First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Anticipation and Discussion
Posted 4/5/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Just gonna warn people if you are coming into this hoping for a Haruhi level experience you aren't going to get one, the manga is pretty much all slice of life and rom-com besides from a few parts that tie in the original series.


I wasn't expecting Haruhi 3 or anything (I don't even know if I would want that to be honest), but as far as I'm aware this is supposed to be a spin-off. And seeing how neither the returning characters keep the charm that made them stand out in the original series, but are pretty much just people with the same name that sort of (but not really) look similar, I have to question why this is even presented as a spin-off and not an original series.
And that isn't all. From what I have seen in episode one I don't think that this will be a particularly good slice of life RomCom. It just bored me to tears, there wasn't a single good joke in there and I don't think that the characters were all that appealing. In addition to that, it also looks rather bad from a visual point of view.
I'll be sticking with this for the moment, at least until Aya Hirano shows up, but if the show hasn't improved a lot by the time we get there, I might be dropping this like a hot stone. Because honestly, that just wasn't a very good first episode.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/5/15

Okocha119 wrote:


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Just gonna warn people if you are coming into this hoping for a Haruhi level experience you aren't going to get one, the manga is pretty much all slice of life and rom-com besides from a few parts that tie in the original series.


I wasn't expecting Haruhi 3 or anything (I don't even know if I would want that to be honest), but as far as I'm aware this is supposed to be a spin-off. And seeing how neither the returning characters keep the charm that made them stand out in the original series, but are pretty much just people with the same name that sort of (but not really) look similar, I have to question why this is even presented as a spin-off and not an original series.
And that isn't all. From what I have seen in episode one I don't think that this will be a particularly good slice of life RomCom. It just bored me to tears, there wasn't a single good joke in there and I don't think that the characters were all that appealing. In addition to that, it also looks rather bad from a visual point of view.
I'll be sticking with this for the moment, at least until Aya Hirano shows up, but if the show hasn't improved a lot by the time we get there, I might be dropping this like a hot stone. Because honestly, that just wasn't a very good first episode.



Well it is a spin-off in the sense it displays the life of human Nagato, which is what I like about it. We get to watch Nagato grow as a person and live the life that she wanted to have with Kyon in the film but ultimately couldn't obtain. Whether you actually like the slice of life nature of the show is simply going to come down to taste. Personally, I like it but I can totally understand why you wouldn't be into it. I will say it gets better when Haruhi joins then (shouldn't take too long) as we get to see Kyon and Haruhi fight like they do in the original series. I really like Haruhi in this series as it is quite fun to watch her react to Nagato's outbursts involving her feelings for Kyon. It gives you a little more insight into Haruhi's own feelings for Kyon that were at times a little ambiguous in the original series. If the supernatural aspects of the show were what you were hoping to see then I'm sorry but there little to none of it in here(Asakura isn't even a crazy murdering alien!) The most I've seen in it so far from reading the manga is few jokes about the supernatural elements in the show and one arc where things get a little serious.
64898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Seattle
Online
Posted 4/5/15
Episode 1

Take away the craziness and the supernatural and you get a typical slice of life show, one with more realism than with MHS. This incarnation of Yuki is shy and socially awkward, and she is surrounded by some helpful friends. So Christmas is coming and all that really happened is that the party is happening in the clubroom. That certainly is quite the shift in mood there compared to what I have come to expect when Haruhi is involved.
Posted 4/6/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Well it is a spin-off in the sense it displays the life of human Nagato, which is what I like about it. We get to watch Nagato grow as a person and live the life that she wanted to have with Kyon in the film but ultimately couldn't obtain. Whether you actually like the slice of life nature of the show is simply going to come down to taste. Personally, I like it but I can totally understand why you wouldn't be into it. I will say it gets better when Haruhi joins then (shouldn't take too long) as we get to see Kyon and Haruhi fight like they do in the original series. I really like Haruhi in this series as it is quite fun to watch her react to Nagato's outbursts involving her feelings for Kyon. It gives you a little more insight into Haruhi's own feelings for Kyon that were at times a little ambiguous in the original series. If the supernatural aspects of the show were what you were hoping to see then I'm sorry but there little to none of it in here(Asakura isn't even a crazy murdering alien!) The most I've seen in it so far from reading the manga is few jokes about the supernatural elements in the show and one arc where things get a little serious.


