First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Who was the best leader in all of history?
545 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / NYC
Offline
Posted 5/20/14
Throughout time we have had many noble lies and valiant leaders. Some have been the wise kings and queens and some have been the successful warriors that movies will depict throughout the hallowed halls of time. If you take all of history and every nation into account; then who are your top picks for being great leaders? What did they do and why did you pick them?
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 5/20/14
Nixon, because he was the most effective US president we've ever had.
545 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / NYC
Offline
Posted 5/20/14

Balzack wrote:

Nixon, because he was the most effective US president we've ever had.


Nixon opened China. He further established the operative power of the executive branch and the intelligence community. He certainly had a lot of good influences in US policy, but he also hindered the integrity of his office. How is he more effective than the presidents who ended wars, created fiscal booms, expanded the union, or pioneered social advancement?
72840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Online
Posted 5/20/14
As far as US leaders, I'll go with Teddy Roosevelt. I also really like Winston Churchill. Neither were perfect by any means, but You asked Me the question and I answered it.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 5/20/14
Well he ended the draft, formed the EPA, got us out of Vietnam, balanced the budget, made huge strides in desegregation in the South, and tried to get plans through to guarantee both income and healthcare for all citizens. So he kind of IS a president who did all those things
3191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Death Star
Offline
Posted 5/20/14
Best leader in History....I can't really say that I have a best but I can give at least two that are great, they may not be the greatest because of the things they've done but from a leadership point of view they were amazing leaders.

1) I think that one of greatest has to be Martin Luther. He was the climax of the Reformation which begun at least over a hundred years before him with William Tyndale (the man who translated a lot of the Latin Vulgate in (old)English). He stuck to what he believed to be true even at the Diet of Worms where he was put to trial for heresy but even though threatened with death he stood his ground and fought for the truth. What he did lead to a complete change in thinking in more then just the Christian church but also in many other areas people began searching for what was really true. I must admit--sadly, in his latter years he was anti-Semitic he believed that jews were evil because they crucified Christ. Proving that even great leaders are mere men

2) Adolf Hitler. Now I know this may dawn some thoughts of confusion but please hear me out (or read me out, whichever you prefer) Hitler was by all means a wretched piece of scum. What he did to countless amount of lives (6 million Jews and millions of handicapped, gypsies, blacks...and etc.) He experimented on many others and forced people to work until they died. In the view of leadership, Hitler was a amazing leader. Due to the Great War, Germany was left basically with money, leadership, and national pride. The League of Nations, forced Germany to pay for the war, also halted all military buildup. There were many parties in Germany at that time trying to gain control of the government. Hitler was a man trying to rise up to become a leader but was arrested in the 20's, this is where Hitlet wrote Mein Kamph. (in observance of time) Hitler rose to power with the Nazi party. He led men and women to believe what he believed, Hitler gave amazing speeches(the content was ill and sick but nonetheless amazing speeches) He created jobs, he made Germany prosperous again. He led is people to what he believed Germany could be but in the end lost. He is a great leader because of the fact he made Germany great again (this is of course would have been Hitler's opinion) He got what he wanted because of how he led, sadly many lives are lost at his great leadership. Hitler was a great leader but a horrible man.

Sorry about going through such lengths but I love History a lot
Posted 5/20/14 , edited 5/20/14
I'm probably going to get hate for this... But, I feel like one of the greatest leaders, in my opinion, is Adolf Hitler.

He made so many people believe in him, just with the power of speech and persuasion. So many people began to follow his ideals, feeling like they made sense; The idea of an "Aryan" race. A single human being held this power, and created Nazism. He and his army killed millions of people, with this power. I'm not saying everyone agreed with him living in Germany at this time, but he did gain a lot of support and agreement. He was attempting genocide, and this all started from mere speech.

I'm not saying that was a good thing; not at all. The Holocaust and its ideas make me physically ill. But he was a great and powerful leader, to have done something like that.

*Edit: I'm glad I'm not the only one who shares this opinion!
3191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Death Star
Offline
Posted 5/20/14

Balzack wrote:

Nixon, because he was the most effective US president we've ever had.


Only thing that made him seem to be a horrible president was Watergate. I wondered how our America would be now had he stayed in power.

11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 5/20/14 , edited 5/20/14
I'm with the guy a few posts above: Hitler. He was a cruel man who made his people do some terrible things, but from a leadership perspective, to get all those people to believe what you believe and do what you want takes some serious skill. There's no denying that despite being a terrible guy, he knew what he was doing.
3191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Death Star
Offline
Posted 5/20/14

Hachikobubble wrote:

I'm probably going to get hate for this... But, I feel like one of the greatest leaders, in my opinion, is Adolf Hitler.

