First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Logics I hate
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

FkYouBish wrote:

"I watch anime & read manga so I'm an otaku"
Please study the terms

To be considered an otaku, you have to do way more than just keeping up with couple animes and mangas. Your world has to revolve around this subculture (anime, manga, light novel, visual novel, etc.) It has to be #1 priority. It has to be the reason you live. You have to be willing to pour all your money into this. You have to be willing to skip meals and have barely enough clothes to wear, to buy more otaku items.

Plus, the term otaku is suppose to be a bad word. It was a word used to insult people who watch anime and read manga/light novel all day, stuck in their room. お宅(O Taku) means house. The word "Kimo Ota" is used nowadays. It means "disgusting otaku". So it's not even a good thing to call yourself an otaku unless you admit that you love 2D more than reality. It basically means you have given up on reality. Like how I love 2D girls more than reality girls even though I've been pretty successful with them before at certain points.

They say the only difference between Otaku and Hikikomori is that otakus are friends with other otakus while hikikomoris are completely alone.


Otaku is a loanword, its English meaning does not have to (and in fact, does not) match its Japanese meaning. The Japanese meaning of the word is more or less as you say, a person completely consumed by their hobbies to the point that their ability to function socially is impaired. In the English language, however, the term takes on a different meaning: an identifier for members of anime/manga fan communities.

While it's true that a person's level of interest in anime/manga has to be more than casual in order to qualify for the term, it is a stretch to argue that only those who are obsessed therewith qualify.



"Anime A is better than anime B because it's more popular."


Yes, that's actually an example of a formal fallacy called argumentum ad populum. It's an argument which cannot stand on its own. With that in mind, do remember that "better" is (in terms of things such as entertainment value) entirely subjective. There's no correct answer to the question "Which anime is more entertaining, A or B?", and that's usually what people mean when they say that one or the other is "better".



"Just because I get my stuff illegally (anime, manga, games, etc.) doesn't mean I love them less."
Um.. yes, it does mean you love it less. I don't buy them because I'm filthy rich or anything. I'm still in college so I'm kind of broke. I spend less money on food, clothes, and accessories so I can spend more money on anime goods. People these days don't give a single fuck about the copyrights. The Blu-rays are expensive for a REASON. The production costs are really high so if they don't sell enough, they are losing money. Especially eroge (Hentai visual novel). The eroge industry is not that big and takes 10 people around 6 months to make one. Depends on the game, but usually, 3000 is where they start making profit. I feel so sorry to torrent eroge now. Because of ignorant people, eroges are now over $100 when they first come out. (But personally for me, they are worth it with limited edition stuff) Basically, when you buy something, you are also paying for the [it's so hard not to use a curse word]'s who torrent it for free. Blu-rays cost $60+ for 2 episodes of anime in Japan. In USA, I would understand about the manga part, since the official release as books are so slow and books are so damn expensive here! 2.5~3 times more expensive than Japan or Korea. It's the same price as first press limited edition, which comes with really cool stuff. I order most of my mangas from Korea since I know the language. But guys, at least collect your favorite series or something. It won't hurt you that much. Collect your favorite series and show them off to your friends when they come over.


There are weaknesses in the assumption that a pirated copy of a good is equivalent to a lost hypothetical sale, and there is plenty of room for discussion on the most ethical manner for distributing non-scarce goods like information or entertainment.

10205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The MOOOON
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14
I get my anime/manga legally and illegally. I actually didn't know free streaming sites were illegal till a week ago but what crunchyroll doesn't have i'll find it somewhere else. I am spending tons on my favorite anime though and if their is a anime I did enjoy then I will go buy it. I just don't want to spend tons of money on anime/manga I might not like since i'm so picky.
5654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

hinhata wrote:

I get my anime/manga legally and illegally. I actually didn't know free streaming sites were illegal till a week ago but what crunchyroll doesn't have i'll find it somewhere else. I am spending tons on my favorite anime though and if their is a anime I did enjoy then I will go buy it. I just don't want to spend tons of money on anime/manga I might not like since i'm so picky.


Same here, I only buy the anime that I like... I've never been the type to buy random anime, CDs, video games etc... Just for the sake of collecting.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

endallchaos wrote:


hinhata wrote:

I get my anime/manga legally and illegally. I actually didn't know free streaming sites were illegal till a week ago but what crunchyroll doesn't have i'll find it somewhere else. I am spending tons on my favorite anime though and if their is a anime I did enjoy then I will go buy it. I just don't want to spend tons of money on anime/manga I might not like since i'm so picky.


Same here, I only buy the anime that I like... I've never been the type to buy random anime, CDs, video games etc... Just for the sake of collecting.


Why not pay CR though?
104073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

Sacae89 wrote:

Why not pay CR though?


people like to collect the box collection for anime. You also have to remember that any anime's licence can be terminated at any time. You are basically renting server space; however, you do not have control of the content.

