First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Are all the men to blame for?
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 8/24/14
I do think the media affects people to a certain extent, but that sounded more like a couple of boys trying to act cool infront of the "gang", and less about sexual desire. Of course the victim was targetted because of how she looks, but frankly i think they were just trying to show off. Still that doesn't excuse their behaviour.
13269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / RI, USA
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
I'm just going to say that Just as much as those FEW men that are assholes and pigs like there there are just as many women that do the same thing. The difference is exactly that. Media, Men are the target cause society makes women out to be weak and easily subjugated. So the idea of women harassing men is next to impossible to believe. Unfortunately that is the society that we live in. Both parties have those RARE FEW that are like that. and the whole reason i dislike feminism is exactly that, They judge and point fingers and stereotype 99% of the time. but when a male does that its just sexism. no matter what side it is or what title you put it under, its all the same garbage. A few people run into some scum( male or female) have a bad experience. ( which i truly am sorry about) then they go and post it all over social media and make it some huge political stance by generalizing and pointing fingers at an entire sex blaming them for what happened. We as a species will never be able to eliminate the possibility of people doing things like that. What we can do is work towards building an understanding that it truly is JUST A SMALL HANDFUL of people like that and not half of the human population. And then help those that fall victim to those few. and try and get them to not stereotype or generalize all men because of their bad luck and experiences with the wrong people. We as a species are comprised of individuals. not clones. Just because one person is a bad egg for whatever reason, it doesn't mean that everyone of the same sex is the same way. That's my opinion.
4285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

MacMeaties wrote:

All this is is painting a whole group of people with the same brush based on the behaviour of a few. It is sexism and nothing more. Nearly half of all reported domestic violence is female on male but women aren't getting labelled as abusive now are they?

Look at it this way; if even half a percent of the world's total population are assholes that is still over 3 million assholes. It may seem like a lot but it is no way indicative of the human population as a whole.


So true!
11017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Boca Raton, FL
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
I don't think trying to push a pro-feminist discussion on a forum that is part of a anime streaming website is going to be particularly successful. Anime is probably the most "misogynist" thing at most points. In fact, it's from Japan obviously, which has a pretty heavily repressed culture and society, and things like rape and other things people consider sexual harassment is common place in a lot media, doujin work or otherwise.

The world isn't really a place where you can bank how you feel about things, and not everyone is going to step around things that bother people. It's better to just get a bit of a thicker skin. Besides, whatever truth there is in evidence of true harassment, and oppression, like actually being touched or hounded verbally, is completely lost in fabricated stories for the sake of pushing a movement.

Each case that has merit should be taken into personal consideration, and handled on a single, personal basis, trying to use a "blanket" as a catch all is just going to harm more people, and it's what causes a lot of societal problems. It's not easy, and I do have a lot of sympathy for other women who have the unfortunate experience of being abused, but there is a fine line between helping and hurting vulnerable people. Even people who want to help with good intentions, can help too much. It is possible.

TL;DR: Evil people in the world won't change. You can change how you react, and how you can be prepared, such as self defense classes, but most importantly, bandwagoning on any old story on the internet never does anybody good.
15529 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / California
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
I don't know if this has been brought up, but from that first post it sounded like they were in a cafeteria and the hardest thing for me to believe is that no other students did anything. Maybe it's because I'm from California, but if some d-bags did something like that to a girl there'd be more than just a few people who'd beat the crap out of those guys before the teachers even came. That's a pretty crazy story. If it's true, then it's sad and we as individuals can help combat that by sticking up for people when they are being harassed.
26428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / NJ, USA
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
A select few does not equate the majority. There is no doubt that there are plenty of scummy men out there, but the same can be said for women as well. Do we need feminism? Hell no. Being a guy can be unfair at times and there are some privileges women can enjoy that men cannot. I could make a list if I wanted to, but that is not the point.

What we need is equalism. Those guys in that story really do need to be beaten and arrested for sexual assault, that school board needs to be reprimanded harshly for their inadequacy in dealing with the situation and for blaming the victim, and the girl herself needed to know that when you wear a low-cut shirt after bragging about your large breasts, guys will ogle you. It's common sense.
1585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 8/24/14

Alycian wrote:

I don't think trying to push a pro-feminist discussion on a forum that is part of a anime streaming website is going to be particularly successful. Anime is probably the most "misogynist" thing at most points. In fact, it's from Japan obviously, which has a pretty heavily repressed culture and society, and things like rape and other things people consider sexual harassment is common place in a lot media, doujin work or otherwise.

The world isn't really a place where you can bank how you feel about things, and not everyone is going to step around things that bother people. It's better to just get a bit of a thicker skin. Besides, whatever truth there is in evidence of true harassment, and oppression, like actually being touched or hounded verbally, is completely lost in fabricated stories for the sake of pushing a movement.

