First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Is anime too perfect?
The Wise Wizard
99927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 5/31/14

hpi wrote:

He gave examples like the school in Madoka Magica and also how unattractive anime characters are few and far between.

Have him watch Flowers of Evil or Ping Pong.

3215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 5/31/14 , edited 5/31/14
Anime is not perfect but it can exceed, and reflect, our wildest imaginations.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/31/14



I can only dream?
71800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / A nice safe dista...
Offline
Posted 5/31/14

Watch the ED of Kaiji - Against all Rules. Now here's a perfect beauty.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/kaiji

hpi 
17277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 5/31/14

TheAncientOne wrote:


hpi wrote:

He gave examples like the school in Madoka Magica and also how unattractive anime characters are few and far between.

Have him watch Flowers of Evil or Ping Pong.



I just recommended him flowers of evil
hpi 
17277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Arizona
Offline
Posted 5/31/14

mow123 wrote:

They just want attractive character so you'll watch the damn thing. Why are a lot of actors really good looking? uh because people want to look at thing that look good. It's as simple as that. Anime is far from perfect if you look at some "anime like" still art from very high end artists it will always out rank moving animation character designs.


Sure, people will be more willing to watch it and that does factor into the enjoyment of watching an anime, but I don't think that's the only reason why people enjoy watching anime.
1840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Bebop
Offline
Posted 5/31/14 , edited 5/31/14
Anime was made mostly to escape reality. If someone watches anime for practicality, they will problably be dissapointed.


13811 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M
Offline
Posted 5/31/14
What I like is when anime series subvert beauty standards. Kawaii complex is one. The really beautiful girls in the complex are a drunk and a twistedly evil manipulative cutie. While rit-chan the bookish nerd starts off looking like an average girl but her personality makes her inner beauty shine through.
Posted 5/31/14 , edited 5/31/14

xxJing wrote:

Character design is fine as attractive. In the end it really isn't the character design that matters but the personality.

I don't think any of these girls is any less visually attractive than any other. However, based on the events of the story, I can without a doubt say that I am by far the most attracted to Charlotte, and I am actually annoyed by Rin, making me not attracted to her at all.

Now as far as personalities go, idealistic personalities can sometimes ruin a story, however if those idealistic personalities mesh well with the story, then there really is no problem.

People are going to probably hate me for saying this, but I rather like Ichika. It may not be apparent at first, but I have watched IS quite a few times. Ichika is decently strong, but weaker than any single heroine. He accepts that he is weaker, but wants to get stronger. He also actually seems somewhat aware of the advances being made toward him, but just isn't 100% sure whether they mean friendship or romance. Ichika is actually not that bad of a main character.



Thanks for telling us about your blog. But anyways I don't think you'd really hold up to your statements if the girls were replaced with realistic below average chicks. Because you're used to hot chicks dominating every show, you'll distinguish them through personalities but that doesn't mean the looks aren't important to you, not to mention looks excusing poor personalities.

But it's obvious that people will always be drawn to idealized and attractive people, even more so in anime where you can literally draw them all the same way. In American television, you'll see more diverse casts but mostly, attractive Caucasians are usually the main character or people of important roles. That's simply the appeal right now, whether you hate it or not. For me, I'm bored of the same face and body type of characters but I suppose personality and plot matters more to me. So if people decide to change it up, it's a plus but the material matters more. You can't really argue that anime isn't idealization in almost every way, in most cases, as even the average characters look pretty good in anime goggles (uglier characters usually have bad roles). Some anime find a balance between realism and fantasy, like Uchoten Kazoku, which did have many magical elements to it but was simply a show based on family bonds and relationships in its purest. Those are moments when I believe anime, as a medium, is at its best. With the freedom of the pen to draw anything and everything in your imagination but bringing it down to earth through the emotional aspects and human interaction.
14128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 5/31/14

hpi wrote:


mow123 wrote:

They just want attractive character so you'll watch the damn thing. Why are a lot of actors really good looking? uh because people want to look at thing that look good. It's as simple as that. Anime is far from perfect if you look at some "anime like" still art from very high end artists it will always out rank moving animation character designs.


