First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Logics I hate
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

tgrall_345 wrote:

I am in no way interested in buying figurines and posters and other common anime goods. That's just not my thing aside from the few DBZ figures I played with when I was in single digits in the age category(maybe not entirely single digits but around there). It's not that I'm ashamed or anything it's just not stuff I want no matter how much I like a show. It has nothing to do with available income either. Guess that makes me a middle of the road fan, if that.


I buy them BECAUSE I want to live surrounded by anime stuff. Surrounded by bishoujos
Sogno- 
45646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
i thought this was a thread about the logic of anime
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

Sogno- wrote:

i thought this was a thread about the logic of anime


People's logics about anime and other subculture
1773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
Some people have too much time on their hands....
10950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

FkYouBish wrote:


tgrall_345 wrote:

I am in no way interested in buying figurines and posters and other common anime goods. That's just not my thing aside from the few DBZ figures I played with when I was in single digits in the age category(maybe not entirely single digits but around there). It's not that I'm ashamed or anything it's just not stuff I want no matter how much I like a show. It has nothing to do with available income either. Guess that makes me a middle of the road fan, if that.


I buy them BECAUSE I want to live surrounded by anime stuff. Surrounded by bishoujos


And thats fine, thats what you do. I just don't think that is a proper measuring stick for being a fan. I agree illegally watching is pretty shitty though.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

sundin13 wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

I disagree with the third one...I unfortunately don't put money into anime, but that doesn't mean I like anime less than someone who does, it just means that I don't purchase things as easily. If spending your money on stuff makes you feel like a "better" fan (whatever that means) then feel free. I encourage people to spend money on things you love, but the amount of money you put into something isn't directly correlated to the quality of your fandom...

Express your fandom however you want but don't tell people how to express their's...


You pay CR! Thats good enough!


Uhh, yeah...this is totally not a free trial or anything >.> yeah, I pay CR....hmm .-.

Sorry to let you down ;~;


Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

sundin13 wrote:


I think they just have different values regarding money...I personally am very frugal and really don't spend my money on much of anything... You can't judge somebody's love of something by how they treat their money.


Do you torrent stuff instead of buying them? Because that counts as "cares less about it". I don't buy all these blu-rays and games because I don't know how to get them for free. I buy them to collect
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

tgrall_345 wrote:



And thats fine, thats what you do. I just don't think that is a proper measuring stick for being a fan. I agree illegally watching is pretty shitty though.


People who have no fucking respect for copyrights.
Especially visual novels, ESPECIALLY the ones from small companies (companies other than JAST, Key, Leaf, and Nitro+) If they don't sell more than 3000 legal copies, they are out of business. And they somehow managed to reduce the production cost cover to 3000 copies by raising the prices for each copies. If everyone bought legal copies, they would cost no more than 30 bucks. But since that's not happening, they are selling them for 100 bucks when they are released as first time limited edition, and then drop the price after they made some profit

EDIT: Also, there's shitload of people who count manga by 'chapter' instead of 'volume'.
5654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 5/15/14
I've never considered myself an Otaku, but I do have quite a few anime, posters etc... The problem is that I'm a big fan of other things too, like Music, Sports, Video Games etc... So, I don't spend a lot on anime, because I spread my money around for all my other hobbies or whatever... lol

ANYWAYS, random logic I hate: Only guys can be sexist.
13127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

FkYouBish wrote:


Do you torrent stuff instead of buying them? Because that counts as "cares less about it". I don't buy all these blu-rays and games because I don't know how to get them for free. I buy them to collect


I don't torrent but I do stream if I can't find something free and legal...but once again, I don't believe your fandom is rated by the amount of money you spend on something. I consider the amount of enjoyment somebody gets out of watching/discussing anime to be the only valid measure of their fandom....
Posted 5/15/14

FkYouBish wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

actually I hate the logic that people don't want other people to use the word otaku because it's a bad word.
people call themselves nerds all the time, yet nobody cares. it seems the anime fans have a problem with the word, "otaku".

It's not like people are proudly labelling themselves as "paedophile"... that would be... the more disturbing thing. Otaku may be bad in Japanese society, but it isn't a crime to be an "otaku". So the logic that you can't call yourself an otaku because Japanese consider it "bad" doesn't even make the tiniest sense to me.



I didn't say 'nobody should label themselves otaku because it's a bad word'. I'm just telling where the term came from. I call myself otaku all the time. In fact, I call myself mega fucking otaku. And I'm a masochist so I feel pleasure by showing off my weirdness to everyone.

The point is, people who only watch like few popular animes, should not call themselves otaku
. Just like reading few books doesn't turn you into a nerd.


