Seeking Artists & Designers
Posted 6/19/14 , edited 8/18/14
Seeking aspiring artists and designers of all ages, who wish to have a chance to publish their artwork on a website for free. Shoot me a PM and we will chat about it more. Thanks for your time.
29338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/19/14 , edited 8/18/14
OR they can publish their artwork on their own websites for free and build a reputation that would eventually attract people that realize that art is actually worth money...

You know, instead of giving you their art for free...
Posted 6/20/14 , edited 8/19/14


Someone obviously doesn't know how to read. Just because she said the key word "free" does not mean she's saying to give her the work while nothing happens to them . What she is implying is that not everyone can build a website and she is offering young artists to get into the light and she is helping their name get out there. She's not taking their work to profit. She is taking their work to help them get a name.

Not everyone is internet savvy and know how to make a website. Not everyone knows how to get their name out there and for some they might deem it a failure. If you read it instead of jumping to conclusions you'd know she is meaning that she is going to show their artwork on her website and teach them how to represent themselves and get their work out there.

How do I know you ask? Simple, I took her offer a while back. I know she's not ripping people off. She has taught me so much and because of her i have the courage to join sites to sell my designs and make money off of it.
29338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/14 , edited 8/18/14
Or you're just naive. Tumblr, Blogspot, Wordpress...all sites that are free and so easy to set up you don't need any instructions. Not only that but you can just sign up at Deviantart and have a dedicated gallery for all your artwork immediately. I've been a professional artist for 10 years, don't take my word for it...
Posted 6/20/14 , edited 8/19/14

unitzer07 wrote:

Or you're just naive. Tumblr, Blogspot, Wordpress...all sites that are free and so easy to set up you don't need any instructions. Not only that but you can just sign up at Deviantart and have a dedicated gallery for all your artwork immediately. I've been a professional artist for 10 years, don't take my word for it...


Really, naive? Just because when I see an opportunity I take it? Wordpress is not easy at all. Free yes, easy, no. Putting your work on there is one thing, getting people to actually take the time and look at it is another. I am on deviantart and all I get is those spam accounts and rude people thinking they're all high and mighty because they have more people watching them. So they talk down to others. I see no point in being rude when she is simply trying to help others become known. It's not as easy as you say it is, no matter if you have ten years of experience. There is nothing wrong with having other people help get your name out there.
29338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/14 , edited 8/18/14
This will be my final reply so take it as you will:


-MissUki wrote:


Someone obviously doesn't know how to read....What she is implying is that not everyone can build a website and she is offering young artists to get into the light and she is helping their name get out there. She's not taking their work to profit. She is taking their work to help them get a name.

Not everyone is internet savvy and know how to make a website. Not everyone knows how to get their name out there and for some they might deem it a failure. If you read it instead of jumping to conclusions you'd know she is meaning that she is going to show their artwork on her website and teach them how to represent themselves and get their work out there.


Let's examine the original post since according to you I "don't know how to read..."



badasspink wrote:

Seeking aspiring artists and designers of all ages, who wish to have a chance to publish their artwork on a website for free. Shoot me a PM and we will chat about it more. Thanks for your time.


What does this statement say?

I'm looking for artists and designers of all ages to submit work to me for free to publish on a website. Private message me and we'll talk more.


-MissUki wrote:
What she is implying is that not everyone can build a website and she is offering young artists to get into the light and she is helping their name get out there. She's not taking their work to profit. She is taking their work to help them get a name.


Nowhere in that original post has badasspink said anything to that effect. She does not mention trying to mentor artists, she does not mention helping them get their name out there. The statement simply says, "submit your work for free and it will be published on a website."

Now this doesn't mean that your friend has shady intentions...but I'll get to why it seems shady in a minute...


-MissUki wrote:

Really, naive? Just because when I see an opportunity I take it? Wordpress is not easy at all. Free yes, easy, no. Putting your work on there is one thing, getting people to actually take the time and look at it is another. I am on deviantart and all I get is those spam accounts and rude people thinking they're all high and mighty because they have more people watching them. So they talk down to others. I see no point in being rude when she is simply trying to help others become known. It's not as easy as you say it is, no matter if you have ten years of experience. There is nothing wrong with having other people help get your name out there.


