First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Are all the men to blame for?
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
Blaming all men just alienates them and makes them defensive, ensuring the message is far less effective if it even gets heard.
Hell, I stopped reading at "So on Facebook I have been seeing statuses by feminist claiming that all the male species are dangerous."
41110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Ottawa
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
Well, first off, I think that "story" is exactly that, a story. A power fantasy, if you will. The feel-good answer to the hypothetical question "what would I do if someone sexually harassed me". Not that this is a bad thing; recognizing that she doesn't "deserve" to be harassed and being able to stand up against it is very empowering, regardless of if it's real or imagined.

That said, the whole premise here is a bit hypocritical. The "story" complains that the girl is treated as nothing more then breasts, then turns around and suggests that boys are nothing more then a penis. Reality is, most boys want meaningful relationships just as much as most girls do. Also reality is that girls want to have sex just as much as boys do. We need to work through the absurd double standards surrounding this; double standards that are reinforced by BOTH sides of the gender gap.
22329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

Kunami_Mata wrote:


kokorowohiraite wrote:

Equality is what society should be striving to achieve.
Putting down a man because you think that is empowering to women is a narrow mindset and counter-productive. This attitude can be applied to any situation, regardless of age, race, gender and so forth.


This should probably be quoted again and again in this thread. It's not necessarily profound or well spoken or anything, but it doesn't need to be. It's 100% correct and it's a basic idea that seems to escape way too many people when it comes to gender, race, nationality, etc.

I don't even understand why any of this is ever in question. We do not get anywhere as a people, as an entire society, by butting heads. By painting with a wide brush, you cover people who you intend to cover, but you also inevitably soil those who are inherently innocent. And most people who ask such broad, generalizing questions don't tend to care who their implication hurts, just that it hurts someone because you yourself feel you've been wronged.


Honestly I feel like the only way that people will listen to what you have to say or what you write and, furthermore, actually understand it as a concept, and hopefully accept it, is if it's put simply. I've seen so many instances where people convey their thoughts and beliefs in overly complex ways, or ways that not everyone can understand or bother to understand, and a majority of the meaning is lost. A lot of miscommunication can happen because of this and, in some cases, I've even see people lash out due to a feeling of inferiority so they begin to throw around insults and project.

So many things have the potential to be so simple but we, as humans, tend to over complicate and I find a lot of the conflict arises from our own selfishness. Hopefully we progress in the future, rather than regress.

Posted 5/28/14
should have cried.
21519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Houston
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

kokorowohiraite wrote:

Honestly I feel like the only way that people will listen to what you have to say or what you write and, furthermore, actually understand it as a concept, and hopefully accept it, is if it's put simply.

So many things have the potential to be so simple but we, as humans, tend to over complicate and I find a lot of the conflict arises from our own selfishness.


Pretty much. We have to accept that some people don't want things simple, though. Some people want to overly complicate things. Some people want to be angry. Some people have very good reasons for wanting to be angry, and I wouldn't want to tell them they haven't the right to be, but still. It's disheartening. Nothing changes that way.

And Azusa still rocks!
24106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Cornland
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
Equality is something i always have, and more than likely always believe in.

Every single person, Man or Female are different, they can not all be grouped into one category, you can't even say every guy has a dick anymore as transexuals have proven, Going on from that everyone is different, so statements such as all women are weak, all men are animals, or etc. are not true and can never be proven to be true.

In response to your question, i for one have been the subject of sexual harassment from girls, but that doesn't get publicized by the media as much as girls do. What do i do about it? i Ignore to the point where if it gets too provocative then i stand my ground. Yes one might say, girls can't do that towards men because they are stronger, but what is stopping women from weight lifiting a bit and taking martial arts, and this is the point where one will say "But it shouldn't have to come to that point" where they're damn right, in a good equal world it shouldn't, but as everyone knows that is not how the world is, so if on wants to assure themselves of their own safety one must try to acquire on their own, rather than becoming a victim, which no one chooses to be, but it'll never be possible to stop assholes, primitive thinking people or lunatics, the best one can do is prepare themselves in the event of something
4125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 8/24/14
Blame should be placed upon the parents and friends of abusive, patriarchal males. Children learn their morals from their environment. I strongly believe that a person's guardians and close friends have the strongest influence on that person's morals. All men should not be blamed for the wrongs of some, though I'm sure it is most, men. That is the same thing as degrading all Muslims for the wrongful acts of some Muslim terrorists.

With regards to the media, TV shows and simple things like that are for entertainment. Even news shows are nothing more than shows. It is not the duty of the media to censor themselves, no matter what things (male dominance, patriarchy) might be present in the media.

Rather than restrain the media or place universal blame on men, people need to change themselves for the better and influence those around them until there is a universal understanding that men and women must be treated equally.
1840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Bebop
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
Generalizing all men because of a couple of assholes is pretty irrational. However, I do believe in equality and everyone should be treated fairly and equally. On the other hand if you put all men under one stereotype, that makes us a lot more defensive and less likely to understand your true message.
1585 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 8/24/14

Alycian wrote:


essex1 wrote:



I don't think Anime is reflective of Japanese society. Not in the least. The guys who write Anime fiction are more or less Japanese liberals. Notice they're almost always anti-government.

