First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Dub Pronunciations
16121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/17/14
When it comes to dubbed anime, I've noticed that on very rare occasions the VA's pronounce names,moves,places, etc. with a Japanese accent instead of trying some other way. For example: in Naruto Shippuden, Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Sasuke) pronounces Narutos' name with a Japanese accent but Dave Wittenberg (voice of Kakashi) along with many other VA's pronounce it differently. Is there a specific reason for this?
61600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/17/14
is there a reason? yes. because they just don't care enough to get it right.
104103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 6/17/14
how did the bleach dub fair with the spanish?
17162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Los Angeles,Calif...
Offline
Posted 6/17/14

AnimeKami wrote:

how did the bleach dub fair with the spanish?


It was hit and miss some VA's got the resurrection names right others didn't or had glaring accents but I don't fault them for it
its pretty time consuming and hard to learn how to say something correctly in another language
17162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Los Angeles,Calif...
Offline
Posted 6/17/14

rojellio236 wrote:

When it comes to dubbed anime, I've noticed that on very rare occasions the VA's pronounce names,moves,places, etc. with a Japanese accent instead of trying some other way. For example: in Naruto Shippuden, Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Sasuke) pronounces Narutos' name with a Japanese accent but Dave Wittenberg (voice of Kakashi) along with many other VA's pronounce it differently. Is there a specific reason for this?


Yuri can speak Japanese and spent some time with the Japanese government so he knows when and how to throw the accent around
basically he has experience that other voice actors do not have
16121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/17/14

cancersaint69 wrote:


rojellio236 wrote:

When it comes to dubbed anime, I've noticed that on very rare occasions the VA's pronounce names,moves,places, etc. with a Japanese accent instead of trying some other way. For example: in Naruto Shippuden, Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Sasuke) pronounces Narutos' name with a Japanese accent but Dave Wittenberg (voice of Kakashi) along with many other VA's pronounce it differently. Is there a specific reason for this?


Yuri can speak Japanese and spent some time with the Japanese government so he knows when and how to throw the accent around
basically he has experience that other voice actors do not have


So basically, if they can say it, they will but if they can't, they won't?
17162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Los Angeles,Calif...
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

rojellio236 wrote:


cancersaint69 wrote:


rojellio236 wrote:

When it comes to dubbed anime, I've noticed that on very rare occasions the VA's pronounce names,moves,places, etc. with a Japanese accent instead of trying some other way. For example: in Naruto Shippuden, Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Sasuke) pronounces Narutos' name with a Japanese accent but Dave Wittenberg (voice of Kakashi) along with many other VA's pronounce it differently. Is there a specific reason for this?


Yuri can speak Japanese and spent some time with the Japanese government so he knows when and how to throw the accent around
basically he has experience that other voice actors do not have


So basically, if they can say it, they will but if they can't, they won't?


I think they try but language barriers get in the way
For example I went with a few buddies of mine to a mexican restaurant and one of my friends is a white guy that doesnt know spanish so when the time came for us to order he wanted ceviche but he pronounced it see-vi-chay
the mistake in the pronunciation wasn't his fault he just had never heard the word in spanish before so he tried to say it in english.
I think its similar with voice actors they are just given the script of what to say but have no idea on how to pronounce it or where to accentuate certain parts of a word so they just wing it the only way they know how in english
16121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

cancersaint69 wrote:


rojellio236 wrote:


cancersaint69 wrote:


rojellio236 wrote:

When it comes to dubbed anime, I've noticed that on very rare occasions the VA's pronounce names,moves,places, etc. with a Japanese accent instead of trying some other way. For example: in Naruto Shippuden, Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Sasuke) pronounces Narutos' name with a Japanese accent but Dave Wittenberg (voice of Kakashi) along with many other VA's pronounce it differently. Is there a specific reason for this?


Yuri can speak Japanese and spent some time with the Japanese government so he knows when and how to throw the accent around
basically he has experience that other voice actors do not have


So basically, if they can say it, they will but if they can't, they won't?


