First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Anime Scene in other countries
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/18/14
So, I decided to make a separate thread for this.

I live in US but I'll talk about the scene in South Korea since I'm from there and I talk to Korean otakus on my blog.

Let's start with the bright side.

So since Korea is a small country, it's easy to get to places. Even if you don't have a car. Public transportations run throughout everywhere and they are pretty cheap. They have several good places for figures and other anime stuff.

The books (Japanese manga & light novels) come out the fastest after Japan. Usually, only 1 or 2 volumes behind Japan. And the price is cheap. Only like $5 for manga and $7.50 for light novels. And like Japan, they have "First Press Limited Editions" which is more expensive than the regular edition (but they are about the price of a normal manga in US -_-. I know. In here, we pay more for less.) and they come with really cool stuff such as posters, bath towels, puzzles, mini figures, etc. Bookstores have lots of mangas and light novels in stock so you don't have to go around several different bookstores like you do here. This is why I order most of my books from Korea through international shipping.

Now it's gonna get darker...

They don't have big anime conventions like we do here. Instead, they have something called "Comic World" in Seoul and Busan. They mostly sell posters, illustrations, and other stuff with character drawings on it. And people cosplay there. But the bad thing is, Koreans seriously hate otakus. That's why they don't let you in while wearing your cosplay. You have to sign in and get changed inside the event area. And they charge extra for that because they decided to take advantage of that. The reason they started this is because in public transportation such as subway, which whole bunch of people actually ride unlike the ghetto ones here, cosplayers have been harassed by anti-Japan people and anti-otaku people. Only good thing is, there's one every month and it's not that expensive to go there. They actually have cooler t-shirts than the ones in our anime cons. In anime cons here(US), most of the t-shirts they have are from popular series such as SAO, AoT, KlK, etc. In Korea, they like to have varieties so there's like one for each series. Not only t-shirts but also things like clocks, mug cups, backpacks, phone cases, etc. Instead of the vendors at anime cons here, selling whatever they have, Seoul(or Busan) Comic World have booths separated by the series their goods are from. So it's easy to find what you are looking for if you have certain series in mind.

Otakus getting bullied is a serious problem. In Korean school, announcing you are an otaku is like social suicide. Unless you have otaku friends in your class. Korean schools work very similar to Japanese schools. You have uniforms for middle and high school and have classes like 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-2, etc. And they have "night self-study times" and you are free to read books. And just because you are reading light novels, they will assume you do all these horrible things. It's also because Koreans tend to hate Japan. They assume you carry figures in your backpack and treat it like your girlfriend, calling it "(Character name)-chan", speaking Japanese to the figure. That's why it's only the hardcore otakus who have the guts collect all the figures in Korea. Only thing ordinary otakus actually can buy, are books. The wall is very high to come out of the "closet otaku". They also have the stereotype that all otakus are fat, wear glasses, and have acne. EDIT: a lot of people watch stuff like Attack on Titan, Naruto, One Piece, etc., and talk so much shit about people who watch other animes. Their logics: "Attack on Titan is what everyone watches so it's a masterpiece. Only otakus have time to watch all the other stuff cuz they have no life." Collection wise, if you have gunpla models (gundam), they won't say much stuff. But if you have bishoujo figures, they'll be like "Eww fucktaku! (it's 씹덕, which I translate to "fucktaku") 2D loving hentai freak!"

Drawing or translating an H doujinshi in Korea gets you locked up for 5 years for the same offense of "Creating child pornography" if the character is a minor (19 and under in Korean age. Korean age: you are 1 when you are born. Your age goes up every year on Jan 1st regardless of your birthday so if you are born in 1994, you are 21 as of 2014.) They only lock you up for 3 years if you actually rape a child. (say you were drunk, and they even reduce that.) That's the fucked up part about Korea. They have this feminist government branch everyone's wanting to get rid of but it just doesn't work. And they make all the weird laws, thinking all men are criminals. That stupid law came in 2012. In 2011, number of sexual offenders having to do with children, were around 100. In 2012, it changed to 2224 cases. And some of those people actually went to 4 of Korea's top universities.

Otakus are more hardcore in Korea because they can only hang out with other otakus. People look at otakus as social failures. In here though, they don't seem to care nearly as much. But they do the craziest stuff since they are only friends with other otakus. Like sleep overs with dakimakuras (body pillows) and stuff like that.

What's the scene like in a country you are from? Or one that you know of?
2562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Salt Lake City, Utah
Offline
Posted 5/17/14
This isn't as uncommon as many people think, it's not just Korea. In japan it's the same deal, but slightly less harsh even though anime originated there. For japanese people they generally just look down on Otaku's and aren't very accepting because they catergorize it with being childish, etc. The difference between these countries and America is that America has gone through a sort of nerdvolution where it's being more common to be a nerd, or Otaku. So for people living in the states it's not as harsh because there's a lot of people who are nerds and otakus. But in countries like in Korea and Japan there hasn't been this Nerdvolution so the public still looks down on them.
Posted 5/17/14
And here I thought this was going to be about the racism in South Korea. Never mind. And yes, some of the laws there are disgusting. Three years for the rape of a child? Fuck that.

Anyway, I hate Otakus too. As in, those people who think Japan can do no wrong, worship the culture like there is no tomorrow, cannot function outside of their anime world and are just embarrassments to society.

Seriously, you can like and love something but don't take it so far, and don't let you love of something blur the truth.

22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/17/14 , edited 5/17/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

And here I thought this was going to be about the racism in South Korea. Never mind. And yes, some of the laws there are disgusting. Three years for the rape of a child? Fuck that.

Anyway, I hate Otakus too. As in, those people who think Japan can do no wrong, worship the culture like there is no tomorrow, cannot function outside of their anime world and are just embarrassments to society.

Seriously, you can like and love something but don't take it so far, and don't let you love of something blur the truth.



3 years for actually raping a child
5 years for translating a doujinshi

The laws are edited by feminists. What do you expect? They don't know men at all.
They think that after we watch hentai anime, we wanna go out and look for children to rape. It's actually the opposite. Pornography for men, is used to GET RID OF the sexual urge.
2562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Salt Lake City, Utah
Offline
Posted 5/17/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

And here I thought this was going to be about the racism in South Korea. Never mind. And yes, some of the laws there are disgusting. Three years for the rape of a child? Fuck that.

Anyway, I hate Otakus too. As in, those people who think Japan can do no wrong, worship the culture like there is no tomorrow, cannot function outside of their anime world and are just embarrassments to society.

Seriously, you can like and love something but don't take it so far, and don't let you love of something blur the truth.



I think it varies with the actual type of Otaku. To me Otaku's are divided by class and have different personalities depending on the one your from. But I do think your right about the Otaku's that worship the culture to no end and can't function outside of anime.
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/17/14

TheChowster wrote:

This isn't as uncommon as many people think, it's not just Korea. In japan it's the same deal, but slightly less harsh even though anime originated there. For japanese people they generally just look down on Otaku's and aren't very accepting because they catergorize it with being childish, etc. The difference between these countries and America is that America has gone through a sort of nerdvolution where it's being more common to be a nerd, or Otaku. So for people living in the states it's not as harsh because there's a lot of people who are nerds and otakus. But in countries like in Korea and Japan there hasn't been this Nerdvolution so the public still looks down on them.


Being childish? It's rather, being perverted. Like lolicons and stuff. (Which I actually am...) they think it's completely 100% fine to watch popular animes like Naruto, One Piece, AoT, etc. but know anything about non-mainstream anime, they'll be like "KIMO OTA!"
25145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 5/17/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

And here I thought this was going to be about the racism in South Korea. Never mind. And yes, some of the laws there are disgusting. Three years for the rape of a child? Fuck that.

Anyway, I hate Otakus too. As in, those people who think Japan can do no wrong, worship the culture like there is no tomorrow, cannot function outside of their anime world and are just embarrassments to society.

Seriously, you can like and love something but don't take it so far, and don't let you love of something blur the truth.



I like the way you think!
104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 5/17/14
Could the Japanese rule of Korea during ww2 have had any affect now? I would assume so.
Posted 5/18/14
Australia.

It's hard to find unpopular manga/anime titles here.

I have to import "Cuticle Detective Inaba Complete Collection" from the USA... and their Blu ray region is different to Australia -_-... like all my other anime collection
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 5/18/14 , edited 5/18/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

Australia.

It's hard to find unpopular manga/anime titles here.

I have to import "Cuticle Detective Inaba Complete Collection" from the USA... and their Blu ray region is different to Australia -_-... like all my other anime collection


That's what you get for living in a backwater country.
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 5/18/14 , edited 5/18/14

TheChowster wrote:


SoldierSangria wrote:

And here I thought this was going to be about the racism in South Korea. Never mind. And yes, some of the laws there are disgusting. Three years for the rape of a child? Fuck that.

Anyway, I hate Otakus too. As in, those people who think Japan can do no wrong, worship the culture like there is no tomorrow, cannot function outside of their anime world and are just embarrassments to society.

Seriously, you can like and love something but don't take it so far, and don't let you love of something blur the truth.



But I do think your right about the Otaku's that worship the culture to no end and can't function outside of anime.


Mhm, then just like I thought , I am worthless. And have no problem with it.
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
Watching anime is kinda looked down upon here in Norway as well. If you watch it, you are looked at as the lame kid. Still there isnt that much harassing for it.

Ps. This guy posting right above me seems to be everywhere. CR should ban him.
22463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 5/18/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

Australia.

It's hard to find unpopular manga/anime titles here.

I have to import "Cuticle Detective Inaba Complete Collection" from the USA... and their Blu ray region is different to Australia -_-... like all my other anime collection


Same with mangas in US. Thats why I get them from Korea
20388 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
In Northern Ireland it's basically impossible to get any anime/manga related thing. There's only one shop I know of that has a small manga section and it's mostly just Naruto, One Piece and a few shoujos. I have to use Amazon to buy anything. Also, so far I've yet to meet anyone who's into anime although that could be partly because I never mention it in case it kinda backfires and cripples my social life as I actually don't know what people think of anime since it's so uncommon. I really can't imagine there to be anymore than a few thousand who are into anime. The only anime that actually had some success was Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh YEARS ago but I'm pretty sure their popularity died out by now. And the thing is everyone viewed them as being cartoons not anime.
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
Well from what I understand Anime/Manga is far from dead here in the states, but I will talk about my area in KC since I am more aware of that having lived here for all of my 22 years.

First on your point of calling yourself an Otaku, especially in school, short of being IN the fandom itself, no one would actually know what that word means and would probably just think you are saying something from another language or being an idiot. BUT nearly everyone knows the shows that were on Cartoon Network as a kid, Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, I think there were a few others but I am honestly forgetting right now.

If you ever said you liked and still watched those shows while you were in High School that was the way to put yourself on the fast track of being ignored by everyone. Even the people who would watch the shows would ignore you, because there was no way they would let it slip at school that they liked what was considered a kid show.


Of course that is where my knowledge stops pretty much until just about a year and a half ago now completely stops. I wasn't into Anime until like around Thanksgiving of 2012, I probably would have been if I was introduced to it sooner, but everything about how popular Manga, Anime, or what type of stores were around until this last year is completely foreign to me. So everything I say now is really in the long term of things, recent developments.


First there is Barnes and Noble: Surprisingly they have a fairly good stock of Manga, a year ago it wasn't all that much in the store, literally just 4 shelves (1 bookcase) that was taken up by just FMA, Naruto, and One Piece. Everything else was online, but they had quite a bit online. Now though they have an entire aisle taken up by Manga, they actually pushed away the DC and Marvel comics that were there to make room. My collection of Manga has steadily been growing thanks to Barnes and Noble, and they actually have given me free books before, or something, because apparently most people just read the Manga in the bookstore, put it back and leave, I actually BUY the Manga, so it was the managers way of thanking me I guess?

B&N also has "some" Anime in their movie section, but its fairly small, and spread out, and mostly big titles. Honestly only ever looked once, so I can't remember it really.

Second is the Anime specialty stores: There are about a half dozen stores I can think of that sell Anime related goods outside of Barnes and Noble, of those though most are comic book/card game type stores that just happen to have some popular manga titles like Naruto, etc etc, in there as well.

Only one I can think of is strictly Anime goods, they help run the local convention in March. It's a fairly small store, like seriously add together my bedroom and hallway leading to my bedroom, that is about the size of their store it seems. Though of course that is exaggerated it just feels like that.

They of course are a business so they can't go too big because the market is so niche here. They have a good selection of Manga in the store, quite a few Anime seasons and movies, though most seem to be quite older, and I am not sure if they are English Sub or Dub either. Sometimes they will have a couple of wallscrolls, apparel items like hats or shirts, I think occasionally they may have cosplay stuff for sell but that could just be the store owners for all I know, then they have small things like: cards, keychains, patches you can sew on clothes, stuff like that.

Even that store though I don't think sells figures, or if they do they are few and far between and probably bought up fairly quickly by the other fans in the area. Most stuff is just bought online now, the only reason Barnes and Noble and that specialty store even sell manga or anime in my opinion is for the people like me, who don't always like ordering online due to the chance of something happening during shipping and not being able to get a refund. Purchasing a physical item from a store usually gives you a bit of insurance of being able to return it if something was wrong with it.

If I were able to read Japanese, I would probably purchase my Manga (and definitely LN's which is a very small, practically non-existent thing here in KC) in Japanese because they are cheaper, and for the prices of like 1 English Manga, I could get 2 or more Japanese Manga it seems.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.