He made so many people believe in him, just with the power of speech and persuasion. So many people began to follow his ideals, feeling like they made sense; The idea of an "Aryan" race. A single human being held this power, and created Nazism. He and his army killed millions of people, with this power. I'm not saying everyone agreed with him living in Germany at this time, but he did gain a lot of support and agreement. He was attempting genocide, and this all started from mere speech.

I'm not saying that was a good thing; not at all. The Holocaust and its ideas make me physically ill. But he was a great and powerful leader, to have done something like that.

*Edit: I'm glad I'm not the only one who shares this opinion!


Well if were being true to history in a Leadership standpoint, you have to say he was brilliant. Now if were talking morally, the guy is the black filth on the bottom of a titans foot.

3191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Death Star
Offline
Posted 5/20/14
I love this thread my history nerdness is running like a wild hyena
72840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Online
Posted 5/20/14

vash_loveandpeace wrote:

Best leader in History....I can't really say that I have a best but I can give at least two that are great, they may not be the greatest because of the things they've done but from a leadership point of view they were amazing leaders.

1) I think that one of greatest has to be Martin Luther. He was the climax of the Reformation which begun at least over a hundred years before him with William Tyndale (the man who translated a lot of the Latin Vulgate in (old)English). He stuck to what he believed to be true even at the Diet of Worms where he was put to trial for heresy but even though threatened with death he stood his ground and fought for the truth. What he did lead to a complete change in thinking in more then just the Christian church but also in many other areas people began searching for what was really true. I must admit--sadly, in his latter years he was anti-Semitic he believed that jews were evil because they crucified Christ. Proving that even great leaders are mere men

2) Adolf Hitler. Now I know this may dawn some thoughts of confusion but please hear me out (or read me out, whichever you prefer) Hitler was by all means a wretched piece of scum. What he did to countless amount of lives (6 million Jews and millions of handicapped, gypsies, blacks...and etc.) He experimented on many others and forced people to work until they died. In the view of leadership, Hitler was a amazing leader. Due to the Great War, Germany was left basically with money, leadership, and national pride. The League of Nations, forced Germany to pay for the war, also halted all military buildup. There were many parties in Germany at that time trying to gain control of the government. Hitler was a man trying to rise up to become a leader but was arrested in the 20's, this is where Hitlet wrote Mein Kamph. (in observance of time) Hitler rose to power with the Nazi party. He led men and women to believe what he believed, Hitler gave amazing speeches(the content was ill and sick but nonetheless amazing speeches) He created jobs, he made Germany prosperous again. He led is people to what he believed Germany could be but in the end lost. He is a great leader because of the fact he made Germany great again (this is of course would have been Hitler's opinion) He got what he wanted because of how he led, sadly many lives are lost at his great leadership. Hitler was a great leader but a horrible man.

Sorry about going through such lengths but I love History a lot


I love Your answer, especially with Martin Luther. I agree with You as well, Hitler was a great Leader. As was Stalin in many ways; moreso, Georgy Zhukov. Sadly I'm inclined to believe that most of what came out of Hitler's mouth AND pen was the result of Methamphetamine cut with megalomania. Still You're right though in terms of what it and He FIRST did for the pride and Country of Germany, regardless.
34241 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Chicago
Offline
Posted 5/20/14
Alexander The Great. In 13 years he conquered the known world and then some. He crushed the Persian empire and solidified the unity of Greece all without any modern technology. He led his armies from the front instead of ordering them around like most leaders and spread Greek culture across the globe. He never lost a battle and its is said Julius Caesar wept in front of a statue of Alexander the Great, realizing that where Alexander had conquered most of the known world at thirty, he had accomplished comparatively little. There are other great leaders out there, but Alexander is pretty tough to beat.
3191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Death Star
Offline
Posted 5/20/14


Stalin was an amazing leader in many respects. I dislike though that the face that he was an American ally, American textbooks don't talk about the millions who died in Stalin's own holocaust. I respect Lenin a little Stalin as a leader. Lenin was amazing in the social revolution of Russia. I don't agree with communism but I have to be truthful where truth is needed. Lenin was a fantastic leader in his own respect
3191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Death Star
Offline
Posted 5/20/14

severticas wrote:

Hitler wasn't anything special. When you look closely at how the events unfolded it wasn't down to anything special.


I don't know but I think the fact that he drove almost a whole nation to hate a specific group if crazy. He took advantage of a lot of things but nonetheless people loved him. He was a crazy military leader as well, and would've won the war had he not undermined the Russian winters. After the winter came while the Nazis were in Russia, that's where Russia got a foot in the ground and pushed Hitler back, and back to Berlin. That is of course my opinion

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.