First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
South Korean has Plastic Surgery to look like Miranda Kerr
23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 5/30/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

Ah, but it is a huge Asian problem



AGREED
Posted 5/30/14
It has become a major trend in korea but once so eone whose looks is natural but not that pretty(ugly to be considered in s.korea) those people(ugly per se) will be bullied to death. Most females or males u dergo surgery as to societal pressure and also in other countries, s.korean who migrated are also being bullied as to why they look ugly(cause the perception of s.korean people now are cute and stuff) and those(again,ugly s.korean) people, goes back to their birth country to get surgery.

Not trying to defend anyone since this is a matter of opinion for me, BULLYING is worse in S.Korea, that leads to unwilling suicide(though most suicides are unwilling but in this case, the reason is entirely different)....

Im also asian, so any reaction to my statement will be appreciated(just not,wrong grammar and spellings,okay? Okay,,)
10205 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / The MOOOON
Offline
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/30/14
Meh. people should be able to do whatever they like with their bodies.
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/30/14

Striketh wrote:

Not that it's indicative of anything in particular, but when I was in South Korea the women there were generally obsessed with my skin being that I'm a white guy. But not only am I white, I'm white. I don't tan much, even when out in the sun for long periods, so I don't have that darker tanned look many people are accustomed to.

I dated a girl there for a while and I remember from one day while we were out her and her friend were sitting there talking about my skin while she rubbed my arm. I kind of felt like a specimen in a jar during that conversation. It was a bit uncomfortable.

I think it just comes down to people being attracted to what they don't have. Look at accents; someone from England might think nothing of an English accent, but bring them to the US and all of a sudden they're a stud. The same goes with appearances, really.

Anyway, take this for what you will.


You're albino white or paler than a band-aid white?
22583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/14

onibrotonel wrote:


Striketh wrote:

Not that it's indicative of anything in particular, but when I was in South Korea the women there were generally obsessed with my skin being that I'm a white guy. But not only am I white, I'm white. I don't tan much, even when out in the sun for long periods, so I don't have that darker tanned look many people are accustomed to.

I dated a girl there for a while and I remember from one day while we were out her and her friend were sitting there talking about my skin while she rubbed my arm. I kind of felt like a specimen in a jar during that conversation. It was a bit uncomfortable.

I think it just comes down to people being attracted to what they don't have. Look at accents; someone from England might think nothing of an English accent, but bring them to the US and all of a sudden they're a stud. The same goes with appearances, really.

Anyway, take this for what you will.


You're albino white or paler than a band-aid white?


I'm not quite albino, but I'm pretty close. Jokes have been made about people not knowing where my socks ended and my legs began.
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/31/14

Gyava wrote:


SoldierSangria wrote:

Ah, but it is a huge Asian problem


AGREED


You're one of the very few people on here not afraid of stating that. Seriously, people on here seem to be trying their hardest to justify.


noirealise wrote:

I just want to ask if you have ever actually been to South Korea. While the media and people like to spread "Oh this South Korean got another extreme surgery to look like -xx-" it -really- does not happen as often as you think it does. I can say most of my friends in South Korea aren't into plastic surgery. They've never had anything done and don't plan to.

You remember that article that people were posting, where it was a bunch of those South Korean pageant models that all supposedly got plastic surgery and looked really similar? Yeah, that wasn't their fault. Blame Photoshop and the photographer, the majority of those girls didn't have plastic surgery done.

You can claim to know about South Korea, but have you lived there? I was raised in South Korea, it is my home. And while my mother did get plastic surgery, you want to know why she did it? She had just gotten a divorce with my father, and she was 46 years old. Just because she's South Korean it had NO reason on why she got plastic surgery, just as some other South Koreans may get plastic surgery for personal reasons or medical reasons. You never know what people are thinking, you never know what struggles people go through.


I personally have not been; however, my uncle and his wife have, and have lived there for some years before leaving. I know many recent Korean immigrants and Koreans who are studying abroad as well.

Once you get these people talking, they'll spill.

You get tons of videos from people living in South Korea (easily accessible by Youtube) who discuss this problem as well - foreigners of any race other than Korean especially. Every single one of them seems incredibly surprised and shocked by the sheer amount of plastic surgery done, and the amount of social pressure to do so.

