First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Logics I hate
98396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/16/14

AnimeKami wrote:


Sacae89 wrote:

It looks good in the new episode I just watched. BTW NGNL <3 has all my love this season.

iono maybe I'm an idiot, but I dont mind paying CR.


When CR was hailing from the Dark Side. They uploaded the videos in whichever file format they accepted. Of course regulation and quality control was not in place.

They advertise HD, but looking at that, it was not HD.

I like to poke fun of the site because I still have a lot of screenshots of what we used to be able to do.


:P that was in the old days. Now its decent.
104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/16/14 , edited 5/16/14

Sacae89 wrote:
:P that was in the old days. Now its decent.


decent place to watch anime, maybe... certainly not a decent forum.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
#1- Agree.
#2- Agree.
#3- Half Agree,

There are many people that I believe deserve to be called Otaku than most people here on Crunchy despite only using illegal means of streaming, so don't know how that makes them love it less.
98396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
I jsut like CR because it looks better than fansites, most the time, and I dont have to torrent for good videos.
2942 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The IshVille
Offline
Posted 5/16/14 , edited 5/16/14
I generally hate it when people try to apply rules to anything when it comes to entertainment. I call them "Guard Dog" fans. Oh, you're not a fan, because you don't do this or think that. Or, "If you're an anime fan, then you should know.", Or, "Oh, you only started watching anime because this got popular, etc..."

I hate that more than anything. I'm a guy who would be considered a veteran in anime. Been watching it for 25 years, ever since I was 7 and seen over 1,000 titles. The last thing I think I would have the right to do, or be arrogant enough to do, is determine who gets to be a true fan, or who belongs. I hate guard dog logic. Who died and made you the king of the fanbase? Shut up.
98396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
No one has the right to judge who is and is not a fan. I use to illegal stream and torrent, just cause I find CR easier now doesn't mean Im more of a fan than I was.

17434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 5/16/14

FkYouBish wrote:

"I watch anime & read manga so I'm an otaku"
Please study the terms

I am not big on people gravitating towards a couple Japanese terms then defining themselves with those terms...or worse complaining about how others define themselves with those terms, especially the term otaku, as though it's simultaneously a badge of honor and derogatory term. From personal experience, I would gather that most Japanese people could give a rip either way if someone is an "otaku." Life in Japan is not like an episode of [email protected]

Personally, I am comfortable as "my pace" as my mom's best friend identified me as in the late '90s during my visit to Kobe after high school.


"Anime A is better than anime B because it's more popular."
Apparently, they only watch mainstream
Goes further into: "Attack on Titan is a must watch because everyone else watches it. Don't watch that other stuff. AoT is where it's at!"
Fanboy/Fangirl. The 2nd sentence pisses me off. Telling people not to watch something.

People have opinions and get butthurt by other opinions. That happens. Maybe the OP is more prone to being butthurt than most.


"Just because I get my stuff illegally (anime, manga, games, etc.) doesn't mean I love them less."
Um.. yes, it does mean you love it less. I don't buy them because I'm filthy rich or anything. I'm still in college so I'm kind of broke. I spend less money on food, clothes, and accessories so I can spend more money on anime goods. People these days don't give a single fuck about the copyrights. The Blu-rays are expensive for a REASON. The production costs are really high so if they don't sell enough, they are losing money. Especially eroge (Hentai visual novel). The eroge industry is not that big and takes 10 people around 6 months to make one. Depends on the game, but usually, 3000 is where they start making profit. I feel so sorry to torrent eroge now. Because of ignorant people, eroges are now over $100 when they first come out. (But personally for me, they are worth it with limited edition stuff) Basically, when you buy something, you are also paying for the [it's so hard not to use a curse word]'s who torrent it for free. Blu-rays cost $60+ for 2 episodes of anime in Japan. In USA, I would understand about the manga part, since the official release as books are so slow and books are so damn expensive here! 2.5~3 times more expensive than Japan or Korea. It's the same price as first press limited edition, which comes with really cool stuff. I order most of my mangas from Korea since I know the language. But guys, at least collect your favorite series or something. It won't hurt you that much. Collect your favorite series and show them off to your friends when they come over.

Fantastic, yet flawed rant. HBO would disagree with you about the effects of piracy, as piracy actually has boosted their sales. Also, price points are jacked up more than a bit with manga distributions, and you are providing the profit margin to the distributor, not the owner of the intellectual property. That's why I buy and read my manga in Japanese, because it's cheaper.