Each case that has merit should be taken into personal consideration, and handled on a single, personal basis, trying to use a "blanket" as a catch all is just going to harm more people, and it's what causes a lot of societal problems. It's not easy, and I do have a lot of sympathy for other women who have the unfortunate experience of being abused, but there is a fine line between helping and hurting vulnerable people. Even people who want to help with good intentions, can help too much. It is possible.

TL;DR: Evil people in the world won't change. You can change how you react, and how you can be prepared, such as self defense classes, but most importantly, bandwagoning on any old story on the internet never does anybody good.


I don't think Anime is reflective of Japanese society. Not in the least. The guys who write Anime fiction are more or less Japanese liberals. Notice they're almost always anti-government.

Also when its to the role of gender, they are more less progressive. Males in Japanese Anime are much more submissive and feminine compared to American television's macho culture, while it still caters to a largely male audience with buxom female characters. Until female demographics outnumber male anime viewers, this won't change. The reason American television caters to women now is because women make a larger portion of buyers than men on the market. It's supply and demand.
21519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Houston
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14

kokorowohiraite wrote:

Equality is what society should be striving to achieve.
Putting down a man because you think that is empowering to women is a narrow mindset and counter-productive. This attitude can be applied to any situation, regardless of age, race, gender and so forth.


This should probably be quoted again and again in this thread. It's not necessarily profound or well spoken or anything, but it doesn't need to be. It's 100% correct and it's a basic idea that seems to escape way too many people when it comes to gender, race, nationality, etc.

I don't even understand why any of this is ever in question. We do not get anywhere as a people, as an entire society, by butting heads. By painting with a wide brush, you cover people who you intend to cover, but you also inevitably soil those who are inherently innocent. And most people who ask such broad, generalizing questions don't tend to care who their implication hurts, just that it hurts someone because you yourself feel you've been wronged.
11017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Boca Raton, FL
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

essex1 wrote:



I don't think Anime is reflective of Japanese society. Not in the least. The guys who write Anime fiction are more or less Japanese liberals. Notice they're almost always anti-government.

Also when its to the role of gender, they are more less progressive. Males in Japanese Anime are much more submissive and feminine compared to American television's macho culture, while it still caters to a largely male audience with buxom female characters. Until female demographics outnumber male anime viewers, this won't change. The reason American television caters to women now is because women make a larger portion of buyers than men on the market. It's supply and demand.


I agree that it might be a pretty big assumption, it's just my personal opinion, anyway. My point was just that considering what most anime content contains, most people who are into it probably aren't off put by mature content and themes, and are less likely to react in a way that promotes feminism. I do agree with most of your point, but I still think there is some kind of reflection in some of the work that's out there.
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 8/24/14
I don't know about all men. But there are enough to make the world a different place through the eyes of a woman.

There is also the concept of 'male privilege ' as someone who took a high heeled step out of that circle I can tell you it exists, it's unconscious and pervasive. Girls don't see some of the subtle and ingrained aspects of it because that's how they have always lived. Guys never notice either. I certainly didn't. I considered myself kind and self-effacing as a guy. I never realized how much men and women were yeilding to me in pedestrian traffic until they stopped. As a guy, like all guys. I walked in straight lines. As a girl, Iike all girls I have to weave and I get clobbered with a lot more purses.

Worst is when I forget and nearly charge right into a guy who doesn't even really see me.
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 8/24/14
I guess it depends on where you are/ who you are dealing with. No doubt there is still a lot of sexism even though it's not as pervasive as it once was. Our entire culture is still dominated by men. Pretty obvious from the male replies here, lol.

Hear a story about a woman being sexually harassed, and most men's reaction is one of the following:

deny - fake story, exaggerated, etc.
redirect - not ALL men are like that/it's not a big deal/accusing men is unfair
insult - just dumb feminists, sluts, etc.
accuse - women harass men more than men harass women/women are asking for it

Very rarely will anyone acknowledge there's even a real problem. God forbid we make women the focus of our discussion...
33369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
She shoulda been like, "Let's play a game"




I've been enjoying no game no life too much
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
Kat Dennings has big boobs. It's evident in the show 2 Broke Girls.
However, when I watched the recent Thor movie, I couldn't even tell she had one.
She dressed and covered. Her clothing in the movie still preserved her integrity and femininity.

Or like Mayim Bialik in the show Big Bang Theory.
She has normal, all day get up and she also has her night out / girls' night get up.
The way she worn her outfits and carried herself doesn't scream sexual advancements.
9791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
This kind of short-sighted Feminism pisses me off. Correction; most modern incarnations of Feminism pisses me off, as well as the Amazonian version of the ancient past.

It's "nice" to know that all of my male loved ones and any of my future are written off as scum. F*ck them.

EDIT:

Since when are men their own species, anyway? Someone skip out on school and common sense?
497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / i dont even know.
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

Dropplet wrote:

Let's get controversial

So on Facebook I have been seeing statuses by feminist claiming that all the male SPECIES are dangerous. And that men get away with sexual harassment to much.




You make it seem like men are animals:I that hurt my feelings

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.