First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Kill la Kill Aniplex of America Releases
55911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
I mentioned this in the Kill la Kill discussion thread, here, but figured I'd make a new thread to discuss the Aniplex of America release plans for Kill la Kill in North America. I'm not surprised at the pricing, but singles in this day and age AoA, really?


sonic720 wrote:

Well, Aniplex of America is finally revealing the Kill la Kill DVD and Blu-ray release details... they are releasing the show like Japanese singles in Japan, 4 episodes per set! Rage time.

http://www.killlakill.com/blu-ray_dvd/



KILL la KILL Volume 1 Limited Edition (Blu-ray, DVD & Soundtrack CD Combo Set)


Coming: 07/15/14

SRP: $74.98
Store Price: $59.98

Pre-order Start Date: 05/29/14

Disc Spec
    Spoken Languages: Japanese & English
    Subtitles: English & Spanish
    Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
    Episodes: Episodes 1-4
    Number of Disc: 3 Discs (Blu-ray, DVD and Soundtrack CD)
    Total Run Time: Approx. 100 min.
    Rating: 16 UP


Bonus Contents
    Textless Openings
    Web Version Previews


Bonus Materials & Special Package
    Rearrange & Remix Soundtrack CD by HIROYUKI SAWANO
    Postcard Set
    Double-sided Poster


http://www.killlakill.com/blu-ray_dvd/02.html

KILL la KILL Volume 1 Blu-ray


Coming: 07/15/14

SRP: $49.98
Store Price: $39.98

Pre-order Start Date: 05/29/14

Disc Spec
    Spoken Languages: Japanese & English
    Subtitles: English & Spanish
    Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
    Episodes: Episodes 1-4
    Number of Disc: 1 BD disc
    Total Run Time: Approx. 100 min.
    Rating: 16 UP


Bonus Contents
    Textless Openings
    Web Version Previews


http://www.killlakill.com/blu-ray_dvd/01.html

KILL la KILL Volume 1 DVD


Coming: 07/15/14

SRP: $39.98
Store Price: $29.98

Pre-order Start Date: 05/29/14

Disc Spec
    Spoken Languages: Japanese & English
    Subtitles: English & Spanish
    Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
    Episodes: Episodes 1-4
    Number of Disc: 1 DVD disc
    Total Run Time: Approx. 100 min.
    Rating: 16 UP


Bonus Contents
    Textless Openings
    Web Version Previews


I think it's crazy they are releasing Blu-ray and DVD singles, i.e. 4 episodes per disc, in 2014. With 24 episodes total, that makes 6 single volumes to collect it all. The first limited edition volume is $60, so if I multiply that by 6 I get $360 total. That's the same price as the 4 LE sets for SAO, but in 6 single volumes instead.

AoA has confirmed that it will be released in 5 volumes and not 6. 4 episodes on volume 1, and I assume 5 episodes on the remaining 4 volumes. That's still $300 for the LE volumes, $200 for the standard edition Blu-ray volumes, and $150 for the DVD volumes; assuming the price is the same for all. So, perhaps a bit cheaper than SAO, we shall see.

So what are your thoughts on the release plans and the pricing?
2562 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Salt Lake City, Utah
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
I gotta say the pricing isn't the worst here. Surprising for Aniplex, but I think they should release it a bit earlier.
31301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Watching CR
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
Looks nice and they are certainlly cheaper than the SAO sets... I might pick them up because they seem to be in my budget and the extras are decent to be worth the money.
27044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / My bed in my room
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
if you have seen the trailer what did u guys think of the voices u could hear? Personally I liked mako, gamagori, and nonon. the rest were meh
9547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/29/14
Oh my god. $30 for 1-4 episodes.
Yeah, thanks. I'm gonna pass for now. I'll wait for 3 more years for the complete parts and for a cheaper price at Amazon or rightstuf. (Just like FMA:B)


emanny-chan2713 wrote:

if you have seen the trailer what did u guys think of the voices u could hear? Personally I liked mako, gamagori, and nonon. the rest were meh


I think they did a great job on the Elite 4.
55911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
One thing I do like is that there is an alternative for the Blu-ray releases. We won't be forced to have LE Blu-ray or nothing with standard editions being offered as well. Very mixed feeling here for me, though, since it's AoA I'm not too surprised they are going this route.

Additionally, the first volume is due out in mid July, and that's a very quick turnaround from the Japanese releases on Blu-ray. It's a bit of a trade off, you get the discs quicker, but pay a premium for it.
25630 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
Pricing doesn't bother me or surprise me with Ani, I'm used to it as I own quite a bit of their blu ray selection. I also started collecting anime well over a decade ago when all series were being released in single volumes, so while a little odd in this day in age, again, doesn't bother me. What I am relieved about is the fact a blu ray version is being offered. For me, I'll be pre-ordering the L.E.s as soon as they're made available to do so.
57 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
Its almost pointless to buy the dvd version since the bluray is only ten dollars more, with that being said, the pricing for this is just ridiculous.
8121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / qtπ
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

emanny-chan2713 wrote:

if you have seen the trailer what did u guys think of the voices u could hear? Personally I liked mako, gamagori, and nonon. the rest were meh


Nonon was the only decent one.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/28/14
I'm going to wait for the inevitable box set to be released, or for a stream of the English dub to hit somewhere legal. No way am I buying singles. I hate to be that way, it sends a bad message to AoA about their release schedule and pricing (but might also give the illusion that I'm not interested at all when I'm actually very interested). Buying the singles just isn't the most economically efficient way to buy anime. That method devours money for no good reason.
7024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Washington DC
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

BlueOni wrote:

I'm going to wait for the inevitable box set to be released, or for a stream of the English dub to hit somewhere legal. No way am I buying singles. I hate to be that way, it sends a bad message to AoA about their release schedule and pricing (but might also give the illusion that I'm not interested at all when I'm actually very interested). Buying the singles just isn't the most economically efficient way to buy anime. That method devours money for no good reason.