Come now...When something like this is so well known outside of the society, and upon going to that society discovering it is not just a stupid stereotype...You KNOW it is a problem.

People on here are just trying to justify as usual, or trying hard to be politically correct. You become the villain for pointing out and discussing sensitive topics, yet the problem continues to thrive and be "socially accepted" even though it is unhealthy for people.

18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/30/14
I believed Rain got rejected by most of the music companies because he did not have double-eyelids.

In the beginning, members thought Daesung was just perceived as just a "talent."


I think this topic is already been discussed here in the CR forum thread. But, meh, lets go with the flow.
Posted 5/30/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

I personally have not been; however, my uncle and his wife have, and have lived there for some years before leaving. I know many recent Korean immigrants and Koreans who are studying abroad as well.

Once you get these people talking, they'll spill.

You get tons of videos from people living in South Korea (easily accessible by Youtube) who discuss this problem as well - foreigners of any race other than Korean especially. Every single one of them seems incredibly surprised and shocked by the sheer amount of plastic surgery done, and the amount of social pressure to do so.

Come now...When something like this is so well known outside of the society, and upon going to that society discovering it is not just a stupid stereotype...You KNOW it is a problem.

People on here are just trying to justify as usual, or trying hard to be politically correct. You become the villain for pointing out and discussing sensitive topics, yet the problem continues to thrive and be "socially accepted" even though it is unhealthy for people.


The problem here isn't you talking about a "sensitive" issue, the problem here is you stating a non-factual statement. And then when people counter-argue with facts, you paint yourself as the "villain"?

You make it sound like the majority of South Korean women who undergo plastic surgery is because they want to look Caucasian; when that's not really the case at all. There's like 1 or 2 of them who want to look Caucasian.

The majority of them want to look PRETTIER, that means getting a double eyelid or whatever. Last time I checked, having a double eyelid is not exclusive to Caucasian, it's a feature seen in literally every race of humans.


You bring down the South Korean plastic surgery patients, yet you praise the White ones for not wanting to look outside of their race. I'm pretty sure there are few cases where White people want to look Asian. Yet you don't bring this into the discussion.
Posted 5/30/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

The problem here isn't you talking about a "sensitive" issue, the problem here is you stating a non-factual statement. And then when people counter-argue with facts, you paint yourself as the "villain"?

You make it sound like the majority of South Korean women who undergo plastic surgery is because they want to look Caucasian; when that's not really the case at all. There's like 1 or 2 of them who want to look Caucasian.

The majority of them want to look PRETTIER, that means getting a double eyelid or whatever. Last time I checked, having a double eyelid is not exclusive to Caucasian, it's a feature seen in literally every race of humans.


You bring down the South Korean plastic surgery patients, yet you praise the White ones for not wanting to look outside of their race. I'm pretty sure there are few cases where White people want to look Asian. Yet you don't bring this into the discussion.


I'm not painting myself as a villain - others on here are doing so. I just put it in words for them.

The fact is a lot of Korean (or even Asians in general) they like the Caucasian look, they want to have that "Western" look (which is a white look). The white-Caucasian look is quite often desired, and quite often liked a lot. Beyond the double eyelid, they want stereotypical white looks (or how they perceive how whites look) - narrower face, raised nose, etc. Non-dark hair, non-dark eyes.

I've said it before myself in one of my previous posts. Double eyelids are not exclusive to the white race. Some on here forget I stated that.

I don't know where you're getting me "praising whites" because I'm not. All I stated was that (when someone mentioned whites) I said where do you get white people who want to look Asian? And to the extent that an Asian wants to look white?

Which is true. It is always the reverse and that is ridiculous. My point was that if a white person can be happy with how their race looks, why can't an Asian?

Posted 5/30/14

SoldierSangria wrote:
I'm not painting myself as a villain - others on here are doing so. I just put it in words for them.

The fact is a lot of Korean (or even Asians in general) they like the Caucasian look, they want to have that "Western" look (which is a white look). The white-Caucasian look is quite often desired, and quite often liked a lot. Beyond the double eyelid, they want stereotypical white looks (or how they perceive how whites look) - narrower face, raised nose, etc. Non-dark hair, non-dark eyes.