Again, I wasn't looking for Haruhi 3. I was expecting a slice of life revolving around the characters from the original show. And I don't feel that that is what this show is giving me (so far). I am not one of the people that fell in love with Disappearance Nagato, but as far as I know her characters appeal came down to her being shy and timid. However, that's not what I am seeing in this series at all, she just feels like a completely different character. Sure, she is still shy, but it's a different kind of shyness. Honestly the way she acts just seems borderline retarded and overly moefied and that is not what the original character was about at all. Give her an instrument and she could very well just join the cast of K-On!.
Similar things can be said about Kyon, but I am placing my hopes into him changing once Haruhi comes around, so I am not gonna pass judgement on that for now.
I just don't get why you would make a spin-off about a character when you are gonna ignore all the things that made said character interesting or likeable in the first place.

I don't dislike meaningless slice of life, in fact I would call myself a fan of the genre. But I am not seeing the appeal to this one bit. It's not that I have a problem with a show centered around Nagato being more human and exploring her romantic feelings, I wouldn't have picked up this show if I did, because that's exactly what it said on the tin. I just don't see the appeal to this. It's badly animated, the characters are neither the ones you have probably started watching this show for nor are they very appealing regardless and the jokes the first episode had to offer just didn't work for me at all. As I stated before, I won't say this is utter trash, I have only watched one episode, that would be grossly overstated, but I can say that I don't like the look of this so far.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/6/15

Okocha119 wrote:


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Well it is a spin-off in the sense it displays the life of human Nagato, which is what I like about it. We get to watch Nagato grow as a person and live the life that she wanted to have with Kyon in the film but ultimately couldn't obtain. Whether you actually like the slice of life nature of the show is simply going to come down to taste. Personally, I like it but I can totally understand why you wouldn't be into it. I will say it gets better when Haruhi joins then (shouldn't take too long) as we get to see Kyon and Haruhi fight like they do in the original series. I really like Haruhi in this series as it is quite fun to watch her react to Nagato's outbursts involving her feelings for Kyon. It gives you a little more insight into Haruhi's own feelings for Kyon that were at times a little ambiguous in the original series. If the supernatural aspects of the show were what you were hoping to see then I'm sorry but there little to none of it in here(Asakura isn't even a crazy murdering alien!) The most I've seen in it so far from reading the manga is few jokes about the supernatural elements in the show and one arc where things get a little serious.


Again, I wasn't looking for Haruhi 3. I was expecting a slice of life revolving around the characters from the original show. And I don't feel that that is what this show is giving me (so far). I am not one of the people that fell in love with Disappearance Nagato, but as far as I know her characters appeal came down to her being shy and timid. However, that's not what I am seeing in this series at all, she just feels like a completely different character. Sure, she is still shy, but it's a different kind of shyness. Honestly the way she acts just seems borderline retarded and overly moefied and that is not what the original character was about at all. Give her an instrument and she could very well just join the cast of K-On!.
Similar things can be said about Kyon, but I am placing my hopes into him changing once Haruhi comes around, so I am not gonna pass judgement on that for now.
I just don't get why you would make a spin-off about a character when you are gonna ignore all the things that made said character interesting or likeable in the first place.

I don't dislike meaningless slice of life, in fact I would call myself a fan of the genre. But I am not seeing the appeal to this one bit. It's not that I have a problem with a show centered around Nagato being more human and exploring her romantic feelings, I wouldn't have picked up this show if I did, because that's exactly what it said on the tin. I just don't see the appeal to this. It's badly animated, the characters are neither the ones you have probably started watching this show for nor are they very appealing regardless and the jokes the first episode had to offer just didn't work for me at all. As I stated before, I won't say this is utter trash, I have only watched one episode, that would be grossly overstated, but I can say that I don't like the look of this so far.




Well like I said in my previous comment she essentially is a different character, this is the human Nagato without any attachment to her previous self. Since you say you weren't a huge fan of the Disappearance film it's quite clear you wont enjoy this as much as someone like me considering the fact that the the main reason I like this series is that we get to watch Nagato live her life without being forced endlessly survey Haruhi (see the bs Endless Eight arc if you don't understand what I mean). Besides Nagato I don't see why any of the characters are turning you off, they all act pretty much the same as they did in the original just within a moe, slice of life setting. However, the story isn't going to drastically change any time soon so to be fair you probably wont like the rest of the series. I've not read all of the manga yet but I'm up to volume 6 and besides from one particular arc it's still staying the moe course.
Posted 4/6/15

Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Well like I said in my previous comment she essentially is a different character, this is the human Nagato without any attachment to her previous self.


No offense, but I don't think that you are reading my posts. Disappearance showed as a very human Nagato. I wanted a spin-off centered around that character. I don't feel like I got that. That is what I said in my previous post.


