First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Thoughts on College Major
42255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/12/14
My major was Journalism, unfortunately I can't go back to college for some time due to issues. In all honesty, I wanted to major in writing and I still do want to.
24505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 6/12/14

Arielgirl375 wrote:

so i was wondering what people on here think would be a good major to major in college and get a degree with. I am thinking about being a comunication major, right now im undeclared. I am also curious about journalism, and what they do. So what are CR people majoring in right now or planning to major in?

To answer the question - pick a) what makes sense to you & b) what you can get a job in. I wouldn't jump into biomedical engineering if you're not inclined to understand biology, math, or physics. But, you can pick another in demand major which you will a) find fulfilling & b) be able to get a job. Alternatively, trade school. I know a lot of people look down on it, but skilled laborers are in HIGH demand in many parts of the US & frankly, there aren't that many of them.

As for me, I have a BS & MS in Chemical Engineering. It was worthwhile for me. I currently work as an environmental engineer, so my background helped me.


x-Cellar_Door-x wrote:

I'm an actual 5th Year Medical student on My way to an eventual MD in Psychiatry. In 2015, I'll be starting My Residency. I absolutely CANNOT wait for that Day to get here. <3


Very cool! Good luck.
18602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/12/14
I'm planning on majoring in Physics while taking classes in astronomy and computer science.

I would major in astrophysics, but there's really no point.
kreyco 
21032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / US
Offline
Posted 6/12/14 , edited 6/12/14
I have a friend who got a degree in communications. He has an IT job doing marketing and doesn't really feel like he uses anything he learned in college. Also, with the job market being increasingly difficult the best degrees are ones that have the biggest job market. Best of luck!
8086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 6/12/14
I don't regret it yet! The classes were for the most part really fun and easy, I am just worried about the Job-hunt! If I land a good job I will message you, but that is the only concern I have because of how ambiguous the communications major is.
4752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / A rock in the mid...
Offline
Posted 6/12/14
BSIT, but the main issue with all the IT jobs it seems, they pretty much all want you to have work experience beforehand.
For anyone looking to get a degree, and job, in an IT field, try to make sure you get as much real life experience working on IT projects, open source projects, internships, volunteer IT projects for non-profits or whatever you can.
4131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / The Flying Pussyf...
Offline
Posted 6/12/14

Astria wrote:

Humanities by way of two years of English Literature...and a five year gap in between. With that in mind...

Consider your options. If college isn't right for you at the moment, don't feel like you *have* to go just because you're at the 'usual' age (out of high school, I take it? Or how does it work in the US?). It sounds like you have idea of what you're looking for, but I figured I could add an alternative to the thread. Just for anyone who is undecided.


typically ur either 17 or 18 when u graduate from high school. i already did my first year in college i am going on my second, when summer ends.
4131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / The Flying Pussyf...
Offline
Posted 6/12/14

kardonius wrote:

BSIT, but the main issue with all the IT jobs it seems, they pretty much all want you to have work experience beforehand.
For anyone looking to get a degree, and job, in an IT field, try to make sure you get as much real life experience working on IT projects, open source projects, internships, volunteer IT projects for non-profits or whatever you can.


IT i looked that up but am still confused about it. is IT like a computer job or something>? or like a degree in computer science. I been seeing IT alot.
4131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / The Flying Pussyf...
Offline
Posted 6/12/14 , edited 6/12/14

mdmrn wrote:


Arielgirl375 wrote:

so i was wondering what people on here think would be a good major to major in college and get a degree with. I am thinking about being a comunication major, right now im undeclared. I am also curious about journalism, and what they do. So what are CR people majoring in right now or planning to major in?

To answer the question - pick a) what makes sense to you & b) what you can get a job in. I wouldn't jump into biomedical engineering if you're not inclined to understand biology, math, or physics. But, you can pick another in demand major which you will a) find fulfilling & b) be able to get a job. Alternatively, trade school. I know a lot of people look down on it, but skilled laborers are in HIGH demand in many parts of the US & frankly, there aren't that many of them.

As for me, I have a BS & MS in Chemical Engineering. It was worthwhile for me. I currently work as an environmental engineer, so my background helped me.


thanks for the advice!
Posted 6/12/14 , edited 6/12/14

mdmrn wrote:

As for me, I have a BS & MS in Chemical Engineering. It was worthwhile for me. I currently work as an environmental engineer, so my background helped me.


My friend had that as well. Apparently very few people think about taking it as lots of universities invited him, and it's usually the other way around. He's pretty smart though, even 10 years after he got his degree his maths was still really good.
188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 6/12/14
I plan to major in Computer Science with a concentration in Video Game Development.

23684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 6/12/14
LETS BE PALEONTOLOGISTS TOGETHERRR
4752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / A rock in the mid...
Offline
Posted 6/12/14 , edited 6/12/14

Arielgirl375 wrote:


kardonius wrote:

BSIT, but the main issue with all the IT jobs it seems, they pretty much all want you to have work experience beforehand.
For anyone looking to get a degree, and job, in an IT field, try to make sure you get as much real life experience working on IT projects, open source projects, internships, volunteer IT projects for non-profits or whatever you can.


IT i looked that up but am still confused about it. is IT like a computer job or something>? or like a degree in computer science. I been seeing IT alot.


IT =Information Technology, there are degrees in it, but it's usually more of just a general field, like Engineering, Medicine, or Finance.
8989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Buttermilk
Online
Posted 6/12/14
How about doing something that you like and research how you can make. No sense in going to college for a job when you want a career.
13372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 6/12/14 , edited 6/12/14
I was at college orientation yesterday. I chose Computer Science as my major. It was the only thing that interested me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.