First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
#YesAll___ Discussion
7076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / The Sprawl
Offline
Posted 6/3/14 , edited 6/9/14

outerheaven139 wrote:

As a white male i deserve a bigger share of the profits than any other person in the boarding room.. sorry bud, it's just life


Hey... HEY!!! Your share won't be bigger than this white mans!
Rohzek 
15048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/3/14 , edited 6/3/14
I really disliked the #YesAllWomen thing. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with gender equality or any of that nice stuff. I just felt like people were hijacking a tragedy (the Elliot Rodgers shooting). Furthermore, many "activists" used the hashtag to blame white male society for Elliot Rodgers. Then when #NotAllMen came about, people criticized it as sexist when the same could be said of many of people using #YesAllWomen. I found it to be ridiculous. Yes, societal factors influenced him, but that goes for good societal factors as well. Responsibility rests on his shoulders alone, not us white males. Besides, I didn't even know we were an actual group. Better go say hi to my bros and affirm our brotherhood .

Just to further make my point. Imagine the OJ trial was held today in 2014, and someone started a similar Twitter campaign about fearing young black men in the inner cities, such as New Orleans and then ended it with #YesAllWhitePeople. Could you imagine the outrage against that? It would be condemned as racist. No doubt, inner city crime is a real thing just as rape and cat calling (although I know a few weird chicks who like that), but still no one would stand for such a thing. So much for equality.



698 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/14
People talk about male privilege, white privilege, etc. I would not deny the existence of these things. Instead I would make the issue clearer. I like the term "normative privilege." Every society has an idealized norm. For most of western culture this is a 20-30 year old, white, straight, male with good physical health, mental health, and no outstanding abnormalities. Anything that moves you away from this idealized norm reduces your share in the privilege and power. My above generalization may need refining to make it more accurate, but it is enough to convey the general point.

Female? You just took a step away. Mental illness? You don't get to stay on the central pedestal. You're not white? You just lost out on some privilege. Granted, there are scenarios that can skew this and other special circumstances, but generally speaking this is how it works. Yes being male grants you more privilege than being female in our patriarchal society. The catch is that to enjoy that privilege and power unfettered you must fulfill that idealized norm. If you deviate from it in too many parameters a white male can end up with less privilege and power than a white female. Deviate far enough and you can have less than a black man or woman. The problem affects some more than others, but it negatively impacts most of society to some degree. Dividing ourselves into categories and having debates about who is more affected or less affected seems counter-productive to the real cause to me. We need to change this for everyone.

This idealized norm combined with our patriarchal culture and ideas of masculinity creates a toxic situation. It does have some benefits for those at the center, but even they are negatively impacted by it at least somewhat. It would be to everyone's benefit (though obviously some more than others) for this situation to change. Our culture also includes a number of ideals and stereotypes that are defined either in opposition to or in support of the idealized norm. Redefining this idealized norm to make it focus more on what we want to make matter and less on accidents of genetic code or other largely impossible to truly change attributes will help to positively affect all of our cultural norms. Forget #YesAllMen. How about #YesAllHumans or #YesToABetterFuture?
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/14
Emotional repression. If you're male, and have a 'feeling' that is not anger or pride, you better keep it to yourself. That's the rule. I really don't think it's a coincidence that 80% of suicides are committed by men...

There's also the fact that men are the majority victims of nearly every type of violence. People don't talk about that. Even Elliot Rodger killed twice as many men as he killed women.

If you really want to know about men's issues, I'd recommend looking up Karen Straughan. Be aware, she's pretty critical of feminism, but it's kinda hard not to be these days, considering the crazies within the movement have the most political influence.
10477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 6/4/14 , edited 6/9/14

outerheaven139 wrote:

I'm sorry, but in what reality discussing about a personal issue such as being sexually assaulted, openly on twitter while using a trending hashtag considered a safe space ? I thought it was pretty obvious for everyone that uses the internet that if you publicly state anything, especially on a social media, you're open to be fired at by anyone on the planet, i think it's the same issue i said earlier, you should be focusing on people's mental health and why they commit atrocious acts such as murder and rape, instead of having genre battles on twitter,


That doesn't excuse people actually taking advantage of that open forum to throw their two cents in where it doesn't belong, invalidating the experiences of people who were using that hashtag. True, the Internet is not a safe space for everyone. I may have misspoken. But the issue we're talking about is whether or not #YesAllMen was necessary, and I still don't think it was. In fact I strongly dislike it.

But yes I completely agree with you that the issue we should focus on is mental health and preventing these senseless acts from happening. We should try to get along and accept one another, easier said than done, but each person makes a difference!


UnlimitedEnergy wrote:


demongurrl13 wrote:

Is there a ‪#‎YesAllMen‬ trend going around to discuss male issues and double standards in society? If there is, I would very much like to show my support for it.

Same goes for #YesAllLGBT #YesAll*insert gender, race, class, nationality, religion, whathaveyou*

Because I would very much like to find proof that there are other genders, "races," religions, and classes of people who also have issues that must be discussed and resolved.