I've said it before myself in one of my previous posts. Double eyelids are not exclusive to the white race. Some on here forget I stated that.

I don't know where you're getting me "praising whites" because I'm not. All I stated was that (when someone mentioned whites) I said where do you get white people who want to look Asian? And to the extent that an Asian wants to look white?

Which is true. It is always the reverse and that is ridiculous. My point was that if a white person can be happy with how their race looks, why can't an Asian?




Beyond the double eyelid, they want stereotypical white looks (or how they perceive how whites look) - narrower face, raised nose, etc. Non-dark hair, non-dark eyes.


This is what I don't get though. Do some Asians not have a "narrow" face? Or a "raised nose"? These features are not exclusive to White/Caucasians.
Many Asian women want to be "taller"... does that mean they want to be "White" too?

The point I'm trying to make is... being "tall" isn't exclusive to Caucasian or being this trait or that trait. Most of them are tall, but tallness exists within the Asian population, too. Just like some Asians naturally have a narrow face or a raised nose. It has nothing to do with White people.


The majority of White people just happen to naturally have the ideals of what Asian people want. But that doesn't mean they want to be White. Those South Koreans' idealized beauty might be the idealized Asian features (which includes a narrow face, pointy nose, double eyelids, paler skin)... not necessarily they WANT to be White. Otherwise all of them would stop speaking Korean and start speaking English as the first language, and no longer eat rice.
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/30/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

This is what I don't get though. Do some Asians not have a "narrow" face? Or a "raised nose"? These features are not exclusive to White/Caucasians.
Many Asian women want to be "taller"... does that mean they want to be "White" too?

The point I'm trying to make is... being "tall" isn't exclusive to Caucasian or being this trait or that trait. Most of them are tall, but tallness exists within the Asian population, too. Just like some Asians naturally have a narrow face or a raised nose. It has nothing to do with White people.


The majority of White people just happen to naturally have the ideals of what Asian people want. But that doesn't mean they want to be White. Those South Koreans' idealized beauty might be the idealized Asian features (which includes a narrow face, pointy nose, double eyelids, paler skin)... not necessarily they WANT to be White. Otherwise all of them would stop speaking Korean and start speaking English as the first language, and no longer eat rice.



Like I said, for Asians it is the "stereotypical white" look - how whites appear to them.

There are Asians who of course have narrower faces, double-eyelids big eyes, raised noses, etc. so of course the look is not exclusive to whites/Europeans or people of the Caucasian race in general (Middle Eastern people, Indians etc.) The thing is however, even with those aforementioned traits, you can still tell they are Asian, and they are not of the Caucasian race. The features of the race are still there.

Even though Asians on the whole are shorter/slighter, there are Asians who are tall and - like you said - the feature is not exclusive to the Caucasian race. Some who are of the Caucasian race - like Italians, are many times shorter than let's say, Dutch people.

I think the thing is that Asians want to keep their own culture...But they really idealize and many a time do want the white/European features. After all, pale skin has always been a part of Asian culture - just add on non-dark hair, non-dark eyes of many Europeans and perhaps that look becomes rather desirable to Asians.

You lampshaded that yourself when you stated, "The majority of White people just happen to naturally have the ideals of what Asian people want.
17747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 5/30/14
i dont really see a problem with body modification.
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/30/14
I completely agree with you. I feel a little disappointed, but I'll respect their decision, as long as they're happy with it. It's not my body, after all.

But talk about creepy fan girl status...
16761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/30/14
I would say that saying koreans try to imitate the look of anime characters would be a more accurate statement than to say they try to imitate specifically white people. I mean, the korean ideal look is someone with long limbs, small torso, large eyes, narrow faces; pretty much your typical shoujo anime character. There is even a saying in korea that (someone) is as pretty like a cartoon character (literal translation, as they are refering to mangas, anime and manhwa).
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 5/30/14 , edited 5/30/14
i got a headache from reading this post. I dont see why it should bother you. People have the right to do what they want to do. Who gives a toot if it doesn't float your boat. If it makes them happy, let them do it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.