TheBluu's Painted Miniatures
6723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 6/5/14 , edited 6/5/14
Instead of posting a separate thread each time I paint something, I am going to just post them all here.

This is my second attempt at painting a miniature. This is also my first attempt at using shade and also trying to dry brush.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the results and it looks much better than my first. I wish I could clean up the yellow parts of the robe more though but it's really tiny!







Also, if anyone is wondering, here are the paints I used:

Robe: macragge blue base, drakenhof nighshade shade, dry brushed with mixtures of macragge, white scar and hoeth blue

Robe rope: averland sunset with a tiny bit of nuln oil shade (the shade I slightly regret for this part)

Wood on shovel: mournfang brown with nuln oil shade and drybrushed with abbadon black

Shovel: 4 parts leadbelcher mixed with 1 part warpfiend grey, drybrushed with abbadon black

Bone (the bone looks meh to me): White scar with nuln oil shade and drybrushed VERY lightly with abbadon black on smoother parts
12708 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 6/5/14
Looking much better. I can really see the details on the robe coming through. For the robe ropes, you can always go back later with blue to clean up any edges your not happy with.

Usually dry brushing has you using the lighter colors last to accent the high points. Why did you use black for your dry brushing on the skull and shovel blade? Just curious.

I'll post something tonight if I have time.

~ SK
6723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 6/5/14 , edited 6/5/14

stonekaiju wrote:

Looking much better. I can really see the details on the robe coming through. For the robe ropes, you can always go back later with blue to clean up any edges your not happy with.

Usually dry brushing has you using the lighter colors last to accent the high points. Why did you use black for your dry brushing on the skull and shovel blade? Just curious.

I'll post something tonight if I have time.

~ SK


Well, the shovel I felt was a little lighter than I wanted it to be but I didn't want it very much darker. I just felt a better way to do that was to just sort of "accent" it with black to get the overall color slightly darker.

As far as the bone, the black color comes from the nuln oil shade which is basically black shade. However, on the smoother parts of the bone (where there are no creases for the shade to collect in), the bone was almost pure white. To make the consistency a little more even I just lightly coated it with a little black to even it out.
12708 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 6/5/14

TheBluu wrote:

Well, the shovel I felt was a little lighter than I wanted it to be but I didn't want it very much darker. I just felt a better way to do that was to just sort of "accent" it with black to get the overall color slightly darker.

As far as the bone, the black color comes from the nuln oil shade which is basically black shade. However, on the smoother parts of the bone (where there are no creases for the shade to collect in), the bone was almost pure white. To make the consistency a little more even I just lightly coated it with a little black to even it out.


Gotcha, makes sense. Interesting way of mixing your colors.

~ SK

14748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / ON, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/9/14
Have you tried wetblending before? It would make your robes look ten times better, and it only requires you to layer and thin your paints out with a medium. It's the only way to go if you'd like some nice transitional highlights.
6723 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 6/11/14

Shnooze wrote:

Have you tried wetblending before? It would make your robes look ten times better, and it only requires you to layer and thin your paints out with a medium. It's the only way to go if you'd like some nice transitional highlights.


No, I haven't! I'm starting on a new piece tomorrow, though. She is wearing a robe type thing so I may have to look that up.
195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
14 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 6/11/14
It looks amazing really detailed and nicely painted. Also nice job on shading using a paint brush I thought it was hard.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
You must be logged in to post.