We see eye to eye on this one (I think). The kid was obviously deranged, calling himself a god and the perfect gentlemen would say he was excessively narcissistic, obviously to the point of being dangerous.

Then not limiting his hatred to women, but saying he wanted to kill off the entire race and turn them into a mountain of skulls or something along those lines. There was something off in the kids head, being a virgin was a just a reason to justify what he did (not that you can justify it, but you get the idea).

Furthermore, if the issue was really about being a virgin, why not just go buy a hooker. He was rich in California, I can't imagine it to be that hard to find someone that'll sleep with you, even if you have to pay for it.



robot-factory wrote:

Amen amen couldn't have said it better myself! And not to mention this hashtag was the direct affront to the #YesAllWomen discussion that was meant to be a safe space for women to openly discuss our experiences with sexual harassment and assault in the wake of a violent misogynistic hate crime so not only is #YesAllMen a joke but it's also disrespectful and perpetuates all kinds of oppression.


You are aware that the guy hated the entire human race right, and that his killing spree was far deeper than hating women.

I don't expect this to not come off confrontational, and I apologize in advance, and correct me if I'm wrong, but would you feel the same if the shoe was on the other foot? Let's say it was men talking about all the times they were sexually harassed, and they feel the comfort of making a hashtag out of it because it's not approved by guy code to complain to your friends about it. You know, a guy should appreciate the attention a women is giving him, and since he's so much stronger and wouldn't ever be raped by a woman, he has no right to complain about such nonsense (regardless of the frequency, we all know that while probably more rare it does happen). Or would you disapprove of it because it's making light of women's struggles?

I would still probably not care for it if it was done on a random Tuesday when no tragedy happened, but I find it less than appealing that someone has actually turned this guy's hatred for the human race into a "misogynistic hate crime" to promote their ideals.


Yes, you're right. He definitely hated the whole human race, not just women. Misogyny was just one of many factors unfortunately.

Personally I think we should focus more on erasing misogyny, racism, etc. and honoring those who were killed rather than the killer himself. If I ever come across as being disrespectful on this sensitive issue I hope you all feel free to let me know :>


1151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Between Goku's st...
Offline
Posted 6/4/14
Creepy girls eye rape me. #YesAllMen
629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Pooh Corner
Offline
Posted 6/4/14
Can we all shut our fucking mouthes with this #YesAllBlank bullshit?
1151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Between Goku's st...
Offline
Posted 6/4/14
Men are discrimated for their gender (even by other men) because we're all raised by women so we see life through a woman's lens. #YesAllMen

Sadly, we are seen as evil beings by some people.
18291 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Midwest USA
Offline
Posted 6/4/14

LordDust wrote:

People talk about male privilege, white privilege, etc. I would not deny the existence of these things. Instead I would make the issue clearer. I like the term "normative privilege." Every society has an idealized norm. For most of western culture this is a 20-30 year old, white, straight, male with good physical health, mental health, and no outstanding abnormalities. Anything that moves you away from this idealized norm reduces your share in the privilege and power. My above generalization may need refining to make it more accurate, but it is enough to convey the general point.

Female? You just took a step away. Mental illness? You don't get to stay on the central pedestal. You're not white? You just lost out on some privilege. Granted, there are scenarios that can skew this and other special circumstances, but generally speaking this is how it works. Yes being male grants you more privilege than being female in our patriarchal society. The catch is that to enjoy that privilege and power unfettered you must fulfill that idealized norm. If you deviate from it in too many parameters a white male can end up with less privilege and power than a white female. Deviate far enough and you can have less than a black man or woman. The problem affects some more than others, but it negatively impacts most of society to some degree. Dividing ourselves into categories and having debates about who is more affected or less affected seems counter-productive to the real cause to me. We need to change this for everyone.

This idealized norm combined with our patriarchal culture and ideas of masculinity creates a toxic situation. It does have some benefits for those at the center, but even they are negatively impacted by it at least somewhat. It would be to everyone's benefit (though obviously some more than others) for this situation to change. Our culture also includes a number of ideals and stereotypes that are defined either in opposition to or in support of the idealized norm. Redefining this idealized norm to make it focus more on what we want to make matter and less on accidents of genetic code or other largely impossible to truly change attributes will help to positively affect all of our cultural norms. Forget #YesAllMen. How about #YesAllHumans or #YesToABetterFuture?


So very well spoken and absolutely true.
Posted 6/4/14 , edited 6/4/14
#YesAllMen was already up on twitter and useless, tumblr/twitter feminists decided to bombard it with their whining.

While it's great to see people unite on the internet, it doesn't really do anything. Go outside and press for the more alarming issues that men face. (The disgusting treatment or male rape/abuse victims for instance.) That and it's important to bring to attention how men are more likely to be attacked at night and that men make up 80% of homicide victims. (According to the CDC.) It's great to spread awareness on the internet, but you have to get out there too. Get on TV, get all over the place.


haunterie wrote:
It was especially disgusting to see this hashtag full of white, straight men. Straight white men are literally the top of the pyramid. So boo-hoo, you had to open the car door to impress a girl or buy her dinner before she even considered going home with you.