Are we sure that they're actually going to release a box-set? Because if Madoka's release is any indication, they're totally content to just leave you to buy the show four episodes at a time. Have they released a show in this kind of fragmented way in the past? I assumed they almost always just split it into two exceedingly expensive parts. I've never really paid attention to them until recently--they rarely license shows I'm interested in.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

GifGaffeGiraffe wrote:

Are we sure that they're actually going to release a box-set? Because if Madoka's release is any indication, they're totally content to just leave you to buy the show four episodes at a time. Have they released a show in this kind of fragmented way in the past? I assumed they almost always just split it into two exceedingly expensive parts. I've never really paid attention to them until recently--they rarely license shows I'm interested in.


Give it time. It'll happen for both.
7024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Washington DC
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

BlueOni wrote:


GifGaffeGiraffe wrote:

Are we sure that they're actually going to release a box-set? Because if Madoka's release is any indication, they're totally content to just leave you to buy the show four episodes at a time. Have they released a show in this kind of fragmented way in the past? I assumed they almost always just split it into two exceedingly expensive parts. I've never really paid attention to them until recently--they rarely license shows I'm interested in.


Give it time. It'll happen for both.


I sincerely hope. Kill la Kill was one of favorites in years, but I can't drop $200 like that...Also, I hate to be a pessimist, but I am quick to point out that it's been two years since they've released Madoka and they have yet to do that.

I am really curious to know if they've ever done something like this in the past.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 5/28/14

GifGaffeGiraffe wrote:

I sincerely hope. Kill la Kill was one of favorites in years, but I can't drop $200 like that...Also, I hate to be a pessimist, but I am quick to point out that it's been two years since they've released Madoka and they have yet to do that.

I am really curious to know if they've ever done something like this in the past.


Fullmetal Alchemist was initially released in segments, and is now available in whole season box sets. This precedent gives reason to believe that other major titles in AoA's library, to include Madoka and Kill la Kill will receive similar treatment.
22406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 5/28/14 , edited 5/28/14
No no no no no. And it's not the voice actors, they're just fine as can fucking be... sort of. They used a lot of B-list VA's because, B-list is underutiilized. I can't hate on them for improving the industry by using new voice actors, that's great. But, same with Madoka Magika here, REALLY? You're using newer Voices on the High end Tripple A licences? Why? Now Ryuko? No problem. Satsuki? She'll easily grow into it. The Elite 4? You had better choices, but you didn't make bad ones.

But the Voice Director, is he even at work? Is he deaf? Is he indecisive perhaps? DId you forget to fire him last week and now you're kinda waiting for the right moment to tell him?

Because he isn't doing his job very well. Are you going to Localize Kill la Kill or not?
The voice of Senketsu is really off, unless teenaged father figure is your goal. And you've decided to go with the silent 'U' which, while not required, is rather standard in Japanese. That's not to big a deal.
But you decided on reversing Name order?

Edit: i decided to use a keyboard and my Ps3 to type this respobse, in which thsi deserves a proper response over something more than a phone in which i typo and fix poorly a lot. But that stopped about so many lines in because reasobs, so phone edit ranting.

You reversed the name order? For a japanese setting? When you can HEAR the awkwardness of Satsuki Kiryuin? How about reading the name in whole and having your VAs practice it? They will certianly practice, but shouldn't the Voice director give direction?

AND ANOTHER MORE IMPORTANT THING.

You are marketing to the Anime crowd no the casual watcher. How do i know? YOU ARE CHARGING AN ARM AND A LEG. Perhaps you can localize less in your dub, knowing only the more hardcore watcher will actually buy it, you overpricing jackass.

Look at Funimation and Sentai filmworks. Fucking look. FUNimation goes full localization. They change name order, use english pronunciation, and let their characters swear and such. Luffy talks with a cryde and rude form of Japanese, but sounds nice. So they making him a nice guy who swears a lot, that is fine. They localized it.

Sentai? Opposite. They dobt localize even an inch, knowing only hardcore fans will buy the dvds anyways. Mysterious Girlfriend X goes so far as to keep Honorifics in the dub, YOU HEARD ME! They know their viewers and cater to them.

So, are you really going middle ground here Aniplex? That works in SAO and Gurren Laggan, the honorific-lacking focus on general coolness shows. It works ib Magi.

But on Kill la kill, a show with a overwhelmingly crazy translating name, set in high school, in the 80s of Japan, and going half way on the dub?

Im a huge Dub advocate, so this makes me mad. Stupid decisions makes me mad.

The only thing worse than a bad dub, is a almost great but you ruined it in small ways. If they call Gamagooris Shackle Regalia "Bondage Armor" ima lost my shit.

And yes, the "Shibari no Sou" translates to bondage. Just b more subtle. Shibari means "to bind" and is slang for bondage. The 2nd form, Shibaki no Sou" translates "to Strike" and is slang for Spanking.
So it is the Binding and Striking armor as well as the Bondage and Spanking armor.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.