First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply 'in the Light Novel....'
35931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
(To mods, I checked for a thread, but not very hard, kill it if you must).

So yeah, there are a few shows this season where the discussion is almost unreadable because of all the people talking about the source material rather than about the show itself.

I really really don't wanna hear about it, and I know there are others, there are occasional flareups in threads about it.

~~~

So, my question. What drives people to do this? There's proper places for source material discussion, and you know everyone wants to talk about that there, not sure of the appeal (and also annoyed bout it, not gonna lie)
16242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
14151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S
Offline
Posted 6/7/14 , edited 6/7/14


But as to this prompt....I leave you with another question...Why eat on the floor when there is a table conveniently close by?

Someone will probably not want to answer this, which will make me sad so I guess I will do it D:
Although the floor essentially provides the table a place to be, such as the LN providing the source for the anime, there simply aren't enough people eating on the floor to make it enjoyable, hence you go to the table, even when unwanted and try and ask others to try out this weird dish you have.

On that note, I need to go make dinner....
35931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
oh you clowns ><

bumps are good though, I guess >>
50918 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / NJ
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
If they spoiler tag it, its not a big problem. Sometimes I like knowing tad bits left out in the anime.

But you question is why.

Easy, they are comparing the LN they read and seeing how well the anime adapts it. Thus commenting to other LN novel readers what they think about the change.
\
Sure they are talking about the LN, but in relation to the anime.

LN threads in a different place arent as lively as the anime forum is, so they would comment with little reply. Talking about the anime in the LN thread.


If Im making sense, Im in a lot of pain and tired.
219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
Um not really sure what you are asking, really. ^~^

Well imo I guess people just want something done right? I mean if you read a book and a movie will be based off it, you would want the movie to at least reflect the book, not like perfectly just enough to say "yes, they didn't forget that part" or "at least, they remember about that part". Plus it would be more reasonable to have some info from a resourceful thing such as a light novel or the author him/herself in order to get some things right.

It's kinda like that thing with SAO. It has light novels that has a handful of details and such that the animators could have used, but they might have not the ability or time to use them. Most fans that have read the SAO light novels probably would compare the novels to the anime, only because they think if the animators had added this detail then it would have made that scene or whatnot more reasonable.

That's really what I think, really. I'm not too sure though.
35931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 6/7/14

rcybs wrote:

Um not really sure what you are asking, really. ^~^

Well imo I guess people just want something done right? I mean if you read a book and a movie will be based off it, you would want the movie to at least reflect the book, not like perfectly just enough to say "yes, they didn't forget that part" or "at least, they remember about that part". Plus it would be more reasonable to have some info from a resourceful thing such as a light novel or the author him/herself in order to get some things right.

It's kinda like that thing with SAO. It has light novels that has a handful of details and such that the animators could have used, but they might have not the ability or time to use them. Most fans that have read the SAO light novels probably would compare the novels to the anime, only because they think if the animators had added this detail then it would have made that scene or whatnot more reasonable.

That's really what I think, really. I'm not too sure though.


I honestly could be just bitching about something that annoys me :p

I'm just not sure what people are trying to share either though, although Sacae kind of hit it above maybe (feel better btw, whatever's got you down).

The issue is that it doesn't really have that much to do with the show itself, y'know? It's fun to compare experiences, but you end up with a page full of posts that have no meaning at all to a good number of the people that might participate. And that's leaving out the 'You guys are gonna love what happens next episode!' people and the "according to book V, let me tell everyone exactly what the Protagonist is thinking" folks.

jdyun2 
13125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
Isn't it natural for people who watch the show because they love the original to compare an adaptation to the original?
I'm always interested to know how different something is from it's original.

As the person above said, I only see it being an issue if people are dishing out spoilers without spoiler tags.

On a sided note, threads with a large amount of posts are unreadable for me anyway.

16242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/14

windsagio wrote:
"according to book V, let me tell everyone exactly what the Protagonist is thinking" folks.

The Harry Potter books had so much more detail than the movies regarding "thoughts". Is that better?
25579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / KS, USA
Online
Posted 6/7/14

windsagio wrote:


I honestly could be just bitching about something that annoys me :p



Don't worry! You are.



In all seriousness though. I don't mind when people talk about the LNs in spoilers. Hell I don't even mind when people talk about the LNs of currently animated stuff. Take NGNL for example, if the Anime has animated something from the LN, go ahead and talk about it, if it didn't animate a part UP TO that point, talk about it. It doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is when out of spoilers they talk about stuff that WILL or COULD happen later in the Anime... it doesn't exactly RUIN it for me, because I have horrible memory and will likely forget about it, but it lessens the enjoyment because I realize after that it was spoiled for me like a week or so before hand.
219 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 6/7/14

windsagio wrote:


rcybs wrote:

Um not really sure what you are asking, really. ^~^

Well imo I guess people just want something done right? I mean if you read a book and a movie will be based off it, you would want the movie to at least reflect the book, not like perfectly just enough to say "yes, they didn't forget that part" or "at least, they remember about that part". Plus it would be more reasonable to have some info from a resourceful thing such as a light novel or the author him/herself in order to get some things right.

It's kinda like that thing with SAO. It has light novels that has a handful of details and such that the animators could have used, but they might have not the ability or time to use them. Most fans that have read the SAO light novels probably would compare the novels to the anime, only because they think if the animators had added this detail then it would have made that scene or whatnot more reasonable.

That's really what I think, really. I'm not too sure though.


I honestly could be just bitching about something that annoys me :p

I'm just not sure what people are trying to share either though, although Sacae kind of hit it above maybe (feel better btw, whatever's got you down).

The issue is that it doesn't really have that much to do with the show itself, y'know? It's fun to compare experiences, but you end up with a page full of posts that have no meaning at all to a good number of the people that might participate. And that's leaving out the 'You guys are gonna love what happens next episode!' people and the "according to book V, let me tell everyone exactly what the Protagonist is thinking" folks.



True though compared to anime and LN, many people would just stick to the anime than having to read something (considering LNs are rarely translated by groups compared to anime and manga by far). Although I do agree that I would like some slips of spoilers or info here and there just to know what the difference is. Of course, I don't always agree with what others have to say, but hey opinions are opinions. There is never a right answer to anything anymore.
Posted 6/7/14

windsagio wrote:

(To mods, I checked for a thread, but not very hard, kill it if you must).

So yeah, there are a few shows this season where the discussion is almost unreadable because of all the people talking about the source material rather than about the show itself.

I really really don't wanna hear about it, and I know there are others, there are occasional flareups in threads about it.