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Since you say you weren't a huge fan of the Disappearance film


Waaaaait, back off. I didn't say that. The Disappearance is one of my favourite movies of all times, a masterpiece all things considered. I even said that in this thread. Don't go making stuff up.


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

it's quite clear you wont enjoy this as much as someone like me considering the fact that the the main reason I like this series is that we get to watch Nagato live her life without being forced endlessly survey Haruhi (see the bs Endless Eight arc if you don't understand what I mean).


I know what you mean. Of course I do. Again, this is why I picked up the show in the first place. I said so in my last post ...


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

you probably wont like the rest of the series [...] it's still staying the moe course.


*sigh* Again, I like Moe. That is not my problem with this. I could watch K-On! all god damn day. For one, I don't think that this is very good Moe. In addition, I don't see the point in a Moe spin-off if being Moe forces you to abandon all of the strengths, including the characters of Nagato and Kyon (so far), that the original had, but still limits you in a lot of ways.

Alright, discussion over, I don't see this getting anywhere. I just think that this was a bad episode and my hopes for this show are looking bleak. If you like this, all the power to you, I won't be here trying to ruin your enjoyment.
14361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Shortbread Land
Offline
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 4/6/15

Okocha119 wrote:


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Well like I said in my previous comment she essentially is a different character, this is the human Nagato without any attachment to her previous self.


No offense, but I don't think that you are reading my posts. Disappearance showed as a very human Nagato. I wanted a spin-off centered around that character. I don't feel like I got that. That is what I said in my previous post.


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

Since you say you weren't a huge fan of the Disappearance film


Waaaaait, back off. I didn't say that. The Disappearance is one of my favourite movies of all times, a masterpiece all things considered. I even said that in this thread. Don't go making stuff up.


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

it's quite clear you wont enjoy this as much as someone like me considering the fact that the the main reason I like this series is that we get to watch Nagato live her life without being forced endlessly survey Haruhi (see the bs Endless Eight arc if you don't understand what I mean).


I know what you mean. Of course I do. Again, this is why I picked up the show in the first place. I said so in my last post ...


Charlieandthetrollingfactory wrote:

you probably wont like the rest of the series [...] it's still staying the moe course.


*sigh* Again, I like Moe. That is not my problem with this. I could watch K-On! all god damn day. For one, I don't think that this is very good Moe. In addition, I don't see the point in a Moe spin-off if being Moe forces you to abandon all of the strengths, including the characters of Nagato and Kyon (so far), that the original had, but still limits you in a lot of ways.

Alright, discussion over, I don't see this getting anywhere. I just think that this was a bad episode and my hopes for this show are looking bleak. If you like this, all the power to you, I won't be here trying to ruin your enjoyment.



Of course it isn't going to go anywhere, it wasn't like I was trying to convince you to like it. Of course I read your post but 1) I know you want a spin-off of that style of Nagato and I explained why you aren't likely to get it 2) If you don't like the moe in this show then that's totally fair enough, it's your own opinion. I don't agree they have abandoned "all of the strengths" of the original and there's no way you can really say they have after only watching one episode.
61560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
oh the salt being spilt... it's delicious...
Posted 4/6/15

aidenraine wrote:

oh the salt being spilt... it's delicious...




Gotta make sure that the crew doesn't run out of salt.
89 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Hyrule
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
All I can say to you with your hilarious outburst is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKuE5-pEo2Y
729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
OK so I've watched the first episode... Really not what I was expecting, I knew it was a spin off from the alt reality from the movie but wow, the personalitys are so different its hard to get used to. Especially Yuki who is a totally diferant character.... I was hoping the anime would just give a more human tone to her, but she is so lively its weird to watch. Not sure I like it tbh but I'll keep watching.
120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
For a first episode I felt it was somehow lacking in explanation. Even though I'm familiar with the characters and setting I still felt confused... I don't recall the manga starting off so disorganized. The part where they go crazy competing on the shopping street felt forced and awkward.

But I had fun watching the rest of it, I honestly want to see more. Kyon and Yuki-with-emotions and Ryoko are what I look forward to. Although I'm worried the reason I really want to see the next episode is if is organized better.

I don't have any big problems with the art style personally.
Le_Dom 
16895 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 4/6/15 , edited 4/6/15
So if there's anyone like me who decided to patiently wait instead of watching fansubs, it's finally out on Funimation's website.
I'm assuming (by which I mean hoping) that Blood Blockade Battlefront will follow suit soon enough
32462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
I just watched it on Funi and really enjoyed it.
13811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M
Offline
Posted 4/6/15
Its gonna start slow, I would give it at least 3 episodes. I thought Yuki was sweet, but Im hoping Ryoko steps it up a notch.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.