First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
The Scientific Theory of Evolution has no holes, so why are there still theists?
toxxin 
43423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Nowhere in partic...
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 12/26/14
Because evolution gives no proof as to what happens after death (Which honestly how can it ever). In order to give life meaning the common person needs recognition for their life's work, believing in an afterlife provided by a deity gives them that.

edit: spelling
8863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 12/26/14

toxxin wrote:

In order to give life meaning the common person needs recognition for their life's work, believing in an afterlife provided by a deity gives them that.

edit: spelling


It's pretty sad though isn't it? People placing more stock in some sky daddy(yes)/mommy than in the family friends and people they know ACTUALLY exist and interact with on a day to day basis.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 1/2/15

cordellium wrote:


toxxin wrote:

In order to give life meaning the common person needs recognition for their life's work, believing in an afterlife provided by a deity gives them that.

edit: spelling


It's pretty sad though isn't it? People placing more stock in some sky daddy(yes)/mommy than in the family friends and people they know ACTUALLY exist and interact with on a day to day basis.


If belief in a good afterlife (which i believe in) can give meaning to someones life and make them a better person, then how is that sad? I had a friend who was incredibly depressed and contemplated suicide, but when she joined a church youth group she became a lot happier and became a better person to others so i disagree with some of your pessimistic views on religious people
8293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Soul Society
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 1/2/15
First off atheism =/= evolution. It is very possible to be a christian and still accept evolution, heck even the Vatican agrees with evolution theory.
Secondly evolution does not disprove any deity because it doesn't even put one into the equation.
Thirdly, only religious extremist are the ones that are against evolution. Make sure not to tie up those christians with the extremists like Ray Comfart or Ken Ham.
Fourthly, evolution isn't a fact, but a SCIENTIFIC FACT. There is a major key difference here. Evolution is look highly upon better in the scientific community then creationism because evolution fits more with the scientific evidence and observation through the scientific method.
Fifthly, most of them get evolution mixed up with with things like Abiogenesis and the Big Bang theory. Most of them thinks that evolution describes our origin when it merely only talks about it's process.

It's all just misunderstanding. Sadly you are right though, America is the only one out of the first world countries to be making a big deal about evolution being taught to our younger generations.
8863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 12/26/14

edge1143 wrote:


cordellium wrote:


toxxin wrote:

In order to give life meaning the common person needs recognition for their life's work, believing in an afterlife provided by a deity gives them that.

edit: spelling


It's pretty sad though isn't it? People placing more stock in some sky daddy(yes)/mommy than in the family friends and people they know ACTUALLY exist and interact with on a day to day basis.


If belief in a good afterlife (which i believe in) can give meaning to someones life and make them a better person, then how is that sad? I had a friend who was incredibly depressed and contemplated suicide, but when she joined a church youth group she became a lot happier and became a better person to others so i disagree with some of your pessimistic views on religious people


That doesn't make it anymore true unfortunately. I'm not concerned about living a happy fairy tale. I'm concerned about living in reality. Sugar coating it with gumdrops and rainbows and sweeping promises of an afterlife where you will spend an eternity of bliss (if you happened to even pick the right god out of the THOUSANDS of gods and performed the right propitiations) absolutely diminishes this life and all of the wonder it already holds.

14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 5/21/14


I don't want to fill this thread with our argument so i'll just message you and you do the same
16837 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / IL
Offline
Posted 5/21/14
I agree with what I see people saying about it being a fear thing. I think if your talking about the general population it boils down to the fear of death and religion serving to comfort the fear people have about themselves and loved ones dying, which is understandable because death is a very scary thing. I think people don't want to believe in evolution deep down because if they start poking holes in their religion with evolution, it will lead them to question what happens when they die. To that degree I don't see a problem with people believing that way.

I do see a problem when religion is combating science and evolution, particularly in the classroom. Now I think it's good for scientist to disagree theories based on different evidence and findings, however it does concern me when the well proven theory on evolution is debated using mainly faith based findings as proof. Now again I realize that this is far from everyone's view but the point I am trying to make is that religion isn't something people should be ridiculed for, but I don't think religious faith should factor into scientific studies.
8863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 5/21/14

Anticosm wrote:

Its one hole is that it is still theory. Until it is proven, you can rest assured that it won't hold up with the religious at all.


You know what a theory in science is right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLeztJkhi4U
7155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/21/14

toxxin wrote:

Because evolution gives no proof as to what happens after death (Which honestly how can it ever). In order to give life meaning the common person needs recognition for their life's work, believing in an afterlife provided by a deity gives them that.

edit: spelling


I have wondered about this. I do not see the appeal in living on for eternity. Just looking around we know that it is normal for things to die, and we are even surprised and disgusted by things which persist for too long.
9730 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 5/21/14
Tim Minchin said it best: "Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved."
17436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 12/26/14
OP's statement was definitive. The Theory of Evolution has no holes.

Don't be point/counterpointing with youtube and wikipedia links.

OP wrote a thesis. Your arguments are invalid.

15230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 1/7/15

cordellium wrote:


Anticosm wrote:

Its one hole is that it is still theory. Until it is proven, you can rest assured that it won't hold up with the religious at all.


You know what a theory in science is right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLeztJkhi4U


I can't help but point out that 90% of that video is nonsense. Most of what he says isn't remotely grounded in logic. It's based in his own faith of a different kind. All scientists have faith in something, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to spend your life trying to find how the world works. Science can only be done with the (honestly) blind faith that the world operates in some kind of sensible fashion. One could argue that particular blind faith isn't as much of a stretch as in certain religions, but that is absolutely not the claim made in that video.

Also, he's wrong to say science consists only of theories. There are plenty of laws. It's a somewhat arbitrary semantic distinction, but I think there are real differences to pointed out. There is a lot which is still not understood about the specifics of evolution. What influences the rates of mutation? What is the process by which the first life organized? Etc. We have good guesses, but those fundamental aspects of the theory have much more research to be done before we understand them quantitatively. I think that is the reason why evolution has not been elevated to the status of a law of science. It irritates me just as much when a man of science makes unfounded claims as when a man of some church does it. That's why I had to go off on the video you linked.
14725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 1/2/15
I personally do not rule anything out without 100% certainty. There is one question that cannot be answered, something beyond human imagination, a question that when stacked to its root it becomes more of an anomaly than dividing by zero... "Why?"

If I were to ask the origin of the universe many would point to the big bang... but even then there was matter... perhaps it is an infinite loop? Even if it were... you just have to accept that everything is just....there....

Indeed, by my logical processes I would have to say that the current default stance must be agnostic...
952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / B-612
Offline
Posted 5/21/14 , edited 7/18/15
I believe in God.
My mind is not so closed that I reject the supernatural realm
simply because it cannot be experienced with my five senses.
15230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/21/14

plaidypuss wrote:

OP's statement was definitive. The Theory of Evolution has no holes.

Don't be point/counterpointing with youtube and wikipedia links.

OP wrote a thesis. Your arguments are invalid.



Do you have any idea how many theses have been shot down a hundred years after they were written? I doubt that will happen with evolution, as it seems to be a sound principle. However, the thing about scientific papers is that they report what they see, show how it can fit into a model, and sometimes give philosophical arguments in favor of that model. There are many, many, many examples of models we once thought irrefutable but have since been replaced.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.