces objectionable gender stereotypes" and in many cases was designed from the ground up for that sole purpose.

Simply being sexy, or even promiscuous, isn't strictly relevant as those factors can also be very empowering to a female character in a traditionally patriarchal society. The criticism concerns the use to which the character is then put.

If it's simply a male wish-fulfillment fantasy, there will be criticism. And it will be valid.


That said, I rarely pay close attention to feminist criticism. I will occasionally use it to explain specific issues I perceive with some characters, though. And it can also be used to analyze shows that excel at gender/sexual identity roles.
29898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 3/7/15
This happens all the time in harems, but the MC's of harems are oftentimes the worst of the whole series. It's not so much misogyny as it is bad writing.

Edit: but I get the feeling I'm complaining about two different things and applying the same argument... Don't mind me
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 3/7/15
Well my reply will be entirely sexist... and lots of generalization... but this is what I think.

Most popular Anime objectifies women, and fit them into this... tiny frame where they're not allowed to be individualistic... they always need to be protected... or... belong in the kitchen making bento boxes... (but considering this is part of the Japanese culture, one might claim it's essential to display that).

Have you ever seen a clumsy male character? Why is it always the female ones that are clumsy?

This objectification and degradation satisfy the majority of the male viewers because that's how they see women and that's what their ideal of a woman should be... vulnerable and dependent on men.
Posted 5/15/14
A lot of anime has sexist tropes, there's no denying that. It's rare that there is a flat out, violently misogynistic works, but they're there. They should be pointed out and improved on.

Also, just because someone criticisms something you like cause it's sexist doesn't mean you can't like it. You can, just recognize the not so pleasant parts about the series. For example, I love yaoi, but it features rape in a lot of manga/anime, and it's usually a terrible trope like 'fall in love with the rapist' type trope. I will not deny these problems though, but I still enjoy it. I just recognize those elements as not acceptable.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
Hmm, I've never heard anyone call Anime misogynistic, and if they did, then no idea where they're coming from. From my point of view I see Anime trying to make females look better than they are in reality instead.
As for me personally, the ones I hate the most in Anime are the males, I hate most of them very strongly. Especially when it comes to most romance male leads I've seen. (fair amount of exceptions, but most are hateable).
So yeah, don't see how misogyny comes into play here.


Sacae89 wrote:

If anyone thinks the way some women act in anime is realistic, then I'm sorry it's just not.
.


Who thinks like this? Of course they're mostly different.
2D > 3D!!
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

TsunLemon wrote:
From my point of view I see Anime trying to make females look better than they are in reality instead.


Thats worse lol you pretty much saying women are better how they are presented in anime. Which is mostly a negative outlook that does women injustice. lol
104039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
common debate on the Internet.

2D > 3D ?

or

3D > 2D?
18530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
Maybe if more of those shows painted the 'ideal woman' as level-headed, kick-ass, and on the same footing as guys, instead of docile, cute, overly emotional second-placers, people would feel better about it.
35191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:
Have you ever seen a clumsy male character?


All the time. How else do they keep tripping and falling onto women's breasts?
Posted 5/15/14

Aethix0 wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:
Have you ever seen a clumsy male character?


All the time. How else do they keep tripping and falling onto women's breasts?




611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17
Offline
Posted 5/15/14


This is really random and doesn't relate to the thread, but I just wanted to let you know that I love the gifs that you use. I see them around the forums a lot.

I'm not a stalker or anything though
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

Sacae89 wrote:


TsunLemon wrote:
From my point of view I see Anime trying to make females look better than they are in reality instead.


Thats worse lol you pretty much saying women are better how they are presented in anime. Which is mostly a negative outlook that does women injustice. lol


Hm? I was pretty sure that by misogynistic the OP was referring to Anime making light of females or something or the sort.....guess I was wrong then.
BTW, no, that is not "pretty much" what I'm saying, that is what I'm saying with 100% of my feelings.
I can get along well with real girls in a friendship aspect. Fall in love with them tho? Never have.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 10/3/14

TsunLemon wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:


TsunLemon wrote:
From my point of view I see Anime trying to make females look better than they are in reality instead.


Thats worse lol you pretty much saying women are better how they are presented in anime. Which is mostly a negative outlook that does women injustice. lol


Hm? I was pretty sure that by misogynistic the OP was referring to Anime making light of females or something or the sort.....guess I was wrong then.
BTW, no, that is not "pretty much" what I'm saying, that is what I'm saying with 100% of my feelings.
I can get along well with real girls in a friendship aspect. Fall in love with them tho? Never have.


I don't even know what I can say about that. Anime has a tendency to women unfairly and idealized by men as weak and needing them. Clumsy, and so forth. To say you like that better, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Its the problem. That men prefer women that way.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.