First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Anonymity of the Web
20142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 6/21/14

demongurrl13 wrote:

I don't think it makes us "worse" people. I believe that whatever despicable attitudes people display on the internet are innately there. It's just that the internet gives people more freedom to indulge those tendencies more often than they do out in public.

I mean.. None of us are walking angels. We have to conform and act accordingly when we're out just to keep up appearances. We bite our tongues most of the time to keep the peace and follow the rules to keep life simple. Being in a space where none of society's everyday restrictions are present usually lets people "let loose" somehow and speak freely without thinking things through or wondering about the consequences..

In short, the internet isn't a thing that creates assholes. It's the place where assholes are free to come and visit whenever they want.


^ This.

I think anonymity does tempt people to mess around with others more because they think that no one will know it was them. However, there are just as many people who are rude even when they use their real names online. I think because we don't see each other, that it's easier to hurt someone through technology. Anonymity just makes it even easier, especially for people who would be too scared to do/say these things irl.

But I don't think it makes us worse. At the end of the day, even if your name and face aren't attached to your words, your personality and emotions are. You choose what you say. Being anonymous doesn't make you a jerk, being a jerk makes you a jerk. If anything, I think anonymity allows you to be who you really are, which in some cases is good and in others not so much.
7678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
Yes, being anonymous online can be pretty harsh because they can insult you all they want without a consequence and most likely wouldn't say the same insults to you in person. It's sad, but that's the internet for you.
7 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
73 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
I know what you're talking about, and I have to say, it was both a disgusting and beautiful message about human nature what I saw last night.

There are people on this very forum who encouraged a man to kill himself over the internet, and despite what they may say, I just don't believe that they would've done the same thing if they had been face to face with him. There are others however, whose anonymity gave them strength, and who posted beautiful things, all to try to help. I think it would've been a lot harder for a lot of them to say those things face to face as well.

The anonymous nature of the internet will not just make the good people of the world evil, but it simply exaggerates everybody's tendencies, whether they are good or bad. Unfortunately, because we are human, it is more difficult to look past the bad and see the good than to let the bad take over the good...
17486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
People who have not gone to /b/ are internet virgins.
3259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fenix, AZ
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
It doesn't make anyone worse or better, the only thing it does is allow people to say what they want. I'm not going to get into the morality or ethics that people misuse because of that freedom, but I would say that the OPTION to say what they want/feel is a good thing, even if the outcome is negative. There are always negative sides to everything good.

GerryO 
19624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Tyler, Texas
Offline
Posted 6/21/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:

People who have not gone to /b/ are internet virgins.


33372 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 6/21/14 , edited 6/21/14
I think it's less about anonymity and more about the web just being really impersonal in comparison to face to face conversation in general. When you speak to anyone online, all you usually see is an avatar and text (unless it's voice or video chat). This barely engages even one of the five senses (sight) we normally use in face to face conversation and you don't see the person anyway unless they've chosen an avatar that is actually themselves. To make my point, let me tell you, I've held "tech support" jobs both in-person and over the phone, and seriously over the phone, as only hearing is used, I tended to get alot more seemingly violent and irate customers.

Also, tbh if I met someone suicidal in real life, unlike the people who were acting "righteously" and saying that the person should call a suicide hotline or that CR should call the police on that now locked discussion, I would not call the cops unless they were making a scene or causing a public disturbance (unlike many who kept mentioning that on there) or tell them to call a suicide hotline...because neither of those options are "safe". They are liable to get locked up against their will in either situation (suicide hotlines routinely call the authorities) so neither of those options/recommendations will make them feel safe, and when you're dealing with someone in distress--their feelings of safety (freedom to act of their own accord is part of that) are top priority! Suicide and depression usually occur due to bottled up feelings after all, and with those options you're just encouraging them to hold it all in.
Sogno- 
46386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/21/14

Phersu wrote:


severticas wrote:

what happened last night?


The Matrix crashed.


shoulda gone with the blue pill, then you would have never known it crashed
Posted 6/21/14 , edited 6/21/14
What happened last night left me quite speechless!
Just to see what couple of people had to say on the matter was pitiful.
Even if it was a joke it didn't matter.
The internet allows people to freely say stupid and hurtful things. I don't think it brings out the worst. As a couple of you stated it just shows how some of these people really are. Unfortunately the internet is a place where people are free to do what they please good or bad.
5992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
It definitely makes most people take a turn for the worse...
22469 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / North America
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
I knew that this would be related to last night's incident. I couldn't add much more as a few people have addressed the angles already including the boons as well as the bane in anonymity. The reason being its open nature, which leads to different outcomes with different people. The only comment I have about last night is "...".
11523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Void
Offline
Posted 6/21/14

Phersu wrote:

Last night

Hahahaha, that was a pretty good time, I even got banned for a day. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a long time. Too bad my posts got deleted. Either way, I act pretty much the same in real life as I do online, so anonymity doesn't really effect me, it just lets me say and do things that I might be prosecuted for otherwise.
8425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Honnouji academy
Offline
Posted 6/21/14
I see a lot of people here saying it brings the worst on people, i believe it's more of an anger outlet rather than just bringing up what's worst about you, it's like the opposite of those confession boxes they have in church, you're allowed to dish out all the insults you wish you hurled at the people you dealt with silence and obedience in real life, or even so the lack of human interaction makes you want to make a difference and be noticed, a lot of people ignore praises and taps on the back on the internet, but they sure as hell don't pass an opportunity to reply to a negative comment, so i guess at the end i'd say all of this is just loneliness crying for help and people that can't stand up for ideals and themselves through their own idendity, do so through their internet anonymous persona because there will be no repercussions, i think it has a very large spectrum, from cancerous youtube comment pages ( we've all seen how those go) to actual debates, people being people.
73962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 6/21/14

demongurrl13 wrote:

I don't think it makes us "worse" people. I believe that whatever despicable attitudes people display on the internet are innately there. It's just that the internet gives people more freedom to indulge those tendencies more often than they do out in public.

I mean.. None of us are walking angels. We have to conform and act accordingly when we're out just to keep up appearances. We bite our tongues most of the time to keep the peace and follow the rules to keep life simple. Being in a space where none of society's everyday restrictions are present usually lets people "let loose" somehow and speak freely without thinking things through or wondering about the consequences..

In short, the internet isn't a thing that creates assholes. It's the place where assholes are free to come and visit whenever they want.


Nicely said, Rin.
12459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 6/22/14
Well, we usually have our own rules, conventions etc (conscience) and the sort of rules of society (is that the superego? I always get confused) controlling us, as well as our sort of unconscious desires, impulses. ...Sort of regretting that last sentence. It's somewhat monstrous. Anyway, when we are anonymous, we have less controlling us and we are free to act in ways that society would shame us for if we did them publicly. And society isn't always right. That's why the internet is such an amazing tool for good. It gives people the freedom to communicate things they dare not say in their ordinary offline life.

I actually think this is not really a problem with the internet. I'm not even sure it's a real problem. Young people tend to test the boundaries of appropriateness in all parts of their lives. Some do this more than others. Learning restraint is part of becoming an adult. I know I was a nasty piece of work when I was 13-14 or so. I just found some old journals (and destroyed them). The web just allows that kind of behavior to be really public. I'm pretty sure most of the people who post nasty things on the internet actually grow up to be reasonable people.

Anyway, I always speak my mind, no matter whether I am anonymous or not. I'd be happy to sign my name to anything I have ever said. I don't think I am alone in this.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.