42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 5/16/14
To be honest, I only use CR for the forums because I don't even watch anime here. I use illegal streams because I don't like waiting for a series to air. CR is slow to me.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
I hate when people say "Hello." and don't follow up with a conversation.
Bunch of attention seeking empty cups.
11417 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
I could rant about some of the stuff you said but I won't. Instead I'll say I hate when people are called weeaboo's the second they show an interest in anything anime related. For example, having an anime avatar on Youtube doesn't mean you're obsessed with everything from Japan. It's a word a lot of people who hate anime throw around but they use it very incorrectly.
7068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
who cares? Otaku was meant an insult in Japan, a label to undesirable people that got too much into ANYTHING (be it anime or math or whatever) the closest translation is "NERD" in an offensive way, Anime enthusiasts are now called "Akiba-Kei" because of the stigma of being called Otaku, ever seen Otakon in Metal Gear?, yeah, he is a Mecha-Otaku or "a NERD for giant robots"

the closest term for what people that consider themselves Otaku outside of Japan is called a weeaboo (yes, the stigma of the word carries the same weight over here)

I hated attack on titan, but well, that´s just me.

I buy stuff whenever I can afford it

I have no idea of what this topic is trying to accomplish, but I wanted to comment... weird huh?



Le_Dom 
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Online
Posted 5/16/14
Point 1:

People can call themselves whatever they want, but it's a bit saddening when someone calls themselves ''Otaku'' like it's a badge you wear with honor without realizing that doing so in Japan might be equivalent to social suicide.

However, many would argue that the definition of the term is different in the West, and means nothing more than someone who likes Anime/Manga/Japanese video games. Either one or all of them.

Point 2:

Well yeah, that's a pretty dumb argument to make and hold no logical sense. Not much to say about it really.

Point 3:

A few months ago, I've stopped relying on illegal streaming websites and figured that I get enough material out Crunchyroll and Funimation alone. So yeah, I don't pirate, that's the way I do things.

I don't think someone's worth as an anime fan should be calculated by the amount of money they spend on their hobby, but I do know guys who act like they're passionate about it, yet torrent everything they watch, and I mean EVERYTHING and that baffles me a little.

You don't have to pay 60$ for the DVD but the least you can do is to consider finding it on a legal streaming website, you know, try showing a little support.

But that's the Internet; people are taught that if they want something, they're entitled to get it for free. If there's one thing that bugs me, it's when people try using arguments to defend torrenting (read, defend their right to steal) and think ''Oh anime is expensive and I have no money'' is a decisive argument that ends the debate. Sorry if that isn't a very helpful counter-argument, but anime is a hobby, a luxury. Watching it for free isn't some kind of birth right and you'd be hard pressed to find a hobby that costs you nothing at all.

If you think that paying 7$ a month or watching ads is too much to ask, then yes, MAYBE you're not as passionate about anime as you claim to be.
33128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 5/16/14
It's unhealthy to obsess over and dedicate yourself to one thing whatever it is. Being proud of that is baffling.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 5/16/14

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:

I could rant about some of the stuff you said but I won't. Instead I'll say I hate when people are called weeaboo's the second they show an interest in anything anime related. For example, having an anime avatar on Youtube doesn't mean you're obsessed with everything from Japan. It's a word a lot of people who hate anime throw around but they use it very incorrectly.


This "logic" is also annoying "it's okay to be an Otaku but if you're a weeaboo then that's a big NO". The anime fandom has problems.
13141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 5/16/14

FkYouBish wrote:


sundin13 wrote:



I don't torrent but I do stream if I can't find something free and legal...but once again, I don't believe your fandom is rated by the amount of money you spend on something. I consider the amount of enjoyment somebody gets out of watching/discussing anime to be the only valid measure of their fandom....


I don't measure it purely by money because then some ppl have advantages (I know 2 different guys who have figure shops) But it's how much you support the industry. Not even spending a penny and saying they love anime as much as me? I find it very offensive.


Sounds like you and I have a different definition of "fan". I certainly see where you are coming from but the definition of fan that I am going by is: "a person who receives enjoyment from something". This doesn't have any qualifiers about paid support. Perhaps people who support the anime industry with money are better fans, but not necessarily bigger fans...

Once again, I understand your point and this seems to be a bit of an argument about our definitions of the word "fan" so theres not really any point in continuing this discussion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.