First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Dub Pronunciations
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 6/18/14

MacMeaties wrote:

And yet no one mentions the opposite... cause we all know Japanese VAs have perfect pronunciation of all non Japanese words and names. Nope just the English VAs that make "mistakes".
In their defense, at least the characters speaking Engrish are usually Japanese. I generally speaking don't mind your average Japanese High School kid butchering English, we do it all the time with Spanish in the US, and it is realistic for them to be doing so because its what they do in real life. Its the supposedly "native English speakers" that speak it so poorly that bother me. They really need to recruit some bilingual folks where English is the first language into the anime industry.

On a related note in Chihayafuru,
43729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

bathroom64 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:
Meanwhile, as I wait for the sub elitists to once again bash dubs on even simplest mistakes.


If VA's actually put the effort in, most people would not complain. When they half ass it like Mako's English VA in the Kill la Kill dub who cannot even pronounce her own last name, then it sounds horrible.

Afaik, Engrish exists because they use English words in Japan, but pronounced completely different. So if you say it "correctly" in English, you are saying in incorrectly in Japanese. Most Japanese would get it wrong because they learned the language the wrong way. I remember when I was being taught English in another country, it was a laughably horrible way to teach.



Are you a sub elitist by any chance? I'm just asking.
63003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/18/14 , edited 6/18/14

qualeshia3 wrote:
Are you a sub elitist by any chance? I'm just asking.

I really hate the DBZ Japanese voices.
43729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

bathroom64 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:
Are you a sub elitist by any chance? I'm just asking.

I really hate the DBZ Japanese voices.


Don't care about that. You didn't answer the question correctly.
63003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/18/14 , edited 6/18/14

qualeshia3 wrote:
Don't care about that. You didn't answer the question correctly.

I did. I can see merit in both dubs and subs. Which is why I gave you an example of a horrible sub voice.

If you want, I could give you a full list of anime where the Japanese voice actors dragged the anime down, but I gave an example that is easy enough to understand...
43729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 6/18/14


Fair enough.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 6/18/14

bathroom64 wrote:
Afaik, Engrish exists because they use English words in Japan, but pronounced completely different. So if you say it "correctly" in English, you are saying in incorrectly in Japanese. Most Japanese would get it wrong because they learned the language the wrong way. I remember when I was being taught English in another country, it was a laughably horrible way to teach.
It depends on what you mean by learning the language wrong. While its true there are Engrish speakers randomly tossing in poorly spoken English, there are also, like you might have been trying to say, Japanese words rooted in English that are in fact spoken correctly because they are not actually attempting to use English but rather Japanese that sounds like English. It probably seems more jarring than it should because Japanese and English are normally quite different from each other, but its really no different in these cases than comparing words like Refrigerator(English) and Refrigerador(Spanish). This is especially true of terms that weren't created, or weren't universally relevant prior to global discourse becoming common.
63003 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/18/14

AsahinaInu wrote:
It depends on what you mean by learning the language wrong.

I mean in a high school classroom. High school is a bad place to learn another language. You learn bad mannerisms that are hard to get rid of.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Online
Posted 6/18/14

bathroom64 wrote:


AsahinaInu wrote:
It depends on what you mean by learning the language wrong.

I mean in a high school classroom. High school is a bad place to learn another language. You learn bad mannerisms that are hard to get rid of.
Ah yeah. That's true. It helps a bit I guess if the actual teacher is a native speaker, but then again most of classroom language learning is based off of bouncing off fellow classmates and books.

40581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/18/14
I have no doubt the "Engrish" is often intentional. There have been Japanese VAs who speak English well but use Engrish for certain roles, particularly the "moe" characters.
Sailor Candy Moderator
206118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.