First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Anime are Cartoons
8156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Connecticut, USA
Offline
Posted 6/14/14

yngvarr wrote:


togussa wrote:

Actually isn't "cartoon" a copyrighted term that applies only Warner Brothers shows? I ask because Disney doesn't call any of their shows "cartoons", neither does 20th Century Fox, but Warner Brothers does. I forgot to mention CARTOON Network.


I doubt WB owns the copyright to to the word "cartoon". The word itself is from 1843, so they'd be hard pressed to maintain any legal status )pre-existing).



Thank you. I did not know that. Still it is odd that even in American shows they are reluctant to use the word "cartoon".
17436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Bellevue Washington
Offline
Posted 6/14/14
I don't think anyone is say anime is not a cartoon. Your getting mad about something that most people already know. When you say cartoon people think of stuff like MLP or something like that because they are kid shows.
5250 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 6/14/14
Well, when I first watched Trigun, Speed Racer, Gigantor or S-Cry-Ed, I was like what an interesting cartoon, but then I found out there they were called anime. As far as I know to the person trying to say western animation is childish, well Avatar and Batman: The Animated Series would like to have a word with you. Those are the greatest western animation shows ever.
8156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Connecticut, USA
Offline
Posted 6/14/14

KurtIrving wrote:

Well, when I first watched Trigun, Speed Racer, Gigantor or S-Cry-Ed, I was like what an interesting cartoon, but then I found out there they were called anime. As far as I know to the person trying to say western animation is childish, well Avatar and Batman: The Animated Series would like to have a word with you. Those are the greatest western animation shows ever.


The funny thing is that way back before there were televisions in every house (20's-40's) cartoons drew almost as many adults into theatres as they did children. Meaning the shorts they showed weren't always childish. (Betty Boop in the original "Cinderella")
75662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 6/14/14 , edited 6/14/14

Jinzhu wrote: Apparently everyone who makes a post saying they aren't. I'm just proving a point.

Accidentally proving a point why people post the opposite, I guess:

A cartoon is a form of two-dimensional illustrated visual art. While the specific definition has changed over time, modern usage refers to a typically non-realistic or semi-realistic drawing or painting intended for satire, caricature, or humor, or to the artistic style of such works.


That "modern usage" means "modern usage in the US", so its no accident that people from the country where it is most often assumed that animated cartoons are "typically intended" for satire, caricature or humor would say of animation that are often intended for other entertainment purposes to insist that they are "not cartoons".

Obviously, take away that parochial and narrow US assumption about what cartoons are, and you remove what people are most commonly objecting to when objecting to anime being called "cartoons".

One Punch Mod
85923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 6/14/14

AnimeKami wrote:

Why is this thread still alive?


Because no one reported it, and I and other mods forgot there was a recent thread in General Discussion (I'd remembered only the one in Anime which was sufficiently old that it seemed fine to let another thread start.)

Anyway, I did come across that recent thread and I agree that this is an unnecessary duplicate, so I'm closing it. Those who wish to discuss the topic may do so here:

General Discussion forum (most recent): /forumtopic-853019/how-do-you-feel-about-anime-being-called-cartoons

or here:

Anime forum (last posted to in early May): /forumtopic-807827/the-anime-is-a-cartoon-argument

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.