First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
This woman wants to change how we look at our bodies
Posted 5/21/14


http://aplus.com/a/this-woman-wants-to-change-how-we-look-at-our-bodies

I have conflicted feelings about this, just as I have conflicted feelings about how I view my body and the reason for why I want to change it. Every time I decide to "change my lifestyle / eating habits" I tell myself and everyone else within earshot that I'm doing it to be "healthy." I want to be healthy... or so I wish. I keep telling myself it's because I'm "unhealthy." Yeah, that's how I view myself... or so I wish. The truth is that no matter how many times I throw about the idea of being unhealthy and wanting to improve my health, at the very back of my mind the core idea has always been and probably will always be that I want to lose weight because I'm fat and disgusting and I wish I could look like I used to and wear the clothes that I used to wear. It's never so much about health as it is about wanting desperately to shut people up from telling me how I've gained weight and am now fat.

I really, honestly wish I were better at lying to myself. Perhaps it would be so much easier to convince myself I should take care of my health as opposed to thinking that I would really love it if I could lose a ton of weight, look fabulous, and just gloat over the fact that I look better than all those people who dared to call me fat.

*sigh* I guess I still have a long way to go on battling insecurity and gaining true self-confidence. Kudos to this woman though, she may have already gotten there.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this issue?
2562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Salt Lake City, Utah
Offline
Posted 5/21/14
I envy this woman's security and confidence. I mean it takes a lot of guts to do something like this, I'm sure a lot of us can sympathize how hard it is to accept yourself instead of just insulting yourself.
17777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 5/21/14
hmm. im 6'1 and 185, and i still have issues with self image.
i think almost every one has them.
310 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Virginia, US
Offline
Posted 5/21/14
'To each their own' when it comes to what body shape you want. We are naturally born with a build and disposition for a particular body type but with enough hard work through diet and exercise (or lack of) you can get close to almost any bodily appearance you want. Where there are gaps, there is plastic surgery.

Personally, I dislike the way she looks in both pictures. So her message kinda skipped over my head. It's kinda like the joke that Tosh made on Tosh.0: "Cross fit is for women that don't want to be fat but don't want to be attractive either". That's how I feel about most bodybuilding type things for women. The other picture looks like my body currently, but more curvy. So instantly I'm not much of a fan.

When it comes to my own physical appearance I have tons of self image issues. Most of them steaming from my mother over feeding me as a child while my father, simultaneously, telling me I needed to diet and only eat 1200 calories a day. By 4th grade I was on a diet plan which to some seemed really weird. I think 98% of women have self image issues (and almost as much for men, and yes that number is random). It's not really something to harp on, just another mental screw up we all need to learn to over come. You either accept yourself the way you are, strive to improve yourself, or sit and sulk in shame. Most of us do a mix of all three.

On the other hand, don't even get me started on how it's okay to be fat now. Drives me freaking mad.
14470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 5/22/14
As far as the pictures go I would say that is just about right. There isn't much visceral fat and there is a healthy layer of cutaneous fat... I would place body fat percentage near 20% (by mass, not volume) which is also ideal. Fat levels should never drop below 10% and unless the person is an athlete it really shouldn't be below 15% (in other words if you go below 15% your mass should remain unchanged; it should be replaced by muscle). As far as measuring health I prefer performance related metrics. (resting heart rate, heart rate recovery, blood pressure, aerobic endurance, anaerobic endurance, strength, speed, power)

I do believe though that everyone should strive to be healthy but they need to get this false idea of healthy out of their heads first. On that note I disagree that they should just accept the way they are if they are putting their own health at risk. Also if they have a legitimate desire to change, that's okay, they should go on the attack and initiate change rather than denying it.
Posted 5/21/14
as a male, I've never felt pressured to be sexy or thin, so I can't really relate with her point.

of course, I tried to look sexy when I went on dates, like wearing contacts instead of spectacles... but I think that's normal. sometimes it's ok to try to be sexy, and to be vain for that special occasion.

you won't get the opportunity when you're older... with a bent back. so I say, flaunt it while you still got it, sisters.




Posted 5/22/14 , edited 5/22/14
Well, when looking at other people I don't care what they look like, just be friendly and respectful.

