First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Logics I hate
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/16/14
"I watch anime & read manga so I'm an otaku"
Please study the terms

To be considered an otaku, you have to do way more than just keeping up with couple animes and mangas. Your world has to revolve around this subculture (anime, manga, light novel, visual novel, etc.) It has to be #1 priority. It has to be the reason you live. You have to be willing to pour all your money into this. You have to be willing to skip meals and have barely enough clothes to wear, to buy more otaku items.

Plus, the term otaku is suppose to be a bad word. It was a word used to insult people who watch anime and read manga/light novel all day, stuck in their room. お宅(O Taku) means house. The word "Kimo Ota" is used nowadays. It means "disgusting otaku". So it's not even a good thing to call yourself an otaku unless you admit that you love 2D more than reality. It basically means you have given up on reality. Like how I love 2D girls more than reality girls even though I've been pretty successful with them before at certain points.

They say the only difference between Otaku and Hikikomori is that otakus are friends with other otakus while hikikomoris are completely alone.

EDIT: Some of you guys take this in the wrong direction. I'm not saying all otakus have to be like hikikomori. Just want you guys to know where the word came from and what kind of people are actually considered 'otaku'. Like some guy posted here, it's true that in Japan (or even in Korea), if you know about an anime that's not mainstream, people will call you otaku. And They will assume you do all these horrible things. But if you just watch few popular animes, you are not otaku.

And btw, I actually like to announce that I'm a weird ass guy. Idk if it's because I'm a masochist. That's just the way I am. If someone talks shit to me for being otaku, I'll be like: "That's right, I'm the Kimo Ota everyone is talking about. Got problems?"

"Anime A is better than anime B because it's more popular."
Apparently, they only watch mainstream
Goes further into: "Attack on Titan is a must watch because everyone else watches it. Don't watch that other stuff. AoT is where it's at!"
Fanboy/Fangirl. The 2nd sentence pisses me off. Telling people not to watch something.


"Just because I get my stuff illegally (anime, manga, games, etc.) doesn't mean I love them less."
Um.. yes, it does mean you love it less. I don't buy them because I'm filthy rich or anything. I'm still in college so I'm kind of broke. I spend less money on food, clothes, and accessories so I can spend more money on anime goods. People these days don't give a single fuck about the copyrights. The Blu-rays are expensive for a REASON. The production costs are really high so if they don't sell enough, they are losing money. Especially eroge (Hentai visual novel). The eroge industry is not that big and takes 10 people around 6 months to make one. Depends on the game, but usually, 3000 is where they start making profit. I feel so sorry to torrent eroge now. Because of ignorant people, eroges are now over $100 when they first come out. (But personally for me, they are worth it with limited edition stuff) Basically, when you buy something, you are also paying for the [it's so hard not to use a curse word]'s who torrent it for free. Blu-rays cost $60+ for 2 episodes of anime in Japan. In USA, I would understand about the manga part, since the official release as books are so slow and books are so damn expensive here! 2.5~3 times more expensive than Japan or Korea. It's the same price as first press limited edition, which comes with really cool stuff. I order most of my mangas from Korea since I know the language. But guys, at least collect your favorite series or something. It won't hurt you that much. Collect your favorite series and show them off to your friends when they come over.


Make comments & Post the ones you hate too, that way, there's a point to this thread
103979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/15/14
Are you just ranting? What are you trying to accomplish?
540 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / texas
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
I feeeeel like this was just to rant about something. And I'm sure there's another thread for something very similar like this but oh well. -shrugs- I'll join in.

I really hate the logic some girls have.
"This girl is talking crap about me, I can't let her get away with that I better talk crap back also" and it turns into a MAJOR cat fight and they just point out their physical features and make fun of them. And that just annoys me because what is the point. Oh well /rant over.
103979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

Charizam wrote:

You know what, OP? I am sorry for posting something really rude.


That wasn't a bit harsh.


Klassicgamer91 wrote:
Crunchyroll, is the least hostile anime site i've come across


Again, LOL.
52865 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
Ohhhh and things just got more interesting....
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

AnimeKami wrote:

That was a bit harsh.


I guess, but I see no need to coddle an adult, so yeah.


FkYouBish wrote:

Fix ppl of their stupid logics apparently.


Pffft.
Right, tell me when your war with the terrible casual fans ends.
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

AnimeKami wrote:
That was a bit harsh.


I don't mind. I'm used to it. All my previous friends told me shit after I have undergone change.
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14
actually I hate the logic that people don't want other people to use the word otaku because it's a bad word.
people call themselves nerds all the time, yet nobody cares. it seems the anime fans have a problem with the word, "otaku".

It's not like people are proudly labelling themselves as "paedophile"... that would be... the more disturbing thing. Otaku may be bad in Japanese society, but it isn't a crime to be an "otaku". So the logic that you can't call yourself an otaku because Japanese consider it "bad" doesn't even make the tiniest sense to me.

306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
Why can't we just settle this with THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP and just leave it at that.
103979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/15/14
The Game of Life.


40315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
I dunno...i just like watching anime, reading manga/LN, collecting character goods and just indulging in the culture. There is so much more i want to learn, as i am still a student.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

AnimeKami wrote:

The Game of Life.




I miss that game.
103979 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/15/14

Sacae89 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

The Game of Life.




I miss that game.


It was a fun game. The first time I played it I got married at the age of 10. Yup.

13127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
I disagree with the third one...I unfortunately don't put money into anime, but that doesn't mean I like anime less than someone who does, it just means that I don't purchase things as easily. If spending your money on stuff makes you feel like a "better" fan (whatever that means) then feel free. I encourage people to spend money on things you love, but the amount of money you put into something isn't directly correlated to the quality of your fandom...

Express your fandom however you want but don't tell people how to express their's...
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

FkYouBish wrote:

"I watch anime & read manga so I'm an otaku"
Please study the terms


"Anime A is better than anime B because it's more popular."
Apparently, they only watch mainstream
Goes further into: "Attack on Titan is a must watch because everyone else watches it. Don't watch that other stuff. AoT is where it's at!"
Fanboy/Fangirl. The 2nd sentence pisses me off. Telling people not to watch something.


"Just because I get my stuff illegally (anime, manga, games, etc.) doesn't mean I love them less."
Basically, when you buy something, you are also paying for the [it's so hard not to use a curse word]'s who torrent it for free.

Make comments & Post the ones you hate too, that way, there's a point to this thread


1) My friend is one of the English Teacher things in Japan. People call him an otaku just for knowing of anime that is not mainstream. Doesn't take much to get branded as an Ota.

2) SAO man! SAO is the best shiz in the world dude. Kirito like totally gets to tap himself some Assuna.

3) Thanks for being my sugar daddy.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.