First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Speech Pattern
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 6/6/14

tsun wrote:

I used to add things to my speech as a child.

My caretakers forced me to sit on my knees for hours.
Not really a punishment, but it got me to stop eventually.


Well that sounds a little drastic for me
5992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/14

Kikusui10 wrote:


tsun wrote:

I used to add things to my speech as a child.

My caretakers forced me to sit on my knees for hours.
Not really a punishment, but it got me to stop eventually.


Well that sounds a little drastic for me

It wasn't really though haha. The boredom was where the pain really was.
13612 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/14 , edited 6/6/14
I have an accent despite being born and raised around American English and nobody really cared. Some people say I sound like a black Frenchman when I ask
396 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In You're Closet
Offline
Posted 6/6/14
Once when I watched anime all night, I woke up and when people talked I heard Japanese.
37531 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/14 , edited 6/6/14
What exactly are speech patterns? I don't recall learning them in school.
63499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 6/6/14

Dubnoman wrote:
What exactly are speech patterns? I don't recall learning them in school.

You know how in anime they add a random suffix to the end of their sentences? Those made up ones.

-nyan, -chi, -gero, and so forth...
9026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 6/6/14
According to my brother, I sound like someone from India when I speak. I don't know how that happened, seeing as the rest of my family sounds pretty normal
11526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Waite Park, MN
Offline
Posted 6/6/14
Does censoring yourself count? XD

I always drop out one letter when I swear in like a public place or family, so fuck become fck, shit becomes sht, and so on XD I know it doesn't make it less of a word, but I just find myself doing it a lot.
21060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 6/6/14 , edited 6/6/14
I have a bad habit of dropping the 'g' sound off the end of a verb in the present progressive when speaking English when I am with friends or family and I am a native speaker. I live in the North East of the USA and it is quite common here. When I am speaking with friends from overseas or teaching English classes I have to force myself to use standard pronunciation.

An example would be is when I am talking with other Americans in my region the word 'running' sounds like 'runnin'

This is a standard problem with English accents in general. For example, in Boston the 'r' sound at the end and occasionally in the middle is omitted as well.
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 6/6/14

NeartheN wrote:

According to my brother, I sound like someone from India when I speak. I don't know how that happened, seeing as the rest of my family sounds pretty normal


Maybe like me you picked it up due to the environment you were raised in. I live in the "ghetto" of Norway and i'm guessing that's where i got my pattern from.
Posted 6/6/14
i think i sort of get it. just talk slowly xD or do what the actors do, speak with a pen separating your molar teeth.. lol i don't give a hoot son. a hoot i give not
Posted 6/6/14

Vilehawx wrote:

Does censoring yourself count? XD

I always drop out one letter when I swear in like a public place or family, so fuck become fck, shit becomes sht, and so on XD I know it doesn't make it less of a word, but I just find myself doing it a lot.


lol i did that today. i was talking about something and was about to say shit... i slowed right down and shhhhhhhhhhhhhh escaped my lips. damn it, too late i thought and it made the whole thing offensive. i could just see their eyes dare me to finish what i was saying lol.
7641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Garland, Tx.
Offline
Posted 6/8/14
I mix languages a lot. I will be talking to someone in English, but I'll accidentally throw Japanese words in there and it can be confusing.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.