Although cr does get most anime simulcasted, still.
5654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14



Why not pay CR though?


I just don't feel like it worth it... To me, at least. I only watch anime in Crunchyroll and ad's have never bothered me... I'll get the free trial, someday, just to try it out.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

AnimeKami wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:

Why not pay CR though?


people like to collect the box collection for anime. You also have to remember that any anime's licence can be terminated at any time. You are basically renting server space; however, you do not have control of the content.

Although cr does get most anime simulcasted, still.


I'm not saying not to collect boxes lol. I just like paying CR for HD videos that jsut aired with no ads.



endallchaos wrote:




Why not pay CR though?


I just don't feel like it worth it... To me, at least. I only watch anime in Crunchyroll and ad's have never bothered me... I'll get the free trial, someday, just to try it out.



Ah okay. Ads drive me nuts, so watching good video without ads is worth it to me. lol Just my thing though,
5654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

endallchaos wrote:




Why not pay CR though?


I just don't feel like it worth it... To me, at least. I only watch anime in Crunchyroll and ad's have never bothered me... I'll get the free trial, someday, just to try it out.




Ah okay. Ads drive me nuts, so watching good video without ads is worth it to me. lol Just my thing though,


lol Yea, I don't blame you. Most people despise them.
Posted 5/15/14
It helps to be casual.
104073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/15/14

Sacae89 wrote:
I'm not saying not to collect boxes lol. I just like paying CR for HD videos that jsut aired with no ads.


If you have a 37" tv whose maximum supported resolution through dvi is 1024 x 768 ratio playing 480p standard definition really does not matter. You trick your eyes into believe that the resolution is better than what it is on a larger screen that way.

I have a setup like that. Paying for hd content is fine without ads is fine. In my case I can run the videos in "hd" quality with ads (although I do not have ads).

I usually have a few videos on at work to just feed the site.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/15/14

AnimeKami wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:
I'm not saying not to collect boxes lol. I just like paying CR for HD videos that jsut aired with no ads.


If you have a 37" tv whose maximum supported resolution through dvi is 1024 x 768 ratio playing 480p standard definition really does not matter. You trick your eyes into believe that the resolution is better than what it is on a larger screen that way.

I have a setup like that. Paying for hd content is fine without ads is fine. In my case I can run the videos in "hd" quality with ads (although I do not have ads).

I usually have a few videos on at work to just feed the site.


I dont have a good tv like that. lol But yea I like paying for no ads. And HD videos is a nice plus. CR does a nice job and have lots I want to watch.
104073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/15/14 , edited 5/15/14

Sacae89 wrote:

I dont have a good tv like that. lol But yea I like paying for no ads. And HD videos is a nice plus. CR does a nice job and have lots I want to watch.


Support the community.

Also... CR HD... what a sham.

edit: before anyone is butt hurt this was from 2008.

edit 2: cr used to host a wide range of anime stuff.


314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Nowhere Islands
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
So what if you live somewhere where you can't even watch the shows you want because of location? In fact if it wasn't for these illegal streams out there, I'm pretty sure there'd be less people watching anime. Also I don't know if the OP noticed it but animation studios, mangaka's, and other people selling figurines etc.) are getting most of their money of sales in their own country. Anything outside of Japan is just a plus.

Not to say that they don't appreciate the fact that their creations are bought outside of their own country. Anime and manga existed and stood on it's own legs long before we began spending money watching them so theoretically, If we were to just stop spending money and try to obtain everything illegally then It's not like studios would start shutting down one by one. That would only happen if people in japan did it like that. So don't act as if you're the reason certain anime/manga exist and stop condemning others if they don't want spend money on anime/manga but still love it regardless.

And why the hate for mainstream anime again? They're the reason newcomers begin watching anime and continue to search for lesser known anime. If it weren't those then I'm pretty sure a lot of us wouldn't be on this site to begin with.
98384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/16/14

AnimeKami wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:

I dont have a good tv like that. lol But yea I like paying for no ads. And HD videos is a nice plus. CR does a nice job and have lots I want to watch.


Support the community.

Also... CR HD... what a sham.

edit: before anyone is butt hurt this was from 2008.

edit 2: cr used to host a wide range of anime stuff.





It looks good in the new episode I just watched. BTW NGNL <3 has all my love this season.

iono maybe I'm an idiot, but I dont mind paying CR.
104073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/16/14

Sacae89 wrote:

It looks good in the new episode I just watched. BTW NGNL <3 has all my love this season.

iono maybe I'm an idiot, but I dont mind paying CR.


When CR was hailing from the Dark Side. They uploaded the videos in whichever file format they accepted. Of course regulation and quality control was not in place.

They advertise HD, but looking at that, it was not HD.

I like to poke fun of the site because I still have a lot of screenshots of what we used to be able to do.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.