~~~

So, my question. What drives people to do this? There's proper places for source material discussion, and you know everyone wants to talk about that there, not sure of the appeal (and also annoyed bout it, not gonna lie)


lol this is why I don't read source material of ANYTHING. I read all of the Harry Potter books (before the films) and walked away from everyone feeling empty. The sad thing is, they are not horrible films from a long shot. They just didn't include things I believed were important. So I can show some compassion for people complaining about source material. At the same time, if I read the source material I would avoid the adaptions. I don't like to read anymore so I do not face this problem as of present.
35931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 6/7/14 , edited 6/7/14

jdyun2 wrote:

Isn't it natural for people who watch the show because they love the original to compare an adaptation to the original?
I'm always interested to know how different something is from it's original.

As the person above said, I only see it being an issue if people are dishing out spoilers without spoiler tags.

On a sided note, threads with a large amount of posts are unreadable for me anyway.



(Bold mine) I think that's the core of it. To me, and arguably to other people who haven't read the source material, it's pages of spam.


bathroom64 wrote:
The Harry Potter books had so much more detail than the movies regarding "thoughts". Is that better?


In the case of Harry Potter, that's not exactly a good thing :p


Stonewolfe wrote:



In all seriousness though. I don't mind when people talk about the LNs in spoilers. Hell I don't even mind when people talk about the LNs of currently animated stuff. Take NGNL for example, if the Anime has animated something from the LN, go ahead and talk about it, if it didn't animate a part UP TO that point, talk about it. It doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is when out of spoilers they talk about stuff that WILL or COULD happen later in the Anime... it doesn't exactly RUIN it for me, because I have horrible memory and will likely forget about it, but it lessens the enjoyment because I realize after that it was spoiled for me like a week or so before hand.


Yeah, don't wanna act like it's a crime against humanity, it's just that the semi-spoilers (as you might call them) and the volume (as noted above) are annoying ><

Edit: Some metamoderation going on in here.
16242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/7/14
Case Closed.
44242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Online
Posted 6/7/14
I don't do this for light novels. I don't read them much.

I did do it for the manga (kind of a similar thing to what you're getting at windsagio) TWGOK, D-Frag and Nisekoi. Only because I love them and when I see them animated, I just have to compare. Of course I try to keep anything spoiler-y in the spoiler tags as well as put a warning outside the tags. Even then, I don't go much into too much detail.

The things I keep out of the tags will be maybe a short reaction to how faithful they were to the manga or if they differentiated. I may express concern and disdain if they start to deviate from my liking but I try to not derail the thread as much with this.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.