First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
South Korean has Plastic Surgery to look like Miranda Kerr
Posted 5/29/14

SoldierSangria wrote:


severticas wrote:

isee you never get tired of making topics like this


As long as it persists, I never will be tired of discussing it. What other topics have I made just like this one? I can't remember.


i got into trouble before with Lorreen for pointing out something before it become obvious so i don't wannnna xD
47269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/29/14 , edited 5/29/14


How is that? What about it makes no sense exactly?
2564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Salt Lake City, Utah
Offline
Posted 5/29/14


But there are asians out there with naturally paler or whiter skin, they're born with it. I think that the stereotypical asian with having slightly dark or tannish skin is too much of a misconception these days. In areas of Northern China, and parts of South Korea along with Japan have fairly pale skin because they were born with it. Not to mention they probably stay out of the sun more, because typically if you live in these areas you will know that the sun is the archenemy of good skin, so they stay out of the sun, but when they are out you will typically see people covering up as much as possible. Asians from these areas are always a lot more cautious around the sun doing many things to try to protect from it. They use things like these.



But I will agree with you on Some trying to look like another race, but that applies to everyone not just asians.
28029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
? / ? / ?
Offline
Posted 5/29/14 , edited 5/29/14


There's an old saying "If you nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." and while you are entitled to your own opinion, as well as freedom of though, speech, and belief, by insulting another human being and aiming at their obvious insecurity, you are no better than a bully. Sure, everyone dislikes lots of people, I have to deal with people I hate on a daily basis, however I don't go up to them and call them derogatory terms, because I know that I wouldn't like that.

The main point is that this thread originally stated something along the lines of "Why cant they just feel good about themselves" and the reason for that is when people are clearly aiming to insult them, they aren't going to feel good about anything, and that leads to their insecurity which leads to drastic measure which leads to more people who insulting them. People cant feel good about themselves if all they hear is hate.

I guess a good quote for you is

Be filled with emotion, but remain undisturbed.
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/29/14

SoldierSangria wrote:
especially as a person of Asian ethnicity (Filipino-American, brown skin, typical "Asian" eyes), and it disgusts me to the core.


Filipinos have big eyes O_O
Posted 5/29/14 , edited 5/31/14

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


SoldierSangria wrote:
especially as a person of Asian ethnicity (Filipino-American, brown skin, typical "Asian" eyes), and it disgusts me to the core.


Filipinos have big eyes O_O


Not me. And while a lot do, there are some who don't.


severticas wrote:


SoldierSangria wrote:


severticas wrote:

isee you never get tired of making topics like this


As long as it persists, I never will be tired of discussing it. What other topics have I made just like this one? I can't remember.


i got into trouble before with Lorreen for pointing out something before it become obvious so i don't wannnna xD


Uh?

Posted 5/29/14
The Asians who do plastic surgery to look WHITE are a small few. Such as this one.


the MAJORITY of South Koreans who undergo plastic surgery do it because they want to have bigger eyes, smaller face, and higher nose. None of these features are EXCLUSIVE to Caucasians. Many Asians have naturally pointy nose, big eyes and a small face ALREADY.
Tarya 
52847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Virginia, US
Offline
Posted 5/29/14
So reading through some statistics, S. Korea has a high rate of plastic surgery based on population. At least based on this article from statistics in 2009:
http://www.asianplasticsurgeryguide.com/news10-2/081003_south-korea-highest.html

South Korea had 365,000 procedures out of their population of 49,232,000 in 2009.

While this equates to roughly 74 in 10,000 under going plastic surgery, saying it this way makes it seem like a high statistic.
But broken down by percentage of population this is not even 1% of the S. Korean population that has undergone plastic surgery (it is actually only 0.74% of the population).
And the numbers get even smaller in other Asian countries.

I feel most would agree that this is a relatively small number and far from epidemic or excessive.

By the way, here are the statistics in the USA broken down by nationality and number/type of surgeries for 2013.
http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Documents/news-resources/statistics/2013-statistics/cosmetic-procedures-ethnicity.pdf
I found it interesting to note that 70% of the plastic surgeries in the USA last year were Caucasian equaling over 10 million surgeries.

Based on the numbers shown, I think the US has a way bigger problem with body image than all of Asia combined...
17710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 5/30/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

Both Paris and Kim are disgusting to me in many ways...Especially Paris in terms of how unattractive her face is.

Yet, blond hair and blue eyes is the greatest ideal, and if someone who had those traits went to a place in Asia, they'd almost always be fawned over.

Come now, this has been proven time and time again. There are many articles and videos (etc) discussing this that are available to see. There was a video I came across on Youtube (one of many) discussing the difference in treatment between a black teacher, and her blond haired, blue eyed friend who came to teach in South Korea. Guess who got treated exceptionally well and got a load of job offers?