No, naive because your reactions give away your lack of life experience. I know for a fact Wordpress has templates that you can start off with and can become very complex once you're ready to really customize your site. Blogger and Tumblr are so easy children can, and do, use them. Deviantart...well if you're upset by some people being "rude" whatever that means you might as well quit this ambition of being an artist right now because I guarantee you the professional art world is much worse. When you can't perform up to standards in the professional art world you're fired. That's the reality of the world you're trying to get into.

It is absolutely as easy as I say it is. Focus on improving your art skills and never stay satisfied with the level you're at or other more competitive and driven people will leave you behind. The truth is harsh, but I feel you need a little dose of it.

If you're really interested in becoming a professional level artist I suggest you start here:

"Don't Go to art school, resources on becoming a professional artist"

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/138c5efd45e9

That website has all the resources you need to take your art to the next level and beyond.

Now on to why this post is shady:


badasspink wrote:

Seeking aspiring artists and designers of all ages, who wish to have a chance to publish their artwork on a website for free. Shoot me a PM and we will chat about it more. Thanks for your time.


1) Asking for others to contribute art to an unknown website.

Why hasn't the OP provided a link to the website? You would think in this situation that the OP would want to be as transparent as possible so people don't think they're being taken advantage of. Instead OP omits any relevant information for more savvy artists out there to actually do some research.

2) Asking for other's art for free.

What is the purpose of publishing the art on the website? It's never mentioned. Why is OP asking for free artwork? What exactly does the OP have to gain from this? All these questions remain unanswered and again the lack of information leads me to be suspicious of the OP's motives. Most young and inexperienced artists wouldn't be suspicious and would "jump at the chance" to be published on a website. That's exactly the reason why you should be suspicious. It might not be the case, but the OP hasn't done enough to eliminate suspicion.

3) Publishing art on the internet is stupid easy.

As I stated earlier, Deviantart, Tumblr, Wordpress, Blogger. All these websites are free and have templates for easy use. With the existence of youtube, people have hundreds of tutorials for any of these sites at the tips of their fingers. There really is no plausible excuse for anyone to not be able to self publish their artwork online. I've never had any problems with Deviantart and as I said earlier, if you're going to aspire to be a professional artist, you're going to have to have a thick skin.

Good luck in your endeavors. From the artwork I was able to find, I would say you should probably focus on foundation techniques for now. Follow that link to useful resources on how to get started.
Posted 6/20/14 , edited 8/19/14
Hmmm, well I do agree that she should have given more detail and a site. However, the way you conducted it was not exactly the best way to do so. Instead of saying that you could have inquired more. I get the whole "thick skin" thing though people do not have to insult the other person which is what people on deviantart do for some reason. They ignore all questions that could help an inspiring artist or they completely answer them rudely. That is different than having to deal with an actual business job not liking your work. That is an idol that the person looks up to and in the end they're rude. Not saying all do but the ones I have met do.

I am working on my own to get my name out there but as well showcasing it with her, there is nothing wrong with that at all. Working with someone is a great way to learn the ropes. I will of course take your tips and regard them but instead of saying what you did try to talk to her like you have done me. Give her tips instead of calling her out. In the end connections, and technique get you known. Nothing wrong with having as many connections as you want.

I personally find wordpress a foreign language but I am learning HTML and CSS to help me gain an understanding of web design. However, not a lot of people can learn it so easily. Which in turn is why they work for people or work with people who handle that aspect of the job. I don't believe tumblr to be the best way to get your artwork out there, to be honest.

Maybe next time instead of trying to be sarcastic ask for more information so that others can know as well. I don't expect you to reply to this or probably even read it since I'm not quoting you. But I felt like saying what I had to say. Everyone should help each other instead of being sarcastic, or rude. (Probably sound like a hypocrite since I was mildly rude. But I was caught up in the moment).
34019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Online
Posted 7/10/14 , edited 8/19/14

unitzer07 wrote:

OR they can publish their artwork on their own websites for free and build a reputation that would eventually attract people that realize that art is actually worth money...

You know, instead of giving you their art for free...


I'm getting sick your seeing you always being a total prick on these kinds of threads. Now just leave all of these people alone and go do whatever it s you do. Because regardless of what you believe I have met may writers, voice actors, programmers, and musicians who are all willing to work for free.

Why is art the exception to the rule? Why is art the only one out all of these that "is actually worth money". As a matter fact while you're saying
all of this crap all of the time, I've even met artists who are willing to work for free. 10 years of experience mean nothing if you don't have the real world experience to back it up. You could have 60 years of experience and it still wouldn't make a difference.
29338 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/14 , edited 8/18/14

dwilson2000 wrote:
Why is art the exception to the rule?