Sure, people will be more willing to watch it and that does factor into the enjoyment of watching an anime, but I don't think that's the only reason why people enjoy watching anime.


No, but why would you not give somebody what they want when you are trying to get them to buy/watch the show. For example it may not be as important in a show like Monster, so you can throw in ugly people if you think it will add to the show, but if you have a show about high school or an action show, chances are its not a bad idea to add it good looking people. People seemed to complain about the flowers of evil art, so yeah I don't think it was a good idea, people wouldn't of complained if they just stuck to standard anime style art. The people complaining about the character being too perfect looking are a minority. Unless there is a reason for them to be ugly, it should be avoided. You even said it adds enjoyment. Do you want anime to be less enjoyable? No.
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 5/31/14

HellaStrider wrote:


xxJing wrote:



Thanks for telling us about your blog. But anyways I don't think you'd really hold up to your statements if the girls were replaced with realistic below average chicks. Because you're used to hot chicks dominating every show, you'll distinguish them through personalities but that doesn't mean the looks aren't important to you, not to mention looks excusing poor personalities.

But it's obvious that people will always be drawn to idealized and attractive people, even more so in anime where you can literally draw them all the same way. In American television, you'll see more diverse casts but mostly, attractive Caucasians are usually the main character or people of important roles. That's simply the appeal right now, whether you hate it or not. For me, I'm bored of the same face and body type of characters but I suppose personality and plot matters more to me. So if people decide to change it up, it's a plus but the material matters more. You can't really argue that anime isn't idealization in almost every way, in most cases, as even the average characters look pretty good in anime goggles (uglier characters usually have bad roles). Some anime find a balance between realism and fantasy, like Uchoten Kazoku, which did have many magical elements to it but was simply a show based on family bonds and relationships in its purest. Those are moments when I believe anime, as a medium, is at its best. With the freedom of the pen to draw anything and everything in your imagination but bringing it down to earth through the emotional aspects and human interaction.


Thanks to Flowers of Evil I can offer a bit of a counter argument.



I honestly don't think this change takes anything away from the story. The manga style is definitely more idealized than the anime style, but both work. Which if you reverse the argument also means that idealizing her doesn't exactly take away anything from the story either. So honestly unless you want to make it a focal point of the story that the character is physically ugly, there really is no point in having them look ugly. Granted she isn't exactly ugly, she's average.
1840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Bebop
Offline
Posted 5/31/14
70034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/31/14 , edited 5/31/14

xxJing wrote:

I honestly don't think this change takes anything away from the story. The manga style is definitely more idealized than the anime style, but both work. Which if you reverse the argument also means that idealizing her doesn't exactly take away anything from the story either. So honestly unless you want to make it a focal point of the story that the character is physically ugly, there really is no point in having them look ugly. Granted she isn't exactly ugly, she's average.

But both don't work, the manga is popular while the anime bombed. Are you saying that you don't think the anime would've been more popular if it had been drawn to match the manga instead of using (pretty bad) rotoscoping?

I think that would've made an obvious difference in reception.
xxJing 
37179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 5/31/14

Insomnist wrote:


xxJing wrote:

I honestly don't think this change takes anything away from the story. The manga style is definitely more idealized than the anime style, but both work. Which if you reverse the argument also means that idealizing her doesn't exactly take away anything from the story either. So honestly unless you want to make it a focal point of the story that the character is physically ugly, there really is no point in having them look ugly. Granted she isn't exactly ugly, she's average.

But both don't work, the manga is popular while the anime bombed. Are you saying that you don't think the anime would've been more popular if it had been drawn to match the manga instead of using (pretty bad) rotoscoping?

I think that would've made an obvious difference in reception.


Really? It bombed because of the art style? I actually really liked the art style, I thought it was fitting for such a messed up story. I don't think it would have been any less messed up otherwise though. Hmm... I guess I am a lot less shallow than most people then.

So I guess I have to repeal my last statement, apparently art style does matter heavily.
72836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 5/31/14
Bahahaha, that's absolutely impossible. No such thing as a PERFECT ENOUGH Anime. Love My Anime AND Manga. <3
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.