Try spending every day being oppressed for your gender & being treated as a lesser species & then come talk to me.


Yeah? And #YesAllWomen was filled with white, heterosexual woman from first world countries that wouldn't know oppression if it slapped them in the face. I saw people in there complaining about having to wear a dress code to fucking school, how privileged do you gatta be to complain about not being able to wear leggings to school? Girls in other countries are being circumcised, girls in other schools are even fucking denied education, women are killed for being raped, women in other countries have no damn rights what-so-ever. Do you honestly think you as a woman in a first world country is oppressed for being female when you have all your basic human rights? Really?

Why don't you try spending every day being oppressed? Cause, I'll assure you it will open your damn eyes to just how fucking easy you have it. And before you come snapping at me about how I'm an 'oh so privileged male' I am a latino, transgender man who is forced to live with a super conservative family. I live every damn day with crippling dysphoria that used to make me barf up my food and starve myself, I live every damn day being forced to be a woman and be called a damn woman when I know I'm not one. I have to live with a terrible fear of even fucking going outside because I can barely stand people looking at me while I'm female. I break down often, I have panic attacks and can never seek any type of help because my parents do not believe in mental illnesses or anything like that and they would beat me if I came out to them as a transgender just like they've hurt me before because they've caught me trying to dress like a man. I've come out to people and had to deal with the fear of being 'correctively raped' by people I trusted, I've been threatened with impregnation, I've been sexually harassed for what I am. I can be denied medical help, I can be fired from work for being transgender. I can be denied stuff for being a transgender man. As a transgender man I have so many rights restricted. You as a cisgender woman in fucking America do not face being denied rights or anything of that manner based upon your gender. Do not compare your 'problems' to actual oppression.
Posted 6/4/14


dyme420 wrote:

Like to dress skimpy with lots of makeup? Guess what?? You're OBJECTIFYING YOURSELF. Of course, talking about woman problems as a man is just going to bring loads of hate but so what? How about women stop wearing sexy, revealing outfits? No, but you look at them in admiration and they snare at you; "What the hell are you looking at?"... YOU I'm LOOKING AT YOU prancing around with your ass hanging out, your legs exposed all the way up to your crotch with booty shorts and you expect NOT to be raped??

I'm not sure you ladies know, but dress like a whore, get treated like a whore. But no, it's mens fault for being attracted to women. Funny no one accuses the lion of misogyny for destroying the piece of meat he's been taunted with by the handler. But somehow we've got to deal with pieces of meat walking around (yes i just said pieces of meat, like i said. YOU objectify yourselves.) as men and just turn the other cheek.



Translation: Men are primitive animals. They have no moral conscience and are completely incapable of self control.
62095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / The stars.. too b...
Offline
Posted 6/4/14

bravostribe1015 wrote:



dyme420 wrote:

Like to dress skimpy with lots of makeup? Guess what?? You're OBJECTIFYING YOURSELF. Of course, talking about woman problems as a man is just going to bring loads of hate but so what? How about women stop wearing sexy, revealing outfits? No, but you look at them in admiration and they snare at you; "What the hell are you looking at?"... YOU I'm LOOKING AT YOU prancing around with your ass hanging out, your legs exposed all the way up to your crotch with booty shorts and you expect NOT to be raped??

I'm not sure you ladies know, but dress like a whore, get treated like a whore. But no, it's mens fault for being attracted to women. Funny no one accuses the lion of misogyny for destroying the piece of meat he's been taunted with by the handler. But somehow we've got to deal with pieces of meat walking around (yes i just said pieces of meat, like i said. YOU objectify yourselves.) as men and just turn the other cheek.



Translation: Men are primitive animals. They have no moral conscience and are completely incapable of self control.




Wow you must lack awareness, if this was the case, there would be thousands of rapes every day. The point of the argument is to stop bitching about the attention you're getting because YOU'RE the one prancing yourself like that.

But if you're gonna White Knight, at least give it some thought. Have you even approached an attractive female with aims of getting with her? I'm guessing no. Or you're the child of a single mother. Guess I could speculate for days on end... How about coming at with me with an argument instead of attempting to paraphrase my comments into hate speech.
Posted 6/4/14

dyme420 wrote:

Wow you must lack awareness, if this was the case, there would be thousands of rapes every day. The point of the argument is to stop bitching about the attention you're getting because YOU'RE the one prancing yourself like that.

But if you're gonna White Knight, at least give it some thought. Have you even approached an attractive female with aims of getting with her? I'm guessing no. Or you're the child of a single mother. Guess I could speculate for days on end... How about coming at with me with an argument instead of attempting to paraphrase my comments into hate speech.


You're the one who made the misandric analogy. It shouldn't be surprising someone would take offense to it.
63591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/14

dyme420 wrote:
Wow you must lack awareness, if this was the case, there would be thousands of rapes every day.

Well, how many rapes are there in a day? Less than one thousand, or more?
25475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Beyond The Wall
Offline
Posted 6/4/14
Why does the man always have to provide the condom before sex?
#Yesallmen
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.