I think they try but language barriers get in the way
For example I went with a few buddies of mine to a mexican restaurant and one of my friends is a white guy that doesnt know spanish so when the time came for us to order he wanted ceviche but he pronounced it see-vi-chay
the mistake in the pronunciation wasn't his fault he just had never heard the word in spanish before so he tried to say it in english.
I think its similar with voice actors they are just given the script of what to say but have no idea on how to pronounce it or where to accentuate certain parts of a word so they just wing it the only way they know how in english


Well that's unfortunate
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/18/14
Meanwhile, as I wait for the sub elitists to once again bash dubs on even simplest mistakes.
25026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 6/18/14
And yet no one mentions the opposite... cause we all know Japanese VAs have perfect pronunciation of all non Japanese words and names. Nope just the English VAs that make "mistakes".
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 6/18/14 , edited 6/18/14

rojellio236 wrote:

Well that's unfortunate


Well, actually, in dubbing (as far as I'm aware) now, they're told (by the voice director, who in turn gets the pronunciation from the guy, forget the exact job title, who coordinates with the original Japanese staff, as well as countless other things I'm not going into) how to pronounce it (oftentimes). Though, whether they get the pronunciation 100% right has to do more with them not rolling their R's or other stuff like that. Some people have speech problems that prevent them from doing so, etc. Tons of factors go into it. Some people just can't do it, no matter how hard they try. It's not their fault, you know?

Sometimes, they are told to just "wing it", but that's on the voice director, not them. I think, when they do that, at least from my experience (which, is mainly lots of research), the voice director is trying to get the most out of the cast, reassuring what sounds good and what doesn't, what's comfortable for them, what fits better with the script, etc. that sort of thing.

Like the dub for Attack on Titan:

Berthold = “Bear-told”
Reiner = “Reye-na”
Jean = “Jzaahn”
Erwin = “Irvin”

They used European pronunciation, for reasons I can agree with.

It's not black and white. It's not because they don't care (if they didn't care when why the hell are they doing something as expensive as voice acting in the first place?).

Like the poster above me pointed out as well, everything people say about English or French or German voice actors and actresses can be thrown right back at the Japanese voice actors and actresses.


qualeshia3 wrote:

Meanwhile, as I wait for the sub elitists to once again bash dubs on even simplest mistakes.


They already have.
42457 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

MacMeaties wrote:

And yet no one mentions the opposite... cause we all know Japanese VAs have perfect pronunciation of all non Japanese words and names. Nope just the English VAs that make "mistakes".


Fucking this, FINALLY!
81337 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Inside Lorreen's...
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

MacMeaties wrote:

And yet no one mentions the opposite... cause we all know Japanese VAs have perfect pronunciation of all non Japanese words and names. Nope just the English VAs that make "mistakes".


That is because Engrish makes us raugh.

As for other languages I see Japanese usually speak in Anime... French and German seem to be prevalent a lot... and they seem to rarely get that wrong from what I remember of the two languages... which to me makes their Engrish even funnier cause they still can't pronounce half of that right.
52119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

Stonewolfe wrote:

That is because Engrish makes us raugh.

As for other languages I see Japanese usually speak in Anime... French and German seem to be prevalent a lot... and they seem to rarely get that wrong from what I remember of the two languages... which to me makes their Engrish even funnier cause they still can't pronounce half of that right.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykf4D4-aKHg
62812 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/18/14 , edited 6/18/14

qualeshia3 wrote:
Meanwhile, as I wait for the sub elitists to once again bash dubs on even simplest mistakes.

If VA's actually put the effort in, most people would not complain. When they half ass it like Mako's English VA in the Kill la Kill dub who cannot even pronounce her own last name, then it sounds horrible.

Afaik, Engrish exists because they use English words in Japan, but pronounced completely different. So if you say it "correctly" in English, you are saying in incorrectly in Japanese. Most Japanese would get it wrong because they learned the language the wrong way. I remember when I was being taught English in another country, it was a laughably horrible way to teach.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.