First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Is my Premium Membership helping the anime industry?
40021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / HI
Offline
Posted 11/15/14
Yeah, It is
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 11/15/14

nanikore2 wrote:


aListers wrote:

I'm worried in another sense. Yes, I'm supporting the industry with money but with crunchyroll fighting the piracy that brought me and thousands of others into watching and supporting the industry - I don't know if it helps the industry overall. I almost feel like it's selfish to support crunchyroll because I'll get good anime and new people won't be able to because they won't pay that much to watch it.

I mean, it looks like most people watched anime as a kid but there is much less anime on TV than when we were kids. At the same time, piracy allowed people who were curious about anime to build up a proper love for it before pledging money to support it. Whever it be in DVD/blu ray sales (which are what anime companies really care about), merchandise or just buying a crunchyroll subscription, people want to support the industry once they start to love it. Piracy is what we're built on and crunchyroll is trying to destroy it.

In terms of money though - crunchyroll is probably the best at giving money to the anime companies.


LOL what are you talking about... there are tons of illegal streaming sites and CR can't do anything to "destroy" any of those.


serifsansserif wrote:
They also are hoping to capitalize on you buying the cheap plastic crap that they make with the images of their characters... (sorry, but it's just very difficult for me to invest in the memorabilia anymore).


But think of their margins! You're "helping them" even more by buying stuff that's so cheap for them to make! ...Think of it that way

...besides, I like artbooks and soundtracks. Bet those soundtrack CDs don't cost much to stamp out by the tens of thousands.

When it comes to buying or not buying stuff, think of anime watching as incremental spending... Those who are not going to buy discs won't buy whether CR is there or not because they'd just go to the illegal streaming sites, more than plenty of those. In this "something's slightly better than nothing" point of view, Crunchyroll isn't hurting anything. Not really helping, but certainly not hurting.


smaudet2 wrote:
It would be like if your boss decided, instead of paying you a salary, to buy vouchers from another company, who then gave half of those vouchers, and whenever you got a 'raise', the boss gave this other company more vouchers but you never saw any of them. That's how insane it is.


Hahaha sounds exactly like every single publically-traded company on the planet when you take the point of view of the employees.

Companies want to make more money for their shareholders in the stock market, and not their employees. Companies give bonuses and raises basically when they have to... To keep employees from leaving for a more competitive salary LOL

Anyways I don't disagree with what you say basically- I think Crunchyroll neither helps nor hurts "the state of things".


Since this one hit upon a lot of quotes.. here we go.

1. TV is a dead medium. The streaming sites offer vastly more than was available when we were kids... But only the new stuff. And the stuff that has a very large consumer base (hence, FMA, Fairy Tail, Bleach, etc. will stream away) and the most well known stuff that steams either streams in portions or is big enough that they can. it's kind of a draw to get you to watch the less popular crap. Akira? GITS? Cowboy Bebop? Trigun? Tsukihime? Not too many places streaming those. (unless hulu picked them up.. I think they might have recently picked up trigun)It's about providing you with bulk while holding back some key properties so they can cash in on them... The internet is already turning into another "TV" with windows where you can watch something before it's off the air, and where they either try to make their money through charging a monthly fee which will start adding up till it's like paying for cable (or more)* and develop their own "packages" for sites you can stream, OR it's going to be online retail sites (or maybe even streaming sites like CR, and amazon that do both) trying to cash in on licensed downloads of stuff that's not on the air at that time. It's going to suck, and it's going to be like the TV was before.

2. I just don't care for clutter. I've kinda gotten older and having plastic figurines just doesn't exactly feel right... Or rather, I just can't feel goodabout spending $50+ on a toy. Books aren't so bad, and Ipick up a manga or two now and then... Movies.. I just haven't bought them in ages. I still have a few, including my lunchbox serial experiments lain set... They're in a box somewhere under a pile of clothes. Same with a few of my OST's. I tried to keep those out of my argument because streaming is making them more and more obsolete, but I commend you because I too wish I could OWN something rather than just stream it. The price, however, is just prohibitive in a down economy, and when I have expenses, and I'm more willing to spend money on "projects" where I'm more actively involved with rather than passively viewing.

3. Spot on... Which isn't why I "hate" CR. I really am ambivalent to them. They're kind of a "no harm, no foul" company. They don't charge an arm and a leg, and they do do something, even if, as I had been trying to argue, it's kinda minimal compared to other ways to give to the studios and artists.. It's business. It's PR saying they give back so much. They give back some, and that's great, but it's not as much as people probably think. It's not like $7.50 of you $8 monthly subscription goes to the artist. And chances are, the more viewers, the ore revenues go to them, but that's because the licensing fees may be based, much like online ads, on how any views. (it makes better business sense to get a percentage rather than a flat fee, or set up a recurring payment of sorts, such as a fee for each use, or a fee for each month, rather than give the rights away for a simple flat fee.) Nevertheless, as you said, no harm, no foul. CR's not bad, it's just that each company along the way takes their cut, (and adds their work and their expenses, so it is somewhat justifiable at times, though that can quickly turn into the inflated bureaucracy of many other industries), and what's percentage of final cost is actually recieved by the creator is usually minimal. And yes, most of the time (independent business owners are the only ones that I've encountered that MAY behave differently) businesses are about maximizing profits for the top tier owners and shareholders.

*(It's not so bad getting just netflix and CR, but if I wanted to add to that Hulu plus, and then I had an addiction to like HBO and Showtime, and then add on another paid streaming service, I'd basically be paying as much as cable for just the same quality of crap... because the majority of what a site gets is crap..)
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 11/15/14 , edited 11/15/14

nanikore2 wrote:


aListers wrote:

I'm worried in another sense. Yes, I'm supporting the industry with money but with crunchyroll fighting the piracy that brought me and thousands of others into watching and supporting the industry - I don't know if it helps the industry overall. I almost feel like it's selfish to support crunchyroll because I'll get good anime and new people won't be able to because they won't pay that much to watch it.

I mean, it looks like most people watched anime as a kid but there is much less anime on TV than when we were kids. At the same time, piracy allowed people who were curious about anime to build up a proper love for it before pledging money to support it. Whever it be in DVD/blu ray sales (which are what anime companies really care about), merchandise or just buying a crunchyroll subscription, people want to support the industry once they start to love it. Piracy is what we're built on and crunchyroll is trying to destroy it.

In terms of money though - crunchyroll is probably the best at giving money to the anime companies.


LOL what are you talking about... there are tons of illegal streaming sites and CR can't do anything to "destroy" any of those.



No but they are trying - which is the first step. Crunchyroll are trying to make people think that illegal fansubbers are somehow evil (often using scare stories) and lose the anime industry a lot of money. These hard working people are the people who introduced us to anime and crunchyroll is trying to make them the bad guys.

I do think it's ineffective to go against illegal fansubs as they will always continue to exist while legal streaming still has it's flaws. People all over the world want to watch anime and loyal fans will do whatever they can to bring it to them. Something worth watching is somthing sharing.

Thing is that if loyal fans start seeing these people as enemies then there will be less people spreading anime. less people spreading leads to less people watching which eventually leads to the industry losing money. We were built on piracy and we still need it until legal streaming gets rid of it's flaws.
13769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 11/15/14
I feel like it does. I too don't buy into the dvds and such but when I find a show that I truely like I buy the dvds so that I can watch them whenever and to support the series in a more straight forward manner.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.