And when you say they (Koreans) find foreign women beautiful, we all know it is only limited to whites. At least 99% of the time.
Maybe the reason why people get plastic surgery is because of comments like this. I heard in Korean culture, strangers will not hesitate to shame someone for their looks. This has been proven time and time again. There are many articles and videos discussing this that are available to see. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Korea+body+shame
21524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Houston
Offline
Posted 5/30/14
Live and let live. I don't care about whether or not others touch up their bodies to feel better about themselves. If that's what they want to do, then more power to them. Do what makes you happy. I feel I'm perceptive enough to realize that it has little to do with me.
22064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/30/14
Rats, I missed the election again? Congrats on making "Spokesperson for all of Asia"...I'm always happy to see people lump all of those unique countries, with their own interests, cultures, and agendas into one big pile. You probably won't smooth out what islands are owned by whom ( I know, shocking that the "Asians" can't even figure out what territories are theirs, when they should know they are just one big group with no identity of their own), but hopefully you can settle for everyone what their ideal self image should be.

Seems there will always be people ready to proclaim what is right and wrong for everyone else, when perhaps the best thing is to keep their eyes on their own plate. Or maybe even on their own table, if they can't keep their eyes from wandering. If one is Filipino, I guess you can be concerned with things relevant to those in the Philippines, but I know plenty of Koreans who would laugh at the thought that that same person would champion or try to judge for them what is right and wrong for them, and especially for the entirety of Korea. I think the biggest problem is that you proclaim yourself as a "Filipino-American", so as often occurs in America, you conveniently throw ALL Asians together, like it's all one big country. I'm sure you've perhaps actually been there, or maybe follow the news...it's not, not really (fun fact: "Asia" is actually made up of a multitude of countries, separate, unique entities that consider themselves to be their own people, often their own "race", and do not usually enjoy being considered the same as everyone else in the region). Actually, many are pretty happy to prove ways that they are NOT connected to each other, than to stand together as "Asians".


Whites are simply and absolutely worshiped in South Korea. (Many parts of Asia of course, but I'm sticking to SK for this topic).

You go to South Korea as a non-white and you'll notice either major or subtle differences in how you are treated as opposed to how a white/fair skinned person is treated.

You go to South Korea as a non-white Teacher and you'll notice you'll have a harder time getting a job/getting treated and well known. They want whit teachers almost always, because apparently the West is only filled with the glorious whites, and that is the wonderful ideal for the children to look up to.

If they marry a foreigner, you can bet that 99% of the time that person will be white. They run after whites not only in looks, but in love too. Get those cute and therefore "better" mixed children, right?


Did you experience this and witness this all yourself, or just rely on the internet for second/third/fifth hand anecdotal tales of such things? Your judgmental and racist views aren't really all that shocking (because this IS the internet, after all), it's rather unfortunate, though. I think a bigger problem for "Asia" and "Asians" than plastic surgery is the internet, where their ability to flame and attack behind anonymity allows for all sorts of bigoted, nationalistic, and racist nonsense to be posted. Quite frankly, that right there is what disgusts me to the core.
22647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/30/14
Not that it's indicative of anything in particular, but when I was in South Korea the women there were generally obsessed with my skin being that I'm a white guy. But not only am I white, I'm white. I don't tan much, even when out in the sun for long periods, so I don't have that darker tanned look many people are accustomed to.

I dated a girl there for a while and I remember from one day while we were out her and her friend were sitting there talking about my skin while she rubbed my arm. I kind of felt like a specimen in a jar during that conversation. It was a bit uncomfortable.

I think it just comes down to people being attracted to what they don't have. Look at accents; someone from England might think nothing of an English accent, but bring them to the US and all of a sudden they're a stud. The same goes with appearances, really.

Anyway, take this for what you will.
37244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/14

bserria wrote:

When you lose who you are to become someone else is just beyond sad.


But what if you are using plastic surgery not to become someone else, but rather to look how you envision yourself?
14028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Orlando, US
Offline
Posted 5/30/14
I just want to ask if you have ever actually been to South Korea. While the media and people like to spread "Oh this South Korean got another extreme surgery to look like -xx-" it -really- does not happen as often as you think it does. I can say most of my friends in South Korea aren't into plastic surgery. They've never had anything done and don't plan to.

You remember that article that people were posting, where it was a bunch of those South Korean pageant models that all supposedly got plastic surgery and looked really similar? Yeah, that wasn't their fault. Blame Photoshop and the photographer, the majority of those girls didn't have plastic surgery done.

You can claim to know about South Korea, but have you lived there? I was raised in South Korea, it is my home. And while my mother did get plastic surgery, you want to know why she did it? She had just gotten a divorce with my father, and she was 46 years old. Just because she's South Korean it had NO reason on why she got plastic surgery, just as some other South Koreans may get plastic surgery for personal reasons or medical reasons. You never know what people are thinking, you never know what struggles people go through.
Posted 5/30/14
Isn't it human nature to want what we don't have and can never have? Having been surrounded by people who were horribly overly-obssessed with their looks for years, I realized that some people just tend to want to have features that are biologically impossible for them to have. They want foreign features but not because they wanted to look European or African or Asian. They wanted to have foreign features because they find it exoti and fascinating. Because man, black hair is so freaking boring everyone has it so I'm coloring my hair green. That doesn't mean I want to be a banshee though. I just happen to like the color green. I think it's all just a case of people's tendency to think that the grass is greener on the other side.

And while I have a negative opinion on altering your body for vanity's sake. I couldn't care less whatever people do to their bodies and if it makes them happy, even if they harm themselves because of their decisions, then who am I to tell them what can and cannot make them happy?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.