First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Release timeframes
27309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 5/23/14

jmeyer1980 wrote:
Improvement is not too much to ask. It DOES seem to be too much to ask for people to allow me to have and state my suggestions without having to defend them.


Alright, let me suggest an augmentation to your suggestion such that we are not asking for the impossible.

To be competitive with scanlation sites without doing the impossible of releasing before the designated release date, crunchyroll could offer a desirable manga-related service that is not offered elsewhere. For example, I don't believe any other sites (legal or otherwise) offer both the raw Japanese and English translation with the reader allowing you to switch between the two easily. This would be desirable for people like me trying to learn to read Japanese. Or another example, perhaps crunchyroll offers a service to forward fan letters to the authors of the manga for subscribed users.

Now I don't want to debate the details of these two example ideas. I just wanted to say that there are other creative ways for crunchyroll to be competitive without doing the impossible.
13215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/23/14

filiadragongurl wrote:


jmeyer1980 wrote:
Improvement is not too much to ask. It DOES seem to be too much to ask for people to allow me to have and state my suggestions without having to defend them.


Alright, let me suggest an augmentation to your suggestion such that we are not asking for the impossible.

To be competitive with scanlation sites without doing the impossible of releasing before the designated release date, crunchyroll could offer a desirable manga-related service that is not offered elsewhere. For example, I don't believe any other sites (legal or otherwise) offer both the raw Japanese and English translation with the reader allowing you to switch between the two easily. This would be desirable for people like me trying to learn to read Japanese. Or another example, perhaps crunchyroll offers a service to forward fan letters to the authors of the manga for subscribed users.

Now I don't want to debate the details of these two example ideas. I just wanted to say that there are other creative ways for crunchyroll to be competitive without doing the impossible.



Now that is constructive!

Thank you for joining the conversation.
62495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
50 / M / Champaign, IL
Offline
Posted 5/23/14

jmeyer1980 wrote:


Zensunni wrote:

You can't get faster than same day... That's just how it works. They cannot legally post the manga any faster than they do.


Seriously...

You keep implying that I want the impossible and I am telling you that I don't want the impossible, I want improvement!

You keep bringing up the word LEGAL when I have made it clear that I support the authors. I have been as polite as I possibly can, but, you are beginning to offend me, and I wish you would stop trying to teach me what I already know.

Improvement is not too much to ask. It DOES seem to be too much to ask for people to allow me to have and state my suggestions without having to defend them.


Sorry if you were offended, but you keep implying that CR, somehow, should be able to compete, in terms of speed of releases, with sites that are working illegally with either leaked raws from industry insiders or scans from subscribers who get the magazines ahead of the official publication date.

Sure, there are a lot of areas where improvement is needed. Personally, I would love to see more communication about upcoming chapters, since that information seems to come and go periodically. Maybe even a calendar of release dates like they used to have for anime, and probably still do, though i haven't looked for it recently. In addition, I'd love it if they could actually get the titles out when they say the will without technical glitches that make it hard for us to read them and I'd be overjoyed if the titles that are supposed to come out at a particular time were available on all platforms at those times. All of these are issues that have annoyed me over the weeks that CR has had this service active.

Extending the bookmark system that works quite well on the Android app so they are accessible on the browser app would be great too. It would make keeping track of where you are in a particular series much easier. (Though I've started using it to mark the pages I particularly like, such as the
)

However, other than NOT failing to meet the release times advertised, there isn't really anything they can do to put out the manga faster than they already do. That is why the responses you keep getting seem to imply that you are asking for the impossible. (BTW, I personally see nothing wrong with reading Fuuka when the scanalator puts it out, since I pay for it on the site that has it legally, I don't see a problem with taking a sneak peak. I have actually enjoyed comparing the translations, and I'll have to say that CR's translations compare favorably. sometimes they are much better, like the choice of the word "Jacket" over "Parka". Sure, they are pretty much synonyms, but one implies something you wear in the winter as opposed to something you might wear on a brisk summer evening...)
13215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 5/23/14

Zensunni wrote:

Sorry if you were offended, but you keep implying that CR, somehow, should be able to compete, in terms of speed of releases, with sites that are working illegally with either leaked raws from industry insiders or scans from subscribers who get the magazines ahead of the official publication date.


I tried to clear that up. Same day as bookshelf release would be acceptable to me. I just want them to try to be faster and more reliable, much like you've mentioned below:


Zensunni wrote:
Sure, there are a lot of areas where improvement is needed. Personally, I would love to see more communication about upcoming chapters, since that information seems to come and go periodically. Maybe even a calendar of release dates like they used to have for anime, and probably still do, though i haven't looked for it recently. In addition, I'd love it if they could actually get the titles out when they say the will without technical glitches that make it hard for us to read them and I'd be overjoyed if the titles that are supposed to come out at a particular time were available on all platforms at those times. All of these are issues that have annoyed me over the weeks that CR has had this service active.

Extending the bookmark system that works quite well on the Android app so they are accessible on the browser app would be great too. It would make keeping track of where you are in a particular series much easier. (Though I've started using it to mark the pages I particularly like, such as the
)

However, other than NOT failing to meet the release times advertised, there isn't really anything they can do to put out the manga faster than they already do. That is why the responses you keep getting seem to imply that you are asking for the impossible. (BTW, I personally see nothing wrong with reading Fuuka when the scanalator puts it out, since I pay for it on the site that has it legally, I don't see a problem with taking a sneak peak. I have actually enjoyed comparing the translations, and I'll have to say that CR's translations compare favorably. sometimes they are much better, like the choice of the word "Jacket" over "Parka". Sure, they are pretty much synonyms, but one implies something you wear in the winter as opposed to something you might wear on a brisk summer evening...)


I love everything you have said here and completely agree.

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.