Also when its to the role of gender, they are more less progressive. Males in Japanese Anime are much more submissive and feminine compared to American television's macho culture, while it still caters to a largely male audience with buxom female characters. Until female demographics outnumber male anime viewers, this won't change. The reason American television caters to women now is because women make a larger portion of buyers than men on the market. It's supply and demand.


I agree that it might be a pretty big assumption, it's just my personal opinion, anyway. My point was just that considering what most anime content contains, most people who are into it probably aren't off put by mature content and themes, and are less likely to react in a way that promotes feminism. I do agree with most of your point, but


I realize you were trying to make another point with all that and I wasn't trying to ignore it, but I couldn't resist tackling that one issue with Anime. I however get this feeling that anime watchers are more susceptible to Feminism due to a lot of Anime glorifying idealism, and Feminism is a philosophy built on dreamy ideals that sounded good on paper 50 years ago.


Alycian I still think there is some kind of reflection in some of the work that's out there.


Self reflection is never ending. Anime is far from perfect, but they're clumsily trying to being inclusive of other groups without alienating their original fans.

22329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

Kunami_Mata wrote:


kokorowohiraite wrote:

Honestly I feel like the only way that people will listen to what you have to say or what you write and, furthermore, actually understand it as a concept, and hopefully accept it, is if it's put simply.

So many things have the potential to be so simple but we, as humans, tend to over complicate and I find a lot of the conflict arises from our own selfishness.


Pretty much. We have to accept that some people don't want things simple, though. Some people want to overly complicate things. Some people want to be angry. Some people have very good reasons for wanting to be angry, and I wouldn't want to tell them they haven't the right to be, but still. It's disheartening. Nothing changes that way.

And Azusa still rocks!


That's very true. In some cases an elaboration of one's opinion, backed up with evidence and/or clearly thought out and relevant views and points, can help others to understand and raise awareness regarding particular issues. It's informative and educating, the only problem is that a lot of people will only put forth information that supports their own opinion or view, which is more often than not very stubbornly narrow minded and self centered (but as you said, some people indeed have valid reasons to be resentful or want to express their anger), regardless if there is a mass of contradicting information out there and this has been a recurring problem within any topic that causes controversy. Then again, that's life and nothing is ever black and white.

Oh, and thank you!
3259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fenix, AZ
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
Yep its men, because we can blame everything on a gender
Posted 5/28/14

bamfcampbell wrote:

Blame should be placed upon the parents and friends of abusive, patriarchal males. Children learn their morals from their environment. I strongly believe that a person's guardians and close friends have the strongest influence on that person's morals. All men should not be blamed for the wrongs of some, though I'm sure it is most, men. That is the same thing as degrading all Muslims for the wrongful acts of some Muslim terrorists.

With regards to the media, TV shows and simple things like that are for entertainment. Even news shows are nothing more than shows. It is not the duty of the media to censor themselves, no matter what things (male dominance, patriarchy) might be present in the media.

Rather than restrain the media or place universal blame on men, people need to change themselves for the better and influence those around them until there is a universal understanding that men and women must be treated equally.


impossible to blame parents and i don't think they are to blame, at a certain age you mentally disassociate yourself to your then primary influence and replace them with new influences. i think being in groups creates this kind of behavior as those in groups are together in their cohesive assault and will not necessarily feel individually responsible. once something is shared, it will dilute the moral implication.
21519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Houston
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

kokorowohiraite wrote:

That's very true. In some cases an elaboration of one's opinion, backed up with evidence and/or clearly thought out and relevant views and points, can help others to understand and raise awareness regarding particular issues. It's informative and educating, the only problem is that a lot of people will only put forth information that supports their own opinion or view, which is more often than not very stubbornly narrow minded and self centered (but as you said, some people indeed have valid reasons to be resentful or want to express their anger), regardless if there is a mass of contradicting information out there and this has been a recurring problem within any topic that causes controversy. Then again, that's life and nothing is ever black and white.

Oh, and thank you!


You're too young to be this level headed and observant. Stop it.
72836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

Dropplet wrote:

I think where we need to start is by changing the media. Sexual harassment is not every girls fantasy. Not every girl wants to be pushed up against a wall by some stranger or someone they no but don't like... I know this. It's happened to me and I hated every second of it. It happens all the time in anime which I think it's wrong. Which is part of the reason I didn't like SAO during the last couple episodes... it made me cry because as a female it was watching someone get almost raped.


I'm so sorry to hear that that happened to You...
45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
Eh...I don't know. Well, that's wrong. I just don't care. That sounds kind of bad, huh? Let me be more specific. I don't care about this issue because I am an apathetic person, not because I'm a misogynist. If it helps, I wouldn't care if it was happening to me. Unless perhaps I was a women as well, because that would drastically change my genetic makeup and perhaps relieve me of my crippling apathy. If I kept my crippling apathy as a woman, then I still wouldn't care.

I'd just break his legs or something. I find most disagreements with other people can be solved by breaking things in their body until either they agree with your viewpoint or they don't have anymore stuff to break.

But since it sounds like a pain in the butt to deal with harassment, I'm for ending it. Whatever makes life easier for me to live, you know?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.