I had huge appearance issues growing up and it's wasted a lot of time and opportunities. Time that I will never get back.

19067 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / DELTA QUADRANT
Offline
Posted 5/22/14
I dont have a problem with being heavy or overweight I have a problem with why people are heavy and overweight.
1327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Netherlands
Offline
Posted 5/22/14 , edited 5/22/14
That woman is fucking stupid when i looked in the mirror 6 months ago i thought i looked skinny so i started working out and kept a protein rich diet i havent had deep fried food or soda since then only water and healthy food for me.
I look 10 times better now because im not a lazy @#%! that blames other people or 'genetics' or 'it runs in my family' for looking skinny or fat.

I dont care if other people are fat and dont work out or eat healthy, just dont blame other people for your own fatness
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 5/22/14

demongurrl13I keep telling myself it's because I'm "unhealthy." Yeah, that's how I view myself... or so I wish. The truth is that no matter how many times I throw about the idea of being unhealthy and wanting to improve my health, at the very back of my mind the core idea has always been and probably will always be that I want to lose weight because I'm fat and disgusting and I wish I could look like I used to and wear the clothes that I used to wear. It's never so much about health as it is about wanting desperately to shut people up from telling me how I've gained weight and am now fat.

I really, honestly wish I were better at lying to myself.


Why do you have to make the excuse that you're going to be healthy? Why can't "getting thin" be the flagship in your quest?
I see nothing wrong with that. It's totally understandable imo.
Posted 5/22/14

Raimu4 wrote:

That woman is fucking stupid when i looked in the mirror 6 months ago i thought i looked skinny so i started working out and kept a protein rich diet i havent had deep fried food or soda since then only water and healthy food for me.
I look 10 times better now because im not a lazy @#%! that blames other people or 'genetics' or 'it runs in my family' for looking skinny or fat.

I dont care if other people are fat and dont work out or eat healthy, just dont blame other people for your own fatness


Who's blaming who? Did you even read it or watch the video?

You wanna know what's fucking stupid? When people let baseless comments fly out of their mouths without knowing what the fuck they're talking about.


Syndicaidramon wrote:

Why do you have to make the excuse that you're going to be healthy? Why can't "getting thin" be the flagship in your quest?
I see nothing wrong with that. It's totally understandable imo.


Not when you have an obsessive personality like I do.. If I make "getting thin" my goal, there's a very high risk of me going overboard and ending up a lot worse (health-wise) than when I started. Not to mention it's not a good frame of mind to have.. At least, I don't feel so... Mostly because thinking that way means I am admitting that I am indeed fat and unattractive -- a self-destructive frame of mind that I have been battling with for a very long time.
3910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Pandemonium
Offline
Posted 5/22/14

demongurrl13
Not when you have an obsessive personality like I do.. If I make "getting thin" my goal, there's a very high risk of me going overboard and ending up a lot worse (health-wise) than when I started. Not to mention it's not a good frame of mind to have.. At least, I don't feel so... Mostly because thinking that way means I am admitting that I am indeed fat and unattractive -- a self-destructive frame of mind that I have been battling with for a very long time.


But you're admitting that to yourself right now, are you not? So why be in denial about it? Why not embrace the fact that you do feel that way, and then use that as a motivator to make a change?
After all, people don't change if they don't feel like they need to change.
Don't delude yourself. Whatever emotion you're harboring, face it head on. Accept it, and use it as best as you can to make improvements.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/22/14
Whatever floats her boat.

I wonder if she asks girls that go to universities, especially freshmen.
"I like my body. It's so tight and tone."
"My boobs are so perky. A la Katy Perry."
"When I twerk, there's no ripple effect that goes to my tummy."



Sogno- 
45762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/22/14
in the end, it's just important to be healthy. drink ur milk and ear ur veggies kids


GayAsianBoy wrote:so I say, flaunt it while you still got it, sisters.


what about those of us who never had it
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 5/22/14

Sogno- wrote:

in the end, it's just important to be healthy. drink ur milk and ear ur veggies kids


GayAsianBoy wrote:so I say, flaunt it while you still got it, sisters.


what about those of us who never had it


YOU HAVE IT SISTER, BELIEVE IN YOURSELFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.