Post Reply Chihayafuru Discussions
133148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Online
Posted 6/4/14


Synopsis


Ayase Chihaya is a cheerful tomboy without any ambitious aspirations in life. At school one day, she meets a boy named Wataya Arata who is an outcast at school. Feeling pity despite peer pressure, Chihaya befriends Arata as he reveals to her his aptitude in karuta which institutes Chihaya's dream to become a karuta queen.


Other Information

Type: Manga
Volumes: Unknown
Chapters: Unknown
Status: Publishing
Published: Dec 28, 2007 to ?
Genres: Drama, Game, Sports, Josei
Authors: Suetsugu, Yuki (Story & Art)
Serialization: Be-Love



Just saw an update on this today and for those who are following the manga, the latest matches have been intense especially for the
.

On another note, I hope to see Shinobu compete in the future again. The current match is going to end soon though and I've been enjoying nearly every minute of it.
39703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Reno, NV, USA
Offline
Posted 6/4/14 , edited 6/10/14
Importing manga is a bit expensive, but I really do like this one, and this is one of the few series I've decided to read until the very end, whenever that is-- even though I've really no particular interest in karuta itself, other than to understand it sufficiently to follow along the manga. There are currently 24 volumes, 128 chapters, with volume 25 expected to be on sale July 11, 2014. So far as I know, there's no release of the manga or anime in the U.S., though I hope someone will pick up the anime one day (I can see it as an NIS America type of release). I think there's enough for a third season too, if they want to make it.

Minor trivia: there's a ramen house in Reno, NV, Momiji Ramen, which has a karuta deck laid out in a wall display, maybe 70 of the 100 cards in a rectangular array-- they look just as they are depicted in the manga or anime. It was kind of neat to see it and recognize it.

Edit: showing photo of the wall display
47389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 6/5/14

sushipath wrote:

Importing manga is a bit expensive, but I really do like this one, and this is one of the few series I've decided to read until the very end, whenever that is-- even though I've really no particular interest in karuta itself, other than to understand it sufficiently to follow along the manga. There are currently 24 volumes, 128 chapters, with volume 25 expected to be on sale July 11, 2014. So far as I know, there's no release of the manga or anime in the U.S., though I hope someone will pick up the anime one day (I can see it as an NIS America type of release). I think there's enough for a third season too, if they want to make it.

Minor trivia: there's a ramen house in Reno, NV, Momiji Ramen, which has a karuta deck laid out in a wall display, maybe 70 of the 100 cards in a rectangular array-- they look just as they are depicted in the manga or anime. It was kind of neat to see it and recognize it.

I bet you're one of the few people who have any idea about karuta!

25 comes out next month, yes!!! But we still don't have enough for season 3, either in volumes or in a good place to stop the story. Volume 24 we are still in the matches so it isn't time and they did about 8.5 volumes in each of seasons 1 and 2 and with volume 25 we'll be a wee bit short of that but the bigger problem is that there is no good stopping point yet. Once the matches are over I think that would be a good point so we'll see. I don't read the raws anymore since most of the manga reading sites are full of stupid ads and refuse to run without ad block so I will just wait for volume 25 but that means I don't know if the meijin/queen matches are over yet or if they're still ongoing. I doubt one more volume is enough for that so my prediction is volume 26 will end those matches and we can have season 3 of the anime in winter 2015. Just a guess...
39703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Reno, NV, USA
Offline
Posted 6/6/14
I hope your prediction comes true for winter 2015 and a Chihayafuru season 3! Meanwhile, checking on Amazon Japan every few days to see if volume 25 shows up for order. I remember reading somewhere that season 1 of the anime was licensed in Australia. I wonder if that actually happened, and if so, whether it sold well or not.
47389 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 6/7/14

sushipath wrote:

I hope your prediction comes true for winter 2015 and a Chihayafuru season 3! Meanwhile, checking on Amazon Japan every few days to see if volume 25 shows up for order. I remember reading somewhere that season 1 of the anime was licensed in Australia. I wonder if that actually happened, and if so, whether it sold well or not.
BTW, when I said I don't read the raws anymore, I meant I don't read them illegally online. I wait for my tankobons to arrive from Japan but I do read them in Japanese. I don't read scanlations.

Volume 25 should be on sale on Amazon already. It is already up for sale on CDJapan where I ordered it, where I always order from these days:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-1672457
Sogno- 
21296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
i just wanna know if she's gonna pick one of the poor guys geez lol
39703 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Reno, NV, USA
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
Somehow, #25 doesn't show up on Amazon Japan, at least not at this very moment. The site does have other things that can be preordered, even months in advance (e.g. Ika Musume #17), so why Chihayafuru 25 isn't up there yet, I've no idea. Anyway, I read the Japanese tankobon too. My ability isn't all that great, but I can stumble my way through manga without too much hassle (more so if I'm well-rested and not too mentally fatigued)-- easily enough that it's still enjoyable as a pastime and not a chore. I may miss stuff here and there, but can still follow along.

BTW, hpulley, could you give me an idea what shipping costs for CDJapan orders are, at least in your experience? I'm searching the site, but can't find exact rates. While shipping to Canada versus the U.S. might not be identical, I imagine they'd be similar. For example, Amazon Japan charges Y800 for an order plus Y400 for each individual book (with a set of manga, if bought as a set, being considered a single "book" or unit for this purpose, regardless of number of volumes in the set)-- very easy to predict exactly how much shipping will cost.

As for which guy Chihaya picks,
6105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / In a world... far...
Offline
Posted 6/10/14

Last chapter left at a twist though.
51530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F
Online
Posted 6/11/14
Cheapest for shipping books is honto.jp, Amazon.jp is too expensive for shipping.
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 6/12/14

sushipath wrote:

Somehow, #25 doesn't show up on Amazon Japan, at least not at this very moment. The site does have other things that can be preordered, even months in advance (e.g. Ika Musume #17), so why Chihayafuru 25 isn't up there yet, I've no idea. Anyway, I read the Japanese tankobon too. My ability isn't all that great, but I can stumble my way through manga without too much hassle (more so if I'm well-rested and not too mentally fatigued)-- easily enough that it's still enjoyable as a pastime and not a chore. I may miss stuff here and there, but can still follow along.

BTW, hpulley, could you give me an idea what shipping costs for CDJapan orders are, at least in your experience? I'm searching the site, but can't find exact rates. While shipping to Canada versus the U.S. might not be identical, I imagine they'd be similar. For example, Amazon Japan charges Y800 for an order plus Y400 for each individual book (with a set of manga, if bought as a set, being considered a single "book" or unit for this purpose, regardless of number of volumes in the set)-- very easy to predict exactly how much shipping will cost.

As for which guy Chihaya picks,



You must be logged in to post.