Then you should ask a mod to re-name this thread to... "The Official Code of Practice and Conduct for Otaku"
10950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

FkYouBish wrote:


tgrall_345 wrote:



And thats fine, thats what you do. I just don't think that is a proper measuring stick for being a fan. I agree illegally watching is pretty shitty though.


People who have no fucking respect for copyrights.
Especially visual novels, ESPECIALLY the ones from small companies (companies other than JAST, Key, Leaf, and Nitro+) If they don't sell more than 3000 legal copies, they are out of business. And they somehow managed to reduce the production cost cover to 3000 copies by raising the prices for each copies. If everyone bought legal copies, they would cost no more than 30 bucks. But since that's not happening, they are selling them for 100 bucks when they are released as first time limited edition, and then drop the price after they made some profit

EDIT: Also, there's shitload of people who count manga by 'chapter' instead of 'volume'.


I get you there its pretty shitty but its something that will probably never stop because people are people and will always find ways around restrictions to stop illegal streaming and what not. I have a couple miscellaneous series on my Xbox and that, with my paid membership, is my contribution.
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

tgrall_345 wrote:



I get you there its pretty shitty but its something that will probably never stop because people are people and will always find ways around restrictions to stop illegal streaming and what not. I have a couple miscellaneous series on my Xbox and that, with my paid membership, is my contribution.


I'm not saying nobody should do anything illegally. Sometimes even I have to torrent stuff because some of the stuff I watch are not on Crunchyroll

But the ones who do EVERYTHING illegally. Are pests to the industry. They say they love anime/manga? That's like roaches saying they love food too
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

sundin13 wrote:



I don't torrent but I do stream if I can't find something free and legal...but once again, I don't believe your fandom is rated by the amount of money you spend on something. I consider the amount of enjoyment somebody gets out of watching/discussing anime to be the only valid measure of their fandom....


I don't measure it purely by money because then some ppl have advantages (I know 2 different guys who have figure shops) But it's how much you support the industry. Not even spending a penny and saying they love anime as much as me? I find it very offensive.
1838 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

FkYouBish wrote:

"I watch anime & read manga so I'm an otaku"
Please study the terms

To be considered an otaku, you have to do way more than just keeping up with couple animes and mangas. Your world has to revolve around this subculture (anime, manga, light novel, visual novel, etc.) It has to be #1 priority. It has to be the reason you live. You have to be willing to pour all your money into this. You have to be willing to skip meals and have barely enough clothes to wear, to buy more otaku items.

Plus, the term otaku is suppose to be a bad word. It was a word used to insult people who watch anime and read manga/light novel all day, stuck in their room. お宅(O Taku) means house. The word "Kimo Ota" is used nowadays. It means "disgusting otaku". So it's not even a good thing to call yourself an otaku unless you admit that you love 2D more than reality. It basically means you have given up on reality. Like how I love 2D girls more than reality girls even though I've been pretty successful with them before at certain points.

They say the only difference between Otaku and Hikikomori is that otakus are friends with other otakus while hikikomoris are completely alone.


"Anime A is better than anime B because it's more popular."
Apparently, they only watch mainstream
Goes further into: "Attack on Titan is a must watch because everyone else watches it. Don't watch that other stuff. AoT is where it's at!"
Fanboy/Fangirl. The 2nd sentence pisses me off. Telling people not to watch something.


"Just because I get my stuff illegally (anime, manga, games, etc.) doesn't mean I love them less."
Um.. yes, it does mean you love it less. I don't buy them because I'm filthy rich or anything. I'm still in college so I'm kind of broke. I spend less money on food, clothes, and accessories so I can spend more money on anime goods. People these days don't give a single fuck about the copyrights. The Blu-rays are expensive for a REASON. The production costs are really high so if they don't sell enough, they are losing money. Especially eroge (Hentai visual novel). The eroge industry is not that big and takes 10 people around 6 months to make one. Depends on the game, but usually, 3000 is where they start making profit. I feel so sorry to torrent eroge now. Because of ignorant people, eroges are now over $100 when they first come out. (But personally for me, they are worth it with limited edition stuff) Basically, when you buy something, you are also paying for the [it's so hard not to use a curse word]'s who torrent it for free. Blu-rays cost $60+ for 2 episodes of anime in Japan. In USA, I would understand about the manga part, since the official release as books are so slow and books are so damn expensive here! 2.5~3 times more expensive than Japan or Korea. It's the same price as first press limited edition, which comes with really cool stuff. I order most of my mangas from Korea since I know the language. But guys, at least collect your favorite series or something. It won't hurt you that much. Collect your favorite series and show them off to your friends when they come over.


Make comments & Post the ones you hate too, that way, there's a point to this thread


Someone's mad~

I have never paid for anime goods or stuff like that and I still enjoy the hell out of it and I have no idea why people like calling themselves Otakus it's kind of dumb to be honest
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.