It isn't, and everything I'm about to say applies to any craft or profession.

The attitude that people should just be willing to work for free is somewhat insulting to anyone who has to pay bills or provide for their family. Sure, people who are hungry to break in or prove themselves may be willing to work for free. However, if you ask any professional who's been working in the industry they'll tell you that those people willing to work for free actually hurt the industry. By working for free or barely any pay they're actually lowering the quality of life for everyone in the industry by driving down wages. Working for free devalues art as a medium and as a profession. The companies see that art is easy to get for free and think, "Well why should we have to pay for it?" This actually happens in the industry, in the real world. There will be times when volunteering may be appropriate, like helping out a friend, but for a company or group who will eventually profit off of a project, there's really no reason to volunteer. (See this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3514540/workforfree.jpg)

In my 10 years of real world experience in the animation industry, I've seen many people taken advantage of and this is what I learned: if you demand pay for your work, people respect you and pay you what you're owed. If you allow yourself to be walked all over and work for free, then all you'll end up with is frustration and an empty belly. In the end I'm really trying to look out for those artists who will be unknowingly taken advantage of. Having real world experience with these situations, I can tell you first hand how frustrating it is to be taken advantage of and learned early on how to stand up for myself and value my craft.

If you're interested in seeing my professional credits feel free to check out my IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2774098/?ref_=fn_al_nm_3

I haven't updated it in a while but there should be plenty on there...There's also my short film wip thread if you want to see what I've been up to over the past year:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-823177/red-sails-indie-sci-fi-anime-pilot-development-thread

That's what I do man...my wife and I started an animation studio and one of my goals is to appropriately value my eventual employees. So I'm trying to be the change I want to see both in my art and my business.

Stay tuned,

-07-
34019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Online
Posted 8/14/14 , edited 8/19/14

unitzer07 wrote:


dwilson2000 wrote:
Why is art the exception to the rule?


It isn't, and everything I'm about to say applies to any craft or profession.

The attitude that people should just be willing to work for free is somewhat insulting to anyone who has to pay bills or provide for their family. Sure, people who are hungry to break in or prove themselves may be willing to work for free. However, if you ask any professional who's been working in the industry they'll tell you that those people willing to work for free actually hurt the industry. By working for free or barely any pay they're actually lowering the quality of life for everyone in the industry by driving down wages. Working for free devalues art as a medium and as a profession. The companies see that art is easy to get for free and think, "Well why should we have to pay for it?" This actually happens in the industry, in the real world. There will be times when volunteering may be appropriate, like helping out a friend, but for a company or group who will eventually profit off of a project, there's really no reason to volunteer. (See this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3514540/workforfree.jpg)

In my 10 years of real world experience in the animation industry, I've seen many people taken advantage of and this is what I learned: if you demand pay for your work, people respect you and pay you what you're owed. If you allow yourself to be walked all over and work for free, then all you'll end up with is frustration and an empty belly. In the end I'm really trying to look out for those artists who will be unknowingly taken advantage of. Having real world experience with these situations, I can tell you first hand how frustrating it is to be taken advantage of and learned early on how to stand up for myself and value my craft.

If you're interested in seeing my professional credits feel free to check out my IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2774098/?ref_=fn_al_nm_3

I haven't updated it in a while but there should be plenty on there...There's also my short film wip thread if you want to see what I've been up to over the past year:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-823177/red-sails-indie-sci-fi-anime-pilot-development-thread

That's what I do man...my wife and I started an animation studio and one of my goals is to appropriately value my eventual employees. So I'm trying to be the change I want to see both in my art and my business.

Stay tuned,

-07-


Okay but that still doesn't answer anything. First of all if you have to pay bills you really shouldn't be relying on the entertainment industry for money. Get a part-time job like every reasonable person who has to pay bills does. People working for free isn't hurting anyone let alone the industry. Also no one is gonna get taken advantage of considering most of the time when someone asks someone else to work for free it's because that person doesn't have any money themselves and won't profit off of the project at all. You're not doing anyone ever favors and you're in denial if you think are.

Also no offense but I have no intention at looking at the works of someone who values money over their craft.
10005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/15/14 , edited 8/18/14

dwilson2000

First of all if you have to pay bills you really shouldn't be relying on the entertainment industry for money. Get a part-time job like every reasonable person who has to pay bills does. People working for free isn't hurting anyone let alone the industry.



"You sir, are an idiot"
-Every working artist ever
2266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / on the chair
Offline
Posted 8/19/14 , edited 8/24/14

dwilson2000 wrote:


unitzer07 wrote:


dwilson2000 wrote:
Why is art the exception to the rule?


It isn't, and everything I'm about to say applies to any craft or profession.

The attitude that people should just be willing to work for free is somewhat insulting to anyone who has to pay bills or provide for their family. Sure, people who are hungry to break in or prove themselves may be willing to work for free. However, if you ask any professional who's been working in the industry they'll tell you that those people willing to work for free actually hurt the industry. By working for free or barely any pay they're actually lowering the quality of life for everyone in the industry by driving down wages. Working for free devalues art as a medium and as a profession. The companies see that art is easy to get for free and think, "Well why should we have to pay for it?" This actually happens in the industry, in the real world. There will be times when volunteering may be appropriate, like helping out a friend, but for a company or group who will eventually profit off of a project, there's really no reason to volunteer. (See this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3514540/workforfree.jpg)

In my 10 years of real world experience in the animation industry, I've seen many people taken advantage of and this is what I learned: if you demand pay for your work, people respect you and pay you what you're owed. If you allow yourself to be walked all over and work for free, then all you'll end up with is frustration and an empty belly. In the end I'm really trying to look out for those artists who will be unknowingly taken advantage of. Having real world experience with these situations, I can tell you first hand how frustrating it is to be taken advantage of and learned early on how to stand up for myself and value my craft.

If you're interested in seeing my professional credits feel free to check out my IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2774098/?ref_=fn_al_nm_3

I haven't updated it in a while but there should be plenty on there...There's also my short film wip thread if you want to see what I've been up to over the past year:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-823177/red-sails-indie-sci-fi-anime-pilot-development-thread

That's what I do man...my wife and I started an animation studio and one of my goals is to appropriately value my eventual employees. So I'm trying to be the change I want to see both in my art and my business.

Stay tuned,

-07-


Okay but that still doesn't answer anything. First of all if you have to pay bills you really shouldn't be relying on the entertainment industry for money. Get a part-time job like every reasonable person who has to pay bills does. People working for free isn't hurting anyone let alone the industry. Also no one is gonna get taken advantage of considering most of the time when someone asks someone else to work for free it's because that person doesn't have any money themselves and won't profit off of the project at all. You're not doing anyone ever favors and you're in denial if you think are.

Also no offense but I have no intention at looking at the works of someone who values money over their craft.


I honestly cannot tell if you are trolling or serious, Dwilson, I mean,



Get a part-time job like every reasonable person who has to pay bills does.


Really? So every reasonable person who pays bills has a part-time job? There are people who work full-time or freelance too. In matter of fact, if you have a full-time job and yet still have to work part-time at another place it is usually because one is not making enough to make ends meet.

I would like to tell anyone else who happens to stumble into this thread that Unitzer has brought up legitimate concerns here and does not deserve to be bashed for it a countless number of times as he/she already has been in this thread.

While OP's intentions may be genuine and they might be truly interested in helping young, inspiring artists, it is not particularly clear through their post. Unfortunately, due to the lack of details given front-up, their post draws parallels to the many "for exposure"
( https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt ) type posts you can easily find all over the web.

And this:


Also no one is gonna get taken advantage of considering most of the time when someone asks someone else to work for free it's because that person doesn't have any money themselves and won't profit off of the project at all. You're not doing anyone ever favors and you're in denial if you think are.


This here, is exactly what taking advantage is all about. Since we are on the topic of artists specifically and the related industry, asking someone to work for free, that is, in the manner of "this is your chance!" and all variants, because the person requesting does not have the money to pay is taking advantage. It is taking advantage of an artist's time and effort poured into a project for the sake of exposure which most of the time, they do not even get. Taking advantage of their hope of perhaps having a breakthrough and attempts to sell a dream. You say no one's being done any favours when an artist works for a person they don't really know, but in reality, this person they are working for is getting a favour done for them, all for free. How? By spouting empty promises of success.



Now, as previously mentioned somewhere in this thread, OP may actually be a very honest helper but too often one can find people who are not. Please understand that Unitzer and any other artist has reason to be wary.


One Punch Mod
85782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 12/17/14
Closed because OP nuked.
You must be logged in to post.