First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
All Hail Our YouTube Overlords. YouTube to Buy Twitch.tv for $1 Billion
22583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/14 , edited 5/18/14
Excerpt:


Google’s YouTube has reached a deal to buy Twitch, a popular videogame-streaming company, for more than $1 billion, according to sources familiar with the pact.

The deal, in an all-cash offer, is expected to be announced imminently, sources said. If completed the acquisition would be the most significant in the history of YouTube, which Google acquired in 2006 for $1.65 billion. The impending acquisition comes after longtime Google ad exec Susan Wojcicki was named CEO of YouTube earlier this year.

Reps for YouTube and Twitch declined to comment.

San Francisco-based Twitch lets users upload and watch free, live gameplay videos that can be streamed from Microsoft Xbox and PlayStation 4 consoles. The company claims to have more than 45 million monthly users, with more than 1 million members who upload videos each month. It also has deals to distribute shows from partners including CBS Interactive’s GameSpot, Joystiq and Destructoid.


Link: http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/youtube-to-acquire-videogame-streaming-service-twitch-for-1-billion-sources-1201185204/

With how large Twitch has grown, I'm not surprised. If this goes through there's going to truly be no one that can compete with Google in the way of streaming media.

And for those wondering why it's "YouTube Buys" and not "Google Buys" it's because YouTube is a subsidy of Google and its own LLC.
DRHILL 
25456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
We have Twitch.TV blocked here at work
72911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
Might as well go ahead and rename Planet Earth, "GOOGLE"...
3051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Galaxy
Offline
Posted 5/18/14

x-Cellar_Door-x wrote:

Might as well go ahead and rename Planet Earth, "GOOGLE"...

*round of applause*
22095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
NOOOOO!!! This is actually terrible. Twitch is where a lot of gaming youtubers went after the whole youtube fiasco a few months back. Godammit Google get out of our faces. We like your search engine but we were never ready to go further in our relationship, now you're at our door every day changing youtube and bringing google plus to our door everyday to impress us, but we never wanted a second date!!
22583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/14

x-Cellar_Door-x wrote:

Might as well go ahead and rename Planet Earth, "GOOGLE"...


They already have the application, "Google Earth". Maybe it was a pre-emptive name for their eventual goal of ruling the world? :P

72911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 5/18/14

Striketh wrote:


x-Cellar_Door-x wrote:

Might as well go ahead and rename Planet Earth, "GOOGLE"...


They already have the application, "Google Earth". Maybe it was a pre-emptive name for their eventual goal of ruling the world? :P



Bahahaha, touche My Friend...Touche!
43460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Livingston, Louis...
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
I dunno if I like where this is headed...

Google bought Youtube a long time ago and look what it's done to the site. It did a little good at first and now YouTube is just a shell of it's former glory.

I frequent Twitch for it's amazing speed-running community and I'm just worried about how Google's going to find a way to destroy everything that's amazing about Twitch just like it did and is still doing to YouTube. Because right now Twitch is pretty much the in the same boat as YouTube, only it's a streaming service as opposed to a video playing one like YouTube. And then Google has this fuck-all attitude about it's business. You don't like it? Too bad, who you gonna turn to?

Proceed with the nipple flaps and gentle caressing.

And being bought by YouTube doesn't mean shit to me. YouTube was bought by Google and they've gone to Hell. What makes you think they're gonna do any good with Twitch? Youtube is Google and Twitch is YouTube. I hope they prove me wrong though, I genuinely do.
10205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The MOOOON
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
11419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 5/18/14 , edited 5/18/14
Bollocks. The ONE backup for if Youtube pulls too much shit is now being taken over by Youtube. It's like a disease. I wouldn't mind but their regulations on copyright are so royally fucked. Yeah, fuck you Google, we have you to thank for that.
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/18/14

are u implying that pinky & the brain are behind all this
21016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32
Offline
Posted 5/18/14

Zachman wrote:

I dunno if I like where this is headed...

Google bought Youtube a long time ago and look what it's done to the site. It did a little good at first and now YouTube is just a shell of it's former glory.

I frequent Twitch for it's amazing speed-running community and I'm just worried about how Google's going to find a way to destroy everything that's amazing about Twitch just like it did and is still doing to YouTube. Because right now Twitch is pretty much the in the same boat as YouTube, only it's a streaming service as opposed to a video playing one like YouTube. And then Google has this fuck-all attitude about it's business. You don't like it? Too bad, who you gonna turn to?

Proceed with the nipple flaps and gentle caressing.

And being bought by YouTube doesn't mean shit to me. YouTube was bought by Google and they've gone to Hell. What makes you think they're gonna do any good with Twitch? Youtube is Google and Twitch is YouTube. I hope they prove me wrong though, I genuinely do.


YouTube is much better then before.
43460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Livingston, Louis...
Offline
Posted 5/18/14 , edited 5/18/14

Thfelese wrote:


Zachman wrote:

I dunno if I like where this is headed...

Google bought Youtube a long time ago and look what it's done to the site. It did a little good at first and now YouTube is just a shell of it's former glory.

I frequent Twitch for it's amazing speed-running community and I'm just worried about how Google's going to find a way to destroy everything that's amazing about Twitch just like it did and is still doing to YouTube. Because right now Twitch is pretty much the in the same boat as YouTube, only it's a streaming service as opposed to a video playing one like YouTube. And then Google has this fuck-all attitude about it's business. You don't like it? Too bad, who you gonna turn to?

Proceed with the nipple flaps and gentle caressing.

And being bought by YouTube doesn't mean shit to me. YouTube was bought by Google and they've gone to Hell. What makes you think they're gonna do any good with Twitch? Youtube is Google and Twitch is YouTube. I hope they prove me wrong though, I genuinely do.


YouTube is much better then before.


In what alternate universe do you live in?

I won't deny YouTube has some better things than it used to, but it is nowhere near it's former glory. As a site it sucks ass. As a company I know not, but I would assume it would follow Google and fuck up Twitch as much as possible. Because following Google makes money.

26428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / NJ, USA
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
This can potentially be a good or bad thing. Good because this gives partnered streamers more opportunities in cashing in. Bad because Youtube prohibits the monetization of gameplay footage.
22583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 5/18/14
It all comes down to perspective. A lot of people are still annoyed over Google+ being forced upon them. Others, especially on the gaming side of things, got burned hardcore by the copyright and content ID policies. Most of the issues with YouTube have caused problems for content creators, which is why many of them have fled to Twitch. For those that make or made a living on YouTube there's no other realistic place right now where they can make a stable income off their content.

The average user that just browses YouTube and watches cat videos is mostly unaffected by any of this aside from perhaps some of their favorite videos or YouTubers vanishing.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.