Teenage Finn and Adventure Time
22236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 6/17/14
Anybody else tired of Finn's teenage angst on Adventure Time?

I'm hoping with Finn hitting rock bottom in the episode of "Breezy" that this period of jerky teenage macho display to impress girls is over and we can get to see more of Ooo and now that his dad is living in space is there a connection to Bravest Warrior or not.

But if there's anymore episodes like Breezy, I think I'm done with Adventure Time. (Still Cringing at the thought)

45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/17/14
Yes. How dare you put character development in my Adventure time. How dare you let the character age and hit puberty like all humans, which he is one, do. How could you let this character mature mentally and physically? What are you? A writer?

Posted 6/17/14
C'mon man, you're 32 complaining about a show for kids?

24257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/20/14

Urboistar wrote:

C'mon man, you're 32 complaining about a show for kids?



Damn, shots fired!

No seriously though. Finn is a teenager, his voice actor is one too. Kids and teens are the target audience. It makes all the sense in the world why that show is the way it is.
153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
I think it's kind of refreshing to see finn battling with what- i interpret as, anyway- depression. it was kind of a weird thing for the outlet for his depression to be girls, but that was the writer putting his life experience into the episode as i understand. this isn't something we get to see in cartoons very often and i welcome it tbh.

though i think we might be out of the woods, or at least we're ready to be out of the woods.

i do wish his arm was still gone though :/ that was a really cool consequence that had been foreshadowed for a very long time, and i was hoping it would be more permanent.
22236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 6/24/14 , edited 6/29/14

MysticGon wrote:


Urboistar wrote:

C'mon man, you're 32 complaining about a show for kids?



Damn, shots fired!

No seriously though. Finn is a teenager, his voice actor is one too. Kids and teens are the target audience. It makes all the sense in the world why that show is the way it is.


No kidding

I like the show, I really do. I just not sure I like the direction of where they're taking Finn; and it makes sense, (I won't deny that) but him trying to impress girls and looking lame was kindof "Ha Ha" in the beginning but now (after Breezy) is getting old and making our hero kindof pathetic.

I really would think it would be better for Adventure Time if they had Finn focus on becoming a better hero who explores the world of Ooo then having him become a forlorn romantic. And I was just wondering what other people felt about the direction they're taking Finn, the episode of Breezy and the direction of Adventure Time in general ... because for as popular as that show is I don't see a lot of discussion about it on Crunchy Roll other then "What Cartoon am I watching right now." Thread.

And the only reason, I complain is because I care!!!!



zebrathinker wrote:

I think it's kind of refreshing to see finn battling with what- i interpret as, anyway- depression. it was kind of a weird thing for the outlet for his depression to be girls, but that was the writer putting his life experience into the episode as i understand. this isn't something we get to see in cartoons very often and i welcome it tbh.

though i think we might be out of the woods, or at least we're ready to be out of the woods.

i do wish his arm was still gone though :/ that was a really cool consequence that had been foreshadowed for a very long time, and i was hoping it would be more permanent.


I was having fun with that because you're right. We don't get to see that in Cartoons very often: Finn going through a break up, dealing with the fallout of that and trying to go back to PB and then trying to go back FP only to lose out to Cinnamon Bun. It's a much better production then what I kindof mocked in the first season. (I really thought it was going to get cancelled in the first season or two when I first saw it). Thanks to a couple of friends who got me to give the show another look. It has grown on me

It helped that Lt. Commander Wolf did a voice over role in Freak City And Commander Sulu is Recardio!

I like seeing Finn go through teenage angst. I like him trying to impress girls but then again there's a certain point when you've like "Can my hero just win big, please and not in a life or death battle where you know he's has to pull a win or die but in a life sense.


1180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Iowa
Offline
Posted 7/1/14 , edited 7/1/14
I don't mind the teenage Finn actually, although some of the stuff he's doing is making me cringe lol. It's so bad, the writers really like throwing in that more adult-like humor. I'm not entirely sure they're going for the younger audience as much anymore because the fanbase is mostly young adults and upwards.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/14
I like how interesting and dynamic Finn is as a character. He is going through some tough stuff and he is dealing with it like a person, not like a hero. He still does heroic things but hes got problems and that is one of the things that makes AT so compelling. While Breezy was a super cringe-worthy episode, I don't think that is a bad thing. I think it was funny because of how awkward it was and the character progression and story progression both worked really well in tandem with that.

Also, Food Chain was an amazing episode...Yuasa is a great director/writer
11641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
101 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/14
lemongrab is love lemongrab is life
Sailor Candy Moderator
200584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/22